The trials of the other realm

The trials of the other realm

A Story by Nathaniel Taylor
"

Written spontaneously

"
Trevor used to be wise. Nothing much changed over the years, yet he seems to have lost all wisdom he had. Shaking his fur lined cloak out, he smiled at a passing sparrow. He knew this creature from a dream. In that dream, he had been a sorcerer. Wise and strong, yet somewhat fragile looking. All he knew now was how fragile he did look and the lack of both wisom and strength that had befallen him.

He was not one for mysticism, this he knew. Yet all dreams he could remember were about that exact topic. He felt like something was wrong, something fundamental. But his old mind could not grasp what it was. It was only when he lay down in his bed, late at night that he would find out. For when he lay down, a voice sounded silently at the bedside wall.

"Trevor," it whispered "we need your wisdom once more".

Shaking his head, Trevor stated he had none. The still voice grew louder and high in pitch.

"People are dying," it pleaded "OUR people".

Trevor stood then, took his robes from the hook at the far wall and went to sit at his table to calm himself. Suddenly, a small man stood on the table in front of him and yelled his name. "Tre vor"! The tiny man's voice grew impatient and his body red.

"What can I, as an old man, possibly have to offer you"? Trevor demanded.

The tiny man flew up and drew a mirror, seemingly out of the air, which he placed in front of Trevor.

"Tell me what you see". The tiny man said.

Yet when Trevor gazed into the mirror, he saw not his own reflection but the vision of a green pasture where tiny men and women cheered.

"What is this trickery?" Trevor asked, somewhat shocked.

The only answer he got was a hearty laugh from the tiny man and the pasture's inhabitants. Somewhat insulted, Trevor stared at the tiny man with a fiercely demanding expression.

"Tis the world you helped sustain." the tiny man stated.
"Which world?" Trevor demanded.
"The world of Aelolaein. World of magic." the tiny man said with amazement.

Trevor sat back and stared at the table in front of him.
Were the dreams then not dreams as he had thought?
Were they the memories of a past life? And if so, what happened to him to make him forget?
The sudden flood of questions exhausted him and so with the promise of returning soon, he rested. He rested upon the quilt of his father and the pillow of which the origin was unknown. And when he woke the next day, the tiny ones awaited his return.

Trevor sat once more before the mirror and said: "People of the other realm, this I vow. I will return to walk amongst you and I shall learn what once I was".

Within the cheering crowd, one stood still. It was a tiny man in purple, velvet robes. He could see the tiny robed man stretch toward the mirror's surface. Trevor couldn't help but stare at the mirror in disbelief as the tiny man slowly broke through the surface and in a swift motion, wrapped his arms around Trevor's body. Trevor hadn't even the time to scream before his head went through the mirror. The rest of his body soon followed and Trevor's surprise was all the greater when he noticed he too was shrinking.

When it was all over, Trevor stood amongst the cheering tiny ones in the robes he'd seen in his dream. And so began the trials of the magic realm which, if completed in time, could mean the destruction of the ultimate threat. Dearalnaegon.


              To be continued . . .

© 2010 Nathaniel Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Made a few adjustments so the story makes more sense.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Added on October 5, 2010
Last Updated on October 6, 2010

Author

Nathaniel Taylor
Nathaniel Taylor

Wilrijk, Antwerp, Belgium



About
I'm a 20 year old Belgian. I've written all sorts of stuff and would like your comments. Anything you would like to know about me personally, you can always ask. I'll try to answer each question truth.. more..

Writing