The pen

The pen

A Story by Stanley Wilson
"

revenge

"

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword. When you are covered in bruises from yet another beating from the neighbourhood bullies it’s a very bitter pill to swallow. Uncle Ned had always said “remember boy you are a wordsmith and the pen is mightier than the sword.” During those days I wanted the biggest sword not the ability to spell. Foreman and his henchmen had found their way into the justice system by the time we were 14 so I was left to follow my words, occasionally having to deal with them when they were out of prison and the ending was always the same. A few bucks worse off and a new bruise to show for it.

Now I think about it all these years later Ned was right. After all without the pen there wouldn’t be skyscrapers or boats and planes. Weapons to destroy ourselves, inventions abound they all came from the pen. Films that make you weep and cry they came from the pen. Music that moves us and makes us want to dance, the stage show that allows us to escape from our lives that came from the pen. That prescription from the doctor that cleared your chest now that also came from the pen.

My arch nemesis the boy that taunted me all my life for understanding and loving words was stood in the dock in front of me awaiting his sentence. I paused before delivering and looked deep into his eyes. The same cocky and arrogant demeanour I wondered if he would recognise me he should do, that long scar was put on my cheek by him. There was just a hint, a glimmer from him and was it a look of fear? “Twenty years and you may apply for parole after serving a minimum of fifteen...bailiff take him down.” Yes Foreman guess what?? The pen after all is mightier than the sword Uncle Ned you were right.

© 2012 Stanley Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Heh, the last laugh... I enjoyed reading this, great story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I enjoyed this - I like the paragraph form you've written it in - The pen is quite powerful indeed :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stanley Wilson

11 Years Ago

Thanks very much glad you enjoyed it
Your Uncle Ned was right, and so are you. The sword can only destroy. The pen can not only create but eventually destroy the sword.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stanley Wilson

11 Years Ago

Thanks marie really apreciate your review
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JLe
I quite like this. It's true what they say - the ones who were the cool kids at school end up, well, like Foreman... Nice story, thanks for sharing it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stanley Wilson

11 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind words glad you enjoyed it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2012
Last Updated on September 10, 2012

Author

Stanley Wilson
Stanley Wilson

Helston, Cornwall, United Kingdom



About
Work in the NHS. Cat lover. more..

Writing
Passing Passing

A Story by Stanley Wilson