Find me lonely, Find me dead

Find me lonely, Find me dead

A Chapter by Nettie Venerix

Chapter 1: Find me lonely, find me dead

                It was a huge surprise that the large building still stood when so many around it had long crumbled into sad dust and rubble. Other than a few rare sights there was a miniscule amount of evidence of the former glory the city once had. The heavy droplets of the rain stomped on the ceiling with merciless steps like an angry giant. Yet there was a peaceful tranquil air within the church.

                The shadows of the rain over the stain glass window had somehow reflected across the interior walls creating a majestic, nearly godly atmosphere. In the church there are still perfect, untouched mahogany benches where many souls probably once sat. If you look closely you can see remnants of the past. A rebellious teenage couple who had carved their name to preserve for an eternity “Melanie & George” topped off with a heart. A stain of who-knows-what left behind when a kid couldn’t hold his lunch, and of course an area where the bench was entirely carved out when a dying elderly woman had a dream that she must have a “holy wooden cane” to survive. Of course this is all merely speculation, you could come up with your own theories, the former are no longer here to separate our truths from lies.

                This is not the most impressive piece of human history of course, not that there are many left. However there is a larger, more acknowledgeable view close by. It is of a man, the name plate has long been worn away. He is clad in knight’s armor and has a rather valiant expression on his face. With a thick mustache and a commendable beard he looks to the ceiling. Who is he, a former king, a hailed deity? This too is up for speculation. Near the base of this statue is a man-made pond. It is possible it once held fish of impressive colors, but once again merely speculations. If fish did once live there, they must have decomposed to the point where even their bones perished into fleeting dust not worth remembering.

                On an ordinary day (what is considered ordinary?), this area would be completely silent, its sanctity radiating like the garden of heaven untouched by flawed human hands. Today however, is another story. A soft voice sings the sound echoing off the walls. It is not a great voice that could be considered what we would know as “sensational” or a “big hit” but never the less it is calming. Another more feminine voice joins in shakily later on.

 

Bring me to another world where life is simple and kind.

Let’s end this painful life of hide, seek, and find.

Let us take a bow, close the curtains and dim the lights.

It matters not if we sink or take flight.

                It is a tuneless melody. How it came to be is unknown, but it is a sad recital of mourning and despair. It is clear as day that the duo wants to break down and cry right there, but their tears have long since dried up. They lay down on the benches, head close together whispering the rest of the song.

 

Our imagination is all we need

For they already fed us lies and deceit

 

The male drifts of into a slumber first, but is shortly followed by the female who sheds but a single tear.



© 2012 Nettie Venerix


Author's Note

Nettie Venerix
Please review! Every note is appreciated, whether it be constructive criticism, praise, or nearly anything else!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i think this is very good but you need to make it more fun to read


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Added on February 24, 2012
Last Updated on February 24, 2012


Author

Nettie Venerix
Nettie Venerix

NY



About
Hello there! I'm am definitely not a professional writer or anything even close. However, I do LOVE to write. I've never been good at sharing my work with others but I hope to be more open with my w.. more..

Writing