The Time Traveller's Mission

The Time Traveller's Mission

A Story by starfast
"

"I realized that I had the ability to make someone's life better. And that was what I was going to do. Or try to do anyways."

"
There was nothing too spectacular about the house that I arrived at. It looked just like every other house in the neighbourhood. Two stories high, with two cars parked in the paved driveway that was decorated with chalk drawings.

I pulled the crumpled newspaper clipping out of my bag. I skimmed over it quickly, for the thousandth time. I rehearsed what I was going to say in my head, so that I wouldn't screw up when the time came.

Ever since I found out that I could time travel, I had been determined to use my powers only for good. I'm not sure how I even acquired my powers. It was like I just woke up one morning and there they were. Once I knew they were there, I wasn't going to ignore them. Well, I was at first. I was scared. But once I realized exactly how much I could do, I changed my mind . I realized that I had the ability to make someone's life better. And that was what I was going to do. Or try to do anyways.

I pulled on the blue and silver Mexican wrestling mask that I bought on a holiday a few years ago. I decided it would serve as my disguise until I could find something better. Admittedly, I felt stupid wearing a Mexican wrestling mask while the rest of me was dressed like the teenaged girl that I was in a red peacoat and grey uggs. I knew that embarrassment would be but a small price to pay. If everything went over well, the man I was here to see wouldn't even recognize me.

I strode confidently up to the door and knocked. This was it. No turning back now. I took a deep breath as I heard the doorknob turn. I had to finish what I came here to do. My heart began pounding in my chest.

It was a tall, dark haired man who answered the door.

"Are you Jacob Collins?" I made my voice sound lower and raspier as I spoke, so that Jacob couldn't recognize my voice.

Jacob looked at me suspiciously. "Yes," He said.

"Daddy who's at the door?" A young girl around eight years old came to the door. Her blonde curls bounced as she ran to her father's side.

I smiled, for I'd always had a soft spot for young children.

"No one, Claire bear," Jacob said sweetly to his daughter, "Why don't you go play with your brother?"

Claire nodded, she looked at my mask curiously before running off at her father's suggestion.

"Ok," Jacob said, "Now that my daughter's gone, who the hell are you, and what do you want?" His tone was firm, but quiet, as if he still expected to find his young daughter lingering about.

"Listen," I said, "Please, just listen. Tomorrow when you come home from work, take Cardinal Road home. There's going to be a huge accident on Cedar street, and I'm sure your wife and kids would want you to get home safely."

"That's very kind of you," Jacob said, "But no offence, I don't have any real reason to believe you."

"You have to," I said desperately, "You must listen to me." I reached into my bag and grabbed the newspaper clipping . I thrust it into Jacob's hand. "Read," I demanded.

"37 year old man dies in fatal accident after being hit by a drunk driver."

"How old are you Jacob," I asked.

"Thirty seven," He responded in a scared whisper.

"Now," I said, "Keep reading."

"A man identified as successful realtor Jacob Collins was killed in a car crash on Cedar street after being hit by an intoxicated driver. Collins was airlifted by helicopter to the St Luke's Hospital, where he died shortly after..."

"I think you get the point now, yeah?" I asked him.

"Yeah," Jacob said, "I get it now. Thanks. Unless this is a joke, in which case I may have to call the cops."

"Please don't do that," I said, "Just remember what you've been told. Promise. You can even hang on to that newspaper clipping."

"Where did you get that anyways?" Jacob asked me.

"The newspaper delivery boy.," I said, which was technically true. Jacob didn't need to know that it would actually be delivered to his own doorstep in a few days.

"The date says August 2nd 2006. That's just a few days from now."

"That's unimportant," I said dismissively. I started shaking from nervousness. For some reason, I hadn't expected Jacob to notice the newspaper's date. There was no way I was about to tell him about my powers. He probably wouldn't believe me anyways."But what is important," I said, trying to sound confident, "is that you take Cardinal street tomorrow instead of Cedar."

"Or else I die," Jacob said bluntly.

"Now you're catching on," I said.

I felt confident now that Jacob was going to take my advice. "If I have your word that you'll take Cardinal instead of Cedar, then I'll leave you alone."

"Ok," Jacob said, "You have my word. I'll take Cardinal on my way home from work tomorrow."

"You're making a good decision, Jacob." I said, feeling certain that he wasn't lying to me. Then I turned and left. When I was positive that no one was around, I closed my eyes and thought of my own home in my own present timeline. I focused and focused until I was suddenly there. I pulled off the mask and shoved it in my bag before I walked up the driveway. I was nervous. I would find out soon if Jacob Collins would make it. The suspense was eating away at me since the whole journey began. Now, it was over. And hopefully it wouldn't all be for nothing. I opened up the door slowly.

"Claire Bear, is that you?" I had never been so happy to hear Jacob's voice.

"Yes dad," I said, "It's me, Claire."

© 2014 starfast


Author's Note

starfast
Not my best, I think. Just something that I wrote quickly on my phone that was vaguely inspired by recent events. Open to suggestions for a better title.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on August 7, 2014
Last Updated on August 7, 2014

Author

starfast
starfast

Canada



About
http://starfast99.deviantart.com/ more..

Writing
Meticulous Meticulous

A Story by starfast


Little Boy Little Boy

A Story by starfast


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by starfast