Continuance (Age 19)

Continuance (Age 19)

A Poem by Andy Hackett

Life is the ultimate of repetitions. All other aspects of existence seem trivial in its shadow. A game can be entertaining, but then the glee dissipates and what you're left with is emptiness. A song can be encapsulating, and then eventually, as with everything, the feeling of something new and exciting sizzles out, and again the joy that was once immense is consumed. But against life, all of these things, music and games and art, become miniscule by comparison. Nothing consumes the heart and mind like life. What was once new and exciting becomes tiresome and painful. The monotony and boredom dull the mind and numb the senses. The harsh stinging truth of our existence becomes too much for some people, and sadly they are crushed by the weight of it, so they depart from the many and become the few, deserting this struggle for a chance to finally rest.

Sometimes I long for that ease.

Sometimes I am suddenly hit by it, the reality of existence, the cold hard fact of my continuance. But discontinuing this existence would be a sharp, devastating cruelty. The many I am one with struggle on through the maddening seconds of hours of days of years of centuries of millenia. To desert those I struggle with would be a cruel blow, a statement that I am more deserving of eternal peace. That can never be so. However, the slow drip of existence is still enough to cripple. And then, something, someone, enters my life. You. And suddenly existing isn't so terrible anymore. Suddenly I wish existing continued forever, until infinity loses all meaning. I just wish the feeling would come again. It's a while since I felt it, that intense willingness to be alive, to continue and to survive. All I have is this hope I'm holding onto. I need the feeling to return. I crave it. I wish I could find you.

© 2011 Andy Hackett


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really love this poem :)
Its really deep and heartfelt. I read it about 5 times now haha.
But its really really good. It made me think about some really deep questions about life. Your really inspiring :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 14, 2011
Last Updated on August 14, 2011

Author

Andy Hackett
Andy Hackett

Waterford, Ireland



About
Born on March 06th 1990. I play football avidly. I've been writing since I was about 11, but only really started writing regularly around the age of 13. Buddy Wakefield is my food and water w.. more..

Writing