Regrets

Regrets

A Story by Naveen Dennis Barnabas

Ben was pondering over the decisions he had made resulting in his current predicament. He was driving down the road, not knowing his destination; he was incessantly occupied in thoughts about what had happened earlier that day…

He was a rookie journalist and he had written an article about Jon, a respected man in the community. Ben had accused Jon of embezzling money through the charity that was run by him, the details of which was still unconfirmed; but somehow Ben had pushed the article through his editor. A defamation suit was levied on The Times, the newspaper with whom he was working on. To control the damage caused, his editor and chief fired him on the spot.

All he dreamed about was becoming a journalist but now it was all over! He had to search for another job, he can no longer stay in the same field as everyone in his circles knew that publishing an unconfirmed story would kill their career as a journalist. All he wanted now was a second chance. All he wanted was to go back and change that one incident in his life. All he wanted to do was to go back and stop him-self from submitting the story that changed his life forever. He wished there was something that could take him back; something like a ‘genie with a wish’ so that he could go back and right the wrongs in his life.

All of a sudden as though his prayers were answered he was back in his office, back to the day when he had submitted that article. He could see that his article wasn't submitted yet. He knew that he shouldn't give that article to the editor. He knew that he shouldn't force the story into the paper something he had done before. He couldn't believe that he was back, back to the day that changed his life. He could see the movement around him. He knew that there was nothing more “deja vu” than anyone else can experience. He could see one of his colleagues bid good bye to him one which he could remember. He could hear the printing press in the background. Then the editor called him about his story. Now he was sure that he was in the past and now he has to erase the things that were waiting for him in the future. He had to delay the story. He somehow convinced the editor that an article was on the way and bought himself sometime after which he came back to his booth. Relief spread across Ben’s face as recollected the things that happened to him. But, how was he here in the first place? In the days to come, the answer to that question seemed irrelevant to Ben as he climbed to the top. Fifty years later from this strange incident he had accomplished everything that he ever wanted to achieve. He was old now and was in his death bed. He was certain he was going to die but he would now die with no regrets.

After he died, he went to a place, place far away from where he was. He could see people dressed in white and a smell " he was somehow able to recognize that smell. He was coming into consciousness. It then hit him like a bolt of lightning. He had rammed into a truck the day he got fired and he was in a coma for 10 years. He could see the worried faces of his parents staying right by his bedside.

After all those years his parents were right there with him. Not giving up on him. Then he realized how foolish he had been. Had he been attentive he wouldn't have wasted 10 years but now he decided that he wouldn't sulk somewhere in the corner for a miracle that is never going to happen. He wouldn't wish that he could go back 10 years to undo the damage caused, rather he decided that he would do something fruitful with the time that was given to him.

© 2013 Naveen Dennis Barnabas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

When you introduce Jon I would add a last name. For a newspaper article its more realistic.
Nice clear and quick intro, great set up.
Remember that each new paragraph should be indented.
I love the message at the end, its a great moral and you have great writing talent :) I would suggest adding more to the middle, in his coma. How does he stop the cheif from running his story? I love the twist ending! Didn't see it coming at all. Great Job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love your writing style Naveen...pretty much reminds me of mine...great write :-)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Naveen Dennis Barnabas

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much ☺

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 25, 2013
Last Updated on April 30, 2013


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ant Ant

A Poem by zainul