The pain Behind the Mark : The Face tattooed women

The pain Behind the Mark : The Face tattooed women

A Story by Nibedita Pradhan

Face, is a medium of exposure of emotions. And emotions are the experience gained from someone or by doing something, basically a reaction towards the happenings surrounding us. Isn't it? But this is very simple. Can't we term it as a mirror that can capable of making fake expression by hiding emotions?

One of my visits to a Tribal place, named 'Gutingia' a beautiful rustic world surrounded by wondrous scenic beauty, crop lands and mountains, seems the nature itself nurturing them. I came across the people of that tribal countryside, wrapped themselves with cloths in a different way, having a misinterpret language, seemed not much educated but culturally rich. They give credence to croplands, mountains and animals as the unavoidable part of their livelihood. The contribution of women is higher than men in Economy. The famous thing that publicized about them is the beautiful tattoo on the faces of women. They inked the tattoo in some geometrical patterns. 

I gazed at a woman looking so adorable and amazed to know that they used thrones to draw the tattoo on the skin. How painful it must have been!

But why did these aboriginal women have to do such painful act? Is it related to any of their cultural practices? or what else cause grounded for this? I asked to a vernacular person, named Shashank, who seemed strikingly able to communicate with me. He asked a woman, passing nearby, to answer. She said, she had this mark since when she was 7 years old.

In actual fact, during the British ruling in India, the white devils (in her words) i.e., some foreign employees who were in charge of that area back then, used to ask for girls, women to molest them. And for so many years this process was going on. And they also used to make them work as a slave. The parents were also becoming so unprotected. That era was so miserable and mortifying to take a trip down memory lane.

Drawing tattoo on the skin was normal for Aboriginals, as they have already known about this. Therefore, the villagers once decided that if their girls would look ugly then only, they can be save from that cruelty. Hence, they decided to draw tattoos on the faces of girls from the early age, that was to be using thrones. How torturous was that to get by!

Indeed, Women were and are powerful back then and today also. She sentenced again, though we are looking ugly in everyone's eyes, but deep down we know how this mark and the pain behind it made our life to live with freedom from such purgatory act.

So, Face is an important part of our identity. Every face is beautiful and unique.

 

 

© 2021 Nibedita Pradhan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on June 5, 2021
Last Updated on June 6, 2021

Author

Nibedita Pradhan
Nibedita Pradhan

Bhubaneswar , ODISHA, India



About
"Should express the very first thought that comes in your mind and should not ignore this because of this thought is yours"- inspired by this thought of the American Transcendentalist Ralph Waldo Emer.. more..

Writing