Twin Guns

Twin Guns

A Story by Nathan With the Words
"

Originally intended to be my July 29th free write, this became an exercise in writing action scenes. My goal was to describe the action so that people can see the same thing I see when I visualize it.

"

To Archimedes, there was nothing else around him. The rest of the world was simply a black abyss, all that truly existed was him. He slowly inhaled, and reached for the holsters on the sides of the his jacket, feeling the smooth and cool metal of his twin fire revolvers. He pulled them out slowly, then brought them to the same level as his head while quickly spinning them backwards. He flicked his wrists forwards, causing his revolvers to spin in the other direction. He tossed the one in his right hand into the air, simultaneously throwing the other one behind his back. As he grabbed the revolver he tossed behind his back with his right hand, he caught the other one with his left hand, letting them both spin after being caught. Both revolvers were thrown back into space, only to be collected again as Archimedes did a backwards flip to reach their level. Returning to the ground, Archimedes began juggling his weapons, occasionally reaching under his leg to make the throw more visually interesting. 

Shortly after his juggling display began, two additional items appeared in the black void: two posts, each with a glass bottle on them. The bottles had targets painted on them, and neither of them were that large. Archimedes smiled and brought his hands forward, unleashing a fire bullet from each revolver. Neither bottle survived. Another couple of pillars with bottles on top appeared to Archimedes’ left, and then two his right. Without moving the rest of his body, he aimed his revolvers at his sides, firing two shots from each, not missing a single target. 

Suddenly, Archimedes sensed an onslaught of clay pigeons at him from multiple directions. He quickly did a spinning jump in the air, and fired multiple shots from each of his revolvers. The pigeons quickly became nothing but dust and shattered pieces, not a single shot wasted. Another pigeon came at him from behind, but Archimedes felt like showing off this time. Without turning around, he spun the revolver in his right hand while pointing the revolver in his left hand backwards. He pulled the trigger, and pigeon was as good as finished. 

As Archimedes stopped to take a breath, he heard the sound of a large wooden contraption coming at him. Easily standing 20 feet tall with huge arms on its sides, it was covered in many painted targets similar to ones on the bottles from earlier. It threw out a swinging punch, which Archimedes easily dodged with a backflip. Just before landing on his feet, his revolvers unleashed another two rounds, which hit two targets on the front of the contraption. It responded with a series of jabs, which Archimedes dodged with no problem. He quickly dashed to the contraption’s left, firing two shots at a target painted on where the arm connected it to the rest of the contraption. Archimedes ran the rest of the way around the contraption, hitting the targets on its back other shoulder, removing the other arm. 

As Archimedes returned to the front of the contraption, a battering ram shot out at him. With a smirk, Archimedes jumped up and landed on the ram. He spun his revolvers again and began unleashing a rapid fury of fire bullets. Despite how random all the shots seemed, each of the targets pained on the contraption were destroyed, and not a single shot had been wasted. Archimedes then did a backflip, landing back on the ground. 

It was then that the rest of the world returned to him, and he was hit with a round of thunderous applause. “Ladies and gentleman!,” a man yelled while using magic to amplify his voice, “Our resident gunslinger, Archimedes “Twin Guns” Stryker!” Archimedes took a bow, feeling the passion of the crowd. He looked up, and saw hundreds of people all cheering and raising their fists in admiration and excitement. Spinning his revolvers one last time, Archimedes put them back into their holsters, and began walking out of the view of the audience.  

Upon finally escape the many eyes that had viewed his performance, Archimedes breathed a sigh of relief. “Alright, that’s enough for one day,” he said out loud to himself. “Twin Guns may be skilled, but even he has his limits.” He heard clapping, and saw his wife Venessa was waiting for him.

“Well done sweetheart!,” she said as she walked up to her husband and kissed him.

“Thanks honey,” Archimedes said after breaking from the kiss. Venessa smiled. 

“I don’t need to read your mind to know that your shoulders are pretty sore right now,” she said. She reached to Archimedes’ shoulder, causing him to wince and her to laugh. “If only your routine didn’t require so much excessive movement, you wouldn’t get to sore so often.”

“I know,” Archimedes said with a smile. “But it’s more entertaining that way. As the circus’ best acrobat, I know you know that.”

“Touché,” Venessa replied. And with that, the couple was off to their private tent to prepare some hot water and rags for Archimedes’ shoulders. 

© 2016 Nathan With the Words


Author's Note

Nathan With the Words
This is my first time writing an action scene as detailed as this, so leave what feedback you can to help me do better!
Also, the image used is Copyright to Capcom

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on July 30, 2016
Last Updated on July 30, 2016
Tags: Twin Guns, Twin, Guns, Story, Action, Pistols, Revolvers, Spinning, Revolver Spinning, Fantasy, Magic, Circus

Author

Nathan With the Words
Nathan With the Words

Columbus, OH



About
I'm a college student trying to see if being a writer is really the right thing for me, especially since I've spent the last 3 years thinking I want to be a professional musician. Right now I'm fo.. more..

Writing