The conscious writings of a human mind

The conscious writings of a human mind

A Story by Nathaniel Taylor
"

A short story as told by a consciousness.

"
Where I walk, there is no other. Where I sleep, everyone stands. Or so I said, long ago.

It all started Monday morning, as the snow melted slowly on the rooftops. Mary, the girl next door, was playing outside. Making snow-angels in random spots in her front yard. An hour after she'd first gone outside, her mother came and yelled for her to come in. I hadn't missed a thing.

My life was one of wonder.

I asked many questions and saw them answered as quickly as they'd been asked. I can feel your questions as I tell you this.
What are you?
What's your name?
How do you know?
My answer is simple to each of these questions. I am nothing you can define. Your race hasn't yet a name for mine. But we do walk amongst you. Creating, inspiring and inevitably destroying.

Megendel, we call ourselves. I know not if it helps you understand, but that is beyond me.
The day of the snow angels, my very own keeper called for my presence. So I went downstairs and watched.

I watched as the food entered the boy's mouth, as it filled my mother's stomach as well. They were both engaging in basic human interaction. Things I have yet to understand completely. Your feelings are complex and your minds simple. It's almost mystifying. But as they ate, I brought him thoughts. He needed this education. As he went for the door, his mother kissed him and gave him a bag of food for the time he'd spend at "school".

He felt heartwarmed and ashamed at the same time. Complex, yes, but with basic thought. I forced him on the bus, and there he went. To begin the fulfillment of my life-long list of questions. He had no choice but to ask them, for he felt they were his own. And I got my answers as soon as I'd asked them. I learned language, math, brushing of teeth, science, art, history and emotion. I learned how to be human and how to use the knowledge gained in life for profit.

Exploitation, the basic human function seemed synonym for the function of money.

And as the boy became a man, so did I grow. And I brought new questions. Learning what it meant to live, to create and to have purpose. This one's purpose was to facilitate life. An interesting and, according to others, noble goal. In his final hours, it brought him nothing more or less than what soothing thoughts I brought him.

And then I had to go. Back to the great one, Gaia, the center of all. She took what knowledge I had and sent it to a new life. Another one of you to guide. It was she who I made to record my legacy. The sleepwalking sweetheart, Sarah Summers.
My new life.

© 2010 Nathaniel Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Please comment with your opinion on this piece.
That way, I can improve my writing. Of course, if you don't want to I won't demand you do it ;) that'd be selfish and wrong XD

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
1 Review
Added on October 2, 2010
Last Updated on October 2, 2010

Author

Nathaniel Taylor
Nathaniel Taylor

Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium



About
I'm a 20 year old Belgian. I've written all sorts of stuff and would like your comments. Anything you would like to know about me personally, you can always ask. I'll try to answer each question truth.. more..

Writing