Little Paranoias

Little Paranoias

A Story by Nicolas Jao

A spring breeze settled in on a quiet park one innocent afternoon. Old ladies sat on the benches that lined the path. Joggers bounced to the beat of the music in their ears. Mothers watched their children by the sidelines of wood chip floored playgrounds. The children played gleefully, unaware of the thoughts of safety from their mothers. A thirty-five-year-old man was enjoying the peace of his surroundings.


He was reading a book on a bench when a five-year-old girl came up to him.


Hi! What are you reading? she asked.


The man looked up from his book, seeing her standing in front of him with a toothy smile.


It’s about a talking dog, he lied.


She giggled, amused by his answer.


What does the dog do? she asked.


Oh, a lot of things! he said. He has superpowers, so he goes around the city fighting bad guys.


The young girl stepped closer to him.


That sounds really fun, she said, interested.


It is! He catches lots of squirrels that try to rob banks. But his main villain, you see, is this evil cat genius. He has an eyepatch and his meows are very deep. He always smells like rotten fish, and no matter what, the super dog can’t seem to beat him.


The little girl laughed. She jumped on his lap, her back facing him. Tell me more! she said, looking at the open book in his hands.


The man told her all about the adventures of the dog and his battles with the evil cat. She was delighted. She reached for the book in his hands.


Can you read it to me? she asked, touching the pages.


Of course, he said.


He looked up and saw a woman across the park giving him a dirty stare. It was very surprising and immediate. Then he understood, and was hit with a wave of worry.


A shiver ran down his back. His face drooped and anxiety filled him.


Actually, maybe another time, he cautiously said.


Aww, why not now?


He glanced to his right and saw two old ladies looking at the little girl and then around for her mother.


Not today, he said. I actually have to go to work, soon.


Will you be here tomorrow? I go to this park every day. I want to hear more about the super dog!


Two mothers on his left a distance away were sneaking glances at him and conversing quietly with fearful expressions.


The man suddenly felt the little girl’s weight on his knee.


I really have to go, he said.


In a hurry, he gently but awkwardly slid her off his lap to the side of the bench.


The little girl now looked up at him with pleading eyes.


Pretty please? With a cherry on top?


Without looking, he could feel the cold presence of multiple eyes watching him. He closed his book and stood up. He wrapped his trench coat around him.


Promise you’ll be here tomorrow? she asked hopefully.


I promise, he lied, with no plans of returning. See you. Have a good day.


Okay! I’ll be here at the same spot!


He abruptly left the park.


Far away, a mother stared at him as he did, not breaking her gaze as she dialled three digits on a phone and brought it up to her ear.


###

© 2022 Nicolas Jao


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4 Views
Added on October 1, 2022
Last Updated on October 1, 2022

Author

Nicolas Jao
Nicolas Jao

Aurora, Ontario, Canada



About
Been avidly writing since I was six. Short stories and miscellaneous at the front, poems in the middle, novels at the end. Everything is unedited and may contain mistakes, and some things may be unfin.. more..

Writing