Guild Wars 2 Fanstory

Guild Wars 2 Fanstory

A Story by Nathaniel Taylor
"

This is a story set in an Asura transport ship from the world of Arenanet's Guild Wars 2

"
"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard the TIS Blast wave. I'm your captain, Gerin Canstrol and I'll be piloting this bird all the way back to Tyria."
As the speakers carried the captain's voice across the entire ship, everyone was dead quiet. Not even the air purification processor made a noise as the captain continued.
"With us are a squad of 5 law enforcement officers we picked up from Vaule. They are experienced and highly skilled in the art of restoring order. If you're wondering about the tiny guy in the leather jacket and fingerless gloves. No. He is not a criminal. He's the Asura who opted to become the 5th member of the squad. And-"
"Excuse me," Jonathan interrupted, "but could ya not call it that please. I took this job to become known as an Anti-Threat Intervention Unit member."
"Right. Whatever floats your Golem. Now, as I was saying... And he used to be imprisoned before he turned his life around."
Greatly outraged by the mention of Jonathan's questionable past, the female Sylvari officer jumped in and screamed.
"This is an outrage captain! How dare you break your promise as not to mention his past!? He's a better man now!"
"Firstly, he's not a man," the captain replied simply, "he's an Asura. Secondly, I have an obligation to my passengers and crew. Not knowing if I can trust him is something I consider enough reason to let my people know who they're dealing with."
"You may have those obligations, captain. But breaking a promise is an act I shall not easily forget."
The passengers and crew looked at Jonathan for a long while, but ultimately looked away and went on with their daily routines. Jonathan took that short-lived invisibility as an opportunity to inspect the ship. Which went fine until he came out of the engine room with a device in his hand as he bumped into the captain's close friend and engineer Paulson.
"What were you doing near the engine?" You know you shouldn't be in there."
"Well," Jonathan started, "according to my diagnostic scanner's calculations, you're not running this ship at full capacity."
"That's nonsense, we ran diagnostic scans four days ago and they all came back fine."
"That might be so. But after optimizing the integrity of the quantum energetics algorithm I found that to be untrue."
"And how do you suppose we deal with these so-called flaws then?"
"Glad you asked. If you allow me to recalibrate the arcane flow from the secondary dual pulse accelerating accentuator, I can further increase the ship's forward propulsion output by an additional 40% in less than a day."
"Wait. You want us to do what to the what now?"
"Oh, no, no, no. I don't want you to do anything. I'll do the work myself. You see, I'm the only one who can successfully do it. Someone else could get it wrong."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Don't worry about it. Your species are still quite impressive for non-Asura. But as an Asura, I say our race are most qualified to apply these changes. By a long shot."
"You know what? You cave-dwelling..."
The female Sylvari officer, Amea watched from a distance as the human engineer became increasingly agitated as Jonathan became increasingly dismissive of the man's skills. It was an all too familiar sight for her. But then again, that kind of predictability was welcome in these uncertain times. Tyria being under attack from the dragons and other threats while Vaule drifted away into the blackness of space in peace and without worry. For now at least. Because, if the dragons of Tyria could awaken on Tyria. What was to stop the Titans on Vaule from doing the same exact thing?
Amea thought about this for a long moment, then looked up and away from her Asura squad mate. And as she did, she noticed another of her kin. A male Sylvari with green skin and almost black windswept crown leaves which mimicked hair almost perfectly. She found him to be an intriguing character. Especially since he wore a black cloth shirt and blue cloth pants, which was atypical from Sylvari she knew about. But somehow, she liked the look of him. Even more so since he was in such a hurry yet moved with undeniable elegance in his stride.
Not a second later, she saw him bump into the Charr ranger of her squad, Orven. A big mistake on any given day, but especially during his pet black widow spider, Vira's feeding time.
"Watch it, thorn weed! Or next time, by the Iron Legion, I swear I'll shred you!"
"Touchy." The Sylvari male said mockingly before casually making his way toward the lower deck.
The lower deck held the command centre, the engine rooms and the panoramic viewing room. So, thinking he would go there to enjoy the view, Amea turned away and sat near the illusionary waterfalls created by the Asura crew on the middle deck to feel more at home onboard. Ever since emerging from the pale tree, she loved the peaceful feel of water. Both in seeing and touching it.
Upon seeing Amea near the waterfalls, Akvir, the big male Norn of the squad, felt a rush of urgency to return to Tyria. Especially since the cries of Owl had fallen silent not long ago, thus denying him further guidance. His only hope was that Owl had survived the time of the great Norn exodus. But rumors from around the ship claimed Owl had perished. Akvir held on to his hope, regardless of this and watched over his fellow squad members with great attention.
Unfortunately for Akvir, he forgot about the strange Sylvari male who required his attention for obvious reasons.
As the port engine exploded and caught flame, that very same Sylvari ran out of the engine room closely followed by licking flames. The Sylvari ran past Jonathan and bumped into the female human squad member, Layana, who was on her way to the viewing room. The Sylvari apologized and quickly ran past Orven and toward the guest quarters. Thinking about the obvious 'when Sylvari see fire' pun, Orven snickered at the sight of the running male.
Catching something on his monitors during recalibration, Jonathan had run towards the port engine just before it went up in flames and stood there, quickly surrounded by three men. Among whom were the captain and engineer who already had their suspicions about Jonathan. They were putting the blame squarely on the ex-convict Asura they had in front of them. Mostly because according to them "recalibrating was just his way of rubbing it in." and "once a criminal, always a criminal!".
While the accusations flew around the room, Jonathan ran as quickly as he could to catch the Sylvari criminal and almost got caught himself while making his way up the spiral staircase leading to the upper deck.
"Stay where you are, you sabotaging, cocky son of a slime flower!"
"Fat chance, cave dwelling son of a brain dead mole!"
"That makes no sense what so ever!"
"Maybe it doesn't. But it sure as heck pisses you off!"
Jonathan, by then thoroughly irritated by the smug Sylvari, grabbed a knife and threw it at a well calculated angle, right in his target's foot. The wound revealing that he wasn't a Sylvari to begin with and almost making him hit Orven. His near hit, caused the pet spider to ensnare the Sylvari and Jonathan with its strong webbing. 
"Good job Vira," Orven roared, "you were dead on! Hahaha!"
"I wish," Jonathan commented, "you wouldn't derive so much pleasure from the fact that your domesticated arachnid just ensnared me in adhesive silken foot wraps."
"I have no idea what you just said, but your face is priceless! Hahaha!"
Orven kept laughing while Jonathan struggled to free himself. By the time the whole squad had gathered at the scene, he was already free and complaining in more words than any of them had ever thought possible.
"Well," Jonathan began, "seeing as his wound betrays his non-Sylvari nature, let's see what he is."
Jonathan, at that moment, took out his multispectral illusion piercing ocular module and began the full body examination. The examination revealed a cube-shaped device seemingly hovering inside the crown leaves. Jonathan figured it could only be an Asuran invention and so hit it with an electronic destabilizer. As the device failed, it revealed an Asuran scientist with features quite common among the Inquest. A meta-krewe which believes the Eternal Alchemy could be controlled and manipulated like any other machine.
"So you found me out. I suppose you're the supreme illusion busting smergle now, huh?"
"I don't know what a smergle is, but no. I'm the genius who caught you."
"Correction there, pea-body. I caught him thanks to Vira here, and you better thank her."
Jonathan had no intention of thanking an insignificant insect. Though he was willing to see reason when she raised her poisonous fangs in anger.
"Great," the criminal said, "a scruffy cat with horns and an attitude problem and a pet arachnid with a personality. What's next, a Dolyak with cold-resistant armor?"
"Shut it," Amea shouted suddenly, "tell us how you got that illusion projecting device!"
"Oh, that old thing? We took blood and tissue samples from the Sylvari I projected. The projection even feels real, I personally guarantee it."
"You son of a-"
"Calm down Amea. This isn't the place." Orven interjected.
"Fine. What happened to him!?"
"He passed out during testing." The Inquest scientist claimed, "He should still be alive though. Since my illusion's tied in to him."
"You better not lie!"
Seeing Amea getting closer to losing control, Layana grabbed her by the shoulders and escorted her to the passenger quarters behind an illusionary wall on the upper deck. Only when the illusion closed behind them did Amea start to calm down at least a little.
Meanwhile, back at the central floor of the upper deck, the rest of the squad continued to investigate.
"So," Akvir demanded, "why sabotage the engine port side?"
"Why not have good security there?" The Inquest scientist retorted.
"Don't test me, Asura. Why!?"
"If I told you, you wouldn't comprehend it."
"I should do nothing less than-"
"STOP!" Jonathan interrupted, "He will talk to me. Won't you?"
"If and when properly introduced," the Inquest scientist said, "I'll consider it."
Agitated, yet left with little to no options, Jonathan agreed to go through the usual pleasantries of conversation.
"Fine then. I am Jonathan Geon. Father called me Jon."
"An uncommon name. Mine's Boves. No last name though. It seemed too eccentric."
"Right. Boves. So, why would you go and blow up the port engine knowing it would not down us?"
"I would have blown up the other one, were it not for your work there. This ship's crew isn't dedicated enough. They don't have what it takes to control or manipulate the Eternal Alchemy and should be eradicated!"
"You daft dredge! The Eternal Alchemy cannot be controlled or manipulated! It can only be studied and researched."
"And that is why my illusions can mimic the feel of any skin? Hah! Your understanding of the arcane mechanic sub protocols is juvenile!"
Swiftly striking him in the head with his sword, Jonathan knocked Boves out with zero warning, leaving the rest of his squad awestruck.
"Before any of you comment, I have to say that we know all we need to. The Inquest is evolving."
The others, still awestruck by the impulse reaction of the unimpressive Asuran, were unable to recover quickly enough to say anything before the ship's speakers screeched.
"Ladies and gentlemen. I-"
"Excuse me sir. Best to say beings."
"What?"
"Gentle beings."
"Fine. Ladies and Gentle beings. I am pleased to announce that we have successfully re-routed the power to our starboard engine and forward stabilizers. We will be landing on Tyria in mere minutes. Please enjoy the lovely Kryta. Northern Province."

© 2012 Nathaniel Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on July 3, 2012
Last Updated on July 3, 2012

Author

Nathaniel Taylor
Nathaniel Taylor

Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium



About
I'm a 20 year old Belgian. I've written all sorts of stuff and would like your comments. Anything you would like to know about me personally, you can always ask. I'll try to answer each question truth.. more..

Writing