Humant

Humant

A Story by Nicolas Jao
"

Written when I was 12 years old!

"

 Humant

By Nico Jao


Chapters:


Prologue 1: Retrospect

Prologue 2: Phoenix


Part 1: Peace Is Not a Privilege

Chapter 1: May

Chapter 2: Eohippus

Chapter 3: Rippertorias

Chapter 4: Myrmidons

Chapter 5: Journey 


Part 2: Serenity Always Leads You

Chapter 6: Cordyceps 

Chapter 7: The Diatrymas

Chapter 8: Revealing

Chapter 9: The Key

Chapter 10: The Eternity Hall

Chapter 11: The Generator


Part 3: Extinction Is Near

Chapter 12: The Ants

Chapter 13: Broken

Chapter 14: Ionicscon

Chapter 15: White Death

Chapter 16: Grieving

Chapter 17: The Eternal Archives

Chapter 18: The Truth

Chapter 19: The Infinity Chamber


Hope Is What Matters - The Epic Finale

Chapter 20: The Gift


Epilogue: Humant













Peace Is Not a Privilege







Retrospect

July 17-1


It was the dawn of a new era. Years ago, scientists found an extraordinary milestone in evolution. With ten thousand years of mutation, they finally confirmed what they had become. And what they will forever be.

These creatures are ants. They wouldn’t seem too amazing or mind-blowing to you, or even interesting. But scientists guarantee they will be. In a matter of time, they predicted they would mutate so vastly they would become the size of us. They would still have the proportional strength and speed of the old ants, meaning they could lift fifty of themselves. With their six legs forming into two arms and two legs, their abdomen morphing into a regular body, and them going into an upright position, the newly evolved ants would be just like us, but they would keep their antennas and heads. They would have hard plates folded into their skin like body armour.       Just even, they would gain the same amount of intelligence as us. Meaning they could colonize, build structures, invent and create, think and learn, and manipulate the world around them as they like. The world we both live in.

Everybody is excited for our new friends. They predict they will be in commission in a few weeks. We will help them, support their needs, and form a bond of friendship nothing would break with our new allies. With them and us, the two dominant species on the planet, will help each other to succeed to pass through any obstacle in our paths. 

The whole world, every single citizen, has agreed to welcome these new creatures into our world with a memorial they would like. Something that would be remembered forever. 

A new era. The last era lasted for ten thousand years until the ants came. We thought the big event that was happening with the ants was enough reason to start a new era. Starting the years back at one, we would continue from on forward. 

It was the Era of the Ants.

Everybody is anticipating the arrival of these new beings. Everybody will work together to make sure they will achieve our level. We would make the most glorious empire in human history. 

Of course, that is, if it would work. 

Only time will tell.


June 17-50


Year fifty of the new era. Already humanity started having problems. 

The Ants learned quick. They were curious about everything. They knew us. They understood us. They were capable of so much. 

We taught them everything we knew. They learned like they’ve never before. Soon the land we gave them was most of what’s left of the Amazon rainforest, and Antarctica. But they populated quick. 

They were able to build everything we humans could. They learned our languages. Soon they were intelligent enough to make categories for their species, and specific jobs specialized for them.

Fire Ants and army Ants were the hunters. They killed the animals in the area for them to eat. In the evolutionary process, they were now able to eat the things we could eat. 

Builder Ants created their structures. Instead of hills they built buildings out of the materials the harvester ants mined. They produced as one big colony, or multiple colonies helping each other out. They learned so quick, we didn’t have to help them as much. Which was good. 

As planned, we made our agreement. To never hurt the other race, and to help each other when in need. We created an alliance between our races, and we became good friends. We built our civilizations together, as a democracy from both races. It was all good.

We let them grow and prosper on their own, and let them mind their own business. We got less fond of them over the years. They soon almost forgot our presence on this planet. They forgot who had taught them, who had supported them, and who had let them into our world. 

And that’s when we started having problems. The pupils forgot their masters. They saw how great and powerful they’ve become. They’ve realized their true potential.

They saw what they could do. They knew they were physically more powerful than us. They knew our weaknesses. They knew they were capable of overthrowing their masters. 

And so the first attack began.

Our new allies betrayed us. A fine day in summer, a military base spotted one of their hovercrafts soaring by, and they let them through into one of our most populated cities.

But they never landed. Instead, they flew above the skyscrapers, and dropped a huge thing from the sky.

A nuke. 

The explosion turned every single human into a crisp. They didn’t know what hit them. Buildings collapsed, windows shattered, fiery wisps of flames and smoke rose from the air. Hot inferno heated up the area over millions of degrees. 

It left a lifeless, desolate, desert wasteland, full of nothing but radiation and toxic goo. 

The military went to investigate. They thought it was their own race. Maybe some heartless terrorists who wounded up the destruction.

But no. We found out traces of unmistakable evidence. It was the Ants.

We were dumbfounded. Astonished. Bewildered. We never saw this day coming. It was the day where the student betrayed the master. It was inexplicable. Unexplainable. 

And impossible.

We were so surprised we took account into defence extents instantly. We set up outposts, radars, and anti-air defences. We watched over our whole continents. We made security measures, defence systems, built weapons and vehicles. We  sent scouts their area, to see what they were up to.

The scouts never returned.

When the second attack launched, we knew didn’t know what to do. They planned everything so carefully, we couldn’t expect anything.

It was a sea assault. Battleships on the ocean sailed until they reached the coasts of our dockside cities. They cloaked themselves to look like human tankers. Then they fired missiles at us. 

They destroyed everything. Nothing was left. 

Humanity didn’t know what to do then. It seemed like the Ants were smarter. It was like we’ve taught them too much. 

A global domination war occurred. Us having less power, but having most of the planet, we surrounded them. 

But unknowingly, they’ve built space stations in orbit of the planet, with most of them being on the moon. They personally ripped our nation flags on the moon and placed their own. They conquered every inch above the atmosphere of the earth. 

We’ve had a big struggle to defend against them. With them having more types of species, we were severely overpowered and outnumbered. There was no such thing as safe anymore.

We started building underground facilities for protection from above. There, we made programs and machines that manufactured war tanks and weapons. High tech gear and armour was produced there. We’ve built ant-eater tanks to resemble their predator. We’ve invented rolling vehicles called armadillos. And horned lizard helicopters. All natural predators to terrify them.

When we mass produced a lot of them, we got ready for war. We evacuated the city on the outskirts of our continents and moved the people into more protected ones. We set up bases and barricade protocols to block them.

Most saddest of all, we murdered them. 

Every single Ant family living in our cities, we killed. We slaughtered. They died with having no faults. Only the faults of their race’s actions caused them to die. They were discriminated upon us.

It was a sad time for the new era. The peace treaty was broken. We’ve never expected anything like this to happen when we were waiting for their arrival. 

It was a new world. A new life for everybody.

In this war.

Nobody is safe. 

Phoenix

January 1-43


One day, a child was born. He was born before the war. And little did anybody know that he was special. He was the most important boy in the history of the earth. Some say he saved the human race. 

But people tried to stop him. Many people. And it was for a cause. The Ants began the war with the humans. And the boy wanted to stop it. 

People thought he was crazy at the time. Why stop a war with the enemies who started it? The Ants provoked us! We should strike back! 

Nobody knew the Ants were smarter. They had no civil wars. They were master strategists. They showed no mercy. Most of all, they were physically stronger than us. Powerful. Ruthless. Incredible. Some would even say epic. 

Because they were. But this boy with a gift, he dedicated his whole life to stop the war, ever since he was seven. No matter how bad the case was, no matter how powerful the enemy became, he still saw something that nobody else on the earth saw: a chance to restore the peace.

Nobody believed that one mere boy could do anything. Phoenix Hyper was just a regular mortal who had a regular life. But that’s because those people who believed that viewed the situation as hopeless. 

But Phoenix was there to give hope. Hope to stop the killing. And to restore the peace.

June 17-49


Someone once told me that peace was not a privilege. You had to earn it first. And you had to earn it through war. I, to this day, never believed in that idea. Peace was something we all carried in ourselves, even if it was a lot or a little. But if we use it, then we could restore the gap between the two races.

My name’s Phoenix. I’m six. My parents never told me why they named me that, but you can just call me Nix. My family, my parents and I, including my little one year old brother, were standing in the parade with a huge crowd cheering nonstop. It was the anniversary of the Ants’ evolution. The crowd consisted of humans and Ants alike, but the parade was dedicated for the Ants to congratulate them on their achievements.

I was told that I was too young to remember the lights, the sounds, the cheering. Only the cold, darkness of the night. The night before everything changed.

It was the night before the violence. The next day I remember lying on the couch with my parents. My mom was cradling my baby brother in her arms. My dad was searching through the channels for something to watch. Then he spotted the News.

I was told that it was terrible. I didn’t remember the cries through the screen of the television. I didn’t remember the gunfire and the final devastating explosion inflicted upon the city. But even when I was six, watching through the screen of the television from the beginning of the attack to the final bomb, I got really, really scared. I remember hugging my parents while they were murmuring about why the Ants would do such a thing. I didn’t want my life to change. But it was 

about to, for better or worse. And that day I got so scared I thought, I should do something. 

We all should do something. I’ve been told about how friendships can get so broken they can never be repaired. I knew stories of nations who were still enemies to this day. I didn’t want that to happen with the Ants. I knew that if we fought back, things can never be the same again.

But I knew I was too young to make a difference. Even if I wasn’t, I knew I would be discriminated. People would call me a rebel, a traitor to my kind. A person who loved the Ants so much, he would cost everything to help them. But that wasn’t true. 

I loved both races. I would give everything up to repair the Alliance. It was my life’s dream. 

But I knew I had to wait it out. And endure the pain of each attack on the human race just a bit more, every day. 









1: May 

December 10-50


One day, a refugee came to my house.

It was one year after the first attack. People were still cowering in fear from the power of our enemies. It was a dark time. Money was scarce, shops were shutting down, and people were locking their doors. 

Even when I was seven, I remembered being scared to go downstairs to get a glass of water. I remember imagining that I would find ants there, crawling around, eating our food. But I knew better. They were intelligent now. 

I remembered every detail. I went down to get a midnight snack. My parents had bolted every window in our house. But as I came down the stairs I saw someone shivering outside in our alleyway, in a torn blanket. 

I knew where my dad kept his hammer. Pretty soon I found it, went up on a stool, and smashed it upon the bolts in the windowsill. I dropped it as it clanged heavily on the floor. Then I pulled the window up. 

It was a girl. About my age. 

“Hey,” I said, “whatcha’ doing out here?”

She didn’t answer.

“Come inside,” I told her, “it’s warm in here. What’s your name?”

Finally, she spoke. “M-m-May.”

“May?” I said. “What a lovely name. Come in! I’ll get you food.”

I helped her through the windowsill and brought her to the couch. Then I gave her two extra blankets. I went to the cupboard and got her some cookies.

“What’re you doing out here?” I asked as she nibbled bit by bit.

“The Ants took my home.” she said. “Mommy, daddy, gone.”

I remembered at that time I felt so sorry for her. She was a refugee from not so far away. It scared me to think that they were close. That they were going to come here next. 

“You’ll have a place here.” I told her. “Never be alone again.” I handed her another cookie. 

“Th-thanks.” she said as she shivered, munching hungrily.

“Wait here!” I said. I raced up the stairs to get my parents. 

I remembered their reaction. Their sorry faces. Their frightened faces. As they came down the stairs they got freaked out that I brought a dirty refugee child into the house. A reaction I would never forgive to this day. 

“Nix! What have you done?” my mother cried. 

“Her mommy and daddy are gone. We have to help her!” I cried out to them.

“We already have you and your two-year old brother to take care of. We don’t have the money and space!” my father said sternly to me.

“B-but she has no home!” I said. 

“We’ll find a refugee camp tomorrow.” my mother said. “We just can’t afford another person in the house.”

I remembered bawling up there. “She needs help now! This is how you treat someone who lost everything? This is what the war makes us? Careless?”

I couldn’t believe my parents. They wouldn’t take in just one more person?

“I’m sorry Nix, but we can’t take her in.” my father finished.

“FINE!” I said. “Then I’ll take her in!”

I went over to her resting in the couch. “Come on May, follow me. My parents don’t want you.”

“Why?” she said quietly. 

“Because they’re mean!” I said. “Here, I’ll take you to my room.” 

We went up the stairs as my parents argued about her. I wouldn’t forgive them after that.

“Have my bed.” I said, as I cleaned it up. “I’ll sleep in the couch downstairs. Don’t worry, you have a home here.”

That was the end of that night.

After that, my parents still wouldn't take her in. She was forced to go out every day, but every night I welcomed her in with food, warmth, and a home. And a person who cared about her.

And that was the real reason I wanted to stop the war. I couldn’t bear the fact that there might be hundreds, thousands of people just like May out there. From that day forward, I dedicated my life to stop the war.

March 4-53

It took three years to find her grandparents. Three years.

It was a hard life for the both of us. I had to sneak her in every night, trying to give up as much of my life as possible. When we were ten, I finally found her grandparents. After days of searching, years of surfing on the net, I found the address, and without my parents knowing, we snuck out to bring her there.

We had no car. We just packed food and water for the trip. It was a long walk, but we managed. I finally found May a home.

“Thank you for helping me, Nix.” she said, her hand on my shoulder. “You were a great friend.”

“Don’t mention it.” I said, even though I blushed a little. “My parents were jerks. I’m not.”

“I guess this is goodbye?” she asked.

“No, I’ll visit you.” I promised. “But now you have a real home here. Safe from the Ants. What happened to you will never happen again. I swear.”

“I’ll never forget you.” she hugged me. Then walked up the steps of her grandparents’ house with her luggage, waving goodbye as they took her in.

It was that day I felt like I actually did something. I actually helped with the war. I helped a refugee. And it was that day I realized, everybody had the chance to become a hero. To maybe restore the peace. But the only problem is that they never believed it. Or maybe they did, but they gave up knowing it was hopeless, but it wasn’t. I swore that day I would never give up unless I tried my best. I would make a small difference, every single day.

And it started out with my next friend.








2: Eohippus

June 1-55


My life pretty much went back to normal from there. No exciting activities, no change in the war, just a normal day. 

I was twelve already, but I still felt like I wasn’t old enough to do anything big yet. I actually didn’t know any plans either. I was tired of waiting out, too. It has been six years since the first attack, and I’ve been living a hard life since.

A long time ago, school shut down. Safety precautions because of the war. As far as I knew, I didn’t know where the Ant attacks were going, but it had never reached near our area yet. I felt safe here. 

Without school, or any learning programs, or even the library, I was bored in my home. My brother was seven now, the age I was when I had found May. And since he was born in a world without school, it was up to me to teach everything I knew.

“Multiplying is basically the same as adding a bunch of times.” I told him, pointing with my pencil. “Like, three times three is three plus three plus three.”

I could tell from his confused face that he didn’t understand.

“What?”

“Just�"you’re only a grade one. Whatever. Focus on your adding and subtracting.”

He scribbled down more notes on his single notebook. 

Materials were scarce from the war, too. This was probably our only notebook in the house.

“Is it true that the Ants are coming for us, Nix?” he asked as he answered math questions in his notebook. “What’re we going to do when they come?”

I sighed. “Just focus on your�"“

“What about your friend?” he asked. “She might know more about the war. I’m kinda bored sitting here all day long. When do I get to meet her?”

“I don’t know, okay?” I said, truthfully. “We might not. Mom and Dad said I can’t see her again. And she’s kinda living her own life now.”

“What about the disease?”

Sometimes I forgot that my brother knew a lot of things. In the News there was a new disease spreading. They said it had a connection to the Ants. It evolved along with them, and now they were infecting the most populated cities. It wasn’t something I knew a lot about, and it wasn’t something I liked talking about, either.

“Just finish your homework.”

“But�"“

The doorbell rang. I quickly got up to get it, leaving my brother on the carpet floor with his cartoon playing on the TV. Any more talk about what was going on in the world, I would get discouraged about how I wasn’t doing anything to stop it still.

My mother was there with some groceries. I frowned. Ever since the incident, I still haven’t forgiven them. I was surprised, too. Only some trucks came through our town perimeter and made it in. I heard the Ants made a road block to stop any cargo from coming in, to weaken us. 

I helped her carry them to the kitchen.

That’s when I thought I saw a flash of black and red outside the kitchen window. I almost got creeped out, thinking that the Ants were here, but it was too quick to think about it any further. 

But I decided to check it out after dinner. We ate a simple dinner of chicken and vegetables, I gave a few more math questions to my brother, which he scowled at, then I took out the trash for an excuse to check what I had saw outside.

I brought the trash bag out of the front door and around to the alleyway. I threw the bag in the bin. I looked around. There was nothing here in particular, so I guessed that what I’d seen earlier was my mind playing tricks on me. That was before I heard the munching behind the garbage bin.

I almost froze in my tracks. I crept around the bin, slowly taking quiet steps. There was someone�"no, something behind there. A raccoon, maybe?

People always told me I had a curious mind. I questioned everything. I ran towards danger instead of away from it. I guess that’s what I was pretty much doing now.

I didn’t try looking for something to defend myself with just in case. That was because I don’t usually see a lot of strange things in my life. But this one got a perfect ten score.

“Ahh!” I gasped. It was one of them�"crouched under the bin, eating an apple he found in the garbage. He was red and black, the black going on the rim of his arm and leg shells. His head was a regular Ant head, with two big antennas and beady little pure black eyes. It had two pincers as a mouth, like claws ready to snatch you up.

I was a bit fascinated, I’ll admit, I’ve never seen one up so close. The people killed every Ant family living in our cities 

anyway. 

“Shh!” he spoke, which surprised me a lot. He peered around the corner. “They’ll hear you!” 

I didn’t know what to say. Right before my eyes was one of them, one of the creatures that had started the war. 

“What are you doing here?” I whispered. “They’ll kill you!”

“I know. I’m hiding.”

“Didn’t do very well.”

He sighed. “I suppose I’m dead now, aren’t I?”

I felt sympathy for the little guy. I was sure he didn’t commit any crimes. He probably ran away when the military raided his house.

“I’m sorry,” I said, “I didn’t mean to�"look, I want to help.”

He lowered his head. “You can’t help me anymore. They took my home. They took my parents. They�"muttered something about�"cord�"“ He shook his head, and I could swear his little black eyes got a bit watery. 

“I’m sorry. I’ll�"figure out a way to fix this. Don’t worry. I’ll get you back to your side.” I said, about to head inside.

“You don’t understand.” He buried himself in his knees. “All my life I’ve wanted nothing but to stop the war. I came here trying to make peace, along with my family. In return they slaughtered them and I was forced to hide. I’ve got nothing left. My race hates me for trying to make peace with the humans. I just�"I just want it to stop.”

I stood there, feeling sad for him. He had the same intentions as me. I wondered if in a few years I’d be the same as him, cowering behind dumpsters and scavenging for food, just because of trying to make peace.

“What’s your name?” I asked him.

“Rippertorias Ionicscon.” 

“Okay… that’s a long name.”

“It’s a fire Ant name.”

A fire Ant… interesting. Maybe I could make a name out of that.

“Can you… can you actually burn stuff with your bite?” I asked curiously.

“Yeah.” He sniffled. “Most useless superpower ever. All it does is cause destruction.”

I thought about it. “Maybe… I should call you Pyro?”

His eyes lit up a bit. “Yeah, okay. That’s an okay name. What’s yours?”

“Phoenix.” I said, the word a bit foreign on my tongue. I’ve never said it in a long time. “Just call me Nix.”

I held out my hand to help him get up. Never mind about little guy, he was tall.

“I’m like you.” I told him. “I want the war to stop, too. Maybe we could team up or something?”

He shook his head. “I’m done with this peace nonsense. It doesn’t do any good. The gash between our races is too deep to heal.”

My heart sank. I thought I had finally found somebody that would help me try to stop the war. But he already gave up. Maybe the war really went too far already. Maybe I had a ridiculous idea. 

“I don’t know what to do anymore. I’ve got no family. No friends. I’m a worthless life. You shouldn’t help me. You should just be grateful for what you have.”

I considered it. I couldn’t stand my parents’ faces again when they see I’ve brought a foul creature into the house. They’d call the cops right away. No, they’d call the military.

I exhaled. Then grabbed his shoulder. “Look, you’re wrong. 

You have a friend. You have me. And as long as we both shall live, I’m never going to hurt you, or turn you in. And I’m not going to leave you. You’re not worthless. Nobody is worthless, no matter how much they’ve been through. And I don’t care if you’re an Ant. That won’t stop me from helping somebody who lived an unfair life.”

He stared in my eyes, trying to figure out if I was telling the truth. To me, it was. I don’t care what race the person is. I don’t care what their species has done. This poor guy did nothing at all to help his race to fight in the war. 

“Thank you, Nix.” he said. “I wish there were more people in the world like you.”

“Come on.” I told him. “I’ll take you to the borders. I’ll go with you to find a home there.”

I climbed on the dumpster bin and tried prying open the window from there. Pyro helped me and snapped the lock easily. I helped in climb into my room, then I followed him. 

I jumped down my bed and locked the door, hoping nobody would notice that an Ant was in the house. I went over to the closet and fished out clothes. Clothes with the biggest size I had, preferably.

“You’ll need a disguise to get past the borders.” I said. “Large coat, wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, everything to cover you. Especially your face. I’ll dress like you so they won’t get suspicious.”

He grabbed a metal device on my nightstand. “What’s this?” he asked, looking at it curiously. 

I looked at it. “You’ll need that too. That’s a deception device. If you activate it, it will hide you from the metal or Ant detectors. My parents bought it just in case we need it when the war comes here. I’ll have to take my brother’s for you.”

I threw him the clothes from the closet. “Get dressed. I’ll get your deception device.”

I peeked through the door to see if anyone was near. Then I went through and shut it quick. 

I went to my brother’s room. He was there, which I didn’t expect. 

“Hey, Nix!” he said. “Aren’t we on lesson thirty-four now? Come on! You have to teach me!”

“Listen Jack, I don’t have time right now.” I had to take it quick, without him noticing. I considered waiting until he had to go to the bathroom, but that would take too long. “I have to go somewhere. I’ll be back and then I’ll teach you.”

He narrowed his eyes. “Are you visiting her? Without me?”

“No,” I said, creeping nearer to his nightstand. “Just somewhere. Not for you.”

Now, here’s the thing. I’m a terrible liar. My voice shakes when I do it, and I usually make a lot of hand gestures quickly too, like I’m frantic. My brother knows every time when I do it. 

“Come on!” he said. “Take me with you!”

“A spaceship!” I said, pointing behind him. He whirled around, saying, “Where?”

I grabbed his device quick, and stashed it in my pocket, right when he realized there was no spaceship. 

“Look,” I said before he got any more suspicious, “I just have to go. See ya until our next lesson!” I went out the door and closed it, huffing. I did it.

Now the hard part was convincing my parents. 

Inside my room Pyro was fully dressed. He was covered from head to toe, and I couldn’t even tell he was an Ant. 

“Perfect.” I said as I went into my own coat. “Meet me at the front out the window. I have to do something quick.”

I tossed him the deception device. Then I went downstairs.

“Mom! Dad!” I said as I went down. 

“Yes, honey?” my mother said as she was doing the laundry. Dad was too busy on his phone. 

“I have to go out.” I said.

Nowadays, my parents never let me out. It was because of the war. They never saw it safe if I went out alone. Plus, the last time I did, I was gone for two days. But I thought they were just being too overprotective. 

“Nix, I swear, if this is about visiting that girl again�"“

“It’s not!” I said quickly, feeling embarrassed. “I know you won’t let me. I just have to go out.”

“Your father made clear rules.” she said. “The war made the streets unsafe. You can’t.”

I was desperate now. “Please, mom. Just this once. I barely go out. I’ll return at nine. I promise.”

She sighed. Then looked out at Dad, who was still on his phone. 

“Fine,” I could tell it was hard to get the word out. “Just this once. If you don’t return at nine�"“

“I will.” I said, then hugged her, which surprised her. “I promise.”

I walked out the door, closing it behind me. Pyro was standing outside already. 

We headed for the borders.







3: Rippertorias


The walk was hard and long. Cold, night wind whipped my face. Even in the middle of summer, I was cold.

I remembered this walk. The long, cold walk, getting her to her grandparents’ house through the thick snow. At that time it was the dawn of spring, but the snow was still thick. 

“No more worries once you get there.” I had told her. “Safe haven, from everything.”

“But this walk is tiring me. Can we take a break?” she asked.

We sat on the snow. Drinking warm chocolate from our thermos’s. 

“Do you really think, I’ll be safe there?” she asked. 

“No Ants will harm you there.” I promised her. “You’re going back to your old life.”

“But you will still see me, right?” she asked. I remember she talked funny when her mouth was under the scarf. Her long brown hair flowed out from her hat. 

“Of course.” I told her. Her amber eyes lit up when I said that. “You still have a friend. You’ll never go back to your old, hard life. I will always take care of you, no matter what.”

Right now, it made me sick to think about that. I hadn’t kept my promise. My parents never let me go there anymore. I felt so sad and distracted I didn’t notice I was about to walk into a lamppost.

Pyro stopped me. “Whoa, easy there.” 

“Thanks.” I muttered.

He must’ve knew something was bothering me, because he 

asked, “What’s up?”

“Just bad memories,” I told him. “A promise I didn’t keep.”

“What is it?” 

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Oh.”

We kept walking in silence. The sun was already setting, its melting rays of light disappearing behind house roofs. It sparkled it last few glitters of sunlight on the horizon, then it was gone. 

“It’s getting pretty close to nighttime. I don’t want you to be gone for so long.” he said.

“It’s fine,” I assured him. “I have to help you.”

“You don’t have to.” he said. 

“I want to.” I protested. “It’s my life’s dream. People don’t take me seriously, but I want to help. I want to stop the war, before the races kill each other. It’s the only way.”

He paused. Then he said, “You have a way to do that, don’t you?” 

I frowned. “Sadly, I don’t.”

“Well, it’s good that you’re helping me. Maybe if you make your deeds recognized, they’ll take you seriously.”

I shook my head. “The last time I did that, it didn’t go well. My parents didn’t approve. Nobody approved. They didn’t care. And if I tell them what I did with you…” I didn’t finish.

“I know what you mean.” he said. “I know how you feel. Helping an Ant will just makes things worse between you and your race.”

I doubted that he actually knew how much pain I was in. “Yeah, well. The war changed the world. Nobody cares for each other anymore.”

Pyro looked up at the sky. “I wonder how many space 

stations they’ve built around the earth.”

“Too many,” I said. “And we’ve built too many weapons. It just doesn’t feel right, that nobody is against that.”

He looked at me. “Not nobody.”

“Why does my opinion matter, anyway?” I asked. “Nobody cares about one little stupid kid.” I kicked a stone, which hurt my toes. 

“I care.” he said. “I don’t care how intelligent or smart the Ants or your race are. We’re the only real smart ones in this world. You’re the only good one.”

“You’re a good person too, Pyro. You had my same intentions.”

“And look where that ended up.” he said. “I just hope that what happened to me doesn’t happen to you. I’ve got nothing left. But you still have a chance.”

“You’ve got me, still.” I said. “Don’t ever forget that you have a friend in the human race, Pyro.”

I winced. It made me nostalgic for what happened in the past. Next thing I know I abandon him.

We were close to the borders. I heard that this was the only part in the world that human continent met Ant continent. That’s why they made huge walls surrounding the area, and there was a military base right there too, to defend just in case they came in a land attack through this border. The only gates that allowed people through the borders were meant for refugees. I realized I hadn’t come up with a story yet. Because how will I convince them that Pyro wanted to go to the Ant continent? As far as I knew, nobody did. So it wouldn’t make sense. It was a one-way gate, only meant to let humans through to our side.

I thought about a story, and decided it would be believable. 

As Pyro and I approached the border, two guards were guarding the entrance to the building. 

“What are you kids doing here?” one of them asked. 

“Um… Luke over here needs to find his family. He’s a refugee from… um… Himington. He says his family is on the other side somewhere, looking for him.”

The guard narrowed his eyes at me. He was wearing his navy blue uniform as usual, a helmet with a visor strapped on his head. He had a scowl that led me believing that he didn’t accept my story, but as terrible as a liar as I was, he let us in. I must’ve made a really good story then.

“Don’t do anything stupid, you two.” he said. The other one eyed Pyro suspiciously, and I was afraid he might find out that he was an Ant, so I pushed him forward and we moved on quickly. I had to admit that his huge sunglasses were on him in a very flimsy way. 

I didn’t realize I was holding my breath until I let it out.

“That was close.” I said.

He nodded. “Where to now?”

I pointed at the far end. “The border counter thingy.”

The facility was huge on the inside. About as big as ten gymnasiums. Refugees were everywhere. There was a medical centre, where they lay on the floor dabbing cloths over their gashes while doctors sped around trying their best to keep them alive. Some were huddled in groups on the floor or walls crying and grieving for their lost ones. Some were alone against the wall, with frightened faces. Orphans, I presumed. 

The check-in was set up like an airport, multiple of them in a straight line. There were luggage scanners to check if there were any traitors, metal detectors to check if anybody planned on killing, or if there were any Ants hiding. I heard they had some cloaking technology, which freaked me out. Tons of people were in lines coming from the huge gate at the back, which closed at day and opened at night for refugees.

We approached one with a person I thought looked the friendliest.

He just scowled at us. “Good evening, what can I do for you today?” His tone sounded like he didn’t like his job.

“Luke here needs to cross the border. He says his family is on the other side. He needs to find them.”

Pyro just nodded along.

He raised an eyebrow. “Yeah? Well then you’ll just have to wait until they come in.” 

“No!” I said, a little louder than I meant to. “I mean, his hometown is on the other side. His family will still be looking for him there. He said they won’t cross the border until they find him.”

The man looked at Pyro. “This true?”

Pyro nodded vigorously. 

“How’d he get here anyway?” he asked me.

“Honestly, I don’t know. I found him scavenging for food in the dumpster near my house. Must’ve ran away or something.” I told him. Which was quite true, so it eased my lying skills a bit.

He stared at me, still doubting my story. But then he shrugged. “Very well.” We went through the process. The deception device did its job, and Pyro and I both cleanly passed through. We had no luggage, so we skipped that part.

A man at the end was waiting for us. 

“I’ll need you to take off your coat. Just so we know that you don’t have anything illegal underneath.”

I gulped. I hadn’t thought of that. We weren’t ready for this. If they took off Pyro’s hat and glasses, then they would find out the truth.

Suddenly a kid a little older than me walked to us, flanked by two bodyguards. He had light brown hair, cleanly combed, a navy blue suit like the guards outside, and a grin that told me he was friendly. 

“Eric, my man! How’re you doing?” he asked the man next to us.

“Uh… just doing my job sir.” he said.

“Oh, you don’t need to!” he exclaimed, then gestured at us. “These are only kids, right? You think kids would have anything illegal underneath their coat?”

The man gulped. “Uh, no sir.”

“Then I’ll save you from doing a little bit of your job, Eric! You don’t have to check these boys. Isn’t that right, guys? You wouldn’t hide anything from us, I trust you!”

I nodded shyly.

“But sir, safety precautions include that we must. We can never be too safe.” 

Suddenly the kid’s eyes gleamed with malice. “You don’t want to offend me, do you, Eric?”

“Uh… no sir.”

He went back to his normal face. “Good! Come along guys.”

I was so thankful for the him. He saved us. I was so afraid they would’ve killed Pyro and sent me to jail for fifty years. I didn’t know why he saved us, but I was grateful.

“I want to talk to these guys privately,” he told his bodyguards. “Go chase a rabbit or something.”

They reluctantly went off, leaving us alone.

“Thanks,” I told him. “For… uh, back there.”

He leaned in and whispered, “Don’t mention it. I know what he is, so that’s why I helped you.” He winked at Pyro.

I was shocked. “You know he’s an… ahem, but then�"”

“Why won’t I turn you in?” he said. “Why, because I don’t care about the stupid war! I’ve always felt sympathy for the little creatures, when people used to squash them under their feet. And I’ve always been fascinated by them. I don’t care if they killed thousands of people, even if it includes me! It’s not their fault that�"um, ahem. Sorry. What were we talking about?”

I wondered what he was about to say. But I figured he wouldn’t want to tell.

“We were talking about how you knew he was an Ant.”

“Right! It’s kind of a gift, you know. I dunno. I just know who is an Ant and who isn’t. I guess I was born with it. Now, what does this Ant need?”

“Pyro here needs to get back to his continent. He lost his family, and I have to find him a home.” I said. 

“Don’t worry Pyro, we’ll get you back. I’ll help you. Just know that you have a friend here, at the border. I’m here most of the time anyway.” he told him.

“What about back there, when that guy called you sir?” I asked him, being curious as usual. 

“Oh yeah. Name’s Jake. Most people don’t recognize me at first sight but, well, I’m the General’s son.”

My jaw dropped. “His son?

“Yeah. I figured you’d be like that.”

“I can’t believe it,” I said, “the General’s son rebels against his own�"”

“Shh!” he put a finger to his mouth. “It’s a secret. Thing is, my father is so into fighting this war. He wants to kill every last 

one of them. But me? I don’t care, honestly. I kind of want it to stop.”

My eyes lit up. “Just like me! I dedicated my life to stop the war. Maybe… we could team?”

He smiled. “Great idea! What’s your name?”

“Nix. I know, it sounds dumb. It’s a short form of something, but I like Nix better.”

“Well Nix, maybe we could be secret agents or something! Here.”

He gave me a calling card from his pocket. It had his phone number written on it. 

“Believe it or not, I have my own chopper. We could use it to go on missions or something! Just remember to call, when you’re ready. My life get’s boring nowadays, because my dad sends me here, to border patrol. See ya Nix. And Pyro.” He looked at him with sad eyes. “I’m sorry about your family. Just remember, you have a friend at this border. I’ll help you, whatever you need.”

Pyro just nodded.

“Well! Good evening guys. I have to go back to my boring duty.” He winked at us then walked off where his bodyguards were waiting.

“Nice guy.” Pyro muttered. I hadn’t noticed he didn’t talk the whole time we were in here until now.

“Yeah.” I said. “Come on, let’s get some food before we head on to your continent.” 

The border facility had stations where they were distributing food to hungry refugees. We got our dishes and sat on the floor against the wall, watching the busy place thrive. 

“Yuck,” Pyro said, “this is the most disgusting food I’ve ever 

tasted.” He picked up a big, gross-looking piece from his 

plastic plate with his fork. “What is this? Is this supposed to be a meatball?”

I chuckled. “No Pyro, that’s the size of your brain.”

I was laughing until he punched me in the arm playfully, though I’ll admit, it kinda hurt… a lot. 

We were telling jokes and laughing at them while we ate. It was fun to be with a friend, and for once in my life I’ve never felt so happy. With the war going on for six years, nobody laughed anymore.

After our disgusting meal we went up to the gate. People were coming in, getting scanned, then moving on. We were the only ones going the opposite direction. 

“So…” Pyro said, “I guess this is goodbye?”

I frowned. “No, I’m going to help you find a home, remember?”

“It’s just, I dunno. It doesn’t feel right dragging you along in my problems. You have a family you have to go back to. And you have a dream. You shouldn’t be here with me. You deserve helping to stop the war. Maybe talk to Jake’s dad.”

I looked at my watch. Boy, was he right. It was already past nine. 

I looked on the floor. “Pyro, I told you. I’m not going to leave you until you’re safe. That’s what I did with my last… refugee…” I started tearing up. 

“Hey, don’t cry now! What do you mean about your last refugee?”

I wiped my eyes. “Nothing. Come on, I have to come with you to your continent. I want to.”

Pyro looked at the gates with eyes of longing. “The thing is, Nix, I don’t want to go back.”

I looked up. “What?”

“My people hate me, remember? They don’t want me. They 

think I’m a disgrace. I don’t ever want to go back there again. My chances are better if I stick with you.”

“But… Pyro, you know I can’t. My parents will never let an Ant live in the house. And… the humans will never let you live among them too.”

He had sad eyes. “That’s my problem. I hate my life. You should’ve left me in that dumpster, because that’s what I deserve.”

I couldn’t believe he said that. Or mostly, I didn’t know why he said that. He didn’t do anything wrong. 

I shook my head. “That’s not what you deserve, Pyro. You wanted to make peace, like me. And so you can help me. Help me stop the war. Maybe Jake can help us. We’ll assemble a team. I’m going to run away from my life.” I made a distasteful face. “Never liked it anyway. Nothing to do but cower in fear and wait for an attack. It makes me feel much better if I know I’m actually doing something.”

Pyro thought about it. He kept staring at the gates to his home continent, like it was the bane of his existence. I knew he never wanted to go back there. And I wanted to help him. Make a difference in the world. I had a plan, actually. I now had one. And it included Pyro joining me. I never want him to feel alone again.

“Okay.” he said.

“Great. I’ll call Jake when I come home. And, um…” I wanted to hit myself. Make myself pay for what I never did. How could I ever think of visiting her again? She probably never forgave me. “We’ll probably plan it at her house.”

“Whose house?”

I winced. I tried to remember her face. But honestly, I 

probably wouldn’t recognize it anymore. 

“I know someone who can help, too.” My gut twisted with the pain of guilt just even by saying the words. “We’ll have to walk there. It’s a bit far.”




























4: Myrmidons

We arrived at my house at midnight. I left Pyro in my room while I dealt with my parents. They weren’t happy.

“How could you?” my mother asked. “You promised!”

I cringed. “I’m not very good at making promises.”

My father shook his head in disapproval, which made me even more guiltier. 

He looked at my mom, and their eyes met, as if having a silent conversation. 

“What?” I asked curiously.

My father sighed. “Nix, well, while you were gone, your mother and I talked. We figured, well, you’re getting too old for us to keep telling you what to do.”

I stared at them, still not quite understanding.

“We know your dream,” my mom continued. “We just, well, we never thought it was possible. That you could stop it. But you’re near thirteen. And we can’t hold you back.” She sniffled, like she’d been crying. “It’s time for you to make your own decisions. Follow your dream. Do whatever you can, and we’ll help you. The rules are lifted. You can do whatever you want, and we won’t protest.”

I stared at them, not sure if my ears were working. All my life I’ve been waiting for this moment. I thought it would never come. My parents were letting me get out of the house, to follow my dream. I couldn’t believe it.

“It’s been hard for us to get through it,” my father said, “but now we understand we’ve treated you unfairly. It wasn’t right to reject May. We should’ve took her in years ago. And it was wrong to keep you in, too. You have a wild spirit, my son, and it should be let free.”

My eyes filled with tears of joy. I ran up to them and hugged them both. I sniffled in my mom’s sleeve.

“I won’t let you guys down.” I said. “When I come back, the war will be over.”

My dad chuckled. “We believe in you, son. We know you can restore the peace.”

“Thank you.” I said, but it was more of a squeak. I’ve forgiven my parents. They were sorry about May. They were sorry about keeping me restrained. I knew they had good hearts. I just knew it.

“I’ll be gone tomorrow.” I said. “Wish me luck.”

I went up the stairs to my room, smiling with confidence. I decided I had to say goodbye to my brother, before I went to my room. 

I opened it quietly, hoping he wasn’t asleep. To my surprise, he wasn’t. He was sitting at his desk, colouring, his headlamp on and his crayons spilled around the table.

He looked at me and smiled. “Nix! You’re back!” 

He tackled me in a hug and I smiled. 

“Will you teach me now?” he asked, looking up but not letting go of me. 

“I’m sorry, Jack. I don’t think I can. I won’t be teaching you in a long time. Maybe mom or dad can. I’ll be leaving.”

“What?”

“I came here to say goodbye, Jack. I’ll be away for a while.”

“But… you have to teach me multiply… multiply…”

“Multiplication?”

“Yes! And you haven’t taken me to your friend yet! I want to ask her about the war!”

“I’m sorry, Jack. I’ll be away. I’m going to stop the war.”

He buried his face deep in my shirt. “You can do it Nix. I know you can.” It sounded very muffled. 

I patted his head. I hoped this wasn’t the last time I’d see him. He was so sweet, and cute, and loving. All the girls would be going Awww at him if I ever brought him to my old school, which he didn’t know a lot about because he never went to one. After I set him to his bed and told him good night, I went in my room.

“Why are you smiling?” Pyro asked, his head tilted to one side. 

“Nothing.” I said. “You can have my bed. I’ll sleep on the floor.”

We covered ourselves in blankets. It was an exciting day for me. A day where my life was going to change, I just knew it.

“Who are we going to meet tomorrow?” Pyro asked as I stared at the ceiling. Then my spirits instantly got crushed. 

“Uh, it’s best not to talk about her, really.”

“Will she help us?” he asked.

“Yeah, she will. Just… get some sleep Pyro.”

Before I knew it, my eyes were closed too.

.  .  .


We woke up at dawn. We got ready. 

Pyro packed his own bag with camping supplies. I got ready my own, filled with snacks, our lunch, and water bottles. I packed a watch, a small first-aid kit, extra clothes, a flashlight, and a few more accessories. 

We started off. My mom and dad were still sleeping, and I thought it was best not to wake them. 

We hiked through the same path I remembered so vividly, leading to the her town in the south. 

I felt so unsteady. I was finally visiting her. I imagined her reaction. Where were you all this time? You never came! I imagined the guilt that would come to me just by seeing her face. 

“Is it far?” Pyro asked, but he didn’t look tired at all.

“Yeah, a bit.” I told him. Unlike him, I was sweating from head to toe. There was a cool breeze this morning, and it smelled faintly of fresh rain and pine trees, but still it was the middle of June, and I felt like I was power-washed with my own sweat.

I drank water to cool off. We’ve already traveled far and we sat down for lunch break.

“Mmm… good food.” Pyro said, eating from his thermos. “I haven’t eaten real food since…”

“What about yesterday?” I asked. 

He glared at me. “Don’t even mention it. That doesn’t count.”

I laughed. 

We continued upward and downward hills, and through plains. I remembered it so clearly. There was a huge bent tree that May and I called Charlie, and at the time it was covered in snow, and it looked like an abominable snowman. So we called it Charlie the Abominable Snowman. 

I walked up to it while Pyro watched me. I touched it gently, feeling the ripped bark, probably centuries old.

“Hey, Charlie.” I said. It didn’t answer, and I thought that he was still angry at me for not taking this road in so long. 

“I’m guessing more memories you don’t want to share?” Pyro asked me as we continued on our trail.

I shook my head. 

Later, when I got bored, I thought about Pyro’s bite.

“Can you really set things on fire?” I asked. “Can you do it now?”

He hesitated. Then he whiffed a puff of smoke from his pincers, and the next thing I know he fires it into the water, and it explodes, steaming. 

“Whoa!” I said, laughing. “That was awesome!”

I didn’t know because he had pincers, but I thought I saw him smile.

In the afternoon we were almost there. I could see the lake in the distance and the big dockside town beside it. 

We went down the hill to approach our destination. 

Pyro followed me as I weaved through the buildings. I knew exactly where the house was. It was lodged in my memory like a sword stuck in stone. 

When I found it, I froze and stared at it. I almost got teary. I haven’t been here in so long, it felt more like a place from a faint dream.

“This is it?” Pyro asked, looking at the house. 

“Yes.” I breathed in. “She won’t like that I’m here.”

I walked up the porch steps and Pyro followed. We stood in front of the door. I hovered over the doorbell button. That unsteady feeling was a hundred times worse now. 

I sighed then pressed it.

It took a half a minute, but soon the door opened and she was there, with crossed arms and a piercing look that made me want to find the nearest rock and cower behind it.

She kept glaring at me.

I smiled innocently.

Then she ran up and hugged me. I was left shocked.

“You’ve came back.” she said. There were tears in her eyes. “It’s been so long.” 

“I know, I know, remember what I said? I guess I’m a jerk too.” I said.

“Yeah, you are.” she said. “Worse than your parents. This doesn’t count as a visit. You’ve broken your promise.”

“Yeah, well you know I’m not good at keeping promises.” I said. 

She looked at Pyro. “Is this your friend? What is this about?”

“Yeah, about that. It’s burning out here. May you let us in?”

She rolled her eyes. Back then, I’d always used that joke, and it made her laugh. Now she was probably sick of it.

“Yeah, come in.”

We stepped in slowly. The place didn’t change a lot. It still had that musty old people smell in the house. There were new pictures of May and her grandparents in various places hung on the walls.

“Where are your grandparents?” I asked her.

“They went somewhere. I’m the only one here.” she said. 

We went to the kitchen where I got out three apple juice boxes from the fridge and handed them to my friends. 

“So, if this isn’t a visit, why are you guys here? And Nix, why is your friend covered in such heavy clothes?” she asked me. 

“Oh, about that,” I sucked air through my teeth. “Brace yourself. Pyro, take your hat off. And the sunglasses.”

“But�"”

“I know. She deserves to know.” 

“Know what?” she asked.

Pyro took off his disguise, and said, “Ta-da!” halfheartedly. 

May screamed and backed up against the wall, just the exact reaction I was expecting. I got off my chair and tried to calm her down.

“He won’t hurt you!” I said. “He’s lost his family too. There. I said it. I’m helping a refugee Ant.”

“How could you?” she asked, trembling in fear. “You said no Ant would ever come to me again.”

“I know!” I said, “he won’t hurt you.”

Pyro looked offended, then angry. “Nix, maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to come here�"”

“No!” I said, the plan falling apart. “If there’s anybody in the world who hates Ants the most, it’s her. Unlike me, she hates them. They took her parents. But she would gladly help us in stopping the war. Right, May?”

“Is this what this is all about?” she asked, her voice shaky. “You want me to come with you? With… with him?”

“It’s our dream, remember?” I told her. “When the war started when we were six, stopping it was all we’ve ever wanted, remember? Come with us. We’ll have a chance. I know  another person that can help us.”

She looked like she was torn between sides. “I�"I’ll think about it.” She raced up the stairs. I knew what she felt, how her family was killed by the Ants, and then I bring one into her house. I felt guiltier than ever.

I slumped down in my chair, sipping my apple juice, staring out the window. 

“It’s not your fault, Nix.” Pyro told me. “She hates me, and she’s not going to do it. End of story.”

“You don’t understand.” I said. “We’ve been waiting for a chance like this for our whole lives. I told her you wouldn’t hurt her. I just… I just feel like she hasn’t forgiven me yet.”

“But you kept your promise.” he said. “You visited her, right now.”

“After two years,” I said, feeling even more guilty. “I don’t know what to do. I just know she has to come, because she and I planned this. Back when… I don’t even know.”

Pyro pondered for a moment. “You should go talk to her. Alone. Me being there won’t help. She obviously hates me.”

I watched him walk to the living room and plop on a couch, sighing. I knew he was right. I remembered his words: That’s my problem. I hate my life. You should’ve left me in that dumpster, because that’s what I deserve. 

It wasn’t right for him to be hated just because he was an Ant. He didn’t do anything wrong. 

I decided he was right. I had to go talk to May.

I went upstairs. Before I even opened her door she said, “I’m sorry.”

She was lying in her bed. I breathed slowly, not wanting to hurt her feelings anymore.

“Look, I know your family was lost to the Ants, but this one is good. Trust me.”

“Says the one who doesn’t keep his promises.”

Ah.

“But this is what we’ve been wanting since we were little kids. Are you coming or not?”

She sighed. “As long as he doesn’t bite.”

“Yes!” I said. “Come down. We’re going to talk about what we’re going to do.”

She reluctantly followed me down. 

We all sat at the table, eating cookies. It was May’s favourite food ever since I fed it to her that night. 

“So, to be sure, you’re coming with us?” I said.

“Yes.” May answered.

“You agree to the danger�"”

“Yes.”

“You accept the risks�"”

“Yes.”

“You leave your old life�"”

“Dang it, Nix! I already said yes!” she scolded.

I laughed. “Good. So, first, I’m going to contact this friend of mine called, Jake, and tell him where we are. He knows a lot of information of the military because he is the General’s son. Then, he leads us to our first mission.”

“What is our first mission?” Pyro asked. 

I frowned. “I dunno. That’s why we’re waiting until Jake comes here.”

“You said you had a plan.” Pyro said.

“Yeah. Wait until Jake gets here.”

“Wow, that’s an amazing plan!” May said. 

I smiled. “May I get more apple juice?”

She just sighed.

It didn’t take long until Jake got here. He rode in a military jeep driven by his bodyguards. Soon we heard the doorbell ring. 

I opened the door. He was there, smiling.

“Nix, my man!” he said happily. “You called!”

“Yeah, sure I did.” I said. “Come in, we have to talk about our first mission.”

He had an excited look on his face. “Woohoo! Let’s get this thing started!”

We went to the table and sat down. 

“So, is this our headquarters or something?” he asked. “Will we train here? Learn kung-fu? Oh! Pyro, what’s up, man? I 

thought you went back to your home continent!”

“He decided against it.” I told him.

“This is Jake?” May asked, looking mildly annoyed. 

“Yeah, why?” I asked her.

“We’re going to be spies, baby! Woohoo! We’re going to stop the war, and, get gadgets�"”

“Jake, listen,” I said, “I know you’re excited, but we have to talk about what we’re going to do.” 

He calmed down a bit. “Oh yeah, that’s right.”

“What’re we going to do first?” Pyro asked him. Jake looked at him funny, because he’d never heard him speak before.

“Okay, here’s the info I brought.” he said. “Or I should say, intel. Right? We’re spies?” He winked at May. She rolled her eyes.

“There’s a generator near the north-eastern coast. Uses the hydro dam to power itself. It contains tons of radioactivity, and has so much energy stored in one fat cell, it might go boom if one of the workers makes a mistake.”

I said, “What’s this have to do with�"“

“I’m getting to that part! Be patient!” He held up his hand. “The generator is what’s supplying the military with their weapons.” he continued. “If we interfere a tiny bit, boom! No more energy supply for the military.”

“Okay, we’ll use your chopper to get there, right?” I asked.

“Yes, but we have to be careful. It’s heavily guarded. And the cell holding the energy is made of very thick glass. And if we do it wrong, boom! We all go dead!” 

“I’m thinking we don’t do that first.” Pyro said.

“What else?” I asked him.

“Well, I don’t really have much, Nix. I have one idea that we could do. Maybe we could get some rope, sneak into the military headquarters, and bind up my dad or something. Then the military has nobody to command�"”

“We’re not doing that.” I said. “That’s not the way to peace.”

He sighed. “I liked that idea. Dad was never proud of me anyway. Well, then. The last idea I brought is the Infinity Chamber.”

Pyro shivered, like he didn’t like that thought. “Nope,” he said, “fast forward. I don’t want to do that.”

“Wait, what is it? Tell us!” May said. I was wondering the same thing.

“It’s like, the main hive of the Ants.” Jake explained. “Their central intelligence. If we destroy the core, none of the Ants die, but it’s like their mass consciousness does. Everybody knows that each Ant hive has a mind, right? A consciousness? Well, the Infinity Chamber holds the consciousness of the whole race. One big mind, powered by the Queen. We destroy it, Ants might go insane, or they’ll just stop fighting, because their hive connection is lost.”

Pyro shuddered. “No. That would leave us in the dark, with no connection to the Queen. I don’t like that.”

“But you won’t die,” I told him. “I think it’s our best bet.”

“One problem,” Jake said.

“Yes, I know.” I said. “Heavily guarded.”

“No, it’s much, much worse. The only way to get to the Infinity Chamber is through the Eternal Archives. You guys ever heard of that old, old, Greek myth about the Labyrinth?”

Nobody answered.

“Okay then. It’s kind of like that, but it’s not intent on killing you. Kind of there to drive you insane. It’s the perfect defence, because it changes the will of its intruders, so they give up fighting. It shows you your heart’s desire, your flaws, your greatest dream, some big illusions. Basically, without an Ant to guide us, we would all come out insane. It’s good that Pyro’s still here.”

Okay, maybe I got a bit scared there. Maybe it wasn’t our best bet. But it was our final hope. The Ants would stop fighting if we destroyed their Infinity Core. 

“Okay, so we go to the Infinity Chamber. Pyro leads us through the Eternal Archives. We destroy the core. Done.”

“Oh, that’s not all.” Jake said, and I got worried, because what else could there possibly be? 

“Two things,” he said. “One, I eavesdropped on my dad. The military is planning to create some sort of bomb with the disease that is spreading right now. Like, a�"“

“A cordyceps bomb.” Pyro finished, and I realized that’s what he was trying to tell me when I first met him. “The deadly fungus that terrorized ants back in the day. It evolved along with us. Now it can infect humans.”

“What does it do?” I asked.

“The fungus starts in your head,” Pyro explained. “It controls your mind and turns you into something like a zombie. It kills you by making you stand somewhere forever, making you die of thirst and hunger. Then it breaks through your skull and sprouts out, ready to infect more people.” He shuddered. “I never want to see something like that in my life. Knowing that your race is building a bomb that will inflict that upon us,” he shook his head, “it haunts me.”

I was beginning to get terrified, too. I didn’t want that to happen to any one of us. I wanted all of us to be safe and complete these missions safely. Especially May. I had promised her a long time ago she would never get hurt by the Ants again.

“What’s the other thing?” I asked Jake.

“It’s a minor thing. My dad also said something about an escapee from their prison�"a crazy Ant that claimed he knew something that would heal the rift between us. He said it would heal the Alliance. There have been reports of him being seen somewhere not far from here, although we’ll have to take the chopper.”

“What?” May said. “What could he possibly mean?”

“I dunno.” Jake leaned back and rested his legs on the table. “They call them crazy Ants for a reason, ya know.”

“Stop that,” May said, looking at his feet on the table. “My grandparents said that’s rude.”

He sat up straight and put up his hands in surrender. “Okay!”

“What’s a crazy Ant?” I asked, feeling like I was the only focused and curious one in the group. 

“A type of Ant with an electrical discharge.” Pyro said. “He might send some deadly shocks to us if we’re not prepared.”

“Exactly,” Jake said. “That’s also why we’ll need some sort of wire, so we can bribe information out of him. Crazy Ants will go crazy for anything electrical. It’s like their version of candy. They’ll do anything for it.”

“Anything else?” I asked.

“Nope, that’s it.” he said.

“Okay,” I said, thinking carefully. “I say we go for this Ant first. Maybe he does know some information about healing our Alliance. Then we go to destroy the Generator. We do the Infinity Chamber last, because, well, you know why. Hands up in agreement?”

Everyone except Jake agreed. Jake just shrugged.

“Whatever, man. I just want to be a spy. We’re spies right?”

“Yes, whatever.” I said. 

“Wait,” he said. “A team needs a name, right? All teams 

have a name!”

May just sighed. Pyro and I stared at him.

“What’ve you got?” I asked him.

“I’m thinking… the Myrmidons! Who knows about the most elite fighting force in Greece? Oh come on! Nobody?”

“I did.” May said, surprising us. “They were people formed from ants. This, king guy asked the god to give him an army, and he got the Myrmidons.”

“Yes! They were already trained to fight in perfect formations, and were nearly unstoppable! Well, okay, maybe we’re not all Ants, but I like the name!”

“You’ve been taking an interest in Greek mythology, haven’t you?” I noticed.

“Yes! It’s so cool! People called gods go around shooting lightning bolts and causing tsunamis, what can be cooler than that?”

“Can we focus on the situation at hand, please?” Pyro asked. 

“Yes,” I said. “The crazy Ant. First priority.”

“Ah, but there’s where you’re wrong, Nixy boy.” Jake said. “Our real first priority is my chopper! My very own Phryno!Now, who’s ready to fly?”









5: Journey

Nobody called me Nixy. Not even Jake. 

I remembered one night when she snuck into my room. A usual night. I gave her fresh clothes, food, and a friend. 

“I don’t know how to thank you enough.” she said. “I’d be dead without you.”

“Don’t say that,” I said. 

“What’s your real name, Nix? Is it really just Nix?” she asked.

“No. My real name’s Phoenix.”

“Do you know why your parents named you that?” she asked.

I shook my head. “No.”

“What if I call you Nixy?” she asked. “Doesn’t that sound like a nice name?”

I laughed. “No, it sounds dumb.”

“Too bad, I’m calling you it.”

“What about you? Do you have a real name?”

She looked away. “Yes. But I don’t want to tell you. And it has been a long, long, time since anybody has called me that. And I like May better.”

Right now, we were in Jake’s jeep, driving through the woods to the border facility. Pyro woke me up, and I never remembered falling asleep.

“We’re almost there,” he said. I tried to get up groggily, my eyes still heavy. 

We were going to fetch his chopper there. His very own Phryno. The military had coded names for each of the new vehicles they’ve built for the war. Jake knew all of them. His horned lizard chopper was called a Phryno to the military. The military had made their code names according to the scientific names of the animals they were names after. Jake said an armadillo was called a Dasypod, and an ant eater was called a Vermil.

Jake was asleep, too. I could hear him snore through a wall in his private seat in the jeep. May was wide awake, beside me. 

The ceiling of the jeep was a translucent tarp, so I could see the landscape we passed in shadows as we drove along. Big trees, wide hills, I even heard water one time. 

Soon Pyro was right. We swerved into a parking lot, and came to a stop. We have arrived.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Jake’s bodyguards opened the double doors at the back of the jeep, letting us out. Jake was already out, looking sleepy.

“Okay, let’s�"” he yawned, “go get that chopper.”

Pyro was back in his very thick and suspicious coat. The four of us walked across the military base with the bodyguards behind us. Jake led us into his personal helicopter landing pod. 

Jake had been calling it a chopper all along. It wasn’t even close. It was a huge fully operational, double-propeller chinook, fit for carrying sixty people! I had to hand it to Jake. I was impressed.

Inside was a gaming console with a TV, couches, a fridge, a half-eaten box of pizza, pyjamas on the floor�"basically a filthy mess.

Jake’s face turned red. “Oops, sorry. I’m a lazy and messy person. Why don’t you guys, uh, go to the store or something, buy food and supplies. One of my guards will go with you with money, while I clean up here. Meet me in thirty minutes.”

“I’ll stay here too,” Pyro said. “Too much people in the grocery store. They might notice me.”

One of the guards just grunted, as if he knew Jake was going to pick him to go with us. He gestured us to move along to the store, and off we went. 

“Messed up kid,” May said, “to be someone like the General’s son.”

I shrugged. “Doesn’t matter. We have our ride. We have our resources. Isn’t this a great start to try and stop the war?”

“Sure it is,” May said. “What are we going to buy there anyway?”

“Jake wants to be a spy. So I guess… communication devices?” I suggested.

“And food. I’m hungry.”

We grabbed our cart and waded through hordes of people coming in and out. Ever since the war, most stores closed and only the grocery stores stayed open. That’s why there were so much people. 

Our bodyguard took the cart from us so we could roam free. 

“My grandparents are going to kill me.” May said as she grabbed a pack of walkie talkies. “That note I left them… it’s going to make them angry that I left without them knowing. I feel so guilty.”

I thought about my parents, naturally. Were they worrying about me? Or were they worrying about feeding themselves and my brother? 

I decided I shouldn’t worry about them.

“Have you… have you forgiven me yet?” I asked.

“Of course I have. I can’t force you to visit me. You have your own life.”

“That’s what Pyro told me,” I said as I grabbed batteries off a rack. “He told me I shouldn’t be helping him. Like I would ever do that. He lost his family to our race, you know. He had the same dream as me.”

May looked uncomfortable when we talked about Pyro. “You don’t really trust that guy, do you? I mean, he’s an Ant.”

I suddenly felt a surge of defensiveness over him. “He’s done nothing! He’s never hurt anybody in his life. He’s as tame as a pet.” I shook my head. “You wouldn’t understand. He’s my friend.”

I grabbed a roast chicken from a counter and placed it in our cart. 

“What about our mission? Do you really think this Ant has any information on how to stop the war?” she asked.

“I dunno. He’s in human territory, so you don’t have to worry.”

“Good,” she said. “Any more Ants and I’m gonna freak out.”

We bought everything we needed and walked out the store with our cart full. We headed back to the chinook.

Inside, the room was cleaned. Jake and Pyro were playing video games on the floor. I did a face-palm. “I should’ve expected this.” I said. 

“Hey, Nix! May! Come inside! Nix, your brother is amazing at this!”

“What?” I said. “My brother?

Jack peeked out from the corner, holding a controller. Trying his best to smile innocently.

“You!” I breathed.

I climbed into the helicopter, filled with anger. “What’re you doing here?”

“I came to follow you, Nix!” he said as he continued playing his game while his tongue sticking out of his mouth. 

“He hid in the cargo bunk in the jeep with us!” Jake said. 

“He’s a smart boy! And he wants to go wherever we’re going! Isn’t that right, Jack?”

“Uh-huh,” he mumbled. 

“Jack, did you at least tell mom or dad?” I asked him.

“No.”

“Oh come on! They’re probably worried sick about you.”

“It’s not my fault, Nix!” he said. “You’re always never telling me the truth. And you wouldn’t tell me where you’re going!”

I sighed. “It’s none of your business, Jack.”

He squeaked when he saw May come in. “Are you her? The one he keeps talking about? Do you know what’s ten times twelve? Do you know where the next Ant attack will be?”

She gave me a pleading look like, help me!

I gave her a look that meant, deal with him yourself. He’s interested in you. 

I grabbed one of the phones we bought from the store and called my parents. I told them Jack was here, fine. They were so worried.

“I’ll keep him safe,” I said to them. “He wants to come with us.” Then I hung up.

Pyro walked over. 

“He’s not even interested in you? You being an Ant?” I asked him.

He shrugged. “Not even one bit of attention. I kind of like him.”

“Yeah, me too. Until I found out he followed us. Now I want to strangle him.”

“He only wanted to follow you.” he said. “You’re his idol, so he wants to do what you do.”

“I just can’t believe he sneaked out of the house with the door and the windows locked, followed us to May’s house, then hid in Jake’s jeep without us noticing.”

“Jake said he’s a smart boy.”

“Whatever. Wherever we’re going, he’s staying in here.”

That evening, the guards took naps early, because Jake said we would be driving there in the night. Jack was fast asleep too, for barely sleeping yesterday. We ate our dinner on the couch and watched the News. 

“The attacks are getting worse,” the reporter said, “with every one of them causing major fear across the continent. The government has issued that all small towns and farms evacuate to bigger, more populated and protected cities. The military is trying their best to shoot their space stations out of the sky, and it seems now unsuccessful. There have been reports of many minor and major attacks everywhere at once, and the military had to split their defences. As the war rages on, nobody is safe. It is mandatory that every citizen must lock their doors and bolt their windows shut. Many refugees from all over the world are coming to our cities, claiming the Ants have took their land. As they conquer more and more of it, the military predicts that they will surround us soon…”

She kept rambling on and on about the war, but I wasn’t listening. I was worrying.

“We have to act soon,” I said. “They hate us. Six years of fighting, and it hasn’t stopped.”

Jake was too busy on his tablet. “Ooh! More claims and leads from witnesses of our friend we’re trying to catch here. That’s good, right?” He yawned. “Maybe I should sleep. Good 

night guys.” 

He fell on his couch and huddled in his blanket, falling asleep fast.

A moment later, I felt the chinook move. It was a cool feeling, as it lifted off the ground and ascended towards whatever city our wanted Ant was in. 

It had started to rain before we took off. Lightning flashed, and drops pounded against the roof, making the windows wet. Every time thunder boomed our ride shook. Minor turbulence. 

“I’d better get some rest, too.” May said. “We have a mission tomorrow.” She yawned and fell on her own couch, fast asleep.

Me? I was too scared to sleep. I had so many things on my mind. Was this the first time I was really going to make a difference? Am I actually going to be recognized for my deeds once and for all? Am I actually following my dream?

It seemed too good to be true. I reminded myself that I still had a long way before we restored the peace.  

Pyro and I decided we would organize our supplies since they were all in a heap of grocery bags on the corner of the room. I took out packs of batteries and laid them on the table.

“Those are for the crazy Ant, right?” Pyro asked me.

“Yeah,” I said. That got me thinking about what he was claiming. Information about how to heal the Alliance. What’s been bothering me is that I don’t know the true reason why the Ants attacked us six years ago.

“Hey, Pyro.” I said. “Do you know anything about why your race attacked us? No offence, dude.”

He shook his head. “I dunno. They thought they were stronger? They wanted to prove themselves?”

It still troubled me, but I was sure Pyro didn’t know why. He was still young like me when the war started.

“How did you get past human borders?” I asked. “When you were trying to talk to the humans?”

He looked like he struggled to find the words. “I don’t want to talk about it. It’s a story I never tell anybody.”

“But I’m still amazed,” I said. “I never got the chance to do anything in my life until now. Stupid war wrecked my life.”

“You still have a family.” he said. “And a brother.”

I nodded. Sorting the stuff didn’t take that long. Soon we were done and we got ready for bed.

“Are you ready for your first mission?” Pyro asked me.

I thought about it. 

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” I said. 


































Serenity Always Leads You




6: Cordyceps

June 3-55


Morning was cold and bright. Sunlight streamed through the windows, and the helicopter had landed. 

We were preparing. Jake was wiring up the com devices, Pyro was handing everyone three batteries, and we took turns washing up and dressing in the bathroom. 

“Where’s May and my brother?” I asked Pyro, because I was the last one awake. 

“She’s setting up cameras around populated parts in the city.” he told me. “Only the parts where he was seen the most. As for your brother, he wanted to go with her. She told me to tell you he’ll be fine.”

Boy, Jack wasn’t going to follow me, wasn’t he? I just hoped May would take care of him.

“Jake has to stay here and man the cameras.” Pyro said. “He’ll tell us if he sees an Ant. He’s the only one who can, you know.”

“He can see through even a camera screen?”

He shrugged. “I dunno how his gift works.”

He packed a few things in his bag and slung it over his shoulder. Then he started testing his com.

“It’s our job to find him.” he said. “May will too. And I guess Jack can help her.”

I didn’t know if Jack could spot an Ant any better than I could, but he was already out there anyway. Before me.

“That guy was never a sleeper. He always stayed up late at night and woke up early in the morning. He probably did so he could evade me telling him not to go with May.”

“Not my fault.” he said. “I’m ready. Let’s go.”

He put on sunglasses for the morning sun. Pyro needed them because, well, he was one of the only two Ants in the city.

We walked for about five minutes in the bustling crowd, looking for anyone with a suspicious coat trying to cover their body. Ever since the war, cities were packed. They were so crowded I had people bumping into me and murmuring sorry nonstop. 

“See anything yet?” Pyro asked Jake.

“No. Saw a blur of activity once or twice, but I could tell it wasn’t our Ant friend. Have you?”

“Negative.” I switched the com. “May, anything?”

Her voice was serious. “I… I saw someone running. I think that’s him. To your left. Right on the street. Walk down the path, and he should be to your nine.”

Pyro and I exchanged glances. Then we followed her directions.

After a while, I thought I saw a blur of movement where May had told us. And I wasn’t certain, but I saw red under that hat.

“He knows we’re after him.” Jake told us. “No point in pretending. He’s going down the alley to the street behind the building.”

“Split up.” I said. “Pyro, try to cut him off. We’ll surround him. May, get on the rooftops.”

We went into action. Pyro went around the building as I followed the Ant through the alleyway. When I saw him turn around I tried to turn and pretend I was part of the crowd. He didn’t buy it, so he started running. 

“Pyro, do you see him?” I asked him. 

“Yes. He’s avoiding my direction. There’s another path we didn’t block. He’s walking towards there now.”

“Chase him!” I said. I saw a blur of speed as Pyro started running after him.

I climbed stairs onto one of the buildings rooftops and started running along with him.

I looked down below. Pyro was in hot pursuit with our fugitive. He was running, trying to get lost in the crowd. But Jake guided Pyro to tell him where he needed to go.

I memorized his clothes. Beige trench coat, with a matching fedora. 

I jumped down the building and helped Pyro on the chase. A few minuted later Jake got stumped.

“I’ve lost him.” he said. “Try the two other streets around him.”

Pyro and I met again and split. I ran as fast as I could, hoping I could intercept our target.

Sooner or later as I ran across a street, and somebody bumped into me. It was a hard bump, like the person had incredible strength. I scrambled on the floor, thinking it was our target, but it was just Pyro.

“Huh, just you.” I said.

He hissed. “Tricked us again. Made a loop on a building. He might be one of the people in the crowd.”

Then May intercepted in our coms. “He’s on the rooftops! Hurry, he’s getting away! I’ll try to intercept him.”

“Keep Jack safe!” I told her. Then nodded toward Pyro.

“Looks like I was wrong.” he said. Then we climbed on the 

rooftops together and raced after our friend.

He was faster than us. The only one who could keep us was Pyro. I had to catch my breath.

“What are you doing?” he asked. 

“Resting,” I panted. “You’re the only one who can catch up. I’ll meet you with May on the other side of the street. Go!”

He didn’t hesitate. I ran the other direction, trying to intercept his path. 

Then I ran into May and Jack. 

“There you guys are!” I said. “Jack… you shouldn’t have come.”

“I wanted to!” he said.

“Hey, don’t blame him. I brought him along.” May said. 

“Pyro’s coming along the corner with our target. Get ready.”

I turned my com to Jake. “Jake, do you have a visual?”

“Yes! He’s making an unexpected turn, though. He’s not coming your way. Somehow he knows you’re there. He took a telephone pole cable as a zip line and is going the other way. Hurry!”

“Take Jack.” I told May. “Get to him in his path. Pyro will be following him that way too. I’ll be chasing him.”

“You sure you can use a thick cable as a zip line?”

“Have no choice. He knows he’s the only one that can make that trip. He’ll try to round us up in the direction of his path, then turn around and use it again. Then we’ll all be behind him.”

She smiled. “Smart.”

We split up and I went for the cable. I didn’t know if I could do it, but here goes nothing. 

I grabbed it and swung like it was a vine, and the air whipped around me as I dangled five stories above the ground. 

I heard cars honking and beeping down below. 

My feet landed on the wall on the other side, and I climbed my way up. I broke the bridge, so now he can’t use it to get back.

When I got to the rooftop I ran forward, knowing that he was going to turn around a corner and bump into me any time.

That was before Jake’s warning. “Nix watch your six!”

The clever rhyme got me to whirl fast enough to dodge someone’s punch directed at my head. I had enough time to react, so I tackled him. It was like tackling a stone figure, but I used his weight against him. We toppled on the ground. 

“Leave me alone!” he said. “I dunno anything!”

I stood up faster than him. “You have information about the Alliance.”

“No! I swear, I don’t! That was a lie! I had to escape!”

The Ant was smaller than Pyro. He had a fiery orange tinge to the colour of his skin. 

“Don’t lie to me.” I said. “You said you knew something about healing our Alliance.”

“It won’t work! It’s incurable!” he said, desperate now.

“What?”

He took that moment to run.

“Hey!” I said. “Get back here!”

I was running after him when Pyro came from nowhere and tackled him, blocking our target. 

I just had time to catch up to him before he whacked his arm against the crazy Ant’s leg and I heard a loud crack!

He screamed in pain. His leg was broken, and he couldn’t run.

I glared at Pyro. “That wasn’t necessary.”

“Securing him from running. I had to.”

“Augh!” he couldn’t bear the pain as he was holding his leg. It was bent at an angle.

“Tell us what you know.” I said, my voice deadly serious.

“I know nothing!”

“Do you want two broken legs?” Pyro asked, raising his fist.

The Ant gulped, and shook his head. 

“Then tell us!” I said. “You know something about healing our Alliance. Why do you think the military is so interested in you?”

“I swear, I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

He was a pretty good liar, because I almost believed him when he started acting all innocent.

“We know you know something.” Pyro growled.

“How?”

“Because you ran.”

The Ant closed his eyes and shook, while pulling something from his pocket. A gun, pointed at his head.

Pyro, with lightning speed, slapped it out of his hand before he could pull the trigger. 

I raised an eyebrow. “You’d rather die than tell us?” I looked at Pyro. “The batteries.”

He took them out of his pocket and held it out to the crazy Ant. His eyes filled with glee.

“Ooh!” he almost snatched it away from Pyro’s hand, but Pyro was too quick. “Tell us.”

I could tell the Ant was so crazy over the batteries, he didn’t hesitate.

“Fine! Fine!” he said. “I don’t know everything. But there’s a scientist who does.”

Pyro and I exchanged glances.

“My race is planning to attack the eastern coast tonight at 

midnight. That’s also where you need to go. The scientist lives in a secret department not far from there. If you find him, he’ll tell you everything. he’s there during the war. When the war’s over, he’ll be gone.”

“What about the incurable thing you said?” I asked him.

“What?”

“What does this scientist know? How can he heal the rift between the two races?”

The crazy Ant growled. “Kid, do you even know why the war started?”

“What?”

“You really think our race attacked for no reason? Huh? We’re not stupid kid. I know you know what your race did. This war is NOT OUR�"”

Pyro whacked him in the side of his head, and blood started coming out. “Don’t listen to him, Nix. Next thing he’s gonna say is that your race started the war. That’s not true. You’re a filthy liar.”

“Do you really believe that, Ionicscon?”

Pyro whacked him again. “He’s useless.” he told me. 

“Wait, how did he know your�"”

“Don’t listen to him, Nix. He tells lies.”

“I don’t.” the Ant said. “Give me the batteries.”

I felt cheated. “You haven’t told us anything!”

Suddenly his body started to spark and heat up. The air turned degrees hotter. The concrete roof of the building we were on started to melt. 

“Get down!” Pyro said, as he yanked me down by the shirt below metres away. 

The crazy Ant exploded. Sparks of electricity bounced everywhere, and lightning bolts arced around his body. There 

was a final shock wave, and the frying stopped. All that was left was his burnt body on the ground. The crazy Ant turned himself into a crisp.

I said, “What the�"”

“Shock blast,” Pyro said. “Crazy Ants can do that. He used it to kill himself.”

“How did he know you’re�"”

“Shh,” he said. “I don’t know. Maybe he’s heard of me. I didn’t know I was that popular.”

I found out my com was fried. The Ant’s shock blast acted like an EMP, disabling all our electronic devices.

“They’ll work sooner or later.” Pyro said. “Let’s get back to the helicopter.”

















7: The Diatrymas 


We took a few minutes to get back. May and Jack were already there. 

“Oh, you’re safe!” May said, throwing her arms around me. “You’re com wasn’t working. We figured…” She didn’t finish.

“We’re fine.” I said. 

“What did the crazy Ant say?” 

“Let’s talk about it inside.” Pyro said.

We entered the chinook. I slumped on the couch, my brother sitting next to me. I was tired. 

“What did he say?” Jake asked as he came into the room and sat down.

I told them the whole story.

“Nothing useful.” I finished. “Except that there’s going to be an attack tonight, near the generator. And there’s this scientist who knows how to heal the Alliance.”

Jake considered it. “What do you mean nothing useful? That’s useful! We should go see him. The generator is near the war anyway. Maybe the Ants are attacking it?”

“Yeah. I don’t know how they found it.” I said. “It’s top secret. Only you and your dad and some military know about it.”

“Maybe they’re not going for it.” Pyro said. “We don’t even know if this scientist is human or Ant. Maybe the Ants knew the crazy Ant we were hunting, and he told them about the scientist too.”

“I don’t know how he would get information like that.” I 

said. “Maybe he was lying. Maybe he was just tricking us so we would have something to believe in.”

“The least we could do is check.” Jake said. “We’re going after the generator anyway. Might as well do it. If the Ant is telling the truth, and the scientist knows how to make our races friends again, then we’re all happy! There’s nothing to lose.”

“You’re forgetting about the war, Jake.” May said. “This attack is near the generator. The generator is near the scientist. The scientist is hiding somewhere there. It’s all the same place. Suspicious, don’t you think?”

“I just don’t understand why he would tell us where the next attack is. I mean, we could tell Jake’s dad. But, well, he won’t believe it.” I said. 

“The crazy Ant knew someone that knows how to heal the gap between our races.” Pyro told me. “Sounds like someone who wants to do it as well.”

“So you’re saying he’s helping us?” Jake said. “That’s awesome! Oh, wait, he killed himself.”

“He told you the info we need, then killed himself.” May said. “What’s the point in that?”

I looked at Pyro. The Ant knew his name. But I could see it in his eyes he didn’t know why. 

“I don’t know,” I said. “Doesn’t make sense to me.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Jake said. “The attack is tonight. We have the whole afternoon to plan, right? We’ll check this scientist guy tonight. See what he has. If the Ants are going for him, we have to be quick. If the Ants are going for the generator, we don’t have to do that ourselves. If they’re just attacking the coast, then we’ll destroy the generator. Nothing complicated about that.”

“But something’s been bothering me.” I said. “He said his

 race attacked for a reason. Like, a real reason. I’m stumped.”

“Just don’t worry about it.” May told me. “He’s called a crazy Ant for a reason. Maybe he was just lying.”

“Yeah,” Pyro said. “He was lying.”

I shivered. Pyro and May actually agreed on something?

“What about when he told me that it wouldn’t work? That something was incurable?” I said.

We all sat in silence.

“The disease?” 

I had forgotten that my brother was beside me. He’d been quiet for so long.

“What?” I asked him.

“The disease. The one on the News. Maybe that’s what he was talking about.” he said.

“It would make sense,” Jake said. “The disease is the thing that both our races are fighting. But I wouldn’t know why the Ant would say it’s incurable, because we already knew that. Unless it’s something important.”

He said it like he wasn’t totally honest. I figured he could’ve been hiding something, because he was the General’s son, but I let go of the idea. Jake was our friend. His loyalty lies with us.

“It’s not important.” Pyro assured. “Believe me. He was insane.”

I didn’t like his tone. Like he knew something we didn’t. Maybe a theory?

“We have to plan for tonight.” Jake said. “I’ll get the gear ready.”

He rushed off to the room he was manning the cameras in. I could hear him fumbling with our equipment.

“I’ll help!” Jack said, and jumped off the couch and followed him.

“I’d better go too.” May said. “We’ll plan something. You guys were the ones running. You need rest.” 

She followed Jack into the room.

I was glad that I was allowed to sit back and relax. I was aching. Years staying in the house really did something to my body.

Pyro didn’t look tired. His antennas were alert, and his eyes were scanning the room.

“Humph.” he said. “She just went because she doesn’t like me. I can tell.”

“Don’t be so hard on her.” I said. “She’s lived a hard life.”

He sighed. Then he leaned back in his couch.

I thought about what happened with the crazy Ant, when Pyro tackled him like a pro, and he knew exactly what to do to not let him escape.

“Pyro, how were you such an expert when we caught that guy?”

“What do you mean?” 

“You like, went to a training school or something. You somehow knew where he was when I was chasing him. You tackled him and broke his leg so he couldn’t escape. You knew how to punch. You knew to get down like he was some sort of grenade. Were you, like, a soldier or something before I found you?”

His beady eyes were distant. “I dunno. I guess I know a lot about my race. I’m not a soldier, no. Nothing like that. I’m like you. I want to make peace.”

I had trouble believing him, but for a guy who lost his family to my race, I decided not to pester him more. 

“That was pretty awesome, though.” I said. “I’m glad to have you on our team. Wherever you learned moves like that, 

I’m proud.”

“You should get some sleep,” he suggested. “Our mission’s at midnight.”

I sighed. “I don’t want to sleep. I’m restless. If you didn’t know, I’ve been cooped up in my house for too long. Chasing that crazy Ant, that was the most exciting thing I’ve ever done in my life. I want to do more of it. I feel like my life has a purpose, and people actually depend on me. The feeling I’ve been waiting for my whole life.”

He stared at me. “Don’t worry. We’ll do it. You and I, we’ll accomplish the impossible. We’ll stop the war. I know it.”

I smiled. Pyro had so much confidence. I had some too. I believed I could do it. My parents were waiting me to come home with my dream achieved. This is what I’ve wanted my entire life. Ever since I was born.

I studied him. “You don’t want to destroy the Infinity Chamber, do you?”

He shook his head like he hated the idea. “No.”

“It’s the only way,” I told him. “It’s not like my race has one big mass consciousness that leads us. Plus, you don’t need that kind of connection anymore. You have a new family now. Our family.”

His face told me that he was thinking about his old one. 

“I should tell you something, Nix,” he said. “I really should. My family…” He looked like he was about to cry. 

“You don’t have to tell me.” I said.

“Never mind. You’re right. It’s too sad to bear it in my head again.”

Just then the door opened. May was there.

“Guys, come. We’re going to plan our thievery.”

We followed her inside, leaving me to wonder what that 

could possibly mean.

Inside the room was like a computer and surveillance room for spies. All the screens were green, giving the room a lime glow. There was a table in the middle where Jake and his bodyguards were sitting. And Jack.

We filed in around the table. On the table were some plastic beads, a toy armadillo, a plastic helicopter, a water bottle, and a figurine of a mad scientist. 

“What’s this about?” I asked him.

“We’re planning what we’re going to do, right?” he said.

I looked at all the stuff on the table. “Okay…”

“So first,” Jake said, “we have to get to the scientist. We have to go during the attack, because our Ant friend said he’ll be gone by then, right?”

“Yeah,” Pyro said. 

“So, to get through the war, we can’t use our helicopter.” he said. “It’s military class. They’ll see us as part of the human army and blast as out of the sky.”

“Human army?” May asked.

“Yeah. I called my dad. He doesn’t really believe me, but at least I convinced him to set up some security measures at that coast. I told him they were coming tonight.” 

“So how do we get pass the war without our helicopter?” I asked.

“That’s where this little guy comes in!” he said, holding up the toy armadillo. “The military has set up this outpost near the generator, just to protect it when needed. They have a stash of Dasypods in the hangar that my father’s going to use during the attack. We’re going to take one.”

Jack’s face lit up. “Oh! This is going to be fun! Can I ride it? Please? Please?”

“No,” I told him. “You’re staying here.”

“Aww.” His face looked ashen.

“How are we going to steal this?” Pyro asked. “And your father’s going to be angry.”

“Pssh, I’m sure he won’t mind.” Jake said. “Don’t worry about me, worry about the mission. That’s also where you come in play, Pyro!” 

He took a red bead and slid it towards two brown beads beside the armadillo, and flicked them off the table.

“You’re going to knock them out!” he said. “Then we go in and take it!”

“Me?”

“Yeah, you!” he said. “You’re the most reliable one to do it. Then…” He slid the armadillo across the table, through a bunch of different coloured beads, and to the mad scientist figurine.

“We take the Dasypod through the battle, and to the scientist!” He looked impressed with himself. “What can be a better plan than that?”

“Who’s going on the Dasypod?” May asked. “It only fits up to two people.”

“Oh.” Jake said. “Then we take more than one!” 

“They need it for the attack, Jake.” I told him. “Let’s only take one. Pyro obviously goes.”

“And you.” May told me.

“What?”

She rolled her eyes. “Oh come on! It’s your dream of stopping the war. I say you should go meet the scientist. Jake and I will prepare here. When you come back, you tell us what you’ve got. If you find nothing, then we leave for the generator.”

“We can’t do that.” I said. “They need it for the attack, don’t

 they? We can’t risk destroying it when they need it most.”

“Yeah,” Jake agreed. “And honey, I would like to ride a Dasypod too! That’s my dream! I’ve never rode one before.”

“You and Pyro go,” I said. “We’ll stay here.”

“That’s boring.” May said.

“I agree,” Pyro said. “We’ll take two. Nix has to go. It’s his dream. And he’s the leader.”

I made a confused face. “I am?”

“Don’t be so modest!” Pyro told me. “You assembled the team! You want to stop the war more than any of us! We’re taking two.”

“Yes! Amazing plan!” Jake said, but I had a feeling he just wanted to ride a Dasypod. “Okay, so we take two. Find out whatever we can. Then we take the Dasypod…” he slid it over to the water bottle, “and destroy the generator in the morning. Brilliant!” 

“What do I get to do?” Jack asked. “I want to ride an Armadillo.”

“He’ll stay with your bodyguards here. Right Jake?” I asked him.

“Of course! Don’t worry buddy, you’ll be safe here. My guards are the best and the brightest! Isn’t that right guys?”

They just nodded. I didn’t know how he saw them as bright, but whatever. 

“I don’t want to stay here.” Jack pouted. “That’s boring.”

“That’s safe. You have the video games.” I said. 

“Oh yeah,” he said. “Okay, it’s not so boring anymore.”

Jake smiled. “Okay then! We all know the plan. We ride the Dasypods together through the battlefield. It will protect us. Then we find the secret hideout of the scientist. Sounds good!”

I looked at Pyro. “You okay about knocking out guards?”

He shrugged. “As long as it leads to peace.”

“Don’t kill them,” May said as a joke.

Pyro took it seriously. “I won’t.” he growled.

“That settles it!” Jake said. “Let’s all get our gear set up and wait for twelve. We’ll ride our helicopter to the outpost right now. It’ll be a long ride.”

We all got up and left the room. 

Lunch was roast beef sandwiches and cartons of milk. We ate as we headed towards the outpost. It was only twelve. Twelve more hours until the mission.

After we ate Jake invited us to play his video games.

“It’s actually really fun,” Pyro told us.

May and I weren’t in for it.

“Suit yourself.” he said as he walked past. 

We sat on the couch, bored as we waited for hours until we  would arrive there.

“Hey,” I said to May, “you know my parents?”

“Yeah?”

“They were sorry.” I said. “They apologized. You should forgive them too. They hated themselves for rejecting you.”

She looked like she still didn’t accept it. “I knew they would. But still, I hated that night. I still have nightmares about the Ants attacking my home.”

“Forgive Pyro too. He didn’t do anything.”

She sighed. “Nix, I don’t care anymore, okay? I’ve been confused my whole life. I’ve hated the Ants my whole life. I’ve never felt any sympathy for them. Pyro is my friend, but no matter what you do, I’m never going to like his kind.”

I thought about that. “Even if we repair the Alliance?”

“Nope.”

“Even if they start living among us, being nice to us, you 

still won’t�"”

“Nope.”

“Nothing will ever get you to like them.”

“Never did, never will.”

Wow. Okay, I knew how she felt. If my family took my parents, my home, my little brother Jack, I don’t think I’d ever forgive them either. Maybe if something like that had happened to me before I met Pyro, I really would leave him in the dumpster. Or call the cops. 

Maybe that’s why nobody thought of healing the Alliance again. Making another truce. The Ants have done such cruel things, the gap was too big to stitch back.

The first attack was years ago. I was terrified as a little kid, closing my eyes, wishing the TV would stop working. The Ants had dropped a nuke that blasted a pure human city to bits. Millions of people lost their lives. Thousands of people lost their families. Those same people would never, ever think of sharing the same space with them again. Sharing the same park. Sharing the same school. Never. 

All my life I’ve wanted to know how it was like before the war. Before every single Ant in our cities were killed. How diverse the world was back then fifty years ago until now. Were human and Ant best friends? Would they share the same table seats as life long pals? Were our worlds ever not separated? 

I knew some people hated thinking of the world like that. People who lost others they knew or loved from an attack by the Ants. And people saw our race so betrayed. 

After all, we had taught the Ants. We befriended them. We helped them grow into the intelligent, diverse species we know them as today. 

When that crazy Ant told us that their race wasn’t stupid 

enough to attack for no reason, I surely believed him. From the stories I’d heard when my parents were growing up, the Ants would never do such a thing. 

Never. 

So why?

“What’s troubling you?” May asked, touching my knee. 

“I dunno.” I said honestly. “I’ve always liked the Ants. Somehow I know this war isn’t really their fault, even though they’re the ones who provoked us.”

She pursed her lips. “Pyro might know a thing.”

“No he wouldn’t!” I said, barely believing what she just said. “He would never help them. He’s wants peace just as much as me. You should too. This was what we wanted when we were seven. Now it’s like you don’t want peace anymore, just because you hate them for taking your family.”

A tear fell down her cheek. I didn’t mean to offend her. 

“I’m taking a nap,” she told me, then faced away and pretended she was tired on the couch. 

I felt guilty.

I needed something to take my mind off things. I looked at Jake’s tablet on the floor. He said anyone of us can use it, and he didn’t care what application we used. He doesn’t really care about privacy.

I snatched it from the floor. When I opened it, it was already on a page in the net. The heading read, The Diatryma project, classified. 

I could tell this site he went on needed a password for his account, and I considered not reading it because he wouldn’t want me here, but as people say, curiosity is my weakness. I began to read it:

The Diatryma project, classified


The hydro dam in the north-eastern coast proved itself helpful. It now has enough energy to create humanity’s most powerful weapon yet.

The casing is filled with the parasitic fungus disease called ‘Ophiocordyceps’. Deadly to both Ant and human, on June 8-55 the military will launch this secret, devastating weapon unknown by the public at the heart of the Ant city with the Infinity Chamber, destroying the core as well as infecting every Ant in a multiple kilometre-wide radius. The military concludes that this will be the final end of all Ants. 

The reason why it is called the Diatryma project is because back then, tens of thousands of years ago, the first horse was called the Eohippus. It was impossible how small it was, no bigger than a dog, but yet it evolved into the huge modern horse we know today.

The Ants were like that. They evolved as big as us, along with our pollution to help them mutate. It was extraordinary at first, but that was before the war started. 

The Diatryma was a large flightless bird, bigger than even us. It ate small mammals for its meals, including the Eohippus. 

The bomb we will launch will prove to the Ants that we are the Diatrymas. We are the predators, and they are the prey. 

This bomb will save humanity. It is our final hope.

We will rid the earth of these creatures. Once being crunched under our foot, forever they shall be crunched by our foot.


I hadn’t realized I had been crying until my tears dropped on the screen of Jake’s tablet.

Pyro came over. “Why are you crying?”

I wiped my eyes, but they just kept coming. “Nothing.” I said. “It’s just… horrible.”

“What’s horrible?” he asked, trying to comfort me.

“Humans and Ants used be great friends,” I sniffled. “Now they’re worst enemies. They wouldn’t give a second thought to kill each other.”

Pyro sighed. “That’s not true Nix, and you know that. I’m here, and I’m an Ant. You’re here with me. I would give up my life to save you. I’m sure you would do the same.”

“Of course, Pyro.” I told him. “I never want to be like them. I’ll always love both races. And I’ll give up my life to save the Alliance. I just… I’m just hoping there’s still a chance. That it’s not too broken to fix it yet. That there’s more people out there like us, thinking how amazing it used to be back in the good days.”

“I’m sure there are.” Pyro said. “But they’re probably not doing anything about it. They’re probably still hiding behind locked doors. You and I, Nix, everybody on this chopper, we’re actually making a difference. And you shouldn’t care what other people think about you. Don’t care if they think you don’t belong with them. Because all of us, your friends, will always recognize how valuable you are. We’ll always recognize your great deeds. And someday, I’m sure of it. You’re going to be a kid’s idol.”

I sniffled. “Thanks, Pyro. I can’t let you guys down. Or everybody I know. I will stop this war. I will restore the peace. Whether people like it or not.”

I could never tell if Ants could smile, but right now Pyro seemed to be doing it. “You’re a hero, Nix. Don’t ever forget that.”

I stared at the tablet screen, holding a secret that would cause the Antkind’s doom. I closed it. 

Jake knew about it too. He was reading this page. I couldn’t tell him I saw it. It was classified.

He had already told us about it. He knew. And now I did. I saw how serious this weapon could be.

I made a silent oath. I swear, with all my life, that I had to stop this project from happening. 

Even if it means with my final breath. 









8: Revealing

I didn’t remember falling asleep, again.

My body felt fresh and new. Not aching like yesterday. Jake woke us up ten minutes before midnight.

“Let’s go, guys.” he said.  

We all groaned but followed him. We changed into camouflage jumpsuits, packed flashlights and our coms, and went through a recheck on the plan.

“Ready to steal my dad’s vehicles?” Jake asked, obviously excited for this moment.

“Yes!” the rest of us said.

“Go… Myrmidons!” 

We ignored him. Slinging our backpacks over our shoulders, we headed out, pulling our night vision goggles down. My brother was still asleep, and the guards were silently watching the TV.

We sneaked through the forest. It was cold but humid. Insects chirped and creaked. The grass was high and thick.

My mind was on the Eternal Archives. Jake said it made its intruders lose their will to fight. Last night, I wondered if anything could make me forget about my dream to stop the war.

And I remembered Pyro telling me he didn’t want his connection to the core lost. I could understand, because he was an Ant. But I figured we were the ones losing this war. Stopping the Ants was the whole point here.

We arrived at the base in a few minutes. 

“You guys stay here,” Jake told us. “I’ll scout alone. Tell you 

guys what’s up.”

“I’ll go the other way.” May said. She looked a bit uncomfortable, and I wondered if Pyro was right about her hating him.

“Good. Meet you here in five minutes.” Jake said.

They wandered off in different directions.

Pyro and I sat in the grass, trying to blend in. I watched as people loaded cargo to the outpost in cranes lifting boxes, them pushing it in the base. It was a huge, long hangar with a round roof. Lights went down along the sides, lighting up the place around it.

I looked at Pyro. He seemed to be studying the dirt floor.

“Your race doesn’t deserve living there anymore.” I said. “You have intelligent minds now. We shouldn’t be fighting you. We have to make them realize that.”

He exhaled. “I never want your race’s dirty shoes on us again.”

I laughed a tiny bit. “Yeah.”

After a moment, I asked, “Why do you want to keep your connection to the Queen anyway?”

“It’s not that, Nix.” he said. “It’s the Eternal Archives that’s troubling me. I’m just not sure if I’ll be up to the task, to lead you guys through there.”

“You can do it.” I encouraged. “You’re the best Ant on this planet.”

“I know. But they say only one with the clearest mind and the truest heart can lead a group through there. Because if you have those things, you’ll see past the illusions and refuse the tempting desires.”

“You have both of those.” I said. “The best ones, actually.”

“They also say only a true Ant can lead.”

“Oh.” I clearly understood now. “You don’t think you’re a true Ant because…”

“Because I betrayed my race.” he said. “I know I’ll never regret fighting for what’s right. But sometimes, I consider it. I dunno. Maybe what they mean is you have to physically be an Ant.”

“Yeah.” I said. “You don’t have to worry too much. Everybody’s going to come out alive after this is over. The world will go back to the way it used to be.”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

Then I heard a crackle in my com. Jake was speaking.

“Clear.” he said. “Move in, guys. Those parked Dasypods look so steal-worthy�"uh, I mean, fully operational. Let’s go.”

We got up and met with Jake and May at the top of a hill next to the garage.

“They’ll never see us coming.” Jake told us. “Hurry!”

We sneaked in. The lights were on, and I saw a row of round shaped vehicles; the armadillos. We hid behind one of them as Pyro snuck behind one guard and whacked him on the back of the head so hard, he passed out cold. The other didn’t even notice. He got knocked out too.

We dragged the bodies behind an armadillo to cause the least amount of suspicion. 

“Great!” Jake said. “Everything is going smoothly�"”

Right when he said that, the alarm rang.

He frowned. “Or maybe not.” 

“Of course it happens right when you say that.” May said, annoyed.

Red lights flashed around the area. I heard people shouting from outside.

“I don’t know how they found out, but we’ve got to get out 

of here.” I said.

May had already climbed in one. She held out her hand for me to reach and said, “Hurry!”

Obviously she didn’t want to be in one with Pyro, or with an annoying boy called Jake. I climbed in quick. The shouts were getting closer. Pyro and Jake jumped in their own and speeded on their way, with Jake shouting, “Woohoo!” Lucky for him, he knew how to use the controls. 

“How do you use this thing?” May asked frantically, while pushing a bunch of random buttons. One accidentally fired a rocket and exploded the wall.

“Oops,” she said.

At the front, I gripped the controls. I pushed forward experimentally, but we went so fast we exited the garage and and went through our hole in the wall in a split second.

May screamed. I yelled to her over the engine, “Hold on!”

She grabbed onto my waist for dear life. We sped through the trees at a billion kilometres per hour. The whole world was a blur. I couldn’t tell where I was going. The engine hummed so loudly I couldn’t hear anything either. Every time we hit a tree, the Armadillo was so powerful it cracked it in half. We made a million Charlies as we drove by. 

The Armadillo made motorcycle noises every time we accelerated. I laughed out loud. It was the best feeling in the world. 

You have a wild spirit, my son, and it should be let free. My dad had said.

We reached the coast in no time. And it was the first time I saw a full-fledged war.

I hated every single part of it. People were firing funs at each other, human and Ant. Big Ants called carpenter Ants were smashing through hordes of soldiers and breaking their necks with their bare hands. 

Fire blazed, lightning bolts struck, explosions in the dirt were created. Anteaters fired massive explosions at the enemy, taking down tons of them. Armadillos rolled on the battlefield, firing missiles at anything in their way or running them over. 

Horned lizards had their own war in the air. They were firing projectiles at the Ant’s version of flying vehicles. Exploding shrapnel fell from the sky. I had to swerve around to dodge them.

I didn’t dare look at the violence too long. I just looked ahead in our glass windshield. At one point there was a huge soldier Ant in our way. I didn’t know if our Armadillo could take him, and I didn’t want to try. I swerved our vehicle left and avoided running him over.

“What are you doing?” May yelled to me over the gunfire and explosions. “Why didn’t you run him over?”

“I didn’t want to!” I yelled back. “It’s not right!”

The Ants came in battleships that parked themselves at the beach. Of course, where they were coming was the way we were heading. We were surrounded by Ants. 

May looked frightened, and she hugged me tighter. She didn’t like being in the middle of all of them.

“Get them to of my sight!” she said, closing her eyes.

“We have to find Jake and Pyro!” I said. “They’re here somewhere.”

Our armadillo rolled so fast along the beach it spewed sand everywhere behind us. I had to swerve left and right at incoming attacks. 

Once a missile launcher was aimed at us, from far away. It fired, the rocket coming our way at blazing speed, with smoke billowing from behind it, locked on our vehicle. Our armadillo couldn’t outrun the thing.

“Hold on!” I yelled.

“I am holding on!”

“Tighter!”

The explosion shook our vehicle sideways. For a moment we were suspended in air, then we crashed. The impact shocked our whole vehicle, and the windshield shattered, the glass spraying everywhere.

We stood there scared to death for a moment.

“Jake was right.” I said. “It protected us.”

May moaned. “I hate Jake.”

I turned our vehicle in the right path, and we were back on track. 

My com device crackled. “Nixy boy, over here! Pyro and I found an opening in this hill. There’s a secret door. I’m sure you’ll find it. Probably.”

“Probably?” May said.

“Get over here!” he continued. Then he was out.

I raced along the beach looking for the hill. Once an Ant started firing bullets nonstop at us, and we had to duck because our windshield was gone. Another one weaved his arm underneath us and slid it upwards, and our Armadillo shook and took a moment of flight. We crashed on the ground and was back on the road.

After being scared to death, May said, “There!”

I turned our vehicle so sharply, I accidentally crashed it upon a tree. Our Armadillo’s front was so badly ruined and splintered. The glass was shattered, the wheel was wrecked, and bits of metal stuck out everywhere like an explosion. I guess Charlie got his revenge.

“There you guys are!” Jake said, coming around the hill with Pyro. “Come on, let’s go meet this scientist guy.”

We followed him around the hill. Soon we found a metal door etched in it, like a bunker underneath the hill.

“Whoa,” I said. 

Pyro was the only one who could open it. It needed a password, but I guess it wasn’t Ant-proof, because Pyro ripped it off its hinges like no big deal.

“Oops,” he said, carrying a small, heavy looking thick metal door. 

He placed it down and we went in.

It had that cold, musty underground smell. It made me shiver. There were iron tables covered with skyscraper high notes and sheets, counters filled with vials of mixtures and chemicals, and unfinished and finished projects lying around everywhere. Typical scientist lab.

“Creepy.” May said.

“Don’t touch anything.” I said. Nobody disagreed.

There was a single metal door in the far end of the room. It was rusty at the edges. Something told me that whoever lived here might not be sane.

I held up fingers: one, two three.

I opened the door.

A white haired man was sitting in a desk in a lab coat, with his back to us.

“Hello,” he said casually as he was working on something on a computer. “I’ve been expecting you.”

We exchanged uneasy glances. Um… what? We took a step forward. 

“We know you know something.” I said. “This crazy Ant sent us.”

“Yes, yes, I know.” He turned around. His face was withered and old. His eyes were white. He was holding a blue vial in his fingers. We all took a step backwards.

“You’ve come looking for this, eh?” he said.

Okay, I’ll admit the guy kind of creeped me out. He knew we were coming, and he was prepared, too.

“No,” I said. “We don’t know what we’ve come for. This crazy Ant just told us you have something that can help stop the war.”

The old man sighed. “Ah, yes. My apprentice, it seems. Left me when he thought it wouldn’t work. In the end, his loyalty was with the Ants.”

“He was your apprentice?” May asked.

That didn’t seem too strange to me. Ever since the new era, every human took their duty to take an Ant apprentice and teach them everything about the world. They stopped doing that long ago, but apparently the scientist didn’t. 

“Yes, my dear. And do you know what he was talking about?”

We all shook our heads.

“Funny how little kids know these days.” He sighed. “Let me tell you a story. You kids can sit.”

None of us did. 

“A long time ago, I lived in a world where there was peace. The Ants and humans were united as one. There were no more wars. The Ants showed us that. They showed us much more.”

His eyes turned a bit sad. We listened carefully.

“In return, we taught them everything we knew. How to create, not destroy. How to care, not to kill. Now they are doing the opposite, it quite seems. And maybe it wasn’t their fault.”

That was exactly what the crazy Ant said.

“Why?” I asked. “What happened that made them do this?”

“They attacked first.” he said. “Nothing will change that. But I know something that proves otherwise. The military knows about me. They said they would hunt me down if I tell you. And so I won’t.”

I wanted to tell him that they were already hunting him down, but I didn’t.

The old man coughed. May took out a water bottle from her pack but he waved it aside.

“I’m too close to death.” he said. “I can’t tell you much.”

“But we came here for answers.” Jake said.

“My dear, all you needed to get from me is this.” He held up the tiny vial of blue liquid. “It may not seem like much, but you will understand the true importance of it sooner or later. It can heal the rift between our two races. It is the answer to repairing our Alliance.” 

“What is it?” May asked.

The old man paused. “I’ve been working on it my entire life. I believe it is the answer to this war. It is the cordyceps cure.”

May gasped, but I didn’t know why.

My eyes widened. “It is?”

“Very well, my boy. Some people think that cordyceps is incurable, but that’s because there was this popular video game  about this situation made in the last era. I forgot what it was called. It was portrayed incurable there, and so I hope that it never comes to that situation. Anyways, I have only one bottle of it. Ever since the war started I’ve dedicated myself to make this cure. No more fighting the disease. It’s too horrible how much I’ve researched it, how much I’ve seen what it could do to people. Take it.”

He stood up and carefully walked over to us.

“You’re here to stop the war.” he guessed.

“Yeah,” I said. “We came here for an answer.”

“Then this is the key. And I find it safer with you.” he opened my hands and placed the vial in my palm. “Take it to the military.” he told me. “Let them make copies of this. It will stop the war.”

“How?” I asked.

“You really don’t know why the war started, do you, my boy? Do any of you know?”

May and I shook our heads. I didn’t know why, but Jake and Pyro didn’t. They stood there awkwardly. 

“You will figure it out. Keep that bottle safe. In time you will figure out the true importance of it. If you ever want a chance in healing the rift, keep it safe.”

I stared at the bottle in my hand. I was as curious as ever. Why was this cure so important for stopping the war? What secret did it hold?

My friends all gathered around and took a look at it. It felt cold and light in my palm. 

The scientist walked over to his desk and started shutting down his computers. “You and I have a very special gift, boy. We both have the same intention�"to stop the war. We just do it in different ways. But now that I’ve given you my way, you will do both.”

“Where are you going?” May asked him.

He was packing up his stuff in a leather bag. “Away. The war’s almost finished. As my apprentice told you, I leave when the war ends.”

“Why?” Jake asked. 

“I’m a very wanted man, my boy.” he explained. “The only way I hide is by being in the middle of the war. That way, the people who are hunting me have trouble getting to me. I make bases everywhere where there are the most occurrences. I’m glad you kids made it, though. You can prove yourself quite useful if you bring that bottle to the military to research and make more of it.”

I suddenly inched back. “You’re a wanted man? What did you do?”

He chuckled softly. “I didn’t do anything, my boy. I was like you. I wanted to stop the war. People saw me as crazy. I still had an Ant apprentice, like the good old days. Now they see me as a disgrace. My race doesn’t want me anymore. That crazy Ant the military caught was the best lead they’ve gotten to finding me, but he escaped. And now he’s killed himself.”

He shook his head. “Never saw that I could accomplish the cure. He never believed in me. Although he was still my apprentice, and I miss him.”

I gripped the vial in my hand. This bottle… the scientist spent his whole life to make it. He’d risked everything. The crazy Ant even died trying to keep it a secret. The military wanted him. This was his life’s work. If he did everything he could to create it, then it must’ve been deadly important. Another person I couldn’t let down.

“I’ll bring it to the military.” I promised. “We’ll tell them you weren’t crazy. Maybe they’ll accept you back.”

The old man smiled. “I have no problem believing you can convince them, my boy. But alas, my time has come. That bottle was everything I’ve ever worked for. Getting it to humanity, is my only request.” 

“You’re not crazy.” May told him. “In fact, us and you are the only logical beings in this world. We actually have hearts. Thank you, for this. When we come back, people will see you 

as a hero.”

“You all have kind hearts indeed,” he said. “Good luck on healing the Alliance. That bottle has the answer to that, too.”

And with that, he opened a secret passageway in the wall, and was gone.






























9: The Key

We were exhausted when we got to the chinook. We drank bottles of water and juice to fill our thirsts.

“That was awesome man!” Jake was saying. “Cross riding a Dasypod off my bucket list! That was the best feeling in my life!”

“Shh,” May warned, “you’ll wake up Nix’s brother.”

“Oh yeah.”

The whole time I was staring at the little bottle in my hand. It was so small to be so important. I didn’t understand why the scientist told us this was the key to stopping the war. It was just a cure to a new disease spreading. 

“All we got was this,” Pyro said as if reading my thoughts. He pointed at the vial in my hand. “I have no idea how that’s going to help us.”

I sighed. “It was still worth it. If we give it to the military, they’ll understand, right?”

“We have to understand its potential first.” May said. “We don’t even know how that helps us.”

“I can send it to my dad.” Jake said. “Or we can.”

“No,” I said. “I think its too dangerous. I’ll deliver it myself. And I think May’s right. We have to understand what it means first if we’re going to just give it away.”

Pyro shrugged like he was stumped. “It’s a cure for the cordyceps, Nix. Maybe we should give it as fast as possible. People are dying out there.”

“No. I have to keep it.” I said. “A gut feeling. I have to 

understand it.”

“All we know is that we came to him for answers,” Jake said. “And we didn’t get any. Just more mysteries.” 

“This is hopeless.” Pyro said. 

“I know,” I said. “We still don’t know why the Ants started the war.”

Jake cringed at that.

“What?” I asked him.

“Nothing. Just… I’m pretty sure that bottle is important. And, yeah. Keep it. We can’t risk losing it.”

“Are we going to destroy the generator tomorrow?” May asked.

Jake yawned. “Maybe at lunchtime. I know I’ll be sleeping heavily tonight.”

“We have to plan it carefully.” I said. 

“Of course. I’ll get my figurines and�"”

“We don’t need them,” May said.

“But, that’s what spies used, right?” he said. “Or those Greek strategists at the battle of Troy.”

I just sighed at that. “Whatever.”

Nobody knew the real reason why I wanted to destroy that generator. It was because of the bomb. The cordyceps nuke that was going to fire in three days, or less. The note read that they were using it for the bomb. Maybe that’s what the Ants were after. They knew about the bomb. They wanted to destroy the generator, like us. 

We’re not stupid kid. I know you know what your race did. The crazy Ant’s voice echoed in my head.

I felt a twinge of guilt. What did we do? I’ve been told several times the Ants didn’t attack for no reason. 

I knew I shouldn’t have felt guilty. I had nothing to do with 

the bomb. But somehow, just by being human, just by being the same race as the people creating the weapon, I felt like it was my fault. It was all on me.

Suddenly, miraculously, two phones in the room rang at the same time.

May seemed to know exactly who it was on hers. Her face filled with alert. “My grandparents!” She went for her phone in her bag, muttering something about what she was going to tell them.

“Uh-oh,” Jake said when he picked up his phone. “My dad. He’s probably done commanding the war and now finally wondering where I am. Excuse me, guys. I have to make up some clever story and lie about where I am. Don’t worry, I’m an expert liar.”

He got up and went for his room. May went to the bathroom to get some room to talk.

I laid my head back on the couch. “Looks like my parents don’t care about me.” I mumbled.

“I’m sure they do.” Pyro said. “They’re probably worrying about Jack, too. But right now, they’re probably asleep.”

“Oh yeah.” I said. 

Pyro didn’t look tired. It was like the guy barely even slept. He was our strongest member on our team.

He looked at the blank TV screen. “I hated that war, Nix. Our races were slaughtering each other. I’m pretty sure hundreds died that night.”

I sighed. “Yeah. It sucks. I hated it too. I never want to see one again. I want to end it once and for all.”

“You want to end us once and for all.”

“Look, Pyro.” I said. “We don’t have to destroy the Infinity 

Chamber. If you really don’t want it, we won’t. We listen to

 every member on this team. That includes you.”

“Don’t take it the wrong way,” he said. “I want to destroy it. I know it will end the war. It will help, at least. My race has generals as well as the big leader. The generals will lead them back into their senses eventually. But that takes a few weeks.”

“That’s why you don’t want to destroy it.” I said. “In those few weeks my race will kill you. You don’t want your race to die.”

His eyes turned dark. “I’m an Ant, Nix. No matter what crimes my race committed, I will always, always never want them to go extinct. They are my kind. And no matter what your race has done, you should still be on their side too.”

Somewhere within, I knew he was right. The people creating the bomb, they were my kind. And we taught the Ants everything. We were their teachers. And now they attacked us. Somehow, I thought that maybe it was a little right to send a devastating extinction bomb at them. 

Wow, what was I thinking? No, that wasn’t right. 

But even though, I thought about how much humans have accomplished over hundreds of thousands of years. Up to this day, we were too intelligent to be called animals now. I was proud to be human. They were my kind.

But I guess people didn’t see the same for the Ants. They still saw them as insects that needed to be squashed under their feet.

Pyro was right. My race did commit a lot of crimes. Including the most horrible.

“I’m sorry about your parents,” I said. “I’m sorry my race was so cruel to you. They’re my kind, so I wish I could somehow get punished too.”

“You don’t deserve any punishment,” he said. “You did 

nothing wrong. You’re even the one trying to make up for that wrong.”

“I know. But still… I’m sorry.”

His eyes got watery. “I miss them so much.”

We were silent for a while, listening to May in the bathroom trying to assure her grandparents she was fine and she was going to be away for some time. 

“What’s the deal with her?” Pyro asked me. “Why does she hate me so much?”

She hated talking about it. But I guess I owed Pyro an explanation. 

“Back when we were seven,” I said, “one year after the war, the Ants attacked her town and she ran away. I found her by my house, and gave her a home.” I sniffled back some tears. “My parents didn’t approve, so I brought her to her grandparent’s house. I promised she would never see an Ant again.”

“So she hates my race.” he said. 

I hesitated. “Sure,” I said quietly. 

“What’s wrong?”

“I also promised I’d visit her. Now I think she hates me. Even though she said she didn’t. I still don’t feel right.”

“Because she felt like you abandoned her.”

“Yeah,” I sniffled. “I’m a messed up kid. What am I doing anyway?” 

“You’re following your dream.” he said. “Don’t let anything stop you from doing that.”

“You’re right.” I smiled. “I’m glad I have friends who support me. Otherwise I’d make no progress.”

He relaxed in his couch. “Soon we’ll be wanted, Nix. Like the scientist.”

“Why?”

“Not because people will think you’re crazy. Because we’re going to raid the most important supply of energy to the military tomorrow.”

“Oh.”

“Tomorrow Jake’s dad finds out his son’s a traitor. Tomorrow you’re actually going to make progress in stopping the war, instead of getting more mysteries and questions you need answers to. Tomorrow’s our real mission. The mission that will make a difference once and for all.”

“Yeah.”

“We’re going to destroy it,” he said. “Stop your race from wasting materials on stupid weapons that doesn’t help stop the war. Just make it worse.”

He finally lied down and pulled his blanket up. He turned and went to bed.

I couldn’t sleep. I had too many things on my mind. What will the Eternal Archives show me? What is in this vial that is so important? Why is the bomb launching so soon? So many secrets that we have nobody to answer. 

The scientist said I would figure it out eventually. I hoped he was right, because I was dying for answers. My curious brain was exploding. Right now it was melting a hundred degrees, turning into a pile of goop. 

May finished talking to her grandparents. She opened the door and walked over.

“Hey,” she said, smiling.

I must’ve still had my sad face, because she asked, “What’s wrong?”

“I’m too tired but I can’t sleep.”

“I’ve had that problem before.” she comforted me. “You’ll pass out eventually.”

I exhaled. Then went sideways on the couch and pulled up my covers. 

“You don’t have to sleep.” she said as she went in her own couch. “I probably won’t sleep either. You can talk to me all night long.”

“It’s your nightmares, huh?”

She nodded. “Still haunts me.”

I thought about Pyro, and how he didn’t like that May hated him so much. 

“Pyro still thinks you don’t like him.” I told her.

“I’ll never like the Ants.”

“What about when we were ten?”

“What?”

“Oh, come on.” I said. “When I told you my dream of stopping the war. You didn’t believe in me, but you said you’d help. You said you wanted the war to stop too.”

“Because of what they did to my family,” she said. “That’s why I want the war to stop. But I still won’t ever forgive them. Forget it. I’m going to bed.” 

She turned and sniffled like she was going to cry. 

I guess she was right. The war took her parents. That’s why she wants it to stop. Not because she liked the Ants or the Alliance.

I guess we all have different reasons. Jake just didn’t care. He said he’d always liked the Ants, so that’s why he was helping us. And so he can have a chance to be what he’d always wanted: a spy.

But Jake wasn’t just helping us because of that. I was pretty sure. There was more reason in his decision. 

I stared at the vial in my hand. All the answers were in this. All the war would stop because of this. But why?

I figured worrying too much was a sign I needed some sleep. Especially because it was past midnight. I was glad Jake said lunchtime we would strike the generator, because I was so tired, I was fast asleep.

.  .  .


It wasn’t a dream. It was more like a memory. 

It was winter. I was escorting May to her grandparents’ house. We were only ten.

“It’s cold out here,” she told me. 

We were sitting on a log in the forest, the trees and floor covered heavily in deep snow. The cold bit at my nose and cheeks, but I knew I couldn’t stop because of that. 

“You can never change the cold,” I said. “That would literally be impossible.”

“But you know that stopping the war isn’t, right?” she said. “That’s why you’re doing it.”

I looked at her. “Of course! Don’t you want the war to stop? It’s terrible!”

“I know,” she said. “the Ants took my home. Probably tons of other kids like me too. I just hate to think of that.”

“Exactly.” I said. “I want to make peace again. I believe the Alliance can still be fixed. The Ants should be taught again how to be nice to us!”

“You want them to be friends with us again?” She shuddered.

“But… but you want the war to stop, right?”

“Yes,” she said. “I’m like you. What I’ve wanted my whole life.”

“Will you help me?”

“Of course! We’ll make a deal, Nixy. When we grow up, if you ever escape your dumb parents’ house again, we’ll work together on stopping the war.”

I frowned. “My parents aren’t dumb.”

“They’re dumb to me,” she said. “They’re also mean.”

“You just don’t know them fully,” I told her. “They’re not really meanies once you know them.”

“Ack!” she said. “I never want to meet them. I hope my grandparents aren’t mean.”

“They’re not,” I assured you. “They won’t be. Nobody will be mean to you again. Or hurt you. That’s part of the deal.”

“Good,” she said. I took her mitten covered hand. “It’s a deal, Nixy.”

We shook.














10: The Eternity Hall

I woke up with an aching stomach and a sense of guilt.

I didn’t feel like getting up. I didn’t feel like going to the Generator today. I was so tired I couldn’t even open my eyes. But I knew the bomb was launching soon. 

“Wake up, sleepyhead.” Pyro told me. “Breakfast is already past.” 

“What is it?” I mumbled.

“Club sandwiches. With bacon.”

“How?”

“The pre-cooked ones, dummy.”

I got up and put my socks on. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. 

“Here you go, Nix.” Jake said as he handed me a cold plate. “Breakfast in bed!”

“Thanks,” I mumbled. 

“So, we’re going to the Generator today?” he asked.

“Yeah, why?” I asked.

“I told my dad.”

May’s eyes widened. “But you can’t�"”

“I know, I know.” he assured her. “I can’t tell him we’re going to destroy it. Just telling him where I am. Don’t worry, he won’t stop us. Only when we blow it up then he will.”

“How are we going to blow it up?” I asked him.

“A bomb, of course!” 

“What?”

“Pssh, don’t tell me we don’t have two highly trained experts at explosives on this chopper.”

“How’re we going to get out in time?” Pyro asked.

“We’re going to take the chopper. My guards will pilot it close, we grab onto it, and we go! Simple plan.”

“What about the people?”  

He frowned. “Oh yeah.”

“We’ll take care of that,” I told him. “While you and Pyro set the bomb, I can go to the control room and turn on the evacuation alarm. We’ll give you the signal that everybody’s out, then you set it.”

“Pyro should go with you, Nix!” Jake said. “There’s obviously people in the control room. Pyro needs to knock em’ out, then drag em’ out of the building while you set off the alarm and I set off the bomb.”

“Are you sure you’ll make it out in time?” I asked. “How long does it take to blow up?”

“We can’t make it too long,” he said. “Or else they’ll deactivate it and think it’s a dud. There are people who are weapon experts there. They’re going to come in and find out what set off the alarm. Lock your control room door.”

“Let’s give you five minutes.” I told him.

“That’s too long.”

“Three.”

“Two.”

“Fine.”

“Okay!” he said. “So I have a map of the facility I studied last night. There’s only one way in and out where I’m going to set the bomb. The security people are going to block my path. Once Pyro drags the men from the control room out, he has to go back in and get me out.”

“Where are you setting the bomb?” May asked.

“Why, of course right next to the energy tank, sweetheart! 

That’s the only way you can cause the explosion! The glass is very thick.” he explained. 

“I hope this is worth it,” she muttered.

“It will be! If the generator is destroyed the military can’t make weapons anymore. That’s why the location is top secret.”

“We’ll walk there,” I said. “It’s not far, right? The chopper only comes when we need to get out. Let’s say, about five to ten minutes.”

Jake nodded. “Nix, I also have to deactivate the sustaining system.”

“What?”

“Of course the Generator has some backup measures! The sustaining system keeps it from exploding. The military set it so if criminals deactivate it�"because that’s the only way to make it explode�"then they’ll be alerted. Their reinforcements take like seconds to come here, I swear.”

“How long does it take to deactivate it?”

“Another minute! Once I do it we have to be quick.”

“We don’t have another minute.” May said. “Surely the security will get to us.”

“That’s where Nix becomes useful here.” Jake said. “He’s in the control room. I’ll tell him which doors to block and which to open.”

“Then how do I get in?” Pyro asked. “When I come to get you.”

“That’s the beauty. There’s a path I’ll show you that you can bust through and get me. Every wall is Ant proof in there, you know. But the ventilation system is not.”

“Wow,” I said. “We can’t be spies unless we go through the ventilation shaft, of course.”

“Yeah! It’s the only way.”

“Are you sure I can fit?” Pyro asked.

“All spies can fit through the ventilation shaft! Or else you’re not a spy!”

“Jake…”

“I’m kidding. You can. It’s pretty wide.”

“Where am I going?” May asked.

We all said simultaneously, “I dunno.”

“Wow,” she said. “You don’t give me a job.”

“Actually, there is something you can do!” Jake said. “Watch Nix’s brother!”

She rolled her eyes. “Fine then. I’ll be in the chopper. You guys have fun without me.”

“To be fair, it’s not really fun.” I told her. “We’re going to blow up a building. It’s dangerous.”

“So I’m not up to the task? Just because of your promise?”

I looked at Jake. “What can she do?”

He just shrugged.

“It’s fine,” she said, “I don’t want to go with you guys anyway.”

She walked inside the bathroom and slammed the door.

“Oh come on!” I called.

“Don’t mind her,” Pyro growled. “She wants to be like that, let her be.”

I felt a surge of anger. Nothing would get these two to get along.

“Remember what I told you,” I told him. “She’s lived a hard life.”

He just shrugged and laid back on the couch.

“So… we good?” Jake asked. 

“Yeah.” I sighed.

“Great! I’ll show you the map when we go, so we each know 

where to go.” With that he left for his room.

“Where’s Jack?” I suddenly realized.

“Jake let him sleep in his room,” Pyro explained. “He’s actually a nice human.”

“Shut up,” I said. “You’ll never understand.”

I sighed, left my unfinished breakfast on the floor, and curled up in my blanket. It was a cold morning. The trees swayed in the wind outside, their shadows coming upon us.

I realized then, Jake really was a nice human. He lent us his helicopter to borrow. He helped us back at the border facility. He helped me with my mission. He gave us a home to share, which was this chinook we were in. Jake called it a Horned Lizard. But the ones I saw in the sky yesterday were different. Those ones actually looked like choppers. They only had one propeller. My best guess is there were different kinds.

I remembered what we’d planned in May’s house. We’d go to the Infinity Chamber after the generator. That way, if the generator’s down, the military can’t power their weapons and their nukes to attack the Ants. Because that’s what this was. A full-on nuclear war. And if the Infinity Core is destroyed, the Ants can’t attack either. So then the war stops. 

And then, with my blue vial, I’ll give it to the military and they’ll know what to do with it. They’ll use it to restore the Alliance and then the world would go back to the same it was fifty years ago. 

That was the whole plan. But I didn’t know if it would work. I didn’t know if our efforts actually counted for something. We were going to find out at lunch when we blow up the generator.

And then we go to the Eternal Archives, which was very deep in Ant territory.

“Pyro, have you ever been to the Eternal Archives?”

“Yeah.”

I sat up. “Really!? What was it like?”

He hesitated. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

I frowned. “Of course you don’t. Do you at least know who built it?”

“No. Probably some famous Ant shmuck I don’t know about.”

“I don’t know what it will show me,” I admitted. 

“Just stick together,” he told me. “I’ll lead us. The best it will do is split us apart, then each do its effect on us.”

“What’s it like in there? Do you know?”

“People have different visions to it. I dunno. One thing I know is that there’s a legend all Ants know about it.”

I leaned in, feeling my curious brain at work. “What?”

“An Ant ventured into it once, and he stumbled across this place called the Eternity Hall.”

“What?”

“It was supposed to be impossible to find. But this Ant did it. And he came back out. We don’t know if he’s still got his mind or if he’s insane, but he came out mumbling something about the Eternity Hall. A secret part of the Eternal Archives the creator hid. It contains all the secrets of the universe, he told us. He said it was way beyond the teachings of the humans. The core of our hive Queen knew everything. She knew why there were laws of physics, why they were forces like gravity, stuff like that. Science and religion work together to explain how the universe was created, but the Queen knew why. Why we’re here.

“Whoa,” I said. “Tell me more.”

“Yes. They say she knew why we were here. Why we’re the only intelligent beings in the universe. She even knew what it meant to live. What is the meaning of life. What is our purpose in this universe. What other universes there are. Why there were dimensions. She even knew the exact date of our extinction, and the exact date of the death of the universe. Creepy, huh?”

I’ll admit, it freaked me out. Who knew that somebody on our earth knew the secrets of the universe? What was in that Eternity Hall that contained so much knowledge? 

“Thing is,” Pyro said, “it’s a legend. We don’t even know if it’s true. We don’t know if our Queen really knows all the knowledge of the universe. It’s our faith, though. We try to believe it. We now know that we have a purpose in this universe.”

Do I have a purpose?

I was as curious as ever. I wanted to find that Eternity Hall. It was my next dream. If it was true, and I found it, I would know everything. What is the purpose of life. What is life? What’s our role in this world?

“Interesting,” I told him. “It might be fake.”

“Yeah,” he agreed. “The guy was probably insane. The only other separate room in the Eternal Archives maze is the Infinity Chamber, where our Queen’s mass consciousness lets us all feed on it.” 

“Can’t you just… I dunno. Ask your Queen?”

He shook his head. “No, no, no. She lies in the centre of the Chamber. And I told you, no brave human or Ant is brave enough to navigate through those Archives. Nobody has ever found the Chamber. But we know it’s true because where else would our Queen’s mass consciousness be?”

“But… now I don’t want to do it anymore.”

“Do what?”

“Destroy the Chamber. We’ll kill your Queen. That’s not right.”

“Maybe you won’t kill her,” he assured me. “Just like the rest of us. That’s where the hive mind is. Only her mind. She won’t die.”

“But she’ll go crazy. Or forget everything… right?”

He shrugged. “Small price to pay if you want to stop the war.”

“I guess you’re right,” I said. “She won’t die. That makes me feel a whole lot better.”

He got up and walked over to the fridge. “I’m hungry.”

I laid back in my soft couch. My watch on the table said it as almost lunchtime. 

A while later Jake came out of his room carrying a big blue piece of paper, like a blueprint.

“Here guys!” he said as he laid it on the table and flattened it. “I found it. The giant map of all the rooms in the facility.”

I got up and walked over to him. Pyro came holding half of a turkey and cheese sandwich, chewing.

“There’s where you need to go, Nix.” He pointed a route from the back door of the building to the control room. It wasn’t far. “There’s at least three guys Pyro needs to knock out on the way there. Once you get in Nix, lock the door. Pyro will then come here…” he slid his finger, “once the alarm is set and all the people are out. Security guys will come, so Pyro will hide here until Nix shuts the metal doors here and here. Open this one here. The doors will buy us time. I disable the system and set the bomb, and it’s up to Pyro to climb in that shaft, grab me, and pull me up. Then we escape through the shaft. Nix calls in the announcement system that the bomb will explode in thirty seconds, and that will give enough time for the security people to get out. Then we go to the helicopter and climb aboard. Then, kaboom! Nobody gets hurt and we destroy the generator cleanly.”

“Good,” I said. “Let’s eat lunch.”

We sat around the table. May came out of the bathroom. I told her she can come with me to help with the control room. 

“Nah, it’s okay.” she told me. “I can stay here. I’ll keep an eye on things and help you guys up when you need your quick escape.”

Simple sandwiches for lunch. After that, Jake set up our gear.

“This’ll be fun,” he said. “I’ve always wanted to blow things up. It was my hobby as a child.”

We suited and geared up. The guards finished with the bomb. Jake took it eagerly in his hands. 

“Whoa! What a weapon this is here!” he said. It looked like a regular explosive from the materials we bought at the store. Wires running over a green dynamite case. A timer clock was set at the front. I didn’t know that you could make a bomb from materials at the grocery store. 

“Looks dangerous,” I said. 

“It will be enough,” Jake replied. “I’ll carry it. Nix, remember that alarm. I need everybody out so I can get in unnoticed.”

“Yes, Jake.” I said. “We all know the plan.”

Jake turned to his guards. “Can you guys pilot the chopper there?”

One of them nodded. “Near the generator?”

“Yes,” Jake replied. “Drop us off there.”

They walked into the cockpit. 

“Get ready,” he said as the chopper began to take flight. 

May walked over to me. “Stay safe,” she said, then hugged me.

“I will,” I promised her, as Pyro slid open the door.

We soared over the lime green forest, the engines humming and the propellers whipping the wind around us. The three of us stood at the door holding the bar above us to keep ourselves steady, watching through the open door as we neared the generator. 

“First mission that will make a difference.” Jake told us. “Ready?”

Pyro and I nodded. We let go of the bar, ready to jump. 

“Here we go!”




















11: The Generator

Pyro and I split up with Jake as we approached. 

“I’ll be okay,” he said. “Just give me the signal. Don’t worry, nobody will find me.”

Pyro and I walked to the back of the facility, where a fence read high voltage and keep out! 

“What are we going to do?” I asked him. 

He peered through a hole in the fence with one eye. Then he sucked in his breath, and fired a puff of smoke and fire at a nearby generator behind the fence. It sparked with electricity, then a shower of sparks sprayed everywhere. It was left steaming. He had cut the power to the fence.

“Easy,” he said as he grabbed the fence with two hands, and ripped outward. We went through.

We found the back door of the facility. Nobody was there, and it was locked.

Pyro punched the lock once, and it snapped open. 

“You’ve definitely went to some spy school.” I told him.

“Nope,” he denied. “Maybe.”

He busted the metal door open and we went through. We came across a hallway with dirty concrete floors and walls, as well as blinking lights.

“It smells here. Don’t they have janitors?” Pyro said as we trudged on carefully, looking around for anybody.

We heard two workers talking around the corner. We flattened ourselves to the wall and listened.

“They’re not paying us enough,” number one said. “Espe-cially for a job this dangerous. And it’s even for the military!” 

“Yeah,” number two said. “What do they need this for, anyway? The energy tank is loaded up. Boss said we still have to keep it at bay. Doesn’t the military know the Ants know about this place? They attacked it last night! I better resign before they come. I don’t want their filthy disease on me or my family.”

“I know right? Too bad the Ants have their own generator, and we don’t know where it is.”

I looked at Pyro, giving him a look of, They do?

Pyro acted quick. He went around the corner and knocked them both out with a single punch before they could register what hit them.

We dragged them out of the building, far enough that we were in the forest. We set them beside a tree.

I wiped sweat from my forehead. “Phew. Two down, and I don’t even feel any remorse. A bajillion more to go.”

“The alarm will take care of most of them,” Pyro said, walking back towards the building.

“You’re not even tired?” I asked, following him.

“No. What do you expect? I’m an Ant.”

We carefully knocked out every other person in our path and dragged them next to the two first men we encountered. 

One of Pyro’s punches was so hard, blood seeped out of his forehead.

“Easy, man.” I told him as we dragged him out. “Sure he’s not dead?”

He shrugged. “He’s probably not.”

Soon we had a clear path to the control room. I called in Jake. 

“We’re here,” I told him. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” he said through the com. “Almost got caught. I had 

to roll out of the way behind another cart before he noticed. I feel so much like a spy.”

I smiled. “You’re life will never be boring anymore, Jake. Hang in there.”

Once we got to the control room, Pyro and I split and I locked the door. It was high up in the air, and I had a whole view of the entire facility below through a window. Workers were on control pads or were talking; everyone was busy. I went to the controls. It sure looked confusing, with tons of different buttons. 

“Uh…” I tried them experimentally. “What do I do here?”

“There’s a screen of a bird’s eye view of the whole facility, right?” Jake told me.

“Yeah,” I said, finding it.

“Stay there. Tap each door to close or open it. But first you have to set off the emergency alarm.”

That was easy. There was a small lever on the wall to my left with a sign that said Warning! Only use for emergencies! I guess this was one. I grabbed it and pulled it down.

The alarms wailed through the entire facility. Through the window of the control room I saw the people go crazy. Scientists in lab coats and goggles and workers in resistant suits rushing around, dropping everything and filing out the door. Red twin lights flashed around in circles. 

“Perfect,” Jake said. “I’m going in.”

I couldn’t see the generator from my view through. It must’ve been in another part of the facility.

I waited for a minute, then Jake said, “I’m in. Lock all the doors leading to sector A-5.”

I found it on the map and touched each door. Jake was secure now.

I heard a crackle in my com. It was Pyro. “I’m climbing up the shaft now�"wait, uh-oh.”

“What?” I said in my com.

“They’re already here! There’s no door blocking them from the room I’m in! It’s an open doorway!”

“Hang on, Pyro.” I told him. I looked for his room. He was right�"there were no doors there. So I closed the door in the next room.

“Did I block them?” I said, getting anxious. 

There was silence for a moment. Then a yell.

“They’ve got me, guys! They’re trying to restrain me… at least they haven’t found my com… argh!”

“No, no!” I said. “I’ll get you out, Pyro!”

“I might be able to take them,” he said, but his voice was pained. “Jake, hurry with the bomb!”

“I’m deactivating the sustaining system, remember?” Jake said in his com. “Another thirty seconds. Nix, do what you can!”

“Pyro, get into the shaft,” I said. “You have to. You can’t take them.”

I heard a scream go off in his com, and I thought I heard someone thrown across the room, and hitting his back on a gas tank as it exploded and steamed the gas around the room.

“I’ll be fine Nix, but I won’t have enough time.” he said. 

“No,” I said, getting nervous. “You have to get Jake!”

“I’m almost done!” Jake said. “Hurry, Pyro!

“I’m… trying.” I heard flames crackle in his com. Whatever was happening in there, there was a big commotion going on. “More are coming soon! I don’t know if I can hold them off!”

“He’s right, Nix.” Jake told me. “They’re coming my way, too. We’re running out of time.”

“I can’t do anything guys.” I held back a sob. I felt so useless. “You can do it, Pyro. You’re an Ant.”

“Nix! You can close every door in the facility. Try to trap the reinforcements.”

I did as he asked, tapping every door I could find. “How are they going through your doors?”

“They’re the security,” Jake said. “Of course they can. Like, use a smelter to cut a hole through the door.”

“You didn’t TELL US?!” I screamed in the com.

“Nix, I’m sorry. Just, Pyro, hang in there. Keep them at bay.”

“I’m facing like five of them at once, with tasers.” he growled through the com. “Hurry!”

“I am!” Jake yelled. “Done! The military know now. We have one hundred fifty seconds before the bomb detonates!”

“Jake, you dummy.” I said. “You’re going to get us all killed! I told you we had to give it more time!”

He chuckled through the com. “I know, Nix. Sorry again. Pyro, you have to get out of there. Forget the shaft.”

I was filled with surprise. “What?!”

Suddenly I heard a bang on the door behind me. I jolted back. It was getting louder and louder, and I heard people yelling at me behind it.

“Guys, the security found me!”

“Pyro, get out of there!” Jake said. “Get Nix out of here!”

A dreadful realization fell over me by what he meant by that. “Jake, no…”

“There’s not much time left.” he said. “Pyro, you clear?”

“Done,” he said, and all the commotion in his room stopped, as the last man’s scream died off. “But Jake�"”

“Forget the shaft!” he yelled in the com. “We’ll have to compromise. The only way out for me is the door now. And 

that’s blocked by, like, a hundred security reinforcements.”

“Jake,” I said, “don’t you dare�"”

“I have to! It’s the only way. Get out of here, guys!”

I couldn’t believe my ears. “No, Jake. Follow the plan. We probably have thirty seconds left. Pyro will get to the shaft.”

“Pyro, no!” he said. “Don’t listen to him! There’s not enough time to get through that shaft. If you go, you die.”

“No!” I cried, my eyes getting watery. “I’m not going to let him out until he does it!”

I heard Pyro banging with all his strength against the blocked door through the com. “Do it, Nix.” he growled. “It’s my only way out. Jake said�"”

“I don’t care what Jake SAID!” I yelled. “I’m not going to open that door until you get him out of there!”

Pyro started ramming his shoulder into it. “Do it, Nix! Or else we’ll both die!”

My eyes filled with tears. “No. Get in the shaft, Pyro! You have time!”

“I don’t,” he said sadly. 

“Nix, I’ve already set the bomb.” Jake said.

The banging on the door was louder than ever. 

“Pyro will get you out. Open his door.”

“I won’t,” I said. “Not until you get out of there.”

“I’m not going to, Nix.”

I trembled. Pyro didn’t have enough time to get Jake out, just because he was slowed by the security. Reinforcements were coming. The military knew we were here. We were out of time.

“Nix, don’t let me die thinking it’s your fault.” Jake said. “It was my mistake. Not Pyro’s. Not yours. I made my choice.”

I wiped my eyes. “I’m not letting yo die, Jake.”

“I’m out of time!” he said. “Tell…” his voice faltered. “Tell my dad, I died trying to stop the war. Convince him that it has to stop. It’s nonsense. It’s ruthless. Tell him… it wasn’t the Ants’ fault.”

There it was again. Jake knew. He never told us all this time, but he knew. I should’ve known. He was the General’s son.

“Pyro…” he said. “It’s… it’s up to you to clear your race’s name. What we did to your race…” his voice trembled again. “It’s terrible. Horrible. I don’t want anything like it to happen again. I’m sorry, Pyro. I’m sorry. I’ve always loved the Ants, because we hated them for no reason. I think you know what I mean. I’m done hiding the secret from you. I’m sorry.”

Pyro was silent.

“Clear your race’s name, Pyro.” he said. “The war… it’s not your race’s fault. Humanity should know that.”

The com crackled.

“Nix.” I heard sparks fly around him, the generator trembling as it was ready to blow any second. “Nix… I knew you were somebody special. You will stop the war. I just know it. Everybody believes in you. Don’t think that’s not true. The scientist counts on you. Your parents count on you. I count on you.” He paused. “I know they succeeded in making the bomb. The tanks here are filled with barely any liquid, so I know they’ve already used the energy its power. Stop them. Destroy the Chamber. Save our Alliance. Get to the chopper. The Phryno’s not mine anymore. It’s the group’s.”

Tears fell freely. 

“Don’t make my sacrifice count for nothing,” he said. “Boy, if you do�"”

“I won’t!” I finally said. “You’re a hero, Jake. You’ll die a hero.”

“I know, Nix, and I don’t care anyway. Stop the nuke. Tell May… I’m sorry. For her parents and everything. I never told her myself. And tell my dad… that what he’s doing… it’s not right. It’s not what I wanted. His son.”

It was all down to me. 

I opened Pyro’s door. 

In seconds he knocked out the people behind my door. He busted through it.

I made a last moment call through the announcement system. “The facility will blow in seconds. Get out!”

I hoped that was enough time for the security. Pyro and I raced out the door, then for the door out of the facility.

“I’m sorry for my race’s mistakes, Pyro.” he said as we were running. “We were reckless. And I’m sorry I’m not there to fix it. Make my death count. Repair the Alliance.”

And with that, Pyro and I jumped for the nearest hill, and I heard a high-pitch sound before the facility exploded behind us as we rolled for cover. 

“NO!” I yelled. 

Flames rose up in the air sky-high. They billowed in smoke and went in every direction. The facility was shredded to bits, the shockwave blasting outwards and bending the trees backwards. We were knocked off the ground and landed on our backs. 

My anger exploded. I needed someone to unleash it on.

“YOU!” I yelled at Pyro as we both got up.

“He told me to!” he pleaded. “We had no choice!”

“You didn’t get him out in time!” I yelled, then pushed him. But I might as well have pushed a stone statue on its pedestal. 

“THIS IS YOUR FAULT!” I yelled.

“Oh, really!?” he yelled back. “You didn’t close the door in 

time! You’re the one who LET THEM GET ME!”

He shoved me hard. I fell backwards.

“His death was YOUR FAULT!” I yelled. “You should’ve got him out!”

“Says the one who didn’t give me ENOUGH TIME!” he yelled back. 

“How was I supposed to know I had to close that door to stop them, huh?”

“You should’ve! His death is your fault!”

I cried on the ground. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. I should’ve closed that door earlier, so that he would be secure and he could get Jake out. Instead I let the security have enough time to get to him.

“I’m sorry,” I sobbed, choking on tears. “For blaming it on you. It’s my fault.”

“He said it’s nobody’s fault,” he said. “His mistake. We shouldn’t be mourning for him.”

I sucked in a deep breath. “I knew something would go wrong. And this is just our first mission. We shouldn’t have went.”

We were silent.

“I’m a terrible person,” I said. “Jake wasn’t. He saved us from being caught at the borders. He gave us a home.”

“You’re not terrible,” he told me. “Let’s just get back to the chopper.”

As if on cue, the security were coming around the corner, yelling and looking for us.

“Go!” Pyro pulled me up and we ran through the forest.

“May, take flight now!” I yelled in the com.

“Roger that,” she replied. 

The chinook appeared from the sky, blowing the tree leaves 

around as it descended. The door was open, and one of Jake’s guards was there, along with May. We grabbed onto the railing and heaved ourselves up. May and my brother helped us. 

Once we were in I stumbled to the floor. The bodyguard slammed the sliding door shut, just as I heard bullets fire upon it. A second ago we would’ve been all dead. 

May cringed at that. “Where’s Jake?”

We didn’t answer.

“I… I need to sit.” I said. May helped me walk over to the couch and I slumped on it, exhausted.

“What happened?” she asked as she got me a juice box. 

I felt my eyes watering again.

“Oh.” 

“It’s better to let him be for a while,” Pyro said. “He thinks it’s his fault.”

“What happened?” she asked worriedly. 

Pyro sighed. He told her the whole story.

“Oh, Nix.” she said. “I’m sorry.”

I was broken. The team was broken. I’d promised myself that after we completed our mission and stopped the war, we would all come out alive. I was wrong.

Jake was my friend. I was the one who owed him. I felt like he was the true leader of this team, even though everybody thinks I am. We were always depending on him for a plan.

He was always the happy one in the group. He cheered us up. He was always confident. He gave us a home, and a team name. A family.

But now he’s gone. Forever. And I’d never forgive myself ever again.














Extinction Is Near





12: The Ants

June 6-55


We only had two days left before they were going to launch the nuke that would end all Ants. 

We had told Jake’s bodyguards he had sacrificed himself during the mission. They blamed each other for his death. 

“I knew we should’ve went with him,” one of them said. “General’s orders: Follow whatever he says and protect him at all costs.”

“We chose the first rule,” the other said. “We shouldn’t have. We told him we had to go wherever he went, but he didn’t listen. We figured we had to follow his orders of us staying behind, because that was the first rule.”

“We’re sorry lad,” the first said. “We did a horrible job protecting him. Our duty now is to return to headquarters. But since we owe the kid, we’re going to drive you guys wherever you want.”

“Thank you,” I had said. 

Overnight we had rode the helicopter over the Atlantic Ocean. Or, what we called it. The Ants called it their own name. And it’s been so long, I didn’t even know if it was called the Atlantic anymore. 

I didn’t know how we would get there unseen, but the bodyguards managed it. Apparently Jake’s Horned Lizard had a cloaking system. 

I gazed off into the boundless skyline as we soared overhead 

trees and hills dotted with small towns.

The moment we took off I hadn’t taken my eyes off the vial of the cordyceps cure the scientist had given me. Staring at it now, my eyes started to hurt.

“Not your fault,” Pyro reminded me for the millionth time.

I sighed. “That’s not all what’s bothering me. Do you know what he said to you? About what we did to your race?”

He shook his head. “I’m sure he meant we would find out.”

“He said we hated your race for no reason,” I told him. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I dunno. Maybe he thought I would know because I’m an Ant.”

“He’s been keeping it from us all along,” I said. “But what is he keeping from us?”

Looking down below, I saw the towns and farmland of the Ants. Looking at it now, they looked like such a peaceful race. Why would they attack us? Why would they ever? What was the purpose? 

I wished the Eternal Archives would show me. This war had a meaning. It wasn’t because of barbarian thinking. I’ve been told several times the Ants were too smart for that. They wouldn’t break our Alliance unless it was for a reason.

Tell him… it wasn’t the Ants’ fault, he had said. 

“We have to get this to the General,” I told him. But inside, all I really wanted was to do what Jake said. Tell his dad whatever he meant. Because I sure didn’t know.

“After the Archives.” He looked down below at the Ants peacefully minding their daily lives. “I don’t like being here.”

“Because they think you’re a traitor,” I guessed. “So now you’ll have to cover your face even in your home continent.”

“Probably not,” he said. “People in this rural part of the continent don’t know me. They’ll think I’m one of them, trust me. You’ll be the ones having to cover up.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Which sucks.”

“You do know we have to land somewhere here, right? The Eternal Archives is at the heart of the city. And the city has a perimeter wall that is almost impassable. They’ll blast us out of the sky like it’s no big deal. We have to get there on foot. Through the city. On foot.”

He said the words again like he was warning us. 

“We can do it.” May encouraged us, coming from the table. “We have to. Everybody’s counting on us.” 

“That’s not all,” Pyro said. “Of course the Eternal Archives has a defence system. Only Ants can enter. The only way to disable it is going to the facility not far from the Archives. We have to hack into the system and shut it down.”

“Jake would know how to do that,” May muttered.

“Doesn’t your race have a reverse deception device or something?” I asked.

“No, why would we?” he said. “That’s the stupidest way to get us all killed.”

“Destroying it won’t kill you, Pyro.” I said.

“Our whole race will share the pain though. But, before you guys worry about me, I’ll be fine. I can take it. But then I’ll be out of commission for maybe hours. If I’m lucky maybe one.”

“We have to stay in there for an hour?” May said. “No way!”

“We have to,” I said. “We’ll stay in one spot until he wakes up. Then he leads us back out. Simple.”

“First things first,” he said. “You guys need equipment to raid their facility operating the Archive defences. Unless you want to fight Ants with your bare hands. I know a place where I 

can get the stuff. I’ll get more food while I’m at it.”

“But�"”

“They don’t know me here, Nix,” he said. “I’m sure. This is too far away from where I live. I’ll be fine. If you want, I’ll even wear those big, fancy sunglasses�"”

“It’s okay,” I said. “I trust you.”

“Good. We’ll plan the raid after. For now, it’s going to be a long walk through the city. That’s when I come back. We’ll have to leave the chopper.”

“But…” I thought about Jack. “What about�"”

“Jack’ll be fine,” May told me. “We’ll come back here. Hopefully before midnight. If going through the city is as long as Pyro says, then also hacking the facility, we’ll come back here to rest. Then we plan our route to the Archives and do that tomorrow. Agreed?” 

Pyro and I nodded. 

“I’ll leave soon to get our supplies,” Pyro said. “Does anybody know how to fight Ants?”

May and I stared at him like he was kidding.

“The facility is crawling with them all over the place!” he said. “The only way is brute force. Maybe I’ll teach you�"”

He caught my eye. “I mean… teach you what I know. I don’t know how to fight either.”

“Doesn’t seem like it,” I said, smirking.

“I didn’t go to a military school,” Pyro told me.

Suddenly something beeped in his pocket. Something that sounded suspiciously like a phone call.

May and I exchanged uneasy glances. Pyro didn’t have a phone. 

“Excuse me, guys.” he walked into the bathroom. 

“Who could that be?” May asked me. “I thought his parents 

were dead. Everybody he knew thought he was a�"”

“I dunno,” I said. “Just leave him be.”

May leaned back on the couch, watching outside as our chopper continued wading through the Ants’ lands unseen. I didn’t know how close we were to the city yet, but I got a feeling we were still pretty far.

“I know what the Archives will show me,” she said. “My parents. It’ll tell me they’re still alive, and I’ll go searching for them instead of helping you guys. I’m screwed if I go in there.”

I curled the vial of importance around my fingers. “I know you’re scared, May. Ever since what happened to�"to�"” I couldn’t bring myself to say it.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to worry about me. You always do. Really, I forgive you. And that promise, I don’t even know if it counts anymore. I’m on the most dangerous mission of my life. I don’t think I’ll ever be safe again.”

I thought about that. My parents wouldn’t like it if they found out I was in the dead centre of the Ant continent.

“Everything’s my fault,” I said. “Bringing you. Jake. This mission. It was all a bad idea. I didn’t know how hard it would be to try and make the two races friends again.”

“It doesn’t matter if it’s going to be hard,” she said. “We’re going to pull through. And I want to be on this helicopter. With my family. It… it feels right. And I made that deal two years ago, didn’t I?”

“I guess. I just… I don’t want anything like that to happen to any of you guys.”

I thought about Jack. I had never been worried that he might get hurt. I always forced him to stay in here. But what happened to Jake… it had affected Jack the most. He had cried on my sleeve, and told me how wonderful a friend Jake was. How good he was at video games. Now he was still asleep, in Jake’s room.

If Pyro was right about the Eternity Hall existing, it would have the answer to where souls of the dead go. Or do souls even exist? Maybe it would tell me where they were, and I could go there and find Jake. Ask him what he meant with his last words. 

“How did you meet that guy?” May asked, looking at the bathroom door. 

“Near my dumpster. Gave him a friend to count on. I brought him to the borders, but he wouldn’t go. He said his race hated him. He never wanted to go back there again, yet here we are. That’s also where we met… where we met Jake. And after I offered him a home. With family. I just never knew it would be in a dirty hole like this.”

She laughed. Her amber eyes glinted in the sunlight, and for once, it made me smile.

“He wouldn’t like that,” she said.

“Oh yeah? The guy with the always-perfect hair? The guy with the thinks-he’s-funny-and-cool-but-not personality? The guy who, no matter what, thinks he’s the coolest spy in the world?”

May laughed some more. “We miss him, don’t we?”

“Yeah,” I exhaled.

“His dad still wouldn’t be proud of him,” she said. “We have to convince him to stop the war. It’s not what Jake wanted.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Within two days before the bomb fires.”

She sat up. “What? How do you know that? We have to get the cure to the military, now!”

I just realized I revealed classified information. “No, not yet. We don’t know why we’re giving it to the military. For all we know, we should give it to the Ants. And, maybe it could be some sort of poison or something. We’ll do the Archives first.”

She glared at me. “That scientist had a true heart, Nix. He wouldn’t give the military poison.” 

“Oh, I meant�"” I didn’t mean to offend him. “We don’t know what it means when we give it to the military�"”

“We’re not giving it to the Ants,” she said cruelly. “No way. They don’t deserve research like that�"”

“Just because of six years ago?” I said, the rage inside me boiling. “Not this again! We’re healing the Alliance for goodness sake! Don’t give me that baloney! People like Pyro deserve this!”

“Only Pyro!” she said. “The rest are all heartless, killing jerks�"”

“This war is not their fault!” I said. “I know it. There are people in the military who knows the truth. The scientist even told us. The Queen is not dumb enough to attack us for no reason! Maybe it was a mistake, okay? Maybe this whole thing is one big mistake! We should treat and respect them as we do to our race! That’s the real way to heal the Alliance! Not this stupid, useless vial! You want to give it to the military? Here!” I slammed it on the nightstand beside me. “Take it! They’re just going to use it on themselves anyway! Then they’re going to leave the Ants to rot with the cordyceps because we’re the heartless killing jerks!”

I felt my eyes water. “Jake understood. He respected the Ants. You should too! He knew that this whole thing was one big mistake. He knew the Ants weren’t heartless. I don’t know why they would do a horrible thing such as kill your parents, okay?”

She started crying. “You… you had to bring that up again.”

I calmed down. “May, I’m sorry…”

“No,” she said, going under her covers. “Go away! Get away from me!”

My anger heated up again. “You’re not the only one who lost their loved ones to the other race, May! Think about that! We’re here to repair the Alliance. If you only care about the humans, then maybe you should leave this home!”

“Stop!” she cried. “Stop it!”

I stood up. “I don’t care if you think I’m a traitor to my race. Because I’m not. I want this war to stop as much as you, but you’re not helping!”

She got off the couch with puffy eyes from crying, and stormed off to Jake’s room, where my brother was sleeping. She slammed the door so hard I felt like it shook the whole chopper.

I didn't care anymore. Not one bit.

Pyro came out right after. “What was that all about?”

“Nothing,” I said. 

“Way to make her mad, huh?”

“None of your business.”

“Oh…kay then.” He walked over to the fridge, but didn’t get anything. Just inspected how much food we had.

“Looks like we’ll need more sandwich materials,” he said. “Can’t wait to go to the store. I’m hungry.”

“You’re always hungry.”

“I’ve got to keep on a full stomach, ya know? My strength doesn’t just come from nowhere.” He grabbed a milk carton and shook it above his mouth, but only two drops fell. “Huh, we’re out of my favourite drink.”

“Who was that back there?” I asked him. 

He hesitated as if thinking about it. “Huh. Don’t really 

remember, but he said he was a doctor that was calling for a next appointment or something. Apparently he didn’t know my parents died from the war and I was alone.”

“Had to break it to him, huh?”

“I never, ever want to talk about it. So I lied.” he said.

I paused. “You have to know what Jake was telling you. Come on.”

He shook his head. “I have no idea.”

I sighed and grabbed the remote controller, switching it on to the News. 

Of course, I turned it on at the absolute worst time. The reporter was holding a camera at a tall man with grey hair and a grey moustache, wearing a military uniform with multiple badges on the right side. I saw him on TV a couple of times, so I knew who he was.

“I know what you did, Phoenix Hyper.” he growled at the camera, pictures snapping at him like crazy. “I know you led my son in there. I will hunt you down, if it’s the last thing I�"”

I shut it off quickly. “Well, that’s a shocker. Jake’s dad knows it’s my fault for killing his son.”

“It’s not your fault,” Pyro reminded again. “When you stop the war, it’ll be him thanking you.”

“But now I’m not welcomed back, am I?” I said. “I really have to stop the war.”

“We’ll do it,” he encouraged. 

“But�"” I sudden realization swept over me. “My parents! They’re going to find them and interrogate them!”

“I’m sure it’s fine,” he said. “I don’t know how he found out about you, but he didn’t find out you’re traveling with an Ant… I think. He won’t find your parents either, I’m sure of it.”

I relaxed a little. “Okay. I just don’t like sitting here all day

 and feeling so useless.”

“You won’t be. This day won’t be boring either. I’ll get you thick clothes to cover yourself up in the city. You’re going to be milling around with millions of Ants.”

I groaned. “May’s never going to do that.”

“She has to,” he said. “We’re all set. We just have to get there.”

“How much longer?”

“I dunno. Less than an hour? You guys have to park on the outskirts of the city, where in the trees you’ll be hidden. I’ll take maybe an hour to get in and out full of supplies. Then, we waste no time and we go in there and smash that facility. Then tomorrow we go to the Archives.”

“We’re walking through a city with millions of Ants.” I said. “Jake would’ve thought he was a real spy, if he were here.”

“Yeah, I know.” he said. “Because he’s not a real spy, right?”

I chuckled. “I’m not sure if I want to give the cure to his dad anymore, even though he said so.”

“Nix, if you stop the bomb,” he said, “we’ll be fine.”

“But the disease is still out there. And I know his dad is not going to share it with the Ants.”

“The scientist said if you got it to the military, then they’d know what to do with it.” he said. “You should just trust him.”

“Yeah… okay. I guess it could be a gift to them to help repair the Alliance. Maybe that’s what he meant.”

Pyro looked at me funny. “Yeah… sure. That’s probably what he meant.”

“Do you think…” I began, “that our races can ever be friends again? When I see what the two have done to each other, I think… I sometimes think we can’t heal the Alliance anymore.”

“The Alliance can always be fixed,” he said. “We just have to figure out how.”

“If we stop fighting, that’s how.” I told him. “That’s why we have to stop the war.”

He looked at the door to Jake’s room. “Why is she so mad at us?”

“It’s not your fault, don’t worry.” I said. “She doesn’t resent you. Only your race. She doesn’t want the Ants to have the cure.”

“Well, that’s selfish.” he said. “Doesn’t she know how to share?”

“Her opinion doesn’t matter,” I told him. “We’re giving it to the Ants.”

“The military,” he said. “Jake’s dad. Trust me Nix, he’ll know very much what to do with it. Give it to him.”

“Then you do it.” I grabbed it off the table and handed it to him. “I’m not up to the task. I don’t care what the scientist says anymore. I just don’t see its importance. I don’t know if giving it to the military will fix anything. But I’ll stop the bomb, don’t worry. I promised I would.”

He let out a deep breath. “You’re not good at keeping promises.”

“Not this time.”

“I believe you will, Nix.” he said. “We all do. The scientist said you had a gift. Jake said you were special, and it’s not because you can see Ants beneath their disguise. Your gift is forgiveness. No matter what the Ants do to you, even if they take your family, you still see that hope in a chance that you can still heal the Alliance. You are the only person on this planet that never gives up in that, too. And that’s why we believe in you. You’re our leader, Nix. We look up to you.”

I didn’t feel any more heroic when he said that. I wasn’t sure if I would still love the Ants if they did something terrible to me. I only wanted to help them because I couldn’t stand the thought of dreadful extinction. Killing a whole race with one bomb that you have the cure to, it really did seem heartless. It looked minuscule to what the Ants did�"attack us first.

And Pyro was a tiny bit right. If I gave the cure to the Ants, and told them about the bomb, that wouldn’t help with the war. They’d figure out how to avoid the bomb and they’ll survive. Then the war will continue like it has always been.

But killing them all wasn’t the right way to end the war. It wouldn’t help with the Alliance either. 

“Watch, Nix.” he told me. “That’s what the Archives will show you. It has all the information we know of both our races, and it probably knows all about you too. It’s going to show you your gift. You have to resist the urge.”

“You’ve been in the Archives,” I said. “What’s it look like in there? Can you please tell me?”

“I don’t remember what I saw,” he said. “But other people have different seeings, because it’s very confusing with its visions. But what I do know is that the most reported sights of what it looks like is probably its true form.”

“So, what’s it like?”

“Huge hallways, reflective marble floors covered with thin, golden decorated carpets, streams of sky blue light racing from the bottom to the ceiling like wires. Something like that. They say at the end of the halls are huge beams of light that shines infinitely, from the floor to the ceiling. Sometimes they’ll be colossal chambers so deep, you can’t see the bottom. There will be blue light bridges extending from one end to the other, and it’s so dark, only the bridge’s soft glow can lead you. At least, that’s what the Infinity Chamber looks like. There will be a light bridge extending into the centre platform of the chamber, and there will be a huge blue sphere. That’s what the core looks like. And the core is suspended in a beam of vertical light from the bottom of the pit to the top.”

“All of this are the reports from the people who went in there?”

He shrugged. “Yeah. I guess we’ll find out ourselves.”

“How does it persuade you to stop what you’re doing?”

“The whole time, there will be whispers in your head. You can’t get them out. The more you stay, the more insane you’ll be driven. That’s why we have to act fast.”

“But we’ll take at least an hour.”

“That’s why I think it’s a bad idea!” he said. “But I’m not forcing you not to do it. We have to if we want the Ants to stop fighting.”

“Yeah,” I said. “We already destroyed our generator. If the attacks keep happening, we’ll be defenceless soon.”

“Perfect for the Ants,” he muttered. “Let’s hope they don’t know our power supply for weapons is down yet.”

“About that… we heard those guys at the facility say that the Ants have their own generator.”

“Don’t worry about it,” he said. “We won’t be able to find it anyway. We have to destroy the core.”

I went silent.

“I’m going to be fine, Nix.” he said. “Stop worrying. We’ll destroy it, together.”

“If we can find it,” I muttered.

“Let’s practice.” He grabbed a banana from the bowl of fruits on the table. “Pretend this is Jack.”

“Are you insulting him?” I said, smiling.

He shook his head. “This is serious.”

He opened the door of the chinook. It slid open, revealing a blue sky and white, puffy clouds. Harsh winds blew past, but Pyro kept his stance steady. He threw the banana out the door, then closed it.

I stared at him. “Am I supposed to be sad, now?”

“If only if it were really him,” he said. 

“Pyro, I think I can handle the Archives.” I said. “Because I can refuse anything. And I passed your ridiculous test.”

He laughed. “You can’t resist everything. What if it whispers the direction of the Eternity Hall?”

That got my attention. “Well, you can’t possibly resist the secrets of the�"”

“There!” Pyro said. “You’ll follow it, and it will get you more lost. Of course it wouldn’t lead you there. That’s supposed to be impossible to find! Only the creator can navigate perfectly there. Or the Queen. But the Queen knows everything already.”

“How big is this thing?” I asked. “If you can get lost so easily, how can the city fit it?”

“I thought you knew already,” he said. “It’s in space.”

My jaw dropped.

“Most of the stuff we build are in the space stations.” he said. “The one we’ll be going to in the city is the portal there.”

“But…”

“Yes, we’ll live. Some rooms of the Archives has glass domes above us, with golden pillars supporting it. There you can see the black emptiness of space and our planet.”

“So, what is it? A giant sphere, a giant cube, a spiderweb network of�"”

“It’s on the moon.”

“What?”

“Yeah. The creator built the Archives all around the moon. There’s not one spot left that is uncovered. It looks like a giant mechanical ball of metal now. If you see it in space.”

“But, that’s not right. The moon is natural. The moon is�"”

“My race got the idea that if they built something on your race’s first footsteps on the moon, it would crush your sense of pride or something. Like it’s rude to do it.”

“So… they built it after the war? They built it in six years?”

“No, the Archives was here at the very start of Ant civilization.”

“Oh,” I said. “They took our moon before we became enemies. Brilliant. Well then, what about the portals? The whispers of the Archives? The knowledge of the universe? What is it, magic? Technology?”

“I truly have no idea,” he said. “More like celestial power. I don’t know if some divine god is helping them or what. Best guess is my race got so smart they helped the Queen find the knowledge. Somehow. I know, it’s kind of impossible. And freaky.”

“I’d love to go there,” I really meant it. “Wonder why my race hasn’t done that yet. You have no idea how curious I am.”

“Curious enough to trade your family for it?”

Dumbfounded. “Maybe not…”

“Aha!” he said. “You’re unsure. Think about that when you go in, Nix. Refuse anything it offers you. One mistake, you’ll get a chain reaction of tricks until you wander your way out or stay there for eternity insane. Nothing will fix you anymore.”

“Wow, thanks for the rush of confidence.”

“I’m serious, Nix. You don’t want to lose the will to stop the war, do you?”

I shook my head. “Of course not.”

“I shouldn’t have told you about the Eternity Hall,” he said. “It’s going to lead you to your doom.”

“But it’s going to tell me anyway,” I said. “It knows my weakness.”

“That’s why you have to learn how to refuse. Or else be careful…”

“Are you sure you can resist?”

“I’ve got nothing to lose,” he said. “And I want nothing either. You know what? I’ll just hold you and May with one hand each. Then if you try to get out of my grasp, you can’t.”

“Just because you can carry fifty times of yourself.” I sighed. “Well, it is a good idea.”

“So you guys won’t go cuckoo�"”

“Let’s talk about something else,” I said. “I don’t want to think of myself as a crazy person.”

The door of Jake’s room opened. My brother stood at the doorway, rubbing one of his half-closed eyes. He was still in pyjamas and his dirty beige hair was like an explosion. 

“Nix!” He ran up to me and hugged me.

“You’re awake,” I said. “Did May kick you out?”

“No,” he said. “Well… sorta. She says she’s mad at you.”

“I know. She wants to be alone. Just eat breakfast for now.”

“Where are we going?” he asked. I realized I hadn’t told him yet.

“Somewhere dangerous.” I told him. “You’re still staying here.”

“Aw, come on! I already beat the video games. And I want to go out! I’ve been stuck here for so long.”

“Maybe he’s right, Nix,” Pyro said. “Bring him along.”

“No way. We’re in a city full of Ants. And we’re bringing a 

seven year old boy into it.”

“We are?” he said excitedly. “That is dangerous! Please let me go with you! I came here to go where you guys go! And Mr. Pyro’s an Ant. He’s friendly.” 

“I’m the only one, kid.” Pyro said. “All the rest want to slice up every human.”

I gave him a look that meant, don’t be morbid in front of the seven-year-old! “No they won’t, Jack. Maybe they are friendly.”

Pyro had a smile of success.

“Yay!” he exclaimed. “If they do bite, we’ll use our bug spray, right?”

“That doesn’t work anymore,” Pyro said. “We’re too big for those chemicals to hurt us. Just like how it is ineffective to you humans.”

“Then you’ll beat them to the death, right?” Jack said. “You’re an Ant!”

“They’re Ants too,” Pyro said. 

“No, he’s right.” I told him. “You took on five people with tasers in the facility.”

“Because I’m an Ant.”

“With tasers,” I repeated.

“It’s no big deal, Nix. They weren’t over fifty times my weight, were they?”

“You have a large weight.”

He snickered. “Then I get stronger, don’t I? Everything’s good.”

“Can you show me how you fight?” Jack asked. 

“Ask your brother, kid.” he said. “I dunno if you’re even going.”

“Awww.”

“Fine!” I said, even though I knew Pyro was just trying to get me guilty so he could come. “Whatever. Now you have to spend more money.” 

“It’s fine,” he said. “Maybe I can sell something.”

“Not anything useful.” I warned. 

He got up and walked over to the window with his juice box. “I’ll find my own way. We’re here.”

“We are? Ooh! Let me see!” Jack said as he rushed over to the window.

“I’ll be going now. Can’t waste a second.” He put on Jake’s leather coat over his black shirt. 

“No bag?” I asked.

“Nope.”

“Am I actually coming with you?” Jack asked.

“Sure.”

I said, “Pyro, if you�"”

“He’ll be fine. I assure you.” he told me as Jack yelped excitedly and just put a coat over his pyjamas. 

Pyro took his old wide-brimmed hat and placed it over his head. He took his big, fancy sunglasses and hung them on his ears. “There. Nobody will know you’re human.”

“Yay!” 

“You might be small for an Ant, but whatever.”

I grinned. “You have no idea how ironic that sentence is.”

“Hey,” he said, “we’re different now, okay? We’ll meet you back here in an hour.”

“I’ll ask if Jake’s guards can give you money�"”

He pushed me back down on the couch with his firm hand. “I told you, I’ll find my own way. We’ll be fine.”

“Sell what?” I asked. “Your coat? That’s Jake’s spy coat, you know. He wouldn’t want you to sell it.”

Pyro looked at the floor sadly, and I knew we were both thinking the same thing. He wasn’t here anymore.

“I’ll be fine, for the millionth time.” he said. “Jack, let’s go.”

He slid open the door with one hand. We were landing in the middle of the rainforest, the tree leaves blowing in the wind around us. I heard was the endless sound of the whipping blades of the double propellers over other animals cawing and hooting throughout the area.

“How will you get through the wall?” I yelled over the noise to him.

“We’re both Ants,” he said as if it were true. “They’ll let us through. When we come back, we plan the facility raid.”

They jumped down before the helicopter touched the ground and went off.




















13: Broken

I decided sleep was the best thing I could do before we went messing up with another facility again. I needed to gather up my energy before we go there. It was going to be a long walk�"through a city of Ants. And then there was even the hacking.

I guess Jake’s guards knew a lot about hacking too. I decided I was going to ask them about it when Pyro and Jack came back.

I leaned back on the couch and rested. Without knowing it, I was fast asleep.

I didn’t like what I was dreaming. I was back in my house. Just before when my parents found out I’d been hosting May every night. They were really angry at me.

“We told you, she has to go.” my father had said. 

“No wonder we were running out of food twice as fast in the refrigerator!” Mom cried. “For three years? And we didn’t find out?”

“Mom, Dad, it’s okay.” I told them. “I’ll stop, okay? I’ll stop bringing her in.”

I couldn’t tell them I found her grandparents, and that I was going to take her there by myself, which is why I agreed to stop letting her in. I just couldn’t.

“Good,” Mom said. “It’s not that we don’t care about her. We barely have any food because of the war. You know that. You know how serious this situation is.”

“It’s fine. I’ll stop.”

“We couldn’t find any places for her.” Dad said. “Maybe 

she’ll just have to find another family that actually can take care of her.”

That’s when I started tearing up. “Find another family that can take care of her? Does that mean that we can’t? No! This is dumb! I’m not going to give her away! I just can’t!”

“Mommy? Daddy? What’s wrong?” little five-year-old Jack said, coming down the stairs. It was already ten, way past his bedtime, but he must’ve woke up from the commotion.

“Nothing, dear.” Mom said, running up to him and rubbing him on the back. “Nothing. We’re just having a talk with your brother.”

“Everything’s wrong, Jack!” I yelled at him. “Mommy and Daddy don’t care about a girl who lost her family!”

Jack started to cry. Mom carried him on her lap and ruffled his hair, hushing him back to silence. She glared at me.

“Don’t scare your brother, Nix.” Dad scolded. “It was bad enough he was born into a war. Don’t make it worse for him.”

“But… you don’t care for May.” Streaks of tears raced down my face. 

“She can stay for the night. That’s it.” Mom said. “Or else we’ll all be having to give baby Jack some of our food.”

“She said she hates you!” I told the both of them. “Gee, I wonder why.”

I raced up the stairs while they called my name. I sat down putting my face in my knees when I got to the railing of the stairs, hearing them argue among themselves with baby Jack crying.

The door to my room opened. May came out, handing me a blanket.

“I’m not cold,” I told her. “Thank you. But I’m going to be soon. We’re going to your grandparents’ house.”

“Tonight?”’

“Yes.”

“I thought that was far,” she said, sitting down beside me.

“My mom and dad don’t want to take you,” I sniffled. “They say it’s not worth it.”

She stared at her toes, right beside mine. “But it’s cold tonight.”

“We’re leaving,” I said. “I want to come with you somehow. I never want to see this place again.”

“You know that’s not true,” she said softly. “I don’t know if my grandparents are nice enough to take two. I haven’t even met them yet.”

“They’re nice,” I assured her. “I haven’t met them either, but I heard the town they live in is a nice neighbourhood. No Ants.”

She shuddered. “I miss my parents.”

I hugged her, giving her warmth. “It’s okay. You’re safe from them. Whenever I’m with you, I’ll make sure of that. I told you, remember?”

She nodded. 

“We have to go,” I said. “Sneak out my window. My parents probably don’t want to see you.”

She started to choke up tears. “Okay,” she whispered.

We went to my room together and grabbed knapsacks. We stashed all the food I hid for her in the closet. We packed flashlights and sweaters, gloves and socks.

“What if we don’t make it tonight?” she asked. “It’s a long trip, especially without a car.”

“We’ll pack sleeping bags.” I told her, grabbing them out of my closet. “We have them just in case we have nowhere to sleep if the Ants come.”

Soon we were covered up in hats, scarves, mittens and 

gloves, and boots. I felt so stiff. 

We put on our backpacks. Mine was filled mostly with clothes I had packed�"for May.

“The window’s shut,” she said, as she tried to pry it open.

“Get back,” I told her, and I grabbed my dad’s hammer from under my bed. I was tall enough to not use a stool now. With one powerful swing to each bolt, I snapped each lock open. Probably the millionth time I’d done that.

When I slid the window upwards, an alarm rang through the house, which surprised me.

“That’s new,” I told May.

From downstairs, I heard my parents yell. “Oh no… NIX! Don’t even think about it!”

“Go! Go!” I helped May through the window. It wasn’t easy with her backpack and all, but we managed to do it. I jumped through right after her.

“That way!” I pointed. We ran as fast as we could, through the heavy snow.

The last thing I remember was the alarm ringing louder and louder, and my parents shouting my name. Then tears streaking down my face, but they froze in the cold of winter. And me wishing that I’d never, ever see the place again.

.  .  .


I woke up in cold sweat and absolute terror.

My heart was racing. I breathed heavily, slowly realizing that I was okay. I had a home now. A new, better home with a better family.

I sat back in the couch. I remembered now that my parents had said sorry. But I still felt dreadful. That was a terrible night 

I never wanted to think about ever again.

I looked at the time. Pyro and Jack were soon going to be back, and I was still exhausted. 

I decided that I should check on May. Tell her that I was sorry. I’ve been a jerk to her lately, just because I didn’t know what it was like losing a family. I didn’t know how it felt. But that night was the closest I had felt to it, ever. Because I had the thought that the people who raised me and loved me would never get to find out what happened to me. 

I sighed and put on my socks. It didn’t really matter anyway. Jake’s luxurious chinook had soft wool carpet floors in every room, even including the bodyguards’ room, a tight space with a single bunk-bed and drawer. Except the bathroom, which had even a first-class shower like an RV, which I didn’t understand. Jake had told me once that it had a huge tank at the top filled with gallons of water that we had to refill. 

Staying clean wasn’t on my mind lately. I know, it’s gross. Before I thought of doing anything else, I forced myself to take a quick shower and change into new clothes. 

I felt fresh and new. A nap and a bath. What could be better?

Before I changed my mind, I opened the door to Jake’s room. It didn’t creak.

I’ve never been to his room before. It probably looked as messy as when we first took a look at the living room in the chinook. It had a small bed/couch on one side, a simple drawer nightstand, and a small curved window having a view of the outside. 

There were also photos of him and his family on the walls.  One with his parents on a fishing trip. Another with him and his dad, which looked like they were in a military hangar in a base, because there were jets lined up in the background.

May was sitting up in the bed with a frightened look, the huge comforter draped halfway onto the floor. 

“Nightmares?” I asked her.

She nodded. 

I slid next to her. “You don’t have to sleep. You don’t have to hate me either. We just have to try and understand each other.”

“You sound just like my mother.” She began to sob again.

I wiped her tears with my sleeve. “Don’t be sad. Pyro’s coming soon with our lunch. Come on.”

We went to lie down in the living room, hungry as we awaited for our food.

“I hope they’re safe,” she muttered, staring out the window. 

“Pyro said this is far away from his home city,” I told her. “They don’t know him here.”

“Why is that important?”

“Because that’s how he lost his family,” I said. “Don’t know the exact details, because he doesn’t like sharing it, but he and his family went on a peace mission. All went wrong. He ran away. His race saw him as a traitor.”

“Wow,” she said. “I never knew.”

I thought for a while, staring at the blue vial on my nightstand. Then I sighed and grabbed it.

“Take it,” I told her, holding it out.

She shook her head and grabbed my hands, gently pushing it away. “He trusted it with you,” she said. “I know you’re going to use it wisely, Nixy. Don’t take my chances with me.”

I smiled. Been a long time she’d called me that. 

Pyro and Jack approached a few minutes later. We opened the door for them. Pyro was holding two huge plastic bags. Jack came up to me pointing a suspiciously-looking real gun.

“Look, Nix!” he pretended to shoot it at me and make gun noises. 

I quickly snatched it away from him. “Where’d you get that?”

“Pyro bought it for me!”

“Are you serious?” I asked him, holding up the gun. 

“Safety’s on,” he muttered as he sorted through the stuff he bought. I placed the gun on the counter where Jack couldn’t reach it and May and I helped Pyro with bringing the food into the fridge. 

“We’re not going to kill anybody,” I told him.

“I know. Those are stun-guns.”

“Where did you get the money to buy all this stuff?” May asked as she fiddled with a small disc.

“Don’t press that,” he warned. “Touch it on somebody, it electrocutes them. As for the money… this guy was nice to us. Said he knew a poor face when he saw one. I told him we’d get money our own way, but he insisted.”

I’m not sure if I believed that story, or trusted that man, but none of us cared. We had a bunch of free stuff.

“Are they harmful to Ants?” May asked. 

“Anything you get here barely hurts Ants,” Pyro said. “But I’m sure those will work.”

I grabbed the stun-gun and took a closer look at it. It looked like exactly like a regular one. Even like the one the crazy Ant had put on his head. “Violence for peace,” I said. “Love it.”

“One little raid,” Pyro said. “That’s it. Then we can throw them out.”

“I thought we were hacking it,” May said, looking at Pyro. “Why do we need to go in?”

“To turn off hacking defence, of course!” he explained.

“Then I’ll place this…” he grabbed a small, wired metal box, “and place it in the system. Which obviously, are two different places. We’ll need to split up.”

“You’re an Ant,” I said, “with amazing fighting skills. But are you okay alone?”

“Sure,” he said. “It’s up to you guys to find the defence system. And to shut it down.”

“I’m sure Jake’s bodyguards know how to hack,” May said.

“I’ll ask them,” I said. “Right now.”

I got up and walked to the end of the chinook while Pyro and May sorted the rest of our supplies.

I trudged quietly down the short hallway. I heard them talking amongst themselves.

“Worst mistake of our lives,” one muttered. “Never should’ve helped with that bomb.”

“It might just make things worse,” the other agreed. “Better off staying here. If we go back we’ll be in big trouble, too.”

I thought that they were still grieving about Jake’s death, but they were talking about it like it was past tense. I decided I shouldn’t listen anymore, no matter how curious I was. I knocked lightly on the door.

It opened. The two were wearing their standard-issue tuxedos, and were looming over me. 

I smiled shyly.

“Come in, lad.” one said. “What can we do for you?”

“We’re going to an Ant facility,” I told them. “Do you know anything about hacking?”

“Kid, listen.” the other said. “Jake never properly introduced us to you yet.”

“Not our codenames,” his partner told him.

“Name’s George.” he held out his hand and I shook it. 

“Buddy over here is Johnny. Been to over a hundred fights, so don’t be surprised if he’s always grumpy.”
He was the same one that went with us to the store. The grumpy one.

“Nice to meet you,” I said, shaking his firm hand. “Can I call you John?”

“I don’t care,” he muttered. 

“Lad, about that facility…” George said, “we’ve been to a lot. Are you sure you’ll be fine going through the city just the three of you? Because it’s pretty full of Ants, and we’re trained to protect people.”

“We’ll be fine,” I said. “Best you can do for us is stay here with Jack and hack in the spy room.”

“What do you need us to do, lad?”

“The Archive defences,” I said. “Can you shut them down?Make it so it allows humans?”

George looked at his comrade. He nodded. He looked back at me. “We can do it, lad. But are you sure�"”

“Yes,” I said. “We can go through the city unnoticed. And go through the facility. It might take the whole day, but we’ll do it. We can call you guys when we reach the facility and when Pyro places the device in the system. Then you guys can go to work. It’s lunchtime, too. We better�"”

“We’ll eat later, lad.” George said. “May I advise, going through the city will be dangerous, for sure. All of em’ are stronger then you. Be careful. And Ant facilities are always hard to get in. Both physically and digitally. We might take a while.” 

“It’s okay,” I told them. “We’ll give you as much time as possible.”

“Great,” George said. “We’ll stay here, keep your brother 

safe. If you need a quick getaway, we’ll come by at the edge of the city. We’ll have to risk the wall cannons not firing at us.”

“Thanks,” I was just about to go when John told me, “Careful, kid. Stay away from streets as much as you can. Keep your hat and your profile low. It can cost you between life and death.”

“Okay, thanks.” I said, then went back to the living room.

“Any luck?” May asked.

“Yeah. They said they can do it. But they might take a while.”

“That means we’ll have to defend that spot as long as we can,” Pyro said. “You guys can run back to me and help once you’re done your job. We’ll be leaving soon, by the way. Get ready.”

I groaned. Pyro went suiting up while May and I lazily slumped on the couch.

“I bet you’re excited to hurt some Ants with the stuff we bought,” I told her. 

“I wish they were lethal,” she said as she picked up an electrocution disc and studied it.

“But these Ants aren’t doing anything. They’re just minding their own business.”

“That’s why we’re not killing them,” she said. 

I picked up my stun-gun, loaded it with energy pills, then cocked it. “Yeah. We have to shut down the hacking defence, which I have no idea how we’re going to do that.”

“Find it and destroy it,” she said simply. “Easy.”

“We better eat first. I’m hungry.” 

Pyro made sandwiches. He didn’t even ask us if we liked bacon, scrambled egg, lettuce, and mayonnaise sandwiches.

“What is this?” May asked, holding up her sandwich with a 

disgusted look on her face.

“It’s good!” Pyro said, mumbling with food in his mouth�"or, pincers. 

I took a bite, then my eyes lit up. “It is! How come I never thought of this combo before?”

We laughed. We ate hungrily and had honeydew fruit for dessert.

“Favourite,” Pyro told us as he chewed on his. 

“What’s it like in the city?” I asked Pyro. “I’ve never been to an Ant city before.”

“Your race taught us,” he said. “We have the exact same things you’d find in a human city. But the residents are Ants.”

“Duh,” May said. 

Pyro strapped a belt buckle to his waist, filled with grenades of all sorts.

“Those are flash-grenades, right?” I asked him.

He shrugged. “Maybe some of them are real.”

“Don’t use them,” May said. 

“They’re just-in-case grenades.” 

With his black combat suit, his multiple weapons across his belt holsters, and a knife strapped to his thigh with even a secret one in his boot, he looked like a real Ant commando.

He tossed me a knife of my own in a sheath. “That’s just in case too. Trust me, you’ll be safer with it.”

I stared at the reflective surface of the blade. It seemed deadly, how such a small thing can take a life from a being. I promised I wouldn’t use it at all. But I strapped it to my belt.

Pyro covered his suit with a dark blue sweater. “You guys should cover up too.”

“We don’t have as much weapons as you.” May said. 

It looked like he smiled. “You’ll need em’.”

If we get there without being spotted,” I said. “Don’t the walls have some security?”

“Now that can be fooled by a deception device,” He tossed each of us one. “It will trick the scanner that you have Ant DNA. And that you have no metal on you.”

“What about the clothes?”

“They won’t worry about that, trust me,” he said. “Tons of people on the outskirts come in and people on the inside come out all the time. They don’t have time to check all under their clothes or see their faces. They just rely on the DNA scanner. And I read about more deception devices. They wouldn’t know about them, because those are illegal. I don’t even know where your parents got them, Nix.”

“Then how did you get them?” May asked. “In your own city?”

“The guy was nice to us,” he just said. “I dunno. Guess he gave illegal stuff to random people.”

Again, I wasn’t sure if I believed him. That didn’t seem like a reasonable story. But like he said, I never knew where my parents got our deception devices, so I guess it was reasonable. 

I put my gun in my holster and put on a coat around it. I felt like a criminal.

“You guys ready to go?” Pyro asked.

May shook her head. “Give us a few minutes.”

“Okay. I’ll be outside, preparing and stuff.”

He went out the door. A cool breeze flew in, and the smell of the outside caught my nose.

I didn’t know where exactly, but I knew we were in South America. Or what we used to call it. The rainforest was so infested with Ants, it should be fair that they get to name it. 

May attached a case of the electrocution discs onto her 

utility belt. I took a drink of water.

“He’s waiting for us,” I told her. “You’re stalling a much as possible, aren’t you?”

“Yeah.” She sighed. “But I shouldn’t be wasting our time.”

“It’s okay. We have lots of time,” I cringed when I said that. “We’re going inside their city. And raid one of their facilities. It’s going to be fun.”

“The last time you did that…” she shook her head. “I wished I went. Then it could’ve been me who�"”

“Shh,” I said. “No regrets. He made a choice.”

“He also told you to convince his dad.”

“Yeah… I decided already. I won’t give it to the Ants.”

“Good boy.”

“Doesn’t mean I like the decision.”

“Because you don’t know how to convince his dad,” she said. “He’s the General! He hates the Ants! All that nonsense.”

“Yeah,” I said. “I just hope this will tell him what to do. I don’t have any words for it because I don’t even know how this can stop the war.”

“Give it to him,” she said. “Say that’s what his son wanted.”

“But he’s going to try and kill me. Pyro and I saw the News. He somehow knows that Jake’s been traveling with us. He’ll kill me the first chance he gets.”

“He can’t,” she assured me. “That’s in the middle of the headquarters. He wouldn’t murder someone in front of other people.”

I smiled. “Jeez, it was an exaggeration.”

She smirked as she put on her sweater over her belt. “Who said I didn’t know that?”

I popped a hard candy into my mouth and slipped in my own sweater. I grabbed two pairs of huge sunglasses that covered enough of our face to pass as an Ant, and gave May the wide brimmed hat we always used. 

“It’s ugly,” she said.

“You’re wearing it,” I said, smiling.

I pulled a red cap low over my head and put my hood on. I felt like I couldn’t see. But I watched my feet on the floor so I knew where I was going.

“Ready?” Pyro asked, standing at the doorway.

“Yes,” May and I said at the same time.

“Good,” Pyro told us. “It’s time to begin.”




















14: Ionicscon

We made it through the forest in no time. In my line of sight, I saw a huge metropolis surrounded by a stone barrier that covered half of the skyscrapers. It had high tower lookouts every hundred metres. It had buildings so high they seemed not only scrape the sky but also the clouds and atmosphere. 

Ants of all kinds drove out of multiple exits in the walls. A massive town was outside of the city, a huge mess of encampments of refugees and crowded streets. 

We were walking through that now, making our way to the big city and keeping our heads low. From up close it looked giant. Just the towers in the wall looked big, like it took hundreds of flights of stairs to get to the top. 

“They really want to protect the Infinity Chamber, huh?” I told Pyro.

“Of course. Our only connection to the Queen.”

“Isn’t there multiple hives?” I asked. “Not just one Queen?”

“No,” Pyro said. “See, us Ants are smart. We know that over the years you humans have split apart so vastly, you fight each other for race, religion, holy places, resources, that kind of stuff to start wars. So we organized it so we’re loyal to only one leader, so our whole race was part of only one nation. And now we have no civil wars.”

I saw the tallest skyscraper in the heart of the city. Must’ve been where the portal was kept. On the front was a huge neon sign of the letter I. 

“Know what that is?” I asked him.

“I dunno. Some famous company?”

“Shh,” May said, pulling her hat low. “You two are going to get us all killed.”

“Why, aren’t we Ants?” I told her. Pyro snickered.

She rolled her eyes. “Sure. Just keep quiet.”

“You’re just sacred of all the Ants around,” I said.

“Yeah, I’m freaking out!” An army Ant passed by her shoulder, and she flinched. “Can we just get through this quickly, please?”

“Nothing’s wrong with my race,” Pyro said with an angry gleam in his eyes. “We’re exactly the same as you. Except for how the war was a misunderstanding.”

“Yeah,” I said as I stared at winged Ants fly through the sky. “We don’t even know how it started.”

“We do know that you guys attacked first,” she told Pyro. “That’s what broke the Alliance.”

“That’s why I don’t get what the vial is for,” I said. “Seems not important to me.”

“It’s a cure for a disease,” Pyro said. “How can that not be important?”

“He means in saving the Alliance,” May said.

“Yeah. The only good reason I could do with it is give it to the Ants. They can use it to help stop the disease from the bomb, but still there will be mass extinction.”

I remembered the note I had read on Jake’s tablet. It had read that the Generator we destroyed had enough energy to supply the bomb. I had to hope that we did it before they created it.

“Hold on to it,” Pyro said. “I have a feeling you’ll need it when you see the General.”

“I’m meeting the General?” 

“Of course! That’s the whole point here, right? You take it to him and convince him to stop the war.” May said.

“I’m not sure if I can do that.”

“You’ll do fine,” Pyro said. “We’ll be behind you, anyway. Well, except me. I can’t go in there.”

They didn’t know I had the vial in my pocket the whole time. I know, it was irresponsible considering I can trust it in the chopper being safe. But I wanted it to be in my pocket at all times, just in case. It just felt safer when it was with me.

We were walking along through some sort of farmer’s market, where Ants sold goods and vegetables in booths. Dust and sand was everywhere in the air. Flies and bugs came from the nearby rainforest. The streets were packed, and we couldn’t get by without brushing each other’s shoulders.

As we walked by, I found out Pyro was right. He didn’t cover his head this time�"which must’ve been a great relief for him�"and the people didn’t mind him, almost like he never betrayed his race.

“I feel like that crazy Ant,” May muttered. “Wrong race in the wrong place.”

“Pyro, you have to know why that Ant knew your name,” I told him. “He wouldn’t address you if you didn’t know him, would he?”

He put his hands up. “Nix, I absolutely swore that I didn’t know the guy. Nor that he knew me any better. And I don’t know how he knew my name. I don’t.”

“What about what Jake told you?” May asked. 

“Don’t know what he was talking about either.”

“Then obviously we’re missing something here,” I said. “Maybe he thought you knew. But you didn’t.”

“Yeah,” he said. “I don’t know what he meant by clear my race’s name.”

“Because your race attacked us first,” I said. “I dunno.”

“Can’t we ask the Queen when we get to the Infinity Chamber?” May asked. “She’ll have answers.”

“You don’t know how many have tried, May,” Pyro said. “Of course we’d try to speak with her. But either the explorers got lost and insane or the Queen just wouldn’t speak.”

“Then why don’t you tear apart the whole place?” I asked. 

“Can’t. We have a bit of connection to the Queen, remember? The temple is sacred to Her.”

“It’s barely a temple if it covers the surface of the moon.” May said. 

“I didn’t build it,” he said. “And not all Ants know its secrets.”

“That’s neat,” I said. “You Ants don’t even understand the structures you build and the people you worship.”

“Hey!”

I smiled underneath my thick sweater. 

I held my breath as we approached the walls of the city. They looked old, with vines and cracks fractured in the smooth stone walls. One opening led inside, which was the only one that wasn’t a road with cars.

Tons of people were filing in and out, with metal and human detectors on the sides of the gateway. A couple of Ant guards in uniforms were guarding it. But if all of a sudden all the people were part of a planned attack, I didn’t see them having any chance against that many. 

“How will we know where to go when we get there?” I asked him. “I don’t know how to take down a hacking defence system.”

“Just find the room, burn it, and leave the rest to me and the bodyguards.”

“We’ll find it when we get there.” May bumped me with her 

elbow. “Right? Me and you, Nixy? The perfect team?”

“Yeah,” I said. “But Pyro doesn’t need a team. He took on five guys with tasers in less than ten seconds.”

“I might know a little bit about fighting, I’ll admit,” he said. “My dad taught me. I didn’t know what I’d use it for, but now it’s coming in handy.”

“Just make sure you don’t break anymore legs, okay?” I told him.

“Don’t use that gun for me, will you?”

I smiled. “Good point. I just hope we won’t get to use them.”

“I told you, Nix. You’ll need them. I know how harsh my race’s security can be.”

“Then going to one of their most important facilities isn’t a good idea then, right?” I said.

“Hey, we took on your generator, right?”

I couldn’t bring myself to say with one death.

“It was supposed to be secret, that’s why.” I said. “That was its best defence.”

“Didn’t work,” May said. “They should’ve not told Jake about it. He’s an obnoxious boy, and he wants to be a spy. They shouldn’t leave him with classified information if they knew those two things.”

“Let’s not remind us what happened to him, okay?” I said, but my voice cracked up. “Pyro didn’t get him out. End of story.”

“Hey!”

“I gave you a chance!” I said. “You should’ve�"”

He shoved me hard in the chest. I fell on my rear, and my cap fell off my head. I heard Ants around me gasp.

“Look at what you’ve done!” May tried to punch him in the arm, but that it did no good. 

He had a sunned look. “Nix, I’m sorry�"”

Then, all chaos broke loose. The crowd started throwing their vegetables at us, advancing on us, yelling. Pyro blocked most of them with his hand, and before they started beating on us, he grabbed my and and pulled me up. We raced forwards into the city. 

“Pyro, you stupid little�"”

“I’m sorry, okay!” he said as we ran. “I hadn’t meant to do that! Just get to the gates or that crowd back there will remember about us and we’ll be dead before we even know it!”

We ran as fast as we could, weaving through the crowd. I had to put my hat and hood on quickly and keep my head low the whole time, trying to hide my face.

Soon we came to the gateway. We mixed in with the crowd, hiding our faces the whole time. The guards didn’t even give us a second look, and we passed by cleanly through the scanners. 

Pyro pulled us by the arms to hide behind one of the buildings, in its shadow. He exhaled when he knew that nobody was coming at us.

“They forget us quick,” he explained. “Either they think the authorities will take care of us, they wouldn’t spend time chasing us, or they know two puny humans wouldn’t do anything to them. Or maybe all three.”

“Or maybe because they remember the good old days when we used to live among them?” I hoped.

“No,” May said. “Don’t you even think that�"”

“I don’t hate the Ants like you do, May! I know I still have a chance to repair the peace! So you shut up and�"”

“Shh!” Pyro said viciously. “Don’t do this now, please.”

We were silent for a full half minute while Pyro peeked around the corner. 

“Go,” he said. We continued walking with our head down.

The city was big and bright. It was bustling with Ants, and I couldn’t imagine a cordyceps bomb being dropped on this place. It just didn’t seem like the right thing to do.

“There’s the store Jack and I went to,” Pyro told us, nodding his head to a building. “Sells weapons. With the war going on, you’ll find these everywhere.”

“Why?” I asked.

“I dunno. I heard they just want to arm every single Ant.”

“Did you have any problems with Jack?” May asked.

“No, he’s a nice kid�"”

“I meant, did you get into any trouble?” she said.

“No. He was quiet the whole time. Even when we met the man who gave us money, he behaved.”

“You shouldn’t just go around taking money from strangers,” I told him.

“He was nice.”

“He could’ve been a spy.”

He seemed to consider that. “Sure, I guess.”

We walked nearer to the store when Pyro said, “Actually guys, I just remembered I have to do something. It’ll be quick.”

“You didn’t go leaving Jack all the time when you went with him, did you?” I asked him.

“No! Of course not. But you guys will be fine. It’ll take, like, a minute. Just stay here, try not to make any eye contact, try not to get into trouble, blah blah.”

“Where are you going?” May asked suspiciously.

“I just have to do something. You guys will be fine, right?”

“Of course,” I said. “A minute. Go.”

May nudged my arm, but Pyro was already lost in the crowd. 

“Why did you let him go?” She gritted her teeth.

“Relax,” I told her, “it’s one of his race’s cities. Maybe he has to do something all Ants have to do. Visit a place or something. We’ll be fine. Just because you don't like all the Ants?”

“Let’s get inside.” She pulled me through the doors into a lobby of a huge building. 

“He said stay where we are,” I whispered to her.

“He can find us. I just don’t like being here with all of them on the streets.”

“Well, yeah. Both of Jake’s guards said to stay off the streets. We already got into that feud earlier.”

Her eyes got sad when I said that.

“Okay, okay, I’ll stop calling them Jake’s guards.”

We slumped on a couch inside the lobby. The counter was empty, and we were the only ones here like the building was closed. But the lights were on and the revolving door was open.

I looked over at May. She was always so distant, and things were never the same between us since back then.

“You hate me, don’t you?” I said.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“I didn’t abandon you. My parents told me I couldn’t see you again.”

“I figured.”

That statement somehow made me angry, but I forced myself to quiet down. “They’re sorry. Why can’t you accept that?”

“They still hated me after they found out you’ve been helping me. They really couldn’t understand that?”

“We had Jack,” I shook my head. “I’m sorry.”

“My grandparents were nice to me anyway,” she said. “I didn’t need your company anymore.”

I remembered that night. It was so cold. We didn’t know how to make a fire. The sky was the darkest possible shade of black. We just bundled up in our jackets and into our sleeping bags in the wild and tried our best to stop ourselves from getting buried in the heavy snowfall. 

May’s teeth chattered. “So… cold.”

“We’re almost there. Maybe a few more hours.”

“A few more hours?!” She tried to fit her whole body in the sleeping bag, but her head still stuck out. “We shouldn’t have made this trip over night. You’re parents will kill you. They’ll find you first, then kill you. Literally.”

“Don’t talk like that,” I said. “They won’t. I’m their son.”

“And just because I’m not their daughter, they won’t take me in. When I had to live on the streets for at least three nights hungry before you found me, still crying from what happened to my home town and my parents.”

“At least I found you,” I said. “You’re lucky.”

“I don’t know if it’s luck or if there’s an almighty super powerful being up there in the sky, watching over me. But one thing for sure is that I don’t have luck. I have the worst luck ever, because of the Ants finding my home and tearing it apart. And you’re lucky because you still have everything, even a brother.”

I remember thinking that having Jack wasn’t very lucky, because he always depended on me and that he was the reason that May had no home. But I knew he was my baby brother, and I was lucky to have one, so the most biggest thing I regretted from running away from home was losing him. Even if he was annoying sometimes, even if he followed me everywhere and did the things I did, I loved him. And I remember thinking that he was gone forever.
“I don’t want to live in that stinking place anymore,” I remember saying. “I don’t care about it. The Ants should’ve took my home instead of yours.”

“Trust me,” she shuddered. “You don’t want that. Never , ever wish that. I couldn’t bear watching my mom and dad�"”

She started to choke up tears at that moment. 

“You won’t lose anybody else again,” I told her. “Not your grandparents, not me. You’ll never be abandoned. Never, as long as we both live.”

It was the day after that where everything changed. We had made it to May’s grandparents’ house in mid-morning. I remember how welcoming they had been, giving us warmth and food after our long journey. They had knew all about what happened to May. And we told them what happened after I found her.

“You are a brave little boy,” they had said to me. They thanked me with such gratitude, I felt like a true hero. “Thank you for saving this her life.”

I had asked them if I could stay too, and they got surprised. I told them I had run away from my home too, and my parents didn’t want me just because I helped May. But I didn’t know at the time that that wasn’t the case. My parents loved me, and that’s why they didn’t want me to run. Not because they thought I was a son with every quality they didn’t want.

Before May’s grandparents made a clear answer, cop cars pulled into the driveway. I remember feeling worried as my grandparents went out to talk with them, and I saw my parents out the window.

“No,” I said. “NO!”

“It’s okay,” May assured me. “You found me a home. It’s time to go back to yours.”

“I never want to call that home!” I said, closing my eyes tight and holding back the tears. 

“You’ll visit me still, right?” she had said. “They’re real monsters if they don’t let you.”

I don’t know what I felt that moment. I knew I couldn’t let May talk about my parents that way. But I didn’t have the heart to stop her, because I actually considered it might be true.

My parents got me after that. I thought about hiding, but the cops were here. And May’s grandparents probably told them already that I was here. I felt the absolute worst in my entire life. I felt like I was going back to jail. I was going to be trapped in my house again, never being able to head out just because of some stupid war that was going on. 

After I said my final goodbye to May on the porch of the house, I crossed my arms and looked out the window of the cop car in my seat, looking at May and her grandparents waving sadly on the porch, trying not to meet my mom or dad’s eyes. At least she had a nice family. They probably let her play in her yard every day, or explore the town. They were all happy… without me. 

I felt dreadful just thinking about thinking about it.

“You’re in big trouble, Nix.” my father had told me. “We couldn’t find you. We had to call the police here�"”

“Why!?” I screamed. “Because I saved her life?”

My parents looked at each other for a moment. 

“We were scared to death, honey.” Mom said. “We couldn’t find you. We… we thought you were gone for good.”

“You wouldn’t have driven May and I there anyway!” I said. “Because you’re scared! Scared of helping other people because that’s what this war makes all of us! Scared! Thinking that the Ants are gone forever, and that they’re not going to stop 

until they tear us all apart!”

“We would’ve driven you,” Dad said angrily. “We just didn’t know.”

“Liars!”

“You’re not allowed to see her again.” Mom scolded. “She has her own safe life now. And we’re not trusting you to leave the house ever again until you actually understand.”
“And learn some manners on the way.” Dad said. “Don’t talk to us like that!”

I considered trying to call them more insults, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it, because I just felt so broken. Heartbroken, too.

I didn’t want to ever talk to them again. And I wanted to run away once more. I didn’t want to see my same room for the past ten years. I didn’t want to sit in the same places for the past ten years. And I didn’t want to see Jack, who I felt like I had to blame it on. But it wasn’t really his fault, and I felt guilty about that.

And as we drove back to my house, as I thought I would never see May again, I really thought about what she said. That maybe my parents really were monsters. 

“You know there was no way I could’ve snuck out,” I told her. “They watched me all the time.”

“You shouldn’t have run away, then you wouldn’t be trapped.” she said. “Think about that.”

“I didn’t have to come with you there,” I said. “Or you didn’t have to come with us, right now. If you’re so scared of the Ants that you won’t try to recreate the truce with them, you shouldn’t be here!”

“And you’re the one who said I should be helping!” she yelled. “I’ve done nothing but be another useless person in that chopper! You’re the one who brought me here! I thought I was actually going to do something, but all I’ve seen is one death and probably three more. I didn’t ask for this!”

“It was that deal,” I grumbled.

“Yeah? So what? You really expect me to still follow that? After I have my own life now? If you haven’t noticed, I’m not good at keeping promises either!”

“At least you were safe so far. In the chopper.”

“In a city full of Ants?

“Stop hating them so much! They’re new to this world, and, and�"”

“They were born into this world trying to kill us!” she yelled. “And you don’t know how it feels like, to lose your parents! And you never will, because if they took your home you wouldn’t care. Because you don’t appreciate what you have!”

I looked at the floor. She was right.

“You don’t realize that you have a home with a family, and still you get mad. What is there more to ask? You want to stop the war? Why? You love the Ants more than your own family? You don’t appreciate what they’ve done for you in ten years? You don’t realize having a brother is better than not having one? Just because he looks up to you all the time and it gets annoying? Just because you have to teach him math lessons!”

“I want to stop the war because of people like you,” I said quietly. “Because nobody deserves getting their home taken in this world, not even the Ants.”

“Even if they started the global war that’s going to destroy this planet. Even if they brought a deadly disease into the world, and you don’t want to give it to the people it’s affecting. You don’t trust the scientist, or Jake, or all of us. Because you only want what’s good for the Ants. What’ve we done so far? Only destroy a top-secret energy supply for weapons to defend our race! What else? Oh, getting a cure for a disease that you want to give to them. Everything we’ve been doing is helping the people who destroyed half of our world!”

“What about the Archives, huh?” I said. “We’re going to destroy it.”

“No, you’re going to abandon us to find the Eternity Hall because you think that matters more than anything else.”

“Well… yeah.” I said. “We don’t know why we exist. Anybody would give to find out�"”

I then realized then that nobody told May about the Eternity Hall. She must’ve eavesdropped on us when Pyro and I were talking.

“I’m not going to abandon you again. I swear.” I said.

“You don’t need the Eternity Hall, Nix. We don’t need to know why we’re here. And if you do, it will probably creep you out so much you’ll forget how to live. You’ll live a dull life knowing that everything going on the earth is pointless. That life is pointless. It will tell you caring for other people is an illusion.”

“Yeah?” I said. “Then what about when I found you? Gave you a home for free? You think that’s an illusion?”

“Maybe it is.”

“Jake sacrificed his life to complete the mission. Is that an illusion? He said he was sorry for everything that happened to you, by the way. And I am, too. I’m helping our race by stopping the war that’s been going for six years. I’m helping our race by making them, help us! And the way to do that is restore the huge gap between us. How is that not helping the both of us?”

“This is just all dumb,” she muttered. “I wish I was born thousands of years ago. Where there was no such thing as Ants.”

“There was such a thing called Ants,” I told her. “They’ve always been on this earth, like us. Even longer. As old as the Dinosaurs, which is a legend that’s been passed on for generations, which I don’t know if it’s true. They were here way before us, and that’s why they’ve already evolved.”

“Oh, they’re as old as the Dinosaurs?” she said. “Then they’ve survived a mass extinction event too. Which means they can do it again! You shouldn’t stop that bomb if you know they can just survive it!”

As mad as I was at her, I couldn’t forget that she was also  smart.

“You have no heart.”

“You have no sense.”

I tried not to meet her eyes. We were silent for a moment before Pyro burst through the doors into the building.

“There you guys are!” he said, then his antennas lowered like he just realized we’d argued again. They have been a regular thing ever since I pulled May out of her house. I still think she hates me, that’s why. 

“That was way longer than a minute,” I told him.

“Well, you guys didn’t stay exactly put. And you’re fine anyway. Come on, if you don’t like the streets we can take the Colony Subway underground�"”

“A subway underground filled with Ants?” May shook her head. “Makes me claustrophobic just thinking about thinking it. I’m not going there.”

I had to admit, even though I didn’t want to, I agreed with her. “What else is there?”

“I’m guessing you won’t like the buses either,” he said. “That’s on the streets anyway. Well then, we’ll take the bridges.”

“What?” I asked.

“The bridges! All major cities have them. Blue light bridges extend from building to building high up in the air. We can walk through those across the city.”

“That’s actually a smart idea, whoever thought of that,” I said. “Not just you can get anywhere without a vehicle or traffic, but it’s also extra support in case of an earthquake. They’ll keep each other from tumbling down.”

“Or they’ll pull one another down.” May suggested. 

“Anyway, there’s a network.” Pyro explained. “Like a spiderweb network. There’s at least one bridge connecting to each skyscraper in the city. Then we do our mission and take the same route back. Simple.”

“Bridges it is,” I said. “Safest way, right?”

“Except they’re always busy,” Pyro warned us. “Tons of Ants. As much as the streets.”

“Wow, there’s really no safe place here,” May said. 

“Well, the light bridges may be the safest route, even safer than the streets.” he confirmed.

“Nice pun,” I told him.

“What?” he asked, and May just rolled her eyes.

“Nothing. How do we get there?” I said.

“Elevators.” Pyro pointed to sets of double doors in one side of the building.

“I thought this place was closed. Nobody’s here.” I said.

“Nix, nothing in this place is ever closed. Are we going or not?”

“Why does it have to be such a big city?” I groaned. We got 

up and followed him to the doors.

Nobody was inside, thankfully, but it was huge. Another set of doors were on the opposite side, fully made of glass. That gave us the amazing view of the whole city as we went up.

It was amazing. The city was so bright and alive, and I saw that Pyro was right. Light bridges were everywhere, multiple in different floors of buildings. Tons of people walked through them, and it was like there was a whole new level of the city high above. There were parks, large atriums, and gardens.

“You’ve got to admit that’s cool,” I told May. She didn’t answer. 

Pyro was tapping his shoe on the elevator floor, looking agitated. “Almost there.”

“Why do you look so nervous?” I asked him. “I know that look. Like you’re going somewhere you’re not supposed to�"”

“Something like that,” he interrupted. “I don’t like being in an Ant city as much as May.”

I’d almost forgot he was considered a traitor to his race. “You belong with us, Pyro. You don’t have to think about earning back their trust.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“See?” May said. “I’m not the only one. There’s just something about this place that makes me feel… I dunno. Not welcomed.”

“I don’t feel anything,” I said. “This place is awesome to me.”

“Might be the Eternal Archives,” Pyro said.

“It can affect us all the way here?” May asked anxiously. 

Pyro frowned. “No. I just thought it might.”

“I dunno what you guys are feeling, but I’m okay.” I said. “Nothing’s wrong here.”

May muttered something about everything was wrong here, and she stared outside the glass and down below into the streets, as it got further and further away. Pyro kept his eyes on the numbers going up above his head.

I felt the elevator continue sliding upwards. I didn’t know how high up the bridges were, because I saw some down below us, but I wasn’t afraid of the height. People say I always run into danger anyway, not away from it. 

“This is boring,” I said. 

“Appreciate the privacy, Nix.” Pyro said. “In a few minutes you’ll be going back undercover.”

As we got higher and higher, I started to see the tops of the skyscrapers. The tallest one was still there, in a background of puffy clouds and a blue sky. The giant I in the centre shone neon red intimidatingly now.

“You still don’t know what that means?” I asked Pyro, pointing to the skyscraper. 

“No clue. I know you’re curious, Nix, but I don’t know much about the city. I grew up in a small town near the borders. How do you think I made it to your side?”

“How did you?” I asked. “How did you get past the security?”

“The facility doesn’t stretch all the way through the wall. I climbed over the fence.”

“You must think weird,” May said, “that you’re chances were better with us than with your own race.”

“I had no choice,” Pyro clenched his fists. “I felt ashamed. I had to get away from them, even if it meant going to your territory.”

“It wasn’t a mistake, Pyro. I found you. Now you don’t have 

to worry about feeling ashamed again, because you’ll be a hero

 to our race how you helped to stop the war.”

“Then my race will hate me even more. Knowing that they were winning the war, and that I stopped it.”

We didn’t say anything, but we knew it was true. The Ants had more successful attacks on us in the past six years. We’ve been giving all our strength into it, but we were surrounded. And there were way more Ants now than before. 

I sighed. “Don’t worry. Nobody has to know you destroyed the Infinity Chamber, right?”

“Only an Ant can lead you there,” he reminded us. “And gee, what is a good guess on which Ant would help you guys? Me, maybe?”

“They’ll learn to accept you back, eventually. But now we have to stop the bomb, or else all of us are at stake. Right? Even us? If I don’t get the cure to the General?”

“Yeah, sure.” May said. I had a feeling she didn’t want us to stop the bomb. She might’ve wanted all the Ants to die, but that thought was so dark I assured myself she wouldn’t mean that. After all, she was helping me.

“The cure won’t help if it’s still launched,” Pyro said. “I don’t know when they’re even going to�"”

“Two days,” I blurted. “I mean… ugh, it’s no secret anymore. I know when they’re going to launch it. Two days.”

“Two days to destroy the defences, get into the portal to the moon, find our way through the Archives, and destroy the Infinity Core. Then fly all the way back to the Military Headquarters which we don’t even know where it is, and convince the General to stop the launch. Sounds fun.” Pyro said. 

“We have enough time.” May encouraged. “Two days until we all die.”

“Don’t think like that.” I glared at her. “We have the cure. We’re not going to all die. And Jake’s g�"the guards probably know where it is. They’ll take us there.”

“They’ll take you there,” Pyro said. “You know I won’t be able to get in there.”

“If I can even get in there,” I said. “It’s heavily guarded. Plus, I’m already a wanted kid.”

“Just say you need to speak to Jake’s dad. They’ll take you to him, right? Because he wants to arrest you?” May said.

“Say it wasn’t your fault,” Pyro told me.

“It wasn’t.”

“He’ll think that, anyway. Now, to the bridges.”

The elevator stopped abruptly when we reached the height that the bridge was on. It was wider than I expected, with no railings at all.

“Don’t worry, perfectly safe.” Pyro said as if he read my thoughts. “As long as you stay in the middle.”

“As long?” May muttered. 

The glass doors slid open and we covered our faces again. Pyro led us through the crowd, which was so thick May took my hand, surprisingly, to not get lost. She was scared, obviously.

“How long is this bridge?” she asked me nervously.

“I dunno. Can you keep up, though? I’m losing Pyro.”

But then Pyro suddenly stopped and we caught up to him. He slowly edged around something in the middle of the bridge.

When we got there I realized it was a fight. Two Ants were beating up somebody in the centre of the bridge. Everybody was ignoring it.

“Help!” he screamed. “Somebody help!”

Nobody did. I let go of May’s hand and moved forward with 

clenched fists, but Pyro stopped me. “Don’t. Never get involved in these.”

“But�"” I felt helpless as I watched him get beaten up.

“Don’t, Nix. Just leave. It’s from experience, okay?”

I trusted him. Although I still felt guilty. We creeped around the fight like everybody else, avoiding it.

That was until the victim caught Pyro in the crowd. “You!” he snarled. “Ionicscon! Help me! Aren’t you supposed to�"”

Pyro growled and suddenly stepped forward. Weirdly, the two Ants looming over him stood aside. 

Pyro hooked him in the face. He crumpled to the floor.

“Don’t you jeopardize�"” then he realized we were watching him. “Stay,” he told the guy whimpering on the floor.

He walked back to us and acted like nothing just happened. Except that wasn’t the case. We saw the whole thing.

I said, “What the�"”

“Just ignore, Nix. He’s another crazy Ant.”

“But, like the last one… he knew your name.”

“I don’t know, okay? Just don’t talk about it.”

May and I exchanged uneasy glances. Okay, we were in an Ant city. Where random things happen. And apparently every crazy Ant knew Pyro.

“What was wrong with him?” I asked him.

“Some Ants are really crazy, okay? They disconnect themselves from the hive mind. They’re rogues.”

“Like you,” I said.

“No, not like me. Even after I betrayed my race, I still didn’t lose my connection to the hive. It’s considered a true crime to do that. Like, the punishment is execution.”

“That’s harsh,” May said.

“Yeah, we’re pretty serious about keeping one nation. The 

only reason we’re winning the war is because of our mass consciousness, you know. Our whole race thinks like one.”

“Except you,” I said. “Didn’t you�"“

“I didn’t try to betray them, Nix. I merely suggested to make peace. Does that sound like I’m trying to create my own nation?”

“A bit,” May said. 

“Just�"whatever. I have a complicated past. It’s best not to go into it.”

“Complicated, huh.” I said. “Okay.”

The guy on the floor was still screaming Pyro’s name, and Pyro winced every time he heard it. 

After a moment he bursted out from under the arms of the Ants holding him down and rushed to us with lightning speed,  grabbing Pyro’s shoulders.

“Ionicscon!” he yelled. “Save us! You must�"”

Pyro shoved him to the floor. I had just about enough of it. I grabbed my gun from my hidden holster and pointed it at the Ant steadily with two hands.

“Stay away!” I shouted. 

Everybody around us gasped. They backed away slowly.

“Remember about low profile?” Pyro said quietly.

“This guy’s bothering you.”

“Put the gun down. Let the Ants take care of him. He’s none of our business.”

Reluctantly I put my weapon back in my holster. Pyro grabbed us each by the shoulders and steered us away from the surprised crowd.

When we got enough distance Pyro put his hand to his forehead. “Nix, you are so stupid�"”

“Are your cities like this all the time?”

“I’m not going to answer that.”

“He was defending you,” May said.

“I can handle myself. Instead you just let everybody on that bridge know you have a weapon.”

“Who cares?” I said. “We’re about to hack into one of their facilities anyway.”

“Who cares?” he said. “We have to get off here, now.”

He quickly turned and continued walking. We followed closely behind, and I tried not to make any eye contact with anybody.

The end of the bridge was an open way inside a building. The whole thing was one floor. People were lined up at the counters. There were openings in all directions to other bridges to other buildings, including the one we just came in.

“Busy,” I muttered.

“We’re not going down,” Pyro said. “We’re going to take a couple more bridges to get there.”

“You know the route?” I asked him.

“All in my head.”

“Where do we go?” May asked.

“I think… that one.” He pointed.

“You think?” May said.

“Yes, I think. And I’m usually right. Let’s go.”

We began walking on the bridge. It was the same as last time�"tons of people and amazing views of the city.

“How far is it anyway?” I asked him.

“It’s supposed to be far from the Archives entrance itself, which is in the centre of the city.” 

I then realized something. “The giant skyscraper is in the centre of the city. The one with the I.”

“Yup. The entrance to the Archives is at the very most

highest floor. The Celestial Obelisk at the top shoots us to the moon, but of course we don’t feel it. It will be like a flash of lightning. We’ll instantly be there.”

“We have to break in that building?” I said.

“Yeah, why?”

“Seems impossible, doesn’t it?”

“Not my idea,” May said.

“It was Jake’s,” Pyro reminded us. “So we have to do it, for him.”

“Yeah, we’ll do it.” I said. “We’ll be the first ones to destroy the Infinity Chamber. Lucky us.”

“After we take down the defences,” May reminded us. “Which is going to take quite a while considering we don’t know where the room we’re supposed to go is…”

“Trust me, where I’m going to go, there’ll be a lot more Ants.” Pyro said. “Just follow the signs.”

“That so helps.” she said.

“Hey, do you want to do this or not? It’s a once in a lifetime experience, going into the Eternal Archives.”

“When was the last time somebody went in?” I asked.

“About a year ago? I dunno. It was the crazy guy who claimed he found the Eternity Hall. But he was really crazy. If the Hall contained so much knowledge, and he turned out insane, maybe it’s not a good idea to go there.”

“Why? Didn’t you just say it wasn’t real?”

“Uh… yeah. It’s not real. Forget about it.”

“He’s right, Nix.” May said. “You’ll turn crazy with that much knowledge. I mean, who wouldn’t if they knew the reason we’re here? Why we’re standing alone in a ball of rock in infinite space? Who could bear knowing that?”

“There has to be someone out there,” I said. “That knows 

why the universe is here.”

“Maybe there isn’t, Nix.” Pyro told me. “Maybe there’s really no way of knowing from the inside of this universe. Maybe there’s some supernatural being on the outside that knows everything.”

“But then what would that being be living in?” I asked. “Another universe?”

“Yup, it’s already turing you crazy.” May said. “Let’s not go in there.”

“But I’m so curious!”

“And that’s your fatal flaw,” Pyro told me. “Don’t let it overcome you. Just accept that you don’t have to know everything.”

“I’m guessing you guys already did that?”

They both nodded.

“How?”

“Just let it go,” May said. “We’re not going to find it anyway. It’s impossible to find, right?”

“The Archives will lead me, because it wants to bribe me to get lost, right?” I asked Pyro.

“Nix, one thing I’ve learned from the Archives is that it never, ever, leads you to the place you want to go. The longer you’re in it, the longer you turn insane. The louder the whispers in your head. If you’ve been there long enough, you’ll turn so crazy, you’ll be beyond healing. And if you get out, the whispers will still be with you for the rest of your life.”

“That’s pretty much dead to me,” I said. “So, that’s its only defence system. So why not put ear plugs?”

“You should know that’s not the case,” he said. “The whispers are internal, in the inside of your brain. You can’t get them out.”

“That sucks.”

“Has anybody survived in and out?” May asked.

Pyro thought about it for a second. “No.”

I gulped. We were silent for a while.

“Well…” Pyro began, “there was this one guy, who they say was a very great person. And since he was such a true Ant, he ventured deep into the Archives, found the Infinity Chamber, and talked to the Queen. Then he waltzed right out. He didn’t turn crazy. No, not at all. In fact, he was smarter. Because he actually talked to Her Majesty. Not all Ants have the chance in their life to do that.”

“Whoa,” I said. “If he can do it, we can, right guys?”

“I’m not even sure if I’m a true Ant,” Pyro said. “So…”

“We don’t even know what that means,” May said.

“It means if you’re loyal to your Queen. And believe it or not, I may have suggested to make peace, and they saw me as a traitor, but I actually never did anything to pose a threat. And I still have my connection.” He tapped his head three times. 

“So you’re saying you’re still�"”

“I still don’t know, May. One thing for sure: I am an Ant. And I won’t fail in leading you in there. What are friends for, right?”

“I believe in you, Pyro,” I said. “You might as well try to find�"”

“No,” him and May said at the same time.

“Fine. I’ll try to forget about it. I mean, I will forget about it. Now, where are we going?”

We reached the end of the bridge. Pyro lead us to the next one and we continued on our trail.

“How did you figure out our route?” I asked. “I mean, I know you’ve been here for the Archives grand opening, but it’s 

not like you live here, right?”

“I have my ways,” he said. “For example… gee, I dunno. A map on the web, maybe?”

“Well duh.”

“We’re almost there,” he said. “We take that bridge to that building over there. Don’t you guys see it from here?”

We were walking along the edge. Looking up ahead, I saw a modern-looking skyscraper made of blue glass panes and an iron frame. 

“I’m guessing that’s the one,” I said.

“Yeah. Biggest facility ever. It shouldn’t be too hard to hack. Considering you’ve got me with you.”

May rolled her eyes. “As long as you take care of your job.”

“I will. I have the easy part. Well, for me at least. You guys actually have the easier part. But you’ll still have to knock out some guards.”

“I’ll do it,” I said when I saw May had a worried look. “Biggest question is, how do we get in? Don’t they at least have some security?”

“I have to sneak in and knock out somebody who works there, then steal his outfit. I’ll be undercover while I make it into the room. You guys have to steal a fake ID card so you guys can get pass the security measures too. Although you’ll take care of all the guards. You only need the ID to get pass the alarm system.”

I didn’t like the way he said “take care,” but I guess we had no other choice if we were breaking in one of their most secured facilities.

“Oh, and you’ll have to buy me time to shut down the facility defences,” he said.

“What?” I said. “How many defences are there? Any more 

and my brain will explode.”

“Of course we have a lot of backup defences! It’s our way of making things complicated. And it makes it harder to break in.”

“What do you mean by, “buy” time?” May asked.

“The entrance has turrets that can fry you in seconds,” he explained. “No point in taking out the guards if they’re just going to fire at you. The guards control them, so you need to make a distraction and make them not fire at you yet. I can’t hack the defences if they’re off, which is the failsafe, so if you appeal to the guards they’ll obviously turn them on just in case you guys make a move, and you’ll just have to distract them long enough until I shut down the turrets. Then�"wha pow!”

I gulped. “Okay, I don’t know how we’re going to distract the guards that long…” 

“Are you sure you’re going to be fine?” May asked Pyro.

“Of course! You know me, guys. I’ll get the job done. You just have to get yours done. Here.”

He gave us each a com-link. “So we can talk while we’re split,” he said. “We’ll need it soon because… we’re here.”

At the last bridge we rounded up on the facility entrance. It was a large atrium with balconies of the other floors ringed around to the top of the interior, with a giant glass pane window at the top with sunlight streaming in. Employees and guards were all around the plaza, on a plain white tile floor with tons of people milling around.

“Seems like such a public place to break into,” I said. “What do we do?”

“Only the check-in centre. Real entrance is through the doors, and that’s more secure with less people. There’s probably nobody there, too. Not many people go in and out of this facility.”

“So… we check in, how?” May asked.

“I’ll pretend I’m an employee,” he said. “Be right back.”

“Wait�"” I began, but he was already off.

We ducked my head low around all the people, and we rested against a wall.

“Too many of them,” May said. “What’s he going to do?”

“Something,” I said, as if that answered the question. “We’ll wait.”

A few minutes later, I heard someone call my name. “Psst… Nix!”

I whirled around to find the voice. It was Pyro, in an employee’s greenish blue work suit with a fake ID and a cap. 

“What the�"”

“Shh!” he said. “You and May sneak in the doors. I’ll tell you when I shut down the turrets. It shouldn’t be too hard to get in, while I distract them. Now go!”

He left hurriedly and I told May the plan. Pyro was right, the doors were unguarded behind the counter and not one Ant saw us sneak through. We made it quickly.

“Phew,” May said. “What now?”

I peeked around the corner of the hallway. Inside was a smaller room with a few guards with weapons, chatting. There were two turrets pointed downwards at the floor at the doors inside the facility. 

“Wait,” I told her. “Pyro will turn them off�"”

“No, he needs them to be on for him to do that, remember?” she said. “We have to distract them.”

I sighed. I was hoping to get out of this, but I knew I couldn’t. 

“Get behind them,” I said. “I’ll distract. When the turrets turn off, attack them.”

“You just want me to be safe.”

“Yes. Now go!”

We split. I walked up to the guards with my head still low, like I was a regular employee.

They didn’t think that. “Whoa!” They jolted in alarm and pointed their rifles at me. The turrets whirred to life, too, which was just exactly what I expected. “Kid, you’re not supposed to be here!”

“Relax!” I said in a very human voice. I realized they would find that out sooner or later. I slowly took off my hood and held up my hands, showing my face.

They jumped back in alarm. May from one side of the room gave me a nervous look, and I just smiled at her.

“A human!” one of the guards snarled. I was sure he was about to pull the trigger before I said, “Wait!”

They froze.

“I just have to get through,” I told them. “Can’t we be friends or something?” 

“Kid, our races will never stand by each other’s side ever again. It’s a hopeless dream. Now�"”

“But have you ever considered it?” I asked. “I’m just a kid. It wouldn’t be right to�"”

“You’re a filthy human, kid!” the other said. “I don’t know how you got into the city, but you don’t belong here�"”

“You’re right!” I said enthusiastically. “I don’t belong here. Maybe if you just let me through those doors I’ll be on my way, then you’ll be done with me.”

I heard the turrets charge up, ready to fry me. “You think we’re stupid, kid? You’re not getting out of here alive.”

I was out of ideas now. I was sure I’d stalled them for a minute now. Pyro had to hurry.

“Do you guys like ice cream?” I said, trying not to scream and run for my life. “I heard it’s a nice treat people used to eat back then. People are trying to remake it�"”

“I’ve had enough of this,” the first one growled. He got ready to fire the trigger, and I thought I saw a sharp beam of red light pointed at my head. 

“Wait!” I said, thinking of random stuff. “Maybe I can help you guys work here. What do you do?”

“Guard this entrance,” he said. “I’ve killed fifty-three stupid people who tried to get through here. One more will be added. Now�"”

“Fifty-three people?” I said, trying to keep calm. “Pssh, yeah right, and I’m a secret spy who wants to come in here, disable the Archive defences, go in there with an Ant, destroy your Infinity Core, and repair the Alliance. Dumb, don’t you think?No, no, I just want to help. I want to be part of the Ant community.”

I actually didn’t put any truth into those last words, but saying them made me feel a bit honest. The Ants were amazing, and I wanted to save them. If we repaired the Alliance, maybe they could teach us a few things.

“A human can’t join us,” the second one snapped. “Especially not one like you. I’m done with this.”

I had to resist the urge to dodge the red beam pointed at my head, because that would give them the sign I wasn’t peaceful. But the truth was, I was really scared. May was on the other side of the room now, since the guards advanced on me and didn’t see her. Apparently the turrets didn’t see her either. 

“Don’t shoot!” I said. “I’m valuable! I can help! I’ve got skills! By the way, it was amazing how your race found out about our secret generator. How did you do that?”

“Classified,” first one said. “I don’t even know. It blew up without our help anyway. Heard it was some obnoxious bunch of kids who were messing around with the plant. One died, I think.”

I smiled. Good, I was making talk with them.
“Do you guys have one of your own?” I asked, although I already knew. “Or maybe multiple?”

I thought I saw them having surprised looks, but it vanished as quickly as it came. “We ain’t telling you nothing, kid.” the second said. “Now, we’ll make a deal with you. Since you’re so bright, even when near death, We’ll let you go. You won’t survive out there anyway. On the count of three. Ore else you die. One… two…”

I was running out of time. But amazingly, out of pure luck, right when he said three the turrets shut down with a loud blackout noise, like a failing generator. The Ants whirled around, saying “What the�"”, before May threw an electro-cution disc at one of them, and the Ant crumpled to the floor  steaming with not even a yell, with lightning bolts arcing around his body.

Just as fast, I took my stun-gun out of my holster under my cloak and pointed it at the other guard’s chest, saying, “Surprise!” before I fired and he fell with a shocked look.

The turrets didn’t fire at us, which made me relieved. 

“That was amazing!” May hugged me. “Nobody but you could stall Ants that long. How did you do that?”

“Luck, I guess.” I shrugged. “Or maybe they were nice. We have to hurry. Pyro, do you copy…”

A static noise came across the com before Pyro responded. “Success. I have to get in now. You guys take the guard’s ID’s and walk in the facility. You don’t need a disguise. Just wear the ID’s, walk through the gateway, and throw them back to the guards at the other side. Don’t need to cause suspicion if you don’t have to. I’ll tell you when I’ve reached the maintenance room safely. You guys have to disable the defence system before I start the hacking process.”

“Okay,” I said, looking at May. “Let’s go.”

























15: White Death

Something really bothered me from what just happened back at the entrance. I thought about it as we ran through the hallways of the facility.

One of them had said, Our races will never stand by each other’s side ever again. It’s a hopeless dream.

It had discouraged me so badly, I almost wanted to cry right there. Was it true? Was I really following my path blindly, leading a team of blind friends?

I’d always thought that was never true. My parents had told me, no matter how bad a situation is, it could always be fixed. There’s always a way. Always a choice.

I’ve led my whole life to believe that. But still realization crept to me. Was I really the only one who thought it could be repaired? Did our races really hate each other so much we would never share a planet again? Just because of one big mistake? One that I don’t understand?

The vial in my pocket grew heavier. It all depended on me. And this vial, whatever could it do? Cure a disease, I guess. But would that really help to save the Alliance? Maybe because of the bomb. Maybe saving the Ants from extinction was why this vial was so heavily dependent on. Yeah, that must be it. That had to be it. But something told me that’s not why this cure was made. Everybody was counting on me to stop the bomb. To stop our extinction. To teach the General that this war would tear our world apart, because of the one bomb he doesn’t realize is our doom. To tell him he was blinded by anger, anger to the Ants, anger that his son died, so he had a reason to launch our extinction. I had to stop the bomb, and I couldn’t depend on the vial to fix it if I didn’t. It was useless once it was launched. We couldn’t possibly make replicas of it once the disease started spreading. Or stop the eruption. Besides, I had made the oath.

So why do I feel like it’s still so important? 

The scientist spent his life to create it. He wouldn’t have done that for nothing. And he wasn’t crazy. When I looked into those sad, old eyes, it told me that this vial, the thing in my pocket, was our last hope. Not the bomb. The bomb wasn’t our last hope, it was our last creation. Because then the earth would be a rotten, devastated environment never able to be capable of sustaining life again.

I couldn’t bring myself to imagine a desolate wasteland. Not when I had a mission and I needed one hundred percent focus.

May had stopped at an intersection of hallways. She put a finger to her mouth, telling me to stay silent.

I heard talking around the corner. Ants. 

I decided to use hand signals, because that’s what Jake would want. I showed May a finger man walking around a corner, then my hand turning into a gun and firing, then�"

She smacked me at the back of my head. “Just tell me what you’re saying.”

I sighed. Nobody understood that kind of language. “Just get them.”

We rounded around the corner. May fired another disc and took one out, and I stunned the other. They fell silently to the floor, and I felt a little bit guilty.

“I like doing this,” May said as if she mentally disagreed with me, kicking one of them in the arm.

“Stop that,” I said. “Move on. Signs say the system control room is that way.”

“Okay. Stay quiet. They’re probably watching through cameras right now.”

I looked around the ceiling nervously, looking for them. I found none, but still I felt a little unsettling. How did Pyro not think of that? Did he know they didn’t have cameras or something?

It didn’t matter, because no guards were coming after us. And May didn’t care. She trudged on to find the room, and I followed.

“So much corridors,” she muttered, with her gun drawn. “Feels like the Archives to me.”

“You’ve never been there,” I said. “Plus, the signs say that way.”

“Um…”

“We’re lost, aren’t we?”

She nodded. “Try contacting Pyro.”

“He’s busy,” I said. “Busy whacking out guards and finding his own way into his room. Now, let’s see…”

I grabbed a pen from a worker’s shirt pocket and tapped it against the walls of each hallway, listening for sound.

“What are you doing?” May asked. 

“Seeing which ones lead to a dead end,” I said.

“How does that help us?”

“I dunno. It was just an idea.”

“There should be a map of this place,” she grumbled. “The counter probably had one. Pyro probably has one. You want to check?”

I contacted him. A crackle sounded, and then I heard Pyro whacking people and panting heavily. “Made it, guys!”

“Do you have a map?” I asked Pyro. “We’re lost.”

“I’ll use the cameras in the control room to guide you.” He 

was still breathing heavily. “Yes, I do have a map. But there’s probably one in the control room anyway. I’ll guide you.”

“You didn’t tell us there were cameras,” I said, smiling. “What a jerk.”

“I figured I’d stop anybody from getting to you guys while I made it to the control room,” he said. “But luckily no one saw you. Good job.”

May snickered. I said, “Pyro, you little�"”

“I’m here, okay?” I could tell he was trying not to laugh as well. “Hmm… let’s see, you guys are on the right floor. Of course, because of my amazing skills of knowing stuff…”

May gave a half-suppressed laugh. “You were lucky, you�"”

“Turn right,” he said. “Then left. Then right again. Then�"ugh, I don’t know anymore. You guys can find it when you get there.”

I smiled as we started walking. “Thanks, dude. Try to wait until we get there when we’re done our job.”

“I’ll try to wait.”

I turned off the com and we followed Pyro’s misleading directions. 

“Clueless Ant,” May said. 

“I know,” I said. “I don’t think this is the right way.”

“Maybe it is,” she replied. “Down the hallway. I think I can read the words.”

I raised an eyebrow. “You can?”

“Twenty-twenty vision,” she explained.

“Unfair.”

“Hurry, before anybody spots us.”

We walked quickly down the hall with our guns still in our hands. The door to the room wasn’t locked, and it was manned by only one person. Before the Ant could even realize what was happening and finish a scream, we quickly dispatched her with one click of my trigger. 

We dragged the employee out of the room so we could destroy the room without harming her. It had a generator that covered the entire room which was covered by a light, thin shield of blue energy. A maintenance panel was attached to it. I started tapping random buttons on it, hoping it would do something.

“This isn’t working,” I told May. “Now what?”

“Pyro said burn the place down,” she said. “I’m guessing not literally, because then the whole building would be done. Just smash the generator.”

“It’s shielded.”

“Smash the shield.”

I blasted a couple of rounds at it. No such luck.

“The panel,” May said. I found out what she was up to. The panel attached to the shield went through it. With May’s help, we pulled it out with all our strength, and it clattered to the floor. There was now an open spot in the shield.

I blasted my gun through the hole, making a few dents and sparking it with electricity. Soon a red warning sign showed up in a screen above the generator. Error, disabled.

“Okay,” I said, panting. “Done.”

Suddenly, an alarm sound went off, and the room’s lights flashed and blinked, with sparks flying all over the place.

“Uh-oh,” May said. “What did we do?”

The alarm wasn’t just in our room. It resonated throughout the entire facility.

We went outside. Red lights flashed, and the alarm didn’t stop. I contacted Pyro.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I think the defences system has an alarm when it’s disabled.” I said. “You’ve got to hurry, quick. Then we have to get out of here.”

“Okay. I’ve already put the device into the control room panel in the wall. I’ll contact the guards back in the chopper to start their job, after I tell you one thing you need to know: the alarm will alert every person in the building. Be careful, guys. Get somewhere safe.”

May and I exchanged worried glances. “Okay, Pyro. Tell us when you’re done.”

“I see them on the cameras,” Pyro said. “Hurry, guys! Hide somewhere!”

I turned off the com quick and May and I raced through the hallways. The red lights flashed, giving the facility hallways a shade of blood red. I heard yelling around the corners of hallways, guards saying, “Freeze!” or, “Stop right there!” We turned a different direction every time we heard them.

Once, we got surrounded in a dead end. The only option was to hide in one of the rooms.

I kicked open a door to a big room, and had my gun ready. Luckily it was an empty office room, and we went in. I locked the door shut. 

“That’s our only way out,” May told me.

“I know. But they’re outside. We wait until Pyro busts us out, right?”

“I guess,” May said, having a nervous look. 

A moment later I heard banging on the door, and I flinched. The guards were right outside the door, knowing we were here. We had no way out.

“Uh-oh,” I said. “We have to get out of here.”

“We have to take care of them,” May said, pulling out her 

stun-gun. “Get to the wall beside the door and flatten yourself. When they come in, we attack.”

I did as she said. The banging got louder, until finally the bolt got busted and the guards ran in. As each one of them came into the room, May and I on the sides fired our firearms at them, each one crumpling as they entered and landing in a big pile front of the door.

“Woo!” May said. “Nice. Imagine if these weapons are lethal.”

“They’re not,” I said. “Now come on.”

We left the guards there and ran through the endless hallways once again. Guards filed out from around a corner of a hallway, but I reacted quicker. I fired each one in the chest before they could do anything. 

“We have to find Pyro,” I told May. I checked my gun. “Also, I think I’m out.”

“I’m not. Here.” She handed me her gun.

“What about you?” 

“I’m fine. Keep moving. They’ll find us eventually.”

“Take one of the guards’ weapons,” I suggested.

“Now, those ones are probably lethal,” she said. “Plus, I told you, I’m fine. Let’s go.”

I smiled, thinking that May maybe cared a little bit for the Ants if she didn’t want to kill them. 

We kept walking through the hallways aimlessly, occas-ionally walking into some guards, but quickly stunning them to the ground.

“It can’t be this easy, can it?” May said. 

“No,” I agreed. “They don’t seem to be too hard on us. If this is one of their most secured facilities, it sure is easy to break in with careful planning.”

She smiled. “I feel like a criminal. Don’t you?”

“I don’t want to be a criminal,” I said. “Even though I know I will be, once they find out my intentions just like the scientist. And I probably already am, because of what happened to Jake.”

“Why? You didn’t do that.” she said. 

“You’re right, it’s�"”

“Not his fault either,” she said. “From what you guys told me, he made a sacrifice. Now, where is our little Ant friend?”

I decided to contact him. He came on already talking to me. “I’m done,” he said. “You guys are close. I’ll find you. Just�"hold on a sec. I’ll be right there.”

“The Archive defences are down?” I asked him.

“Won’t be working any time soon,” he huffed. “Mission accomplished. Now, there’s a place where no guards will find you. Ventilation shaft under you guys. Follow my directions to the room. Stay there until I find you guys.”

“What about you, Pyro?” May asked. “Are you sure�"”

“I’ll be fine,” he said. “Stay in the room, and I’ll get out of here and find you guys, then we take the elevator up to the bridge and run away as fast as we can. Can’t let them catch us. How’re you guys doing?”

“We’re fine,” I said, opening a panel I found on the floor and busting it open. “Meet you wherever this shaft leads.”

I turned off the com and we slid down the shaft. It went vertical for a few seconds, like a waterslide, then we landed on our rears on the hard, concrete ground.

“Ow!” May said. “Could’ve warned us.”

We were in some sort of underground chamber. A huge one, too. Giant liquid tanks line up against the walls. Pipes and shafts were everywhere, with workers. We hid behind one of the high pipes that covered the both of us. The whole underground room was warm, and had an orange hue coming from the glowing tanks filled with strange orange liquid. 

“What is this place?” May whispered to me.

I shrugged. “We have to wait,” I said. “Could take hours. The facility is big. Pyro also has to fight his way through the security.”

She relaxed and slumped down on the pipe. “It’s so hot in here,” she said. “Wonder what those tanks are generating? Lava?”

The moment she said that word a sudden realization swept over me, like a sack of rice hitting my face. 

“Their generator,” I breathed, and May got a confused look.

“What?”

“That’s why those guards looked surprised when I said that,” I said. “They know it’s down here. They have their own secret generator, right here.”

Her jaw dropped. “You mean�"”

“Yes, I mean their own secret generator. We can’t wait forever for Pyro. Come on, we have to check this out.”

The heat of the room stung my eyes so badly, I shielded them. It was so dark we decided to put on the headlight bands that Pyro gave us.

We crawled around the pipes hiding from the workers and watched them tend to the generators or pull levers to extract the energy.

“This is so cool,” May said. “We have to destroy it, don’t we?”

I shook my head. “Not again. We’re already destroying their core anyway. Let’s leave this one.”

“We have to at least tell the military,” she said. “They attacked us, so we could give them this location and leave the Ants wondering where we got their information. I mean, I’m sure the only way they knew about our secret generator was a spy, right?”

It dawned on me what she meant. “No, not him, he’s�"”

“No!” She rolled her eyes. “He’s not what I meant and you know that. He’s trustworthy. Even I trust him. I meant real Ant spies, like that crazy Ant. There could be more like him, passing information to the Ants. I mean, look how easily we entered this city, which was supposed to be their most important one. Ants could sneak in our cities too, right under our noses.”

“That’s why I think the person who creates those illegal deception devices should�"”

“That doesn’t matter. The Ants would get in anyway. They’ve been outsmarting us in this war. No argument about that. They’re more intelligent. Master strategists. They’ve always been smart as a hive. With their evolution, of course they’d be better than us. The military shouldn’t have just issued an order to kill every Ant in our continents, they should’ve also issued random check-ups every day to check every citizen in our countries. Any one of them could be a spy. You could hide your face really easily, and nobody would get suspicious.”

  The thought of the Ant families living in our continents being visited by the military and realizing it wasn’t a friendly visit before it was too late… haunted me. That wasn’t right. Even if they committed so many crimes. It wasn’t right to kill innocent people. No matter the wrongs their race made.

“That’s horrible,” I said, mostly to myself than what May said.

“I know, right?”

“But the crazy Ant was the scientist’s apprentice,” I 

protested. “He wasn’t a spy if the scientist trusted him.”

“He killed himself so he wouldn’t give information. Definitely not a spy.”

“He thought we were some sort of military team. He was just trying to protect the scientist. He knew he was a wanted man.”

“Could be true. But he didn’t believe in the scientist. You may be right�"not that it’s poison, but maybe it won’t work. But still, we have to try.”

“What makes you think that?”

“I’ve seen cordyceps, Nix. I know what the disease could do. Back in my hometown�"” She shook her head. “Forget about it. I still have nightmares.”

“What?” I was so curious. “Tell me the story.”

“Fine. In my hometown, I knew someone with a bad case of it. Back then people called it the White Death, because it was kind of like the Black Death. The Ants carried the disease, just like the rats back in the old ages. And the infected had pure milky white eyes before they died, so I guess that’s why it’s the White Death. It was a hard time for my town. Police with shotguns came to restrain him. He was insane. He had a murderous look in his eyes, too. The police almost couldn’t stop him. Then, I don’t know what happened, but suddenly the mayor knew that he had no chance. They shot him. They said if they didn’t he would cause fear and panic everywhere. And, I was actually there when I saw what the disease did to him before they realized he was beyond help. It was… terrible. Never want to see something like it again in my life.”

Her eyes began to water, but I was just too curious. I pushed her to tell me what happened after.

“The mayor got scared. He turned our town into a bacteria-

free zone. Ordered random check-ups. Doctors were busy. And the whole town shared the fear, too. And Nix, what the disease did to the man, I can’t even explain. It just... it just looks like something you can’t cure. That’s why I doubt that vial would work.”

I felt sad for her. I remembered Pyro’s explanation about what it did to you, but it was long ago and I didn’t hang on to what he said about it. I racked my brain trying to remember, but I must’ve not been listening at the time.

“It was worse when they came,” she said, and I knew exactly what she meant. “I’ve always said the town had the rottenest luck. I wasn’t wrong. Not at all.”

“May, I’m so sorry�"”

“You don’t have to be. And the death and misery is over now. For us, at least. That’s why my whole life I wanted to stop the war, and I especially got excited when I heard that somebody created a cure for the disease. It’s just… horrible. I … I can’t even think about it.”

Tears started falling down her cheeks, but I still wanted to know more. Why was she so broke at what had happened? What did happen that was so terrible? Suddenly I remembered Pyro's words: the fungus ripped through your skull and sprouted out of your head. But I’ve maybe heard of worse things than that. Diseases that turned your body rotten. Some that made you shed blood. They were disgusting, and I understood how a parasitic fungus would be disgusting if it sprouted out of your head too, but May seemed so sad at the old story. She was terrified. There was something more to what it did to you. Like, something internal. But what?

“Are you sure you don’t want to tell me?” I asked her.

She nodded. “You wouldn’t want to know. Especially if it 

infected somebody you loved.”

I didn’t know what she meant by that. I hoped I would never find out anyway. I had the cure, in my pocket right now, actually, and I knew with it I would never see what May had saw in my life�"unless I didn’t get it to the military.

The heat was making me soak through my suit. It stung my eyes, even when I closed them, and they started to water.

“Can’t stay here,” I muttered. “Come on, we’ll find Pyro ourselves.”

She tugged my arm. “Look.”

It wasn’t anything exciting, just workers coming in with crates of weapons and loading them nearby so they could charge them.

“I wonder what this is,” I said, looking at one of the big orange tanks in the room. I had a desire to touch it, but I had a feeling my finger would become seared.

“Whatever it is, it’s too hot.” May said. “Let’s try to find Pyro.”

We crept around the pipes looking for an exit, but there wasn’t one unguarded or open for us, except for the shaft we came through.

“For all we know, he doesn’t even know where we are.” I said. “Try the com.”

All we heard through the com was crackling. It died off, but Pyro didn’t speak through it.

“Uh-oh,” I said, starting to worry. “You think he turned it off?”

“Nah, just bad connection.” she said. “We’re underground. Now, why don’t we try climbing in one of the ventilation shafts again?”

“That one,” I pointed. “Then we contact Pyro. I think he

 might be lost.”

We climbed in the vent unspotted. It was a huge shaft. We took a maintenance ladder upwards, until the heat from the generator room was gone. We climbed onto a ledge in the shaft and rested there for a few minutes.

May tried for Pyro again. “Pyro, do you copy?”

Blank.

“Maybe they got him,” I said. “We have to go�"”

“Not yet,” she said. “At the least, let’s rest. Wait it out a bit more.”

I didn’t like it, but I agreed. We slumped against the wall and stared at the floor waiting for Pyro to come back online.

I reloaded my gun with more energy pellets. I cocked it and put in in my holster. 

“What do you think happened to him?” I asked.

“I dunno.”

“We shouldn’t be waiting here.”

“I know, I know.”

I heard a rotor spinning nearby. Probably the ventilation fan to recycle the air underground. I didn’t know how we would get out of here. And Pyro didn’t know where we were, too. 

She sighed. “Did you really mean that, back there? You wanted to be part of the Ant community?”

“What do you think?” I asked her.

“Maybe…”

“Of course not,” I said. “Because I’m human. And Pyro said support your own race no matter what they did. I don’t think I could ever be an Ant.”

“Yeah, of course not. But the way you said those words…”

“Hey, don’t worry about it. It was just to stall them, okay? No truth behind it. I don’t want to end up like Pyro, my race 

thinking I’m a traitor.”

“Okay,” she said. “Back then when we were little, you said you liked the Ants.”

“I was seven,” I said. “And to this day I still don’t hate the Ants as much as everybody else. I find them fascinating, like the scientist. But I don’t think they’re creatures. I think of them as actual people.”

“I don’t care how cool they are. I just want them to all go away. This is our planet.”

“Now, hold on a sec�"”

“I don’t care! I don’t even know why they attacked us. Maybe you’re right. They were here before us and they want to keep it that way. They want to rid us of this earth. And they knew they have the power. I don’t even know what’s holding us up these days anymore. We’re as good as dead. They won the war already. I have a feeling.”

“How do you know?” I asked.

“You’ve seen them attack,” she said. “But not raid. My hometown was super protected by the military, because it was the furthest one to the coast. And they just barged in and took everything. Nothing was left. All the soldiers died on the battlefield. I ran as soon as I saw them coming. You wouldn’t believe how fast they did it. And it wasn’t even that far from the central city. It was the same downtown that was close to you, too. They could be attacking that right now, and everywhere around it.”

“So you’re saying�"” No. I couldn’t think about it. They weren’t there yet. They wouldn’t attack so far inland already. They hadn’t arrived yet, I just had a feeling, because five years passed since May’s town was destroyed and I had still been living in that house. Until I went off on my journey. 

“Oh no,” I said. “You could be right. But�"”

“Let’s hope I’m not, okay?” she said. “I’m probably wrong. Five years passed and they hadn’t made a move here yet.”

“What about other places?” I asked. “What’s happening around the world? I stopped watching the News when I was six,

because of that first attack that still haunts me to this day. I don’t know what’s happening.”

“To be honest, me neither.” she replied. “I’ve stopped watching the TV overall. Did my best to study in my house because I thought if this war ever stopped, I could grow up a normal life once and for all.”

“They’ve surely taken the small continents,” I said. “And we haven’t stopped that. We haven’t done anything yet, actually. Except blow up one of the military’s generators, making Jake’s dad really angry, and failing to tell them that it was a peace sign. That we didn’t want them to make any more weapons.”

“You can’t possibly hope to stop an attack on a continent.” she said. “You’ve always pushed yourself too hard. If you want my advice, don’t. Never push yourself beyond your limits. If you know you couldn’t have stopped an attack, then you couldn’t.”

“And here you’re not believing in me either,” I said. “Wow, thanks.”

“I mean, stop worrying when they attack us.” she said. “You’ll just get more worried, but nobody’s even blaming you. Just focus on stopping the war, so you don’t have to experience any more of it.”

“I wish it were that easy,” I said. “But you know me. When an attack happens, I know it’s my fault. Because I’m not working fast or hard enough. All the people who dies, I know it’s by my hand, because I know I had the chance to stop it. If only I worked faster. If only taking a trip to the Archives was as easy as you can say it. All the deaths, it’s my fault because both races are counting on me, even if they don’t know it.”

“We won’t tear this world apart, Nix. You know that’s a lie. The world can always heal itself, just like the Alliance. You still 

have a chance no matter how long you take�"”

“Unless everybody dies.” I said. “There. I said it. And then, it would really be my fault.”

We were silent for a long time. I felt really guilty, but I didn’t know why. Maybe because I knew that everybody was counting on me. Them counting on me was one thing, knowing it was another. Knowing it would make me know that I had to work harder and faster, because everybody’s life was at risk. Everybody. Even my parents, my brother, my home. They were counting on me to stop the war, because they knew I could. I had the biggest lead anybody has ever had. Even though I lost a friend while I was at it. 

I couldn’t bear to think of Jake. I knew his death was my fault. Even if everybody didn’t think so, I knew that I didn’t work try hard enough to stop his death. And if I didn’t try at all, everybody would have the same fate.

I locked eyes with May for a moment, but looked away knowing that she was depending on me too.

“You’ve always pushed yourself too hard,” she said once again.

“I know, I know. But I have to keep pushing harder. To my limits. I won’t take your terrible advice. It sounds more like, give up when you know you have no chance. And that’s not something I want to do. I will never give up. Even if I know it’s impossible, and even if the Eternity Hall confirms it too. I still won’t give up, because at least I died knowing I tried my very

 best, right?”

“Nobody’s going to die,” She winced, and I knew we were both thinking of Jake. “Nobody else.”

“Ever wish you could rewind time?” I asked, then I knew it was a stupid question because of what happened to her parents.

“Yeah,” she said. “You know that.”

“The Eternity Hall will know how, if it’s possible. I have to�"”

“Don’t you dare go there,” she said, sounding on the verge of tears. 

“Why?” I asked.

She thought for a moment. “I’ll lose you.”

“I won’t go there,” I said. “I promise.”

“You suck at keeping promises.”

“I know what Pyro told me. Go there, and you’ll find out there’s no point in living, like that Ant who ventured into the Hall himself. I know that once I go there, yeah, you will lose me. Everybody will, because even if I made it out I’l feel so depressed I couldn’t live anymore. I may have wanted to go there, but now I understand what you guys are trying to tell me. I might not die, but to you guys I will. It would be the same thing.” It made me depressed just thinking about going in there. “I won’t go. For you guys.”

She nodded. “You have to complete the mission anyway. You can’t let anything stop you from that. And I know how determined you are. The only thing that can stop you from achieving your dream is that Hall. It will take out your will to survive. I repeat, don’t go in there.”
“I won’t.”

“Good.” She relaxed. “Nobody should. Nobody could handle that much knowledge. Sometimes I think, that whoever put us here, if there’s even a someone at all, that maybe he or she put us here with no knowledge of why for a reason. Maybe we just can’t handle what’s really going on in the cosmos. We’re just not ready for it. We’d be terrified.”

“You’re scaring me,” I said.

“Am I?” she laughed. “It’s stuff to think about when you’re really curious. But never wish to actually find out. Maybe you really will be scared. Or depressed. Either way, you’ll lose the will to live, no matter how strong you are. The knowledge is just too overpowering.”

“Not for the Queen.”

“I don’t know how she managed it, okay? Nobody’s even met her anyway. She could be a legend. Heck, this whole mass consciousness hive mind voodoo magic could be a whole legend anyway. Like, portals and space? Whispers in your ear created from not necessarily anything? Maybe it really could be from the Queen, because she knows how to do anything in the universe. Maybe she even has a connection to the celestial beings who created this universe. Or to other beings like her that created a way to find answers of the universe from all over space. She probably does, you know, and she knows a bajillion other planets with civilizations like us pondering at why we could be here.”

“Now I want to go there,” I said.

“Don’t.”

“I’m kidding.”

“It’s not a joke. It could really destroy you.”

“You better not go there too,” I said. “Next thing you know, it whispers a way to get your parents back. Then you’ll be really tempted.”

“I won’t either,” she promised. “I know what Pyro said. It 

never directs you the way you want to go. I know it would be lying.”

“Or, it technically wouldn’t be.” I told her. “You don’t want to go to the Hall, right? So what if it directs you there? Because that’s the way you don’t want to go.”

“You could be right. But I’ll still refuse the offer.”

“We’re overthinking this,” I said. “Pyro said he’d hold us so if we tried to follow in a different direction, we couldn’t escape his grasp, no matter how much we pleaded with him.”

“Why?” she asked. “It’s not like he doesn’t have the whispers in his head like us.”

“He’s an Ant. He can lead us. I’m sure. Maybe you’re wrong.”

“Maybe I’m wrong? You don’t remember the tale about the Ant who found the Eternity Hall? He was driven insane. How could the Ants be any less affected than us?”

“I dunno. You’re right. But are you doubting�"”

“No, of course not. I believe Pyro can lead us. He’s been leading us already. He planned this whole mess.”

“Yeah. We don’t even know where he is.” My mind went back to reality when I said that. “Oh yeah, we don’t know where he is! Come on, we have to find him! We can’t waste time. He hasn’t found us yet. And his com’s still not working.”

“Let’s go,” she agreed. We got up and dusted our clothes, then walked through the shaft hallway. 

We got to the fan I’d heard earlier. And just as I feared, we had no way to get past it. We didn’t even know where it lead.         “Wish we had some sort of spy laser to cut through it.” May said. “What now?”

I tried to think. There were two shafts leading from where we were, but we had to crawl because it was narrower.

“Right or left?” I asked her.

“Right’s always right.”

“Come on, help me with it.”

We each grabbed an end of the vent and pulled. It was old and dusty, and the bolts popped right off with loud snaps. May crawled in first.

It was hard to breathe in the shaft. Our headlights provided light. We crawled on for what seems like hours, sometimes turning, not seeming to get anywhere. Until we hit a vent under us, that was from a ceiling. We heard commotion below, shouting and whacking, but we couldn’t really see down there. 

I heard a familiar voice down there though. 

“Pyro’s down there,” I said. “We have to go down.”

May whacked the vent, and it fell down to the floor with a crash. We jumped down one by one.

Two guards were against Pyro. We landed behind them, and May took one out while I blasted an energized bolt to another’s back, and he fell to the ground.

“Whoa!” Pyro said. “Where’d you guys come from?”

“Never mind about that,” I said. “Why’s your com not working?”

“I lost it while I fought,” he explained. “Come on, we have to get out of here.”

“Yeah. Know the way?”

“Should be that door,” he said.

“You don’t know the way, do you?”

He sighed. “No.”

“We’ll find our own way,” May said. “Come on.”

We spent a ton of time hiding inside rooms and running through the hallways. It felt like the Archives to me. A couple of times we had to fight. One time we hid inside a room, waited 

until they passed us, and went on in the same direction.

We rested on a wall when we were tired. The red alarm lights were still flashing, telling everybody in the facility there were invaders in a restricted area.

“I’m out of breath,” I told Pyro. “Are you sure they can’t just fix what we did and reactivate the defence systems of the Archives?” 

“Yes.” He reloaded his gun. “We have time to get in there. Don’t worry.”

“How are we going to get out of here?” May asked. “Everybody in the building knows we’re here. In all the floors. We won’t make it to the bridge.”

“Then we’ll take the elevators,” Pyro said. “To the lobby. We just have to get past that, then we make a mad dash into the streets, hide from them, and make it back to the wall and to the chopper.”

“Seems kind of impossible,” I said. “When we don’t even know where we’re going.”

“Relax,” Pyro said. “I scanned a map of the facility when I was in the control room. It should be here somewhere… aha!”

He opened up a holographic display of the facility.

“You had that this whole time,” May said. “Where do we go?”

“No time.” Pyro shut it off quickly. “My antennas are sensing guards coming here soon. We better get going. Don’t worry, I took a good long look at the map. I now know where we’re going.”

“Do you now?” I asked. “Well then, lead us.”

“This way.” He led us to a hallway. 

“Big place,” I muttered. “Are you sure this is the right way? It doesn’t feel like it.”

“It is,” he said. “I’m sure.”

I wasn’t so sure. I felt like we were getting deeper and deeper into the facility.

It took a few minutes. We ran through the marble hallways forever. 

It was until we got into a big, cool room. I barely had enough time to recognize the details because once we came in through the doors, the lights shut off, and I heard a whack, pop, pow!

The next thing I knew, I was in a headlock. May was screaming from somewhere far away from me, but it was dark. 

I heard Pyro straining against his capturers. I knew we’d been tricked. They intercepted us here and we fell right into it.

The Ant who held me was choking me, so I couldn’t yell back at the others. I tried escaping his grasp, but it was no use. He was an Ant, I was a human.

“Gurgle… ugh!” I finally squirmed free enough for me to speak. “May!”

“Nix!” she screamed. “They’ve got me!”

“Me too!” I followed the sound of her voice, but it was no use with an Ant on me. He grabbed my headlamp, even though I couldn’t turn it on, and squeezed it in his palm. The light popped, and sparks flew everywhere. For a moment, I saw the field. 

Pyro was struggling against two Ants. I didn’t know how he could be pushing back against them, since there were two of them, but I hoped he would. May was on the other side of the room. I calculated five metres. She was surrounded by them, unlike us. Half a dozen were around her, coming at me, one restraining her.

“Nix!” she called again. 

“Shut yer mouth ya filthy mutt!” one of them yelled at her.

“Hey!” I managed. “Let her go!”

“You know about our generator,” another snarled in the darkness. “What makes you think we’ll let you go back to your precious home?”

For a scary moment, I thought he meant our chopper. But I realized he was talking about our continent.

I kept following the sound of their voices. My eyes finally adjusted to the darkness. I made faint outlines of hem. 

“Ergh�"” I squirmed my arm free from the grasp of the Ant holding me. Luckily I still had my weapon in my holster. I grabbed it, jabbed it against his leg, and fired.

He screamed in pain, but barely let go of me. I used that moment to push back against him with all my weight, and I slammed him against a wall.

I shot him one more time for good measure. The high pitch blast lit up the room. I had a second to see where everything was again. 

Pyro was the closest. He was firing his sting at his attackers, lighting them up one by one. It seemed like they weren’t affected that much. I started to run to him, but he yelled, “I’m fine! Get May!”

I dashed madly to where I heard her voice. I ran blindly, and I bumped into one of them.

Before he could react, I shot him a couple of times in the chest.

Click. I was out. 

“Nix!” May yelled from somewhere else. “I’m over here!”

I whirled my head in that direction. I threw my gun, because I didn’t know what else to do. My heart was racing. I had to find her quick, or else they’d take her away.

My gun clattered somewhere on the floor, echoing around the room. May yelped when it did, but it came from another direction, close to where I threw it.

I saw their faint outlines. I saw maybe four of them coming at me, and one holding May, dragging her.

“No!” I said. 

They were coming closer. I could barely see them. How was I supposed to get past them?

“How can you guys see me?” I said, trying to distract them and maybe find their advantage.

“Myrmecia, boy. What else?”

I tried to remember what Myrmecia Ants were. It came to me almost suddenly.

“Bull Ants,” I muttered. “You guys have night vision.”

“It’s not really night vision, kid. We just have a way of telling where everything is in a room. Now shut up, and stay put!”

I did the exact opposite of their request. I couldn’t see them, and I thought I made some distance around them. That was until one grabbed me from behind and yanked me back.

“No!” I said. “Get away from me!”

I didn’t have any defences left. Until I remembered something Pyro told me. Trust me, you’ll be safer with it.

My knife. I felt around my thigh for it, and found it still strapped. I couldn’t imagine running with it still on me, but apparently I managed to not stab myself.

I slipped it out. With all my final strength, I sliced down and it cut a clean gash on the Ant’s chest. At least, that’s what I thought it did. 

He yelled in fury. I knew I should’ve stabbed it, but I just didn’t have the heart to do it.

“I’ll get you for that!” he yelled, but I was already running.

“Nix!” May said. “You’re close! I’m over�"mmph!”

“May!” I said. “Where are you?”

Someone gagged her. I had to find her without help.

I started for the last spot I heard her voice, but she had moved, again.

I growled in frustration. How could we have gotten into this mess? So quickly, too!

I ran around, hoping to bump into the one holding her.

I had luck on my side. My eyes saw a dark outline of an Ant, holding May. I slammed into him, but it was no use. He wasn’t fazed. Instead, I was blown back.

He laughed a malicious, evil laugh. “That all you got, kid?”

I hated bullies. Maybe I didn’t have a lot at the school I used to go, but I knew about the war. The Ants bullied the humans. They would gang up on us, like now. They liked to show us who had the most power. 

I was seeping with anger. Right now, I wanted to show who had the most power. I was going to rip May out of his hands. 

I sheathed my dagger just in case I was going to hurt May. But before I could charge, one of them grabbed me by the neck, and my spine tingled. The Ant squeezed tighter.

“Augh!” I yelled. 

“Nix! What happened?” May said.

“Hold on! I’ll get you back!”

I was reaching out to grab something, maybe the Ant that had May. I found that she was doing the same thing, because I found her hand.

“Don’t let go!” I said.

“It’s no use!” she said. “Nixy, I’m sorry.”

“What?” I asked nervously. “No!”

“Thank you for everything,” she said. “Destroy that core! Don’t fail me! And whatever you do, don’t even think about going into the Eternity Hall.”

“You’re not going anywhere, May.” I said.

The Ant was holding me back now. I could barely keep our grasp. 

“Stop the bomb, Nix.” she said, and I could tell the next words was harder to say. “Good… bye.”

“NO!” I didn’t listen to her. I pulled with all my strength, but the Ant yanked her out of my grasp, and dragged her in the infinite darkness.

I was yelling. Out of anger. I grabbed hold of my knife again and stabbed it this time, right in his leg, and I twisted it. I pushed as hard as I can with one hand.

His bellow in pain was so loud it echoed across the whole facility. I twisted harder. I pushed deeper. Until my dagger was so deep into his thigh, only the hilt stuck up. I gripped it and pulled it out, just so I could strike again.

“AUGH!” he shouted in pain. “AUGH!”

He shoved me away from him, with my knife still in my hand. I couldn’t see it, but I could tell it was stained with blood.

The Ant yelled some more and crumpled to his knees. I felt a sense of power and pride, but then I realized that wasn’t something to be proud about.

What have I done?

I couldn’t bear to think about how much pain he was in. I ran away and sheathed my dagger, swearing I’d never use it anymore. 

Pyro’s flames lit up the whole area of the room he was in. His blasts knocked them backwards, and they staggered, but they still keep advancing towards him.

No. I wasn’t going to lose him too.

I started for him, but he said, “No! Stay back!”

I felt a sense of dread. Another one of my friends protecting me, and he was about to die. 

One of the Ants charged at him, but he was ready like he planned for it to happen. At the last second he maneuvered out of the way, grabbed the Ant’s back and shoved him into the wall behind him. I knew he had a hard head, because it had cracked the wall.

Pyro shoved him back to his comrades, who stared at him on the floor groaning.

Pyro finished his work by smashing with one fist on the crack in the wall. Suddenly, the whole room trembled as it split open. Light instantly spread into the room, and it revealed the lobby with a ton of surprised people.

We weren’t far from the lobby at all. Pyro yelled, “Come on!”

We went straight through the hole and dashed straight for the elevator. The people were too shocked to stop us. Somewhere behind us, guards yelled, “Stop them!”

Pyro ripped open the elevator doors to reveal the shaft. Guards were running through the crowd, trying to get to us.

“No time!” he yelled. “Jump!”

I followed him this time. We jumped in the shaft, and we fell. 





16: Grieving

I felt my feet land on solid ground.

Faster than I expected. When I opened my eyes, we had landed on top of the elevator, moving upwards.

“Hold on to the bars on the floor!” Pyro yelled to me in the creaking mechanical noises that echoed through the shaft. 

I grabbed hold of them right before he drew his knife and slashed sideways, effectively slicing all the cords that held the elevator. I heard them snap one by one, and then some creaking. 

Then the elevator fell. I could barely hold on as I felt like I was stripped of gravity, like I was being lifted. I had a dreadful feeling I’d lose my grip, and the elevator would fall faster than I could, and I’d be left in the open air.

I heard endless creaking and mechanical grinding as we fell downwards with the elevator at supersonic speed. My eyes were shut tightly, but every once and a while I caught glimpses of yellow and orange sparks flying around the edges of our platform.

Never in my life had I done something this dangerous and… exciting. It felt like forever until we would reached the bottom, probably because it was a tall facility building.

The hot wind blasted around me, and I saw Pyro holding on for dear life too. My stomach churned as we went down and down the shaft.

Suddenly, Pyro yelled, “Jump!”

We both did it exactly when the elevator finally crashed to the ground with a big grinding noise. Sparks flew, and I was 

sure it was going to blow up, but it didn’t.

We were in the air for a few scary seconds, but we landed on the roof intact.

“Impact would’ve shocked us,” Pyro explained. “Now come on!”

We jumped off the elevator. He bashed through a main-tenance door in the shaft that led outside. 

It was dark. In the starless sky, the city was as busy as ever, with its bridges lit up in the night and filled with roaming people. Below, it was just as busy, with hordes of Ants and cars honking. The street lamps were on, too.

But I knew it was useless for us. We had to hide in the darkest paths, just because I was human. I put on my hood and slid my cap low on my face. 

Pyro was already running. I followed him through the park sidewalks, the streets, and the buildings. It felt like forever, and my feet were aching, but then he slowed down at a park, when we were far enough away from the facility where the guards would be searching for us. 

I was glad we stopped. There was nobody around too. I panted heavily and slumped myself on a bench, putting my face in my knees.

“May…” Pyro said. 

“Gone,” I said. “I can’t believe it.”

Pyro sat down too. “What happened?”

I didn’t plan on it, but my eyes filled with tears. Just hearing that name, it made me feel guilty.

“It’s my fault,” I said. “I did it. I should’ve�"”

“Hold on a sec, it wasn’t your fault.” he said. “They took her. You couldn’t have done anything to�"”

“No!” I said. “You don’t understand. I made a promise.”

“But you’re not good at�"”

“Yeah, I know.” I sniffled. “See? My fault.” 

His beady black eyes were full of sadness. We were silent for a moment. Then he said, “Maybe it was my fault, you know? I led you guys into a trap.”

It was almost like he meant it. “I failed her,” I said. “Said she would be kept safe. And now she’s gone. Dead, probably. Your race wouldn’t spare one of us.”

He looked up at the night sky. “Maybe they would.”

“I doubt it.”

“We can still find her,” he said. “Hope she’s not dead.”

“She is,” I said. “I dunno. Somehow I can feel it. We have to get back to the chopper.”

“Yeah,” he agreed. “Let’s not take the light bridges. If you want to try the subway…”

“Okay,” I agreed. “She’s not here. And I need to rest.”

“Station’s right over there,” he said. “I have money. Come on.”

The majority of the trip was spent in silence. Pyro said the subway wasn’t as crowded as usual. 

I sat there wondering how things went wrong and how I could’ve done things differently. If only Pyro found us before we found the generator. If only he told us there was an alarm when we took down the defence system.

“There was a generator down there,” I told him. “Where you told us to go to. There was a secret generator.”

“I know,” he said. “Uh, I mean, I should’ve known. Underground one of their most biggest facilities would be a great place to keep it, heavily protected. Your military thought they could make theirs a secret location, but they didn’t think that if the location was revealed then they couldn’t protect it.”

“So you guys chose security over secrecy,” I said.

“We’re master strategists.”

“I know. I don’t even know how we escaped that trap in that dark room. It was clever. Nobody would think of night vision Ants.”

“Yeah. We knew that to win against an equal force, you have to take out one of their most valuable sense: sight.”

“What do you mean, we?”

“I mean as a whole race,” he said quickly. “Because, you know. I’m an Ant too.”

I sighed. “Can you lead us through the Archives tomorrow?”

“Sure I can. Maybe. But don’t get your hopes down. Some people make it out alive.”

Some.” I smiled.

“Including us. I assure you. I can refuse anything in my head. I can probably navigate us easily. It’s you I’m worried about. And May… because, you know. What happened to her years ago. But now she’s…”

“I know,” I said sadly. I didn’t tell him, but I still felt like she was still alive, and I had to find her. She wasn’t dead yet, even if I told him that. And now I had another weakness the Eternal Archives could show me.

Pyro seemed to get that too. “Nix, the Archives has some pretty good illusion tricks to try out on you. Don’t believe anything, not one thing it shows or tells you. It never gives you the right path that you want.”

“I know, I know.” I said. “I’ve been told a billion times. But why do you keep talking like you’ve actually spent lots of time inside before?”

Pyro seemed to be in a state thinking whether he should tell me or not. He looked around to see if anybody was listening, 

then leaned in close.

“You know about the story I told you, of the guy who ventured into the Eternity Hall?”

“Yeah? What about it?”

He looked left and right one last time. “I’m the one who did that. That story was about me.”

My brain exploded. “No way.”

“Yes, Nix. It was a hard time in my life for me. I thought nobody believed in me. Not even my parents. One day, I really felt depressed. I didn’t know what to do. I thought I could go into the Archives and come back out. I dunno. I was desperate.”

“So you went in,” I said. “What happened?”

“The whispers were more tempting than I realized. I found myself going aimlessly… until I stumbled into the Eternity Hall.”

I shook his shoulders, my eyes wide. “What did it tell you?”

“Relax!” he said. “Nothing important. At the time, nobody knew about the Eternity Hall. When I was there, I felt a presence… it could’ve been the Queen. But anyway, it told me about the place I was in, how it contained knowledge of the whole universe. And it only allowed me one question. See, I wasn’t as curious as you. I knew my essence was fading away the longer I stayed there. So I asked how to get out.”

“Really?” I said. “How did you get out?”

“Don’t remember,” he said. “Memories are hazy. I just found my way out. Then people cared for me in the hospital, but they treated me like I was crazy. At the time I was half-conscious. And the doctors kept murmuring about some disease. All I got in my half-conscious state was cordyceps.”

“Like when I found you,” I said. “You said�"”

“Yeah, I said the people who hated me kept talking about 

that disease. After that, they rejected me. Because at that time I was still into stopping the war. They thought I got the idea from 

the Archives, and I was going insane. That’s when I ran away. I 

juts couldn’t take my life anymore.”

“Whoa,” I inched a bit back from him.

He laughed. “Don’t worry, I’m not crazy. My time in the Archives, it was like my memory was partially erased. All I remember was the Eternity Hall and how the Archives looked like. That’s it.”

“But…” I started, “this doesn’t fit with your other story. The one where your parents got killed by…”

I couldn’t say it. 

“Yes, that happened before I ran away,” he said. “Probably what made me do it, too. Death of my parents, the ones who supported me all my life, I felt more alone than ever. Nobody backed up my idea about peace.”

“I’m sorry,” I said. “For the humans being so cruel to you. But you’re not alone anymore. I’m still here, and as long as I’m here, you have a home.”

“I know. I feel sorry for myself, too. I brought my parents into this. They got murdered. So you see now, why I feel so guilty. I feel responsible for their deaths.”

“But you’re not,” I said. “You know that. My race did this. Maybe they are more cruel than the Ants, even though we don’t think so. I mean, it doesn’t matter who started the fight. We killed millions of Ants.”

“Probably a lot more. There were so few of us at the start, but later on there were tons of us. Like, billions. As many as you guys. Probably not as much as before, though.”

“You mean before the new era?”

“Yeah. Ten thousand A.D. and stuff. I wonder what it was 

like back then.”

“Probably better than now,” I said. “I wonder too. And ten thousand years ago they said that we didn’t have cars or holograms. I mean, that’s the simplest technology around! Can you believe what it was like back then?”

“No.”

I forgot that the Ants weren’t here at the time before the new era. It made me feel… I dunno. Like they’ve missed a lot.

“Oh,” I said. “Right.”

For an Ant that found the Eternity Hall, he didn’t seem to know much. I was beyond curious now. I really, really, really, wanted to find that place. 

But I couldn’t. May’s last request before she died was to not go in there. I had to keep a promise this time, just this once. 

And it wasn’t like I didn’t know the danger either. I also didn’t want to lead Pyro in there, just for my sake. But answers could be found there. Like what started this whole mess. It was  all one big blank, and the Hall had the pencil to fill it in.

I mean, I knew the Ants were smart. I would believe anybody who said the Ants didn’t start the war for no reason right away. That answer seemed so right.

But I had a growing suspicion that maybe they didn’t attack first. But that was impossible. The anniversary of the Ants was the night before they attacked. And I saw the Ants attack for the first time with my own eyes. And if we really did attack them first�"which wasn’t possible�"then there was still one big blank to fill in.

Why?

Pyro must’ve seen my confused face. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just thinking.” I said. “How long until we get to the chopper?”

“I dunno,” he admitted. “We’ll probably get there around midnight?”

“Jack won’t like that,” I said. “He’s been bored this whole trip.”

“I know, but it wasn’t your fault that he came.” he told me. “So we can boss him around all we want. He shouldn’t have come.”

“Yeah,” I said. “My parents must be scared to death right now.”

“Midnight,” Pyro repeated. “Get some sleep.”

I really didn’t want to sleep. I wasn’t restless, but still I had too many things on my mind. And I didn’t want to lower my guard.

But sleep would relieve my stress and make me forget about the million things going on, so I decided to take his advice. 

And I had to get some rest when I knew we would go into the Eternal Archives tomorrow. It would be another day of breaking in a building and plowing through some guards. And… whoa, I didn’t even think about it, but I was going to space tomorrow! I mean, it wasn’t such a big deal to other people. I heard plans of colonizing Mars. I heard the super rich could take a vacation to space stations. It wasn’t as exciting as it used to be.

But that was before. Now the Ants claimed our moon and built many space stations surrounding our planet. Our research never went anywhere, except the direction of war. We created weapons and vehicles for war instead of drives and ships to advance our race forward. 

But still, I wasn’t super rich, or an experienced astronaut. I was only a kid, and I was going to the moon.

A lifeless, desolate, ruined and mechanized moon. One that 

the Ants covered every square inch with buildings. 

In the colony subway, it was dark. The lights were barely enough. But I could still imagine seeing the moon outside my window right now, only not as bright because of all the industrial stuff on it. How could we not found out about what they were up to there? The moon belonged to all of us. To the earth. Nobody can just go up there and ruin it like that. 

I couldn’t wait to destroy the Infinity core. Then I’d feel like I destroyed the heart of their facility. Their useless facility. The only thing it did was protect secrets that everybody had the right to know. And their Queen, I guess. Probably because every human wants the Queen dead. 

But not me. And once again, I wonder, do I have a purpose in this world? Can I really change the outcome of this war?
All that swirled through my head. So that’s why I couldn’t sleep. I had trouble believing if this was all worth it. But I already went this far now, and I couldn’t fail. I always pushed myself too hard, and this was one of those times where I needed to as well.

Especially because tons of people counted on me, even if they didn’t know it yet. And two very important people who died trying to fight for my cause. I couldn’t let them down.

Oh, I hated myself right now. I wondered if there was a way to punish myself for not saving her.

“You’re thinking about her?” Pyro urged. 

I nodded.

“It’s okay. Let’s just finish the mission.” he said. “Mourning later.”

“Pyro, when we destroy that core…” I began, “what will really happen to you?”

He looked like I’d struck a sensitive subject. “Okay, maybe 

I’m not as truthful as I should’ve been. I’ve always been told, that if we destroy the core… we’d lose our connection, right?”

“Yeah.”

“What that really means, is that we’d all lose our memory. Every single one of us.”

My jaw dropped. I hadn’t been expecting this. 

“What?” I said. “Then�"then�"”

“We still have to do it,” he said. “Don’t care about me. We have to finish the mission.”

“I can’t…” I shook my head. “Not you too.”

“It won’t matter,” he said. “We can’t give up now. I already said, don’t care about me, okay? It’s just my memory.”

“How can I not care?” I said. “It’s just your memory!?”

“Yeah. No biggie. You can just retell me all your adventures.”

“It won’t be the same,” I said, wiping my eyes. “I can’t do it.”

“Oh, come on,” he said. “You have to. Fine, I’ll do it. If you really want to stop the war, then I’ll do it.”

A long time ago, I don’t even remember when, I thought that stopping the war was going to be simple. Not easy, but simple.

I thought that I just had negotiate. But now it was terribly complicated. I’d lost two friends, been given a useless vial, and every Ant would lose their memory. Now we would have to teach them everything again, from the very beginning. And I don’t know about everybody else, but that sounded like déjà vu to me. Would all my work be for nothing? Would there be another war?

“This is going to be a piece of cake!” I remember saying. “I’ll talk to the Ants, and they’ll trust me! We’re going to be friends again!”

But that was when I was seven. 

“That’s not our mission anymore,” I heard myself saying. “Objective’s changed. We’re stopping the bomb.”

“You’ve always been scared, Nix.” he said. “Just do it.”

“No,” I confirmed firmly. 

“It’s just one dumb core you have to destroy! Don’t tell me you’re giving up.”

I felt people’s eyes around me, and that took away my confidence easily. 

“Fine.” 

“Good. We’re not doing this whole thing for nothing.”

“But we’re still going to stop the bomb.”

“Yeah. We have to.”

I knitted my eyebrows. “Why?”

“I haven’t told you yet? The Ants know what you guys are up to. Of course they do. They’re going to set up a shield to repel it back at you guys, or into the ocean, whichever.”

“What?” I said, surprised. “So it’s not going to work?” 

“Exactly. You have to tell the General that. Or else your whole race will go extinct. Jake’s dad is driven by anger. That’s what fuels him. He’s blind, now. He doesn’t realize that the bomb will kill us all.”

“That’s what they have the generator for, underground in that facility.” I said. “For the shield?”

“Maybe. But I’ve seen the disease. It will surely kill everything on this planet. Our shield will only protect us for some time. That’s maybe why that cure is so important. Not for the war, but for the bomb. You have to get it to Jake’s dad, as soon as we finish with the core.”

“Please don’t call the General Jake’s dad anymore,” I said. “It’s too painful.”

May had said what he said. She’d seen what the disease could do. I was the only one that didn’t. In the dim light, Pyro looked scared to talk about it too. What was so scary about this disease?

“What’s your story?” I asked. “How have you seen the disease at work? At May’s house, you explained it perfectly…because you’ve seen it yourself, haven’t you?”

“I…” His antennas lowered. “Don’t want to talk about it.”

“Of course.”

Once again, I felt like all the weight was on my shoulders. Of course I knew Pyro couldn’t come with me into the military headquarters, but I was supposed to do it all by myself? Convince the General with the blue vial that the bomb would kill us all? May would’ve went with me for sure, but now she’s… now she’s…

I sighed. The blue vial had been in my pocket the whole time, but I never felt how cold it was until now. The whole world depended on this? Even the war? How could that be? How could this save our Alliance?

We only had one day left before they launched the bomb. One day left to sort trough this whole mess.

“Sleep,” Pyro demanded. “We have enough problems to think about. One more tomorrow, so you need rest. We’re going to the Archives.”

“I guess,” I said. “Fine. I’ll sleep. I’m tired. But what about you?”

“I’ll wake you up,” he said. “Or drag you to the chopper. Because I can.”

I smiled. “Very funny. But you know, I’m not that tired.”

I curled up in my chair and close my eyes in the dark of the tunnels we sped through.

I was wrong. I fell into slumber as soon as I relaxed my head against the chair rest.

.  .  .


It was just another night. One more recently when I first took her in.

“I’m going to be famous!” I said. It was the first time I told her my dream. How focused I was on saving the Alliance.

“I’m sure you will,” she said, eating a granola bar I brought from the cupboard. 

“This is going to be a piece of cake!” I said. “I’ll talk to the Ants, and they’ll trust me! We’re going to be friends again!”

“Uh-huh,” she said, not really listening.

“I just have to show them that we don’t have to fight.” I said. “What could be harder than that?”

“Yup.”

“I’ll talk to their boss! Yeah, that’s right! I’ll talk to their boss and tell him we can be friends!”

“Sure.”

“This is going to be awesome! I can’t wait to grow up, until my parents let me out of this house!”

“Yup.”

The scene changed. 

I was slightly older. I was getting worried, because I was bored and May didn’t come so late usually.

But soon I heard a knock on the window and I let her in.

“What took you so long?” I asked her, helping her through.

“This!” she handed me a messed up cupcake.

“Why?” I said, studying it in my hands.

“It’s your birthday, silly!” she said as she closed the window. 

“Don’t tell me you forgot!”

“Oh yeah!” I said. “But where’d you get this?”

“They sell those in bakeries everywhere.”

“But�"” then it dawned on me. “You stole this?”

She shrugged. “Yeah, not so hard. I had to make sure she was looking somewhere else, then I grab one. Then I walk out like nothing happened instead of running away. Besides, I’m only a kid. She wouldn’t have cared, right?”

“No,” I admitted. “But anyways, it was nice you remem-bered my birthday. I didn’t.”

“I have a good memory,” she said. “And good stealing skills.”

She smiled at me, and my heart warmed at the sight.

“Want some?” I offered, holding out the cake.


.  .  .


The rest of the night was mostly a haze. Pyro and I sleepily carried ourselves to the chopper outside the city walls. Pyro dragged me away from the gang fights, and told me to ignore the yells in the night as we walked.

By the time we reached the chopper, it was already two in the morning and everybody was asleep. We grabbed snacks from the fridge and slumped in our respective couches.

“I hate missing dinner,” Pyro said. 

“Me too,” I mumbled. I was half-asleep already. 

I thought about what happened tonight. I couldn’t believe May was gone. I brought her in this.

And I couldn’t get that screaming Ant out of my head. The bloodstain on my knife, it was just too much to bear. I felt like a murderer, even though I didn’t kill anyone.

“Pyro, I don’t want this anymore,” I handed him the knife.

He just sighed. “I get it, Nix. I really do. But there’s always something my father always said to me, during the bits of combat training we had.”

“What?”

“He said that no matter what, always have a knife with you. Not just to defend yourself. It’s a useful tool. It could cut its way through your problems�"that’s what he said. Literally, too. It could slice vegetables, slice wood into shelters, and… well, you know. Just in case you need it if someone threatens you.”

“I don’t want to be a killer.”

“That’s not the point. The point is you’ll need it no matter what, even if you’re in the safest part of the world. Even if you don’t think so. So Nix,” he tossed the knife back. “Keep it.”

I stared at it, inside the strapped sheath. I didn’t want to look at the gore on the surface. I never wanted to unsheathe it again.

Then I stared at the vial in my other hand. It casted an eerie glow around the room, and it felt cold. 

And even staring at the bottle, even after everything that happened in my life, I still found myself thinking about May.

I’m sorry for my race’s mistakes, Pyro. Jake had said before he died. We were reckless. And I’m sorry I’m not there to fix it. Make my death count. Repair the Alliance.

Stop the bomb, Nix. May had said. Good… bye.

So many good friends that helped me. Now they were blown up, or brutally murdered. I didn’t want to think about it, but I still did, because after everything Pyro’s told me, I still see myself as the one that did this to them. Even if they agreed to the dangers. I convinced them to come.

I was the reckless one. And I was sorry for my mistakes. 

Everybody counted on me to set things right.

“Just stop thinking about it, and sleep.” Pyro told me. 

“Okay,” I muttered, and set the knife and the vial on the side table. 

One day left to stop the bomb. And it was going to be spent on going on a suicidal mission.

.  .  .


“Nix! You’re back!”

I woke up groggily, still tired from last night. Jack was bouncing on me, excited.

“What?” I mumbled.

“Where’s May?” he asked me.

I didn’t want to meet his eyes. I looked at Pyro for support, but he was still asleep. 

Jack seemed to get the message, probably because of my mood. “Oh.”

“She’s okay,” I lied.

“Where is she?”

I knew my brother was fascinated by her. Just because she was a refugee, and he seemed really interested by that fact. But I couldn’t bring myself to tell the truth. 

“Away,” I lied again.

“Aww.” Jack was already bummed about what happened to Jake. I hated myself for letting him stay here around all the death and violence. I should’ve brought him back to Mom and Dad.

“It’s okay. She’s fine, I assure you.” I said. I sniffed the air. It smelled of waffles and sausages.

“Breakfast?” I asked him.

He nodded. “Yup. They got surprised when they found you here. They said they want to talk to you about what happened. 

You look beaten up. And they’re also wondering where May is.”

“Okay,” I said. He still looked a bit upset about that, so I said, “How about we call Mom and Dad?”

His eyes lit up cheerfully. “Okay! Let’s tell them about our adventure! Well, I sit here most of the time replaying Jake’s video games, but you could tell them about your missions! And I’ll tell them about the Ant city me and Pyro saw, all the buildings and bridges�"”

“No!” I said a bit too loudly. “I mean, don’t tell them that. That’s all. Just don’t.”

I should’ve known that Jack didn’t take this whole thing seriously. What if Mom and Dad found out that we were hacking giant Ant facilities and walking through the streets with them? They’d pass out cold.

I took Jake’s tablet from the table, which just painfully reminded me of what happened to him, and used that to call them.

One ring. Two rings. Three.

“What?” I said. “Why aren’t they answering?”

My brother just shrugged. He and I both knew that with the war going on, we mostly stayed in the house. All of us. My parents barely go out to buy things or work. 

“Maybe we have bad connection,” he said. “Well, we’ll call them later, right? Right now it’s time to eat waffles!”

My stomach grumbled at that. Not eating last night really made me hungry.

“Okay,” I told him, and he went off.

I still had an aching feeling about it. What was wrong? They never left both at the same time. They should’ve answered. One thing for sure, they’d never not answer a call from their 

children.

A horrible thought occurred to me�"that maybe they were taken by the government and was interrogated of some sort.

I just sighed and tried not to think about it. Instead I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV.

Not much was on. Just news of some house burning down, which ended just as I turned it on. Then more news of the military war plans and whatnot. More clips of the General making news, then more of the war attacks and that’s when I turned it off.

“The news only shows the bad stuff,” I muttered.

A bit later Pyro woke up and we ate breakfast.

“What happened back there, lads?” George asked as we ate. “Where’s the other one of you guys? The girl�"”

“May?” I said.

“Yeah.”

I felt like sobbing again, but I held myself back. “She’s… she’s gone.”

“Oh,” George said. “Sorry to hear, lad.”

“We also have bad news,” John grunted. “Our boss knows we failed to protect Jake. He’s recalling us to HQ.”

“What?” Pyro said. “But doesn’t he know�"”

“Yes, he knows to punish us for not protecting him.” George explained. “But we simply told him that we were following Jake’s orders. Oh, and don’t worry. We didn’t tell him we were still with you guys. He doesn’t know that.”

“So…” I said, “what now?”

George smiled. “We told him we’re not coming back, lad.”

“Not yet,” John said.

A spark lit up in me. “So you’ll still help us with the mission?”

“We’ll still be here,” George said. “As I said, we feel bad for not protecting Jake. We’ll continue his job supporting you guys. Where do you want us to take you next?”

“We’ll stay here, actually.” Pyro said. “Just one more day. Then we’re off to the military HQ.”

“We can’t stay here forever,” John said.

George elbowed him. “Don’t get their hopes down, Johnny! But yes, he’s quite right. We have to answer the call sooner or later. We don’t want to get fired. As long as it takes to get your mission done, we’re in.”

“After today,” I said. “Then you’re free.”

George looked surprised. “Are you sure lad�"”

“Yes. You’ve done enough for us already.”

He shrugged. “If you say so. Oh, and sorry again about May, lad. It couldn’t have been easy for you. Anyway, John and I will scout the area a bit. We need some fresh air.”

They left on that note. Pyro and I decided to do some chores around the chopper.

“Still thinking about her?” Pyro asked me as we threw our plastic plates in the garbage and began to bring it out. 

“Yeah,” I said. “I still feel like… you know, she could still be alive.”

Pyro shrugged. “Maybe. Sometimes my race isn’t so cruel. But most times they are.”

“Thanks.”

“Hey! Just being honest. If you really still want to search for her, we can, you know. But I doubt she’s alive and that we have enough time to do that and destroy the Infinity Core and stop the war.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” I said. 

I still couldn’t believe I’d lost her. I took care of her when 

we were seven, gave her a home. I told her she’d never get hurt by Ants again, and now I felt guilty for leading her into this. Even if we made that deal.

But that was so long ago. We were small when we made that pact. Grade one. I don’t even remember it that vividly anymore.

Heck, I don’t even remember what life was like back then. I just knew that we still had the privilege of school, and we were a happy family living in peace until the war came, and the government made countermeasures to ensure that we were safe. It was terrible. Now the changes, I remember. We stopped going to school. Most stores except groceries shut down. We lived in absolute fear and terror.

We were prepared for an attack, too. We learned drills that made sure we knew what to do when it happened. But nothing ever did. Unless…

I remember what May told me. They were close. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t contact my parents.

No. That wasn’t it. It would be on TV. The attacks I heard on TV were some other places in the world.

But now I was in their home continent. What was supposedly called South America. Where it was hot and dense, and most of their cities were built in the giant forest that was once called the Amazon Rainforest. 

While the majority of them lived here, some of them lived high above the atmosphere in luxurious life, because even though we could, the Ants knew we wouldn’t possibly plan an attack up there. They dwelled in the knowledge that they were safe. 

And I was going to go there too.

Up until now, I don’t think I was ready for the moon. Or the Eternal Archives. 

And still… I really wished May were still here. To share the experience with us. She’d had an unfair life, with her home first being taken by the Ants and then her.

What rotten luck. 

Then Pyro told me, “I still think she didn’t like me.” 

“She’ll never like you.”

When he became angry that’s when I realized it came out wrong. “No! Sorry, I didn’t mean that. I mean she’ll always be scared of you because you’re an Ant. But she still saw you as an ally. Or, a family member, if you want it in a cheesy way.”

“I like cheese.”

“Yeah, whatever. Anyway, we should prepare. For the trip to the Archives, I mean.”

“Yes,” Pyro said. “And train more.”

I laughed. “I don’t need more of your nonsense training, Pyro.”

“Okay, fine. If you think you’re ready, fine. You think you’ve been through so much already.”

“Yeah,” I said. “I have. So I don’t think whispers in my head will stop me.”

“They will.”

“No, they won’t. I won’t go into the Eternity Hall either, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“That’s supposed to be impossible to find, so I believe you.” he said. “But if it wasn’t impossible to find, I wouldn’t believe you.”

“Hey!”

“I’m kidding! I was actually thinking about what would happen after we destroy the core.”

“You mean you’d lose your memory?” I asked.

He scratched the back of his head. “Well, yeah. There’s that 

too. But I mean are you up to the task to stop the bomb?”

“That’s why you said you couldn’t come with me,” I said. “Because you knew that destroying the core would make you lose your memory.”

“No!” he protested. “No, that’s not why. You know I can’t go into the headquarters of the military. I’m an Ant! They’d kill me first sight!” 

I thought about it. “Well, I guess you’re right. But we went into one of the Ants’ most secured facilities and you knocked them all out just fine. Why was that, anyway? Am I just imagining it, or did we do that so easily?”

His face paled. “I… I dunno. Pure luck, my best guess. We made it in, and out. That’s the good thing. You don’t need to worry anymore.”

“Okay.”  

By that time we had already moved onto washing our clothes by a river�"the old school way�"and sorting the fridge.

There was still one thing that bothered me. Jake’s last words.

“You still don’t know what Jake meant by clear your race’s name?” I asked him.

“I… I still have no idea.”

“What about how those crazy Ants knew your name? Especially the one on that bridge, when you said people shouldn’t know you here?”

“I don’t know that either,” he said. “I really don’t know how they knew me. I’ve never met those people in my life.”

“You know absolutely nothing?” I said. “Even though everybody is telling you stuff? Like what did the guy on the bridge say? Help me! Save me! You don’t know what he means?”
“Look, Nix, I swear, I’ve never met him ever in my life. He’s crazy! I told you, my name is a fire Ant name. It’s pretty common. Maybe he was referring to someone else.”

I got his point. But still, I couldn’t shake the feeling…

“Okay,” I said. “Let’s talk about the Archives. We just get in the city again through the subway?”

“Yup.”

“Then, hmm… let me guess, use a disguise to pretend we work there to sneak in through the building?”

“Yeah!” he exclaimed. “How’d you know?”

“Then we go through the portal, we end up in the Archives, then find the Infinity Chamber?”

“Yeah. Then we destroy it. Sounds like a plan?”

I nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

“Breaking in the building might be the hardest part,” he warned me. “This one’s even more secured than the facility. Like, a hundred times more. Trickery is the only way to get through.”

“Of course. Because it’s the last gate to entering the place with a core that if destroyed all of the Ants’ memory will be erased.”

“You got it. We try to protect it as much as we can because it holds our weakness, which we’re about to destroy.”

“So why not just make the portal in one of your space stations?” I asked him.

“Because the portal was made here by the creator. For now, we can’t figure out a way to close it. And we can’t leave it vulnerable either, because your military already knows about it. And we know that because Jake told us about the Archives, and he got that from military intel. So we can only protect it as much as we can.”

I nodded. “Makes sense.”

“And the Archive defences are our last hope if they get through.”

“But we took that down, so now they’re really vulnerable.”

“No, I mean the real Archive defences. The whispers in your head to drive you insane. I told you too, it’s the absolute best defence any base can get. While we provide the physical defences here, the Archive whispers are more like to stop any sentient life forms’ minds to take away their will to fight. And, what Jake said. It’ll show you illusions to make you feel regretful or guilty so you’ll want to stop what you’re doing. It will lie to you, too. Like, say, it tells you it can give you back a life you never had. Or maybe, it says it can bring back a certain someone. Hmm?”

I stared at the floor.

“You can’t stop the hallucinations or whispers either,” he said. “As long as you’re sentient and living, it will trick your senses. There’s no way of stopping it.”

I felt more worse than ever. Pyro was making it sound like it was impossible. Because, maybe it was. Like the chances of finding the Eternity Hall. 

“I won’t find it.” I really meant it this time. “And even if I do, I’ll walk away.”

“Good,” he said. “Because you really, really don’t want to go in there.”

“But you did,” I reminded him.

“Yes, it was unbelievable for me to find something that great. And I’m telling you, from past experience, you don’t want to go in there. Ever.”

“Why?”

He had a confused look, like he was trying to figure something out. “I… I forget. Remember, most of my time in there was erased from my memory. I just remember I didn’t like it. Or the Infinity Chamber. That might be as bad as the Eternity Hall too.”

“You’ve been there too?” I said surprisingly. 

“No,” he answered. “No, I haven’t. It’s from the legends. The core is also hard to find. I’ll have to guide us carefully.”

“How will you do that?” I asked. “Do you have some kind of internal map or�"”

“No, nothing like that. And I still have the whispers just like every living thing that enters; it’s just we’ve been told that if we venture in there, only an Ant would know the way. Somehow. But nobody really proved that’s true because nobody’s dared to go in there lately.”

“Who’s the one that told you that?”

“My parents, actually. The grand opening of the Archives was about six years ago. I was still small, so they told me when I grew up. The creator of the Archives announced it, I think. And he claims he got it from the Queen.”

“So did he?”

“I dunno. Probably. But if he’s wrong that only Ants can navigate somewhat easily, then we’re in a hopeless situation.”

“You can do it. I believe in you.” I told him. “When are we leaving?”

“Near lunchtime. We have to eat before we leave. And we have to be back by ten to twelve so we can make the trip overnight to the military headquarters.”

“So…” I calculated. “About ten hours?”

“Yeah. That’s a lot of time. Especially since we can’t really stay there for more than an hour, like May said. But we’ll have to because I’ll be out of commission, remember?”

I clutched the sides of my head. “Please don’t say that name 

anymore.”

“Hey,” he said, “it’ll be okay.”

“Wait a second, you’ll lose your memory if we destroy the core. Then how will you navigate us out?”

He grimaced when I said that. “And now you see why I think it was a bad idea, from the very beginning.”

I frowned.

“But, don’t get your hopes down,” he said. “Because as far as I know, destroying the core is the only way to stop the war. You can tell me that I have to lead us out, and I will.”

“But your memory will be erased,” I said. “You won’t even understand me, because you wouldn’t know our language.”

“Oh yeah,” he said. 

We were silent for a moment, contemplating. 

“We’re doing this,” Pyro finally said. “No matter the consequences. No matter the dangers. We can do this.”

“Yeah,” I said, sharing his confidence. “We’ll just reteach everything to you guys. We can do it again.”

“When you do, just make sure you don’t�"uh, never mind.”

I wondered what he was about to say, but I didn’t think much of it.

“Plan the sneaky entrance to the big scary building in the centre of the city first,” I said. “So, how will we do that?”

Pyro thought about it. He looked out of the window of the chopper as if it would support him, but no such luck.

“Disguise,” he said. “This time, to really get in, we’ll have to dress up as maintenance engineers to get in, because it doesn’t scan for ID. It needs fingerprint, retinal, and voice scan.”

“Whoa,” I said. “Three times the charm. So, they’ll let us pass through all that?”

“Not really. They’ll see us through our disguise. And 

because we’re not adults.”

“Of course,” I sighed. 

“I don’t know how to fix that. We can’t barge through them either, as I already told you. There’s only one way to get past all that if we’re not using a disguise.”

“Let’s hear it.”

“Ventilation shafts, of course.”

I groaned. “More of those? Aren’t they going to think of that? Like, put razor sharp blades in there, or laser turrets?”

“You’re actually right,” he said. “So, cross that off the list. It’s just, that’s the only way I know of how to break in. If we are taking that route, I might have a plan around those traps.”

I leaned in. “What?”

“Why, ninja around them like real spies!”

I shook my head but smiled. “No, no, you know we can’t do that. Unless you want to finish the mission cut into a million pieces of smoking flesh. Are there any options left?”

“Hacking another facility downtown,” he said. “That controls the defences of the building. But, it’s all the way on the other side of the city. And you know how long it would take to do that. Another day, at least. Two because it’s so far, even if we took the chopper. We don’t have enough time. And you know the last time we hacked or raided a facility…”

He was right. From past experience, the last thing I wanted to do was mess around in another facility.

“Okay,” I said miserably. “No way at all, then?”

“We can climb the building, crash through the top floor roof of glass, and run for the portal. But I’m guessing that we can’t do that.”

Nooo, of course we can.”

He laughed. “Okay, so really the only thing is the shaft. 

Unless you want to try out the disguise. But I’m telling you, they’ll search you from head to toe ten times. They’ll scan you after�"and this type of scan is unaffected by deception devices�"and also… yeah, the fingerprint and other security stuff. And I already told you, we’re only kids to be engineers that work there.”

“So that’s hopeless,” I said. “How’d you get in?”

“Every Ant has the right to go in there.”

“What? Really?!”

“Yeah. As long as you’re an Ant. Where’d you think all those legends of those adventurers came from?”

“I guess because they’re Ants. But one thing still bothers me. You said the Archives were built over fifty years ago. When we were still allies. Then why would they take our moon?”

“Good question,” he said. “I should tell you, that fifty years ago they had a contract. Your race gave allowance for my race to advance and make a colony there. Or, whatever. We built the Archives there, to house our core of our hive mind. Your race just had one request for us when we signed the contract.”

“What?”

“To not build on your nation flags. But then… when the war started we hated each other, right? So we realized that if we built on your nation flags and broke the contract, it would really show how much hate we had. Your race got totally miffed about that, too. The war got more intense after that.”

“Oh,” I said. 

“You probably know this too, but when the new era began, my race were born adults, because they lived their childhoods as not evolved ones. As soon as you guys taught us everything, we began construction to house our core on the moon. I’m a second generation, obviously. There’s rarely a third generation Ant on this planet. And so our parents created the Archives almost fifty years ago. So you see, it’s not that ancient as your own monuments. It’s a pretty new building, but I’m sure in the future it would be ancient ruins, though.”

“So your parents helped with the construction of the Archives? And they were born adults?”

“Yeah. From what I figured, anyway. So, yeah… it’s unnerving.”

“Yeah,” I agreed. “So, we still don’t know how to get in.”

“I can, of course.” Pyro said. Then he snapped his fingers. “That’s it! I’ll go in regularly, then you have to go through the shaft of death by yourself.”

I couldn’t tell if he was kidding. “Um… what?”

“You’ll have to dodge them.”

“I know. But how?”

He thought for a moment. Then he looked out the window once again. “I think I know exactly how.”

.  .  .


Pyro went out again, to restock weapons and food. I still don’t know where he gets all his money. I decided not to worry about it, because it was a good thing. 

He came back with tons of supplies. He told me the plan, and he taught (or trained) me on how.

We ate lunch by then. It sure felt like the last meal to me, because after we were going into the Archives. I had to break the news to Jack, and he still didn’t like how we were leaving him here.

“I want to come!” he said.

“It’s too dangerous,” I told him. “Just stay here.”

“We’ll take care of him, lad.” George told me.

I really didn’t want my brother to go. Pyro told me the Archives worked better on younger people, because they didn’t have as much sense, so it could trick them easily. I didn’t want Jack to get caught up on our problems.

We began to suit up. We didn’t have much weapons this time. But I was still going to bring my gun, because I felt safer with it. 

When we were done I told the guards we’d be back at around ten.

“Lad, are you sure you still don’t want us to escort you there?” George asked. “I mean, the last time that happened… next thing we know two people don’t come back. I’m a bit worried.”

“We’ll be fine,” I assured him. “This is our mission.”

He shrugged. “If you say so. We’ll be ready for a quick escape, if you need one.”

“I’m sure we won’t,” I said, but I heard a little doubt in myself.

I walked over to Pyro. 

“So, you’re just going to waltz right in?” I asked him.

“No. I have to sign a contract.”

“Wait, you said this wasn’t your home city, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Then how did you get in here?”

“It’s a bit fuzzy. I don’t exactly remember. I think we visited here.”

“But this is super far from the border.”

“It’s best not to think about it,” he said. “Or go into my past. Now, are you ready to go?”

I felt the vial grow colder in my pocket. And the knife 

getting heavier. And I couldn’t shake the feeling in my stomach that this was going to be a long haul. 

I thought about the scientist. Jake. May. My parents back home. My brother. All counting on me to do this. To stop the war.

And it all came down to this moment. I was scared, naturally. 

But I had to do this. Maybe I wasn’t ready to face the Eternal Archives, but I had to be. 

In this moment now, I don’t think I’ll ever be ready to face such danger, but I had to. Maybe I wasn’t confident that I was going to come back, but I had to.

Because this was life or death. And I had to do this.

Pyro was still waiting by the door.

“Uh… yeah. I think.” I said. “I’m ready.”

He slid open the door and we ran through the forest.
















17: The Eternal Archives

We had no problems crossing the wall for the second time. The subway was damp and musty as usual, but I was a bit used to it now.

We bought seats and sat there for a while. The subway sped along at high speeds. I felt it lurch and move around when it went too fast. Just like the last time, my stomach didn’t feel too good.

But I wasn’t thinking about that. And Pyro knew me too well to know what I was thinking, but he stayed quiet.

I kept my cap low over my face like I usually did, and leaned back to take a rest. The subway took about an hour to get there, seeing how big the city was. We were headed for the giant building in the centre of the city, the one with the weird-looking point at the top like a light beacon, singling a place anybody wanted to go to for death. The one with a giant neon sign of the letter I. It looked pretty evil-looking, if you ask me.

I had a slight suspicion about what the I stood for. But I waved the idea aside as fast as it came to me.

We were barreling through the underground colony tunnels right now, heading for the nearest station. Pyro told me that all Ants could dig, but the main ones that did were harvester Ants. 

After what seemed like an endless hour, the subway zoomed out of the tunnel and up the rail back into the surface. I let the sunlight spread warmth through me. The light streamed in and flashed in my eyes.

We were near the centre skyscraper. I saw it come into view as we passed buildings on the highway track, as we sped above the people down below.

Pyro pointed at the building. “You see that tip at the top? That’s the Celestial Obelisk.”

I nodded, not really listening.

“They say when you enter the portal it will charge up celestial energy to blast you to the Archives. The stuff is a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me. I mean, the Obelisk doesn’t always point at the moon.”

The sky was bright blue. Some clouds were suspended in the air during the hot summer day. 

“We can’t even see the moon,” I muttered. 

“Yeah. So we don’t know if the Obelisk is actually pointing at the moon.”

The so called Celestial Obelisk was high in length, and was a giant thick needle on top of the skyscraper. The tower was so tall the Obelisk looked like it was actually cutting through the clouds. But I knew that would never happen, as I learned long ago that clouds were too high to reach for skyscrapers to get anywhere close.

The subway stopped at a station close enough to the skyscraper. We got off while a ton of people went in and I covered my face as much as possible while Pyro steered me out of the way.

“Stairs,” he would mutter when we came across some, then I had to look.

Soon we made it to the surface again and we were right next to the building. I was tempted to look up at how tall it seemed from my view but I had to hide my face.

We entered the lobby. Pyro and I already knew the plan perfectly.

I stood near the doors, waiting. I listened to my com. 

“Signing the contract now,” Pyro told me.                            

I walked around the building casually, until I spotted it in a quiet hallway. I looked left and right for Ants, and saw one business man walk by. I diverted my attention from the vent and stood straight, humming a tune.

The man walked by suspiciously, and I waited until he was gone. Then I went to work.

I spit out a coin in my mouth, which tasted horrible. I slipped it through the vent. Pyro told me sometimes there could be hidden laser beams behind it.

When I heard a clang, I knew it was safe. I grabbed a screwdriver from under my cap and took out the bolts. When I was done I grabbed the metal plate and unhinged it, setting it beside the opening.

The vent was barely enough to fit me. And I wasn’t usually claustrophobic, but I kind of got scared if I couldn’t crawl my way out of there.

Pyro said I didn’t have to worry if I left the vent open. He told me to just hide the panel covering it, so I placed it behind a plant in a vase on the ground.

When I entered, it was cold. This was where the air conditioning went in anyway. I crawled through it, and breathed in the fresh new air, which tingled my nose.

I climbed up a ladder through the shaft. It led me to a singular regular-sized hallway with chrome walls.

It looked harmless enough. Just a hallway�"nothing special. But Pyro told me there were hidden traps.

I banged on the wall hard three times. Nothing happened. That’s how I knew all the triggers were on the floor.

I carefully stepped forward. Instantly a turret popped out of the wall and I rolled out of the way of its fire. It blasted shots super fast, but luckily I was quicker. When I was off the trigger,

it slid back into place.

Okay. My heart was racing.

I took a scrambler chip from my pocket. When I stepped on the trigger, it popped up, and I flicked it like a frisbee toward it, attaching before it could fire. Electricity sparks flew around the machine, and it shut down.

One trap done.

I knew there were about a million traps they had put in here. I had to find them all.

The next step I took, razor blades shot out of the wall, threatening to kill me. I rolled forward, feeling it graze my hair. I jumped to the left quickly to dodge another one, and I fell to the floor. I rolled sideways to dodge a third one that came for my face.

I barely had another second before the fourth one came, then the fifth. I had to act quickly. Fortunately, I didn’t even know I had it in me. I had the reflexes of a mongoose. I dodged every single one perfectly. 

It seemed like they would never end. I just kept advancing through the hallway as they came out to slice me to bits.

One was aimed at my head, and I had to go on my knees and look at the roof as I saw it pass cleanly by my face. I barely had time for the next one that came under me, but I rolled out of the way in time, my heart pumping like a machine gun.

Another one was vertically aimed at my face, and I knew I didn’t have time to dodge it. With a jolt I instantly grabbed both sides of the spinning blade, only touching the smooth surface. It spun wildly, pushing against my strength but I managed to hold it, sweat trickling down my face and my teeth clenched. 

It felt like a minute, but finally I pushed with all my strength 

to one side and diverted it away. I breathed hard after that.

They stopped coming. I panted heavily on the ground, hoping that no blade would come out at any time and slice me while I was out of energy.

Man, that was scary. 

I stood up unsteadily. The rest of the hallway looked as harmless as the first part, but I knew there was more to it. As I walked forward, I felt heat near the bridge of my nose.

Hidden laser beams. Of course. Every spy movie had them.

I looked around me for resources. There was a lot of dust on the floor, and I figured I could use that.

I placed my palms on the ground and swept them, trying to gather as much dust as I could. When I was satisfied I clapped them near the heat I felt.

The dust showed where they were, but only briefly. I couldn’t memorize them that fast. I needed something else. 

I didn’t know what to do.

That was before I remembered what Pyro said. There was a hidden panel somewhere that made them invisible. I didn’t know what made them invisible though. Some advanced tech.

I stomped around the ground hard, listening for sound. Nothing.

I slammed my fist on the walls. It was until I heard a hollow sound, like an echo.

I traced my finger around the spot and found the outline. I grabbed my screwdriver and stabbed it through a spot in the outline, and I was successful. It was stuck in a gap, and I pulled down, trying to open it.

It worked. Like a lever, it pried opened the panel. It stuck out dangling above a bunch of thick wires. Pyro was right. I should always have a knife with me, because this was one of those moments when I needed one.

I slipped it out of my thigh, forced myself to not look at the bloodstain, and cut the wires. The laser beams flickered to life.

I sheathed my knife and studied the now visible beams. It looked hard to get through, but nothing I couldn’t handle.

I carefully stepped over the first one, and ducking under the second at the same time. I had to do a couple of rolls and slips against the wall to dodge some of them.

I had to jump over one that was fairly high. I was never good at high jump, so it slightly grazed my skin on my arm.

“Ah!” I groaned in pain. I just had a few more to go.

As I made my way through more, yelling in frustration every time one sizzled me a little bit, I was stopped by the last part.

It looked impossible to pass. They were moving. And they were in such a confusing pattern, I got a headache just looking at it.

They spun, cut through each other, switched diagonals, went across vertically and horizontally… it was a nightmare.

I didn’t see any way around it. And I didn’t see how I could possibly get through it. It was unpredictable. They didn’t even repeat the same pattern. It just went randomly.

I didn’t know how I would do it. But then I remembered how fast I dodged those blades. I didn’t predict those either, because they popped out of the walls. Maybe I could do this.

The problem was, the blades came one or two at a time. In this one, I couldn’t possibly look all around me at once.

I breathed in. I could do this. I had to. I wasn’t going to let beams of sizzling hot light stop me from saving lives.

I tested my shoe’s grip on the floor. It was surprisingly good. Then I looked at the moving lasers, studying them one last time.

I didn’t need to know the pattern. I just had to see them 

coming and dodge it. 

I charged. 

I leaped over the first one while jumping to one side, momentarily gripping to the wall with my shoe and hand. I pushed off from that side to the other one and ducked, while rolling on the floor. I bounced back up on my feet right when one was at my face, but I ducked. 

I had a sequence of jumps next, to dodge the fast spinning ones. I had to admit I was terrified. I thought any moment one would slice me in half.

But I did everything so perfectly. I saw each one come, but I didn’t know how. One time it felt like I was running along the wall until I fell back down and rolled. Another time I did a front flip in the air, and I didn’t know I could.

The last part I came to, it looked scary to me, but I took it no problem. I dodged each one perfectly and jumped over the last one, rolling on the ground and coming perfectly up.

I made it. I didn’t know how. But I made it, and I felt happy. I laughed, even.

I rested on the floor staring at the ceiling, the unsettling feeling in me subsiding. I stayed there for a few minutes.

Then Pyro called on the com. “Nix, are you through yet?”

I sat up and looked ahead. It was too short to have any other traps. “Yeah.”

“Good. I am too. Get to the elevator shaft.”

“Where’s that?”

“I’m entering the elevator right now,” he said. “Hurry! They’re getting suspicious at how slow I’m taking to walk to the elevator. You have to come right now!”

“Hold on a sec, Pyro.” I said. “How will I enter the elevator shaft?”

“End of the hallway, duh.”

I ran to the end of the corridor, and stopped myself from tumbling over the edge. I found myself looking at a giant shaft that went far downwards and upwards. I looked down to see an elevator down at the bottom of the shaft, staying still. 

“I’m here,” I told him.

“Good. I’ll be coming up in a sec.”

“Guards will escort you to the portal, right?”

“Yes. They’ll come with me to the elevator. I’ll knock them out and then you enter.”

I smiled. Pyro said when we enter the portal room an alarm will sound. So the plan was he would enter as an Ant and I would go through the ventilation shaft with all the traps. Then when I get on his elevator while he surprises and knocks out the guards, we enter the portal together. They’ll shut off the alarm because they know an Ant is entering, which was Pyro, but I would be there with him and they wouldn’t know.

“Coming up now.” he whispered after a few seconds. He turned off his com, probably because he didn’t want the guards escorting him to know he was talking to someone else.

I looked down again. I watched as the elevator from the first floor started going up. I counted the seconds. One, two, three. Then I jumped on it as it neared me.

My feet landed with a thud. I grabbed the escape hatch on the roof with both hands and pulled. I felt it budge and I stepped back as it busted open. I jumped in.

Inside, I found Pyro massaging his wrists, and two uncon-scious guards lying on the ground.

“Easy.” Pyro said as he pressed a couple of buttons on the control panel.

We leaned back against the railing in the shaft, humming or 

silently looking around casually. 

“Was the shaft hard?” Pyro asked me as he stared at the light on the ceiling.

“Yeah. Made it through though.” I said. 

The elevator was plain this time. Wooden walls, a single light on the roof, a metal railing rim around the interior. I wished it was like the last one, with all glass walls so we could see a great view of the city. But I saw the outside of the building. There was no glass chute that the elevator would go through, so I knew the elevator was inside the building, and not on the edge.

I knew it was going to be a fairly long ride, because we were going to the highest floor. Boring elevator music played in the speaker.

We ignored the bodies on the floor. Like they weren’t there. Like we were just two casual random kids riding an elevator to the Celestial Obelisk. 

Pyro tapped his finger against the rail he was leaning on to match the rhythm of the music. I stared intently at the doors, waiting for them to open. 

“What’re we going to find once we’re there?” I asked him.

“Another lobby. Bunch of hallways. Then we find the portal room. Don’t worry, no guards are going to escort us there. The ones right here are the ones who were supposed to, but I’m sure nobody would notice. It’s been a long time since an adventurer went in there. I’m probably the last one who did, actually. I went like maybe a few days before I ran away.”

“Why do adventurers go in there, anyway?” I asked.

“To try and find to the Queen, of course!” he explained. “Everybody wants to. I mean, we all have our hive mind connection to her, so we know when she orders us to do 

something, but nobody’s ever actually talked to Her Majesty.”

“Wouldn’t the first generation know her?”

He shook his head. “Nope. The Queen was the first ever one to be a new Ant. If anybody knew her, it would be you guys. But since she was the first Ant, she was the leader. She disappeared one day, and when more of us came, with our hive mind connection she ordered us to build a shrine in a temple where she would live in. Preferably somewhere not on the planet, so she would be safe. She was smart that way, because, well, look at the situation now. The humans want to kill Her.”

“So you guys built the Eternal Archives on the moon,” I said. “What then?”

“Well, we still don’t know who she is. She’s very mysterious. Adventurers go into the Archives to try and find her. None did, and most went insane.”

“Harsh,” I muttered. “So the creator didn’t even know her?”

“Nope,” he said. “Just built a home for her. People say that she was ancient, because she was the first new Ant ever born. They say she had all these celestial powers and that’s where the knowledge of the Eternity Hall comes from. They also say she is too busy to meet us because she’s keeping touch with other celestial beings around the universe.”

“Who might those be?”

“They say there are other people like her who achieved the secrets of the universe. I already told you, we don’t even know how she did it. We just followed her and built the Archives for her. Then her power flooded through it. The creator didn’t plan on the whispers. He didn’t plan on the portal.”

“So she’s like your, your goddess you follow or something?”

“Maybe. More like a leader. It’s strange, really. Very mysterious. Nobody’s gotten close to her ever since.”

Huh. All this stuff was so crazy I was starting to not believe in it. Maybe he was talking nonsense to scare me. Maybe all the legends are not true. I mean, I haven’t heard the whispers yet. I haven’t saw the portal yet. How can I believe Pyro?

Well, I guess I was about to find out. I was going to enter the Archives and find out myself if all this stuff is true or not. 

“Did you have a really hard time in there?” I asked Pyro.

He nodded. “I remember that, too. The Archives never, ever helps you. Also, I can really feel her power, Nix. She’s real, and she’s ancient. And it’s best not to disturb her.”

“This is your second time,” I said. “And this time we’re going to destroy your connection to the Queen.”

“Yeah. Why?”

“Well, if all the stuff you say is true, about how your race really wants to find out about her, how she created the Eternity Hall, then maybe we really shouldn't destroy it. Maybe it would even hurt her. Then you guys will never find out the mystery.”

He looked confused. “Nix, I think you’re going soft.”

“I’m not!” I said. “Just, we should think about this.”

“We already have,” he said. “We can sacrifice knowledge to stop the war. Okay? That’s the end to that. We’re destroying it.”

We were silent for a moment. So silent, the elevator music was a distant hum, and I could hear my own heartbeat.

Then I said, “Pyro…”

“Yes?”

“How did you… How did you find the Eternity Hall?”

He became angry. “Why would I tell you?”

“Because…”

“Because you want to go there yourself!” he said. “I can’t believe, after all we’ve told you�"”

“No!” I said. “I just want to know.”

“I won’t tell you.”

“But…”

“Because I know why you want to know. You want to know the truth. Of everything.”

“What?”

“Don’t tell me I’m wrong! You want to know why the war started. You want to know the reason why we’re here. Most of all, you want to find a way to get her back.”

“What? No!”

“Yes! Forget about her! She’s dead, and she’s never going to come back. You can’t just cheat the rules of the universe.”

“But…” my voice quivered. “It’s not cheating. She died unfairly.”

“She died because of you!”

“Why do you hate her so much?”

“Because of what your race did to me!”

The room got even more silent at that. Pyro’s eyes watered, and mine did too.

“You’ll never understand.”

“You won’t either.”

One second. Two seconds. Three.

Finally the door opened. 

Without a word we walked out of the elevator. We were now in a big lobby with glass walls, overlooking the city. I kept my cap on low and put on my hood. Not much people were up here, and I tried to pretend I was a regular person on a regular day. This is what it used to be like. Where human and Ant would go wherever they wished, and wouldn’t have to be undercover at all times.

Pyro and I went over to the counter. He said some stuff I couldn't hear, then he led me by the shoulder in the right 

direction.

“We’re heading for the portal room now,” he said.

“Are there any more defences?”

“Maybe.”

The hallway seemed to stretch on forever until Pyro led me to another one.

Suddenly he grabbed my shoulders and whipped me back.

“What?” I whispered.

“Cameras.”

I couldn’t believe we didn’t think of that. “Why’s that so important? I have a disguise on.”

“Only I registered to enter the Archives. You didn’t. They’ll notice two people, don’t you think?”

“What do we do?”

“Shh,” he peeked around the corner. 

“Get behind me,” he said. “At all times. Crouch low and turn around when I walk past the camera. Make sure it never sees you.”

“How will I do that?”

“We have to try.”

I gulped. “Okay, let’s do this.”

He moved along regularly, and I ducked behind him hiding myself from the camera. It was hard to spot; just a tiny light in the ceiling. Probably so intruders wouldn’t notice it, but Pyro did immediately. It made me wonder if he really did go to some sort of military school.

We executed the plan perfectly. I didn’t know if I made any mistakes, but no alarm rang and no guards came to stop us when we reached the end of the hallway.

We heard people around the corner, and Pyro instantly put me behind him. He rotated so his front was always to them, and 

waved with a forced smile. Then we moved on.

We came across a hallway with a surprise. When Pyro stepped, a plate sank to the floor. A scanner robot came down from the ceiling, and Pyro put me behind him quickly. It looked like an arm with a mechanical eye at the end.

Identify yourself. The computer voice spoke.

“Rippertorias Ionicscon.”

State your purpose.

“Portal room. Entering the Archives.”

The robot stopped for a moment to register that information. Pyro and I were as still as statues. He had said that the guards were supposed to be the ones doing this, but if it came from the actual adventurer that was going in, that was even better. So it should work.

Still, we waited. And anticipated. 

Registered. The robot finally said. Then it went past Pyro as if somebody was behind him.

And of course, someone was.

Identify yourself. It asked me in that robotic voice.

“Uhh…” I said, looking at Pyro for help.

Then, abruptly, its mechanical eye glowed red and its voice deepened. Intruder alert. Scanning… threat confirmed. Human.

Pyro reacted. He swung wildly at the machine, and it felt off the ceiling.

“We’re spotted,” he said. “Go!”

We sped through the hallway. Instantly, guards came from hallways out of nowhere, and we were surrounded. They all had rifles in their hands.

Pyro brought me down as they all fired at once. The shots flew over us and they shot each other in the chests. They stumbled back, briefly stunned by the bolts.

“Run!” Pyro said as we went for the doors at the end of the hallway. He shoved two that were in our way, still stunned, and we went into the room.

Pyro quickly jammed the locks with his fist. We made it into the portal room, but the guards were still banging on the doors and firing at them.

The portal room was huge. Like, massively big. It was at the top of the tower, so we had a glass frame with a view of everything in the city. Steps with carpets that ran along the centre led up to something in the centre of the room… except there was nothing there. 

I looked up and saw the huge Celestial Obelisk pointing straight up above us. We were so high up, I felt dizzy and afraid I might fall off when I looked outside the glass walls. 

“What was that?” I asked Pyro when we were safe.

“I dunno,” he said. “That wasn’t there the last time I came in, I swear. They’ve added new security.”

The banging and yelling behind the door got louder. “Where’s the port�"” I was about to say when two turrets jutted out from the floor, whirring to life.

We both knew what to do. Pyro went in front of me and tapped his wrist. A shield flickered on his arm and the blasts bounced off it harmlessly.

I grabbed my gun out of my holster and took careful aim on each one, blasting them and frying their circuits. 

Two more popped from the walls behind us, and we turned around as they fired. I gave them the same fate as the first two, and the commotion ended quickly.

“Phew,” I said. 

We backed up slowly, still with the shield, and looked around the room for more traps, but they didn’t come.

“Come on,” Pyro said as the shield flickered off and he went up the steps. 

We came to where I thought the portal would be, but there was absolutely nothing there. Maybe Pyro was lying about it. There was no such thing as portals.

“We’re finished,” I told him as we stared at the spot.

“Nope. It’s right there.”

“Where?”

Pyro took an electrocution disc from his belt and flicked it to the spot. Instantly, in the blink of an eye, it disappeared with no sound. 

“What the�"”

Then Pyro put his arm in. It seemed to sink into nowhere, and suddenly his arm was not on his body.

“Whoa!”

Then he moved his arm to the side, and it reappeared. There was no sound. There was no ripple in the air. There was no explanation.

“It’s one dimensional,” he said as if that would make sense to me. “Just a straight line, running from the bottom of the protection shaft we built around it in the middle of the building, to the very edge of space. As far as we know, only things our size can fit through. But still, we don’t recommend planes to fly over our building.”

“That’s so cool,” I said. 

The banging on the door stopped. Pyro’s face filled with fear. 

“They’re going to ram through,” he said. “We better�"”

“Get in,” I finished for him. “Come on!”

I stepped near the portal when suddenly the doors bursted open. 

Guards spilled in, and the one who rammed through the doors yelled, “Freeze!”

“In we go!” Pyro jumped in first. His whole body disappeared like he was never here to begin with. Nervousness creeped into my body, and as I moved in, the guard at the doors yelled to me, “Kid, don’t!”

I froze.

“You don’t know what’s beyond there,” he said, almost like he was pleading. “I’m just trying to protect you. If you go, you’ll be in the most dangerous place in the universe. You’ll go insane. Please, step down.”

I looked at the floor. I know I should’ve believed him. Everything he said was true. 

“Don’t,” he repeated. “It’s suicide. You’ll feel pain you’ve never imagined before.”

I finally brought my gaze up to meet his eyes, and I know what I needed to do. I know why I had to do this. I know how much people who want the war to subside so they could live in peace. How much people want the war to stop because of the loved ones they’ve lost. 

How much people counted on me.

Everyone on this planet, and beyond.

“Why are you doing this?” the guard asked.

“I have to,” I told him. 

Then I turned and ran into the portal, as they fired their rifles behind me.

And after that, I don’t know how I felt. I just know I saw nothing. Absolutely nothing. For once in my life I knew what a blind person saw. No colours. Not even white, not even black. Just… clear.

I don’t know how to explain it. The experience was just too 

mind-melting. And… weird.

And then I felt my body being lifted, and it went numb. I couldn’t feel anything. Like my body was ripped from me along with my nerves and turned one dimensional.

Then I passed out, heading straight for the Eternal Archives.


.  .  .

I woke up. 

Weirdly, my body didn’t ache. In fact, it felt fresh and new, like I took a shower and a nap.

My suit was changed as well. It’s clean with no grime, sweat, and dirt. 

I felt refreshed.

Pyro is next to me, groaning. Although, he was fine too, and he looks clean. The place seemed to glow with an aura everywhere, and it blurred my vision at the edges. 

We were on a dais, with a flight of steps leading down to a long red carpet that stretched down the end of the hallway. 

We were in a massive hall so big, it would’ve fit the biggest cruise ship in the world. Gold trimmed white banners hung from the ceiling on the walls every fifty metres, with ancient-looking symbols. The red carpet was so wide, it looked like a giant tongue of a monster. It had gold trim at the edges and went perfectly down the hallway. Boxes of soil lined the sides every few metres, with luminous trees planted on them that held glowing fruit. Rectangle pools of reflective water sat along the sides, as still as possible, with no ripples. 

The floor was marble white and so shiny, my reflection looked perfect, untouched with no disorientation. The walls were gold, white, and sometimes purple. Sometimes light blue lines were etched in the walls; long pillars of light that shot 

straight up.

There were some glass frames in the ceiling, high above, bearing an amazing view of outer space. The stars sparkled brightly.

Hedges lined the interior, and the whole place glowed with artificial light. At the far end of the hallway, huge wind pipes were in an arced triangle formation, like a pipe organ. They glowed solid gold.

If you want a description of the Archives all in just one word, it would be: beautiful.

“Whoa,” I muttered. I’ve never seen anything like it. It felt warm inside, and it also seemed so bright. It was amazing.

Pyro stood up next to me, flattening his suit. “Impressed?”

I nodded, with my mouth still open.

“What happened to you?” I asked him. 

He picked up the electrocution disc he threw into the portal earlier from the floor. 

“I fell on this. Ow!” He rubbed his back. “Stupid disc!”

“Where do we go?” I asked him.

“Straight, duh.” he said. “This is the entrance hall.”

I stepped down first. As soon as I walked down the final step, a ringing sound goes off in my mind and I get a splitting headache.

“Ugh!” I said, clutching the sides of my head and falling to my knees.

“Does that to newbies,” Pyro said, just standing there.

“Aren’t you going to help me?” I asked, the ringing in my head getting louder.

“There’s not much I can do.” 

I clenched my teeth as I tried to hold it in. It was unbearable. There were a ton of whispers in my head, just like Pyro told me, and it sounded like there were millions of them, all speaking in hushed, soothing tones I couldn’t understand.

But some of them I could. And I didn’t like it.

You are pathetic.

You are a disgrace.

You are a failure. A fool.

I fell forward and held myself up with my arms, sweat trickling down my face as my eyes were shut tightly. I listened even though I didn’t want to. 

What are you doing? This is no place you should be. Come and take my route to your freedom. Because that’s what this place is. Just a prison. You don't deserve a prison, do you?

Somehow, I believed it. I started walking forward blindly, until I heard Pyro’s words.

“They’re lies,” he said to me. 

“I know,” I said guiltily, and I don’t even know how it happened.

Go back home, it continued, go back to your family. End your misery. Just follow me.

“Argh!” I yelled, and I could barely walk. I stumbled forward, but still fell to the floor.

“Fight it,” Pyro said. “Never trust it.”

“How’d you ever get past this place?” I groaned. 

“I taught myself to resist it. But I told you, I barely came out sane. I even forgot about most of my time here. It’s all a blur. 

I shuddered at the thought of that. Would I lose my memory? I didn’t want that to happen to me. Maybe going here wasn’t such a good idea after all.

“Shut up,” I told the whispers, because I knew that they were making me think that way.

“What?” Pyro asked.

“How do we know they won’t follow us?” 

He looked back at the spot we materialized from. “They won’t. I’m one hundred percent sure. I told you, you’d be crazy to have an idea like going into the Eternal Archives.”

I glared at him. “Thanks.”

“What? Just being honest. Anyways, we have to find the core. Come on.”

He helped me up. I almost stumbled again, but he caught me. He put an arm around me to help me walk.

“Ugh…” I said. I didn’t feel very well.

“It’s like a mental injury,” he said. “You’ll be fine.”

Together we trudged forward. The whispers in my head were still there, but they were faint. I got so creeped out about that. I felt like they were permanently trapped in my head now. If I ever escaped the Archives, they would still be there, haunting me.

“Remember what I told you about what the Archives will do?” Pyro asked me.

I nodded weakly. My face must’ve been pale with sweat. “It’ll try to split us up the best it can.”

“Yeah. Don’t worry, I’ve got you man. What is it saying to you?”

My head ached when he said that. I didn’t want to hear more of its voice. It was too painful. 

“It told me… it told me to go back home.”

He nodded. “Don’t let it tempt you.”

“I know.”

Or do you? it said. Follow me, and I’ll show you the way.

I bit my lip, trying not to listen. But it was just as Pyro had said. It was in my head, and I couldn’t do anything but listen to it. I wished there was a way to stop it.

Poor, poor, Nix. Let me lead you. To the place you’ve always dreamed of. A place with much knowledge about the past. 

I really hoped it wasn’t talking about what I hoped it wasn't talking about.

You’ll find your dear; here. Right in this place. All you have to do is follow.

May?

Yes. Follow. I’ll lead you to the Eternity Hall.

“Nix, what are you doing?”

I opened my eyes. I was out of Pyro’s grasp. I had walked forward all by myself.

“What happened?” I asked him. 

“I… I don’t know. The world just spun, and suddenly you’re there.”

I looked down at myself. How did I get out of Pyro’s hold?

The ringing in my head went off again, and I closed my eyes, trying to stop the pain from flowing.

Suddenly, I still felt Pyro’s arm around me�"no, the sensation was always there. I hadn’t left.

“What just�"”

“What?” he asked. 

“I think I just had an illusion.”

“You’re still here,” he said, obviously.

“I know,” I said, then groaned. “How much farther?”

“We’re almost there,” he said.

Yes, almost to the Eternity Hall. Just come closer, and you’ll gain vast amounts of knowledge.

“Stop,” I told Pyro, and we do so.

“What?”

“It’s telling me that’s the way to the Eternity Hall,” I said, looking at the end of the hallway.

Pyro looked like he was about to say something, then became confused. “Yeah. It’s telling me that too.”

But something nagged at the back of my head. A voice. A memory. A reason.

“No,” I said, like I’m arguing with myself. “That’s not the way. You said it never shows you the way.”

“What?”

“That’s not the way to the Eternity Hall. That’s the way we need to go.”

Pyro agreed with me, because we kept going. I had no injuries, but I felt like I did, like I couldn’t walk. Even though my legs were perfectly fine.

My mind was still hurting. Too much whispers in my head. Telling me that this was the way. That this wasn’t the way. That I was aiming blindly. That I was off the right course. That I was a pathetic little boy that couldn’t possibly achieve this mission.

I had almost believed it, but then Pyro gasped, and his eyes went wide. He let go of me and clutched his head.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s…” he sounded like he was distracted. “Nothing.”

But then Pyro started walking forward. To a particular spot that wasn’t very special.

He was in an illusion. I had to stop him, or the Archives would split us.

But suddenly there were whispers in my head too. 

Give up. Don’t try. This is useless. THIS IS SUICIDE. 

The words were overpowering. I couldn’t concentrate. And before I knew it, I started walking too. The other direction Pyro was.

I couldn’t stop myself. It was soothing me with a helpful tone. It began telling me directions to the Eternity Hall. 

But then I remembered something. Probably the only thing left in my sanity. 

A promise. A promise that was committed to keep.

Whatever you do, don’t even think about going into the Eternity Hall.

I couldn’t follow the whispers.

“No,” I told it. They stopped.

I looked around. I didn’t know how Pyro got that far.

I started to walk towards him. When I reached him, he was suddenly not there.

I looked around. He wasn’t anywhere. 

I got scared. What if the Archives already separated us? What if we already failed?

I told myself that was the Archives messing with me. I squinted and took one last look around me, and I found him.

He was staring into space. 

I came over to him. 

“They’re gone,” he said. I know exactly what he was talking about.

“They are, Pyro. Don’t let the whispers fool you.”

He wiped his face on his sleeve. “We have to keep moving.”

We continued forward down the hall. 

On the way I thought of something. “Pyro, I have to make sure you’re real.”

He nodded like he understood. “Yeah.”

“Where did you meet me?”

“In your alley, duh. I was scavenging for food, hiding from your race. Until you found me.”

“What am I thinking of?”

“May.”

“What? No, I was thinking about cookies!”

He laughed. “No you weren’t.”

“I’ll admit that,” I said. “But I wasn’t thinking about her.”

“She’s dead, too. Just like my parents and hers.” 

I sighed and looked ahead. “I know.”

And then, I had a flashback. It was nighttime, as usual. We were nine. I was bringing a few cookies in a napkin up the stairs. This time I had failed to hide them from my mother.

“Where are you taking those, honey?” she called from the bottom of the stairs, holding up a vacuum cleaner. 

“Um…” I said. “I’m hungry. I want a snack.”

“You know you can’t bring food upstairs. Do you want Ants in your room?”

My hands got sweaty, and I thought of something to say.

“Just this time, please?” I said sweetly. I decided to just plead for it. My mother could never stay mad at me, except for when I ran away. But that wasn’t until later.

She thought about it. “Okay, I guess. I’m going to clean upstairs after this if you make a mess anyway. But you should know you could just come and eat down here�"”

“I want to eat in my room,” I told her.

She nodded and went back to cleaning, and I went upstairs. 

I opened the door to my room and handed May the cookies.

“Mmm,” she said. “They’re so good.”

“Homemade,” I told her. 

“Cookies are my weakness,” she said as she munched happily. “I’ll do anything for them.”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “Because of that night, right?”

She nodded. “And they’ve always been my favourite food. Back at home.”

“I wish they were my weakness,” I said.

“Why? What’s yours?”

“Well,” I said, “I always want to know everything. People bribe me for information. I’m curious.”

“Why?”

“It just explains who I am,” I remember saying. “That’s just me. I like knowing things.”

“But you’re already too smart.”

I beamed with pride. “Thank you. But I want to know why we’re here in this world. They don’t teach you that in school, do they?”

“You don’t need to know,” I remember her saying. “You’re just here, that’s what matters.”

I smiled, and I remember believing her words. 

“Find any orphanages lately?” I asked her.

She shook her head miserably. 

Then my father knocked on the door. May and I knew the drill. My parents always came to me to say good night.

She hid in the closet and I told my father to come in.

He sat down on the bed beside me.

“What’s up?” he had always asked me. 

“Nothing,” I usually say. “Just thinking about my weak-ness.”

My father sighed. “Curiosity isn’t a weakness, Nix. It’s a valuable trait that you have.”

“But what if I have to make a choice? Find out answers to every question in the world, or save someone?”

My father looked at me straight in the eyes. “I believe you will have to, Nix. There will be a time where you will have to make a choice, and your weakness might choose for you. Believe me, I’ve seen many things in my life. The thing is, when that choice comes, you’ll have to be ready. You have to remember your weakness. And, most important of all, you have

 to make the right choice.”

“What is the right choice?” I asked him.

“Well Nix, I’m sure when the time comes, you’ll know.” he answered. “You should know, because you have to. When that time comes, you have to remember what is greater, knowledge or life. It might be a life of someone you don’t even know, and it might be knowledge greater than the universe. But try to see yourself in this. And know that that someone you have a choice to save, is a person like you. Because Nix, you are human. And curiosity is a trait that makes you one. If it were a weakness, you wouldn’t be my son.”

“But you told me to remember my weakness when the time comes,” I said. “So it is one?”

My father laughed and kissed my forehead. “Good night, Nix.”

He left my room, and as soon as he closed the door May came out of the closet.

“He’s right, Nixy.” she told me. 

I had a smile of success, because that was the first time she and my father agreed on something.

“What?” she had asked.

And that was the first time I realized that curiosity was a good trait, even though it didn’t help you in most situations. 

Because humans have the right to wonder. Have the right to imagine, and create. Movies, books, TV shows, media, it was all created because of the question, what if?

Humans are meant to be curious, and seek for knowledge. That’s what we had taught the Ants. We taught them that you have to be curious about everything.

Because that’s what made you a living thing. That’s what made you human. 

“Nix?” Pyro said. “What happened?”

I had stopped moving. 

“You were frozen, and you just stared straight ahead. I couldn’t move you.”

I rubbed my forehead. “Vision.”

He nodded. “I guess that’s what I looked like the first time I entered here.” He looked straight ahead. “Come on. We’re almost to the end.

We kept walking onwards, and it felt like the whispers subsided a bit. I still heard them, but I felt like my mind was clear. Wait, no. They were as loud as ever. I was just getting used to them. I didn’t know if that was a good or bad thing, or a scary thing. 

We walked to the end of the hall, when suddenly we reached a blank wall. How come I didn’t notice this before?

“Dead end,” I told Pyro, but he didn't listen. Instead he raised his fist and smashed through the wall. A hole crumbled into it, and stone and dust sputtered into the air. Then it all magically cleared to reveal a doorway.

“Illusion,” he told me as we walked through.

We came to a room exactly as big as the first one, but now there were hallways branching to the sides. To our left and to our right. They looked exactly identical as all the other hallways.

Pyro pointed left. “That way… it just feels like it.”

I decide to trust him for now, and calm my nerves. One wrong turn could end up for us turning crazy, but I didn’t tell him that. Because Pyro told me there was only one path that lead to the Infinity Chamber. So one wrong turn and we end up walking around the whole moon. 

I decided to take my mind off other things. Of course, I 

couldn’t get away from the annoying whispers in my head. I winced every time they went loud, or said something regrettable. 

Why did you take this journey? It will only end up in death.

Why did you run away? Twice?

Why did you want to give the cure to the Ants?

Why did you take her in, and not follow your parents?

Why did you let them both die?

My whole life was a why did you. 

“So what keeps the oxygen alive here?” I asked Pyro. “And how did they get it in here?”

He shrugged. “I guess that’s why the trees are here in the first place. We tried to make the moon possible to live in, because, you know. You guys told us that ever since the North Pole incident, sea levels rose a lot. And there wasn’t enough space on land for us. That’s why some of us live in space stations. We tried making a colony here, where we would grow our food and stuff, but as you know the moon was too desolate to live whole lives on. It’s boring, too. No cool landscapes or cities. So we just built the Archives here. And tried to fill it with oxygen for explorers. And for the Queen, obviously. We know she’s in here, somewhere. She lives here, after all. And we’ve been trying for decades to find her. No such luck.”

“And you say nobody’s even met her.”

“Yup.”

“So how do you know she’s real? Does she speak to you guys or something?”

“We know she’s real because all Ant colonies have a leader,” he said. “And because, yeah, at the start she told us to build the Archives. But that’s all she’s said to us. And we know she’s real because how else would all this celestial power be real too?”

I couldn’t disagree. 

But I could barely listen. No matter what I did, the whispers were just there. They couldn’t be stopped. They couldn’t be unheard. Wherever I went in the Archives, they were there.

“Ah!” I stopped walking when they got too overpowering. 

“Take your time,” Pyro advised. “Take deep breaths and relax. Let your mind cool down.”

“I suppose you don’t have an ice pack?” I told him. Even though I didn’t want to, I listened. It was a hushed, smooth voice, like a hissing snake. 

Find the Eterrrrrrnity Hall. Thisss way, dear. This way.

It took all my willpower not to obey. I had to keep a promise.

“Urgh!” I said frustratingly, as the pain brought me down on my knees. Instead of making it better, it only felt worse. Trying to clear my mind gave me a splitting pain in between my eyes.

I blinked a few times, and it finally subsided. 

“Nix, hurry!” Pyro suddenly said. I heard colossal roars and massive stomping from behind us. I turned around, and I saw the end of the hallway. Had we really went that far already?

“It’s coming,” Pyro said. “We have to go. Now.”

I looked up at him and squinted. “You didn’t say anything about creatures.”

“Learn the hard way,” he said. He held out his hand and helped me up.

We ran. Running form what, I didn’t know. It felt like every second time was slowing down, and the roars got closer.

It took a few minutes to reach the end of the hallway. By that time the roars were so close, it felt like the monster was right behind us.

“Hurry!” Pyro said through the gateway.

I didn’t dare look back. Something told me that I shouldn’t. I raced for the gateway. As soon as I passed, the roar was impossibly close. In fact, it was right in my ears. As loud as ever. It was so startling, I jumped.

And I awakened in a new scene. Back in reality. I sat up on the cold marble floor, and Pyro was looming over me.

“You went unconscious,” he told me.

“Where’s the creature?”

“What?”

“The one chasing us.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I never said anything about a creature.”

I grabbed his hand and got up. More déjà vu. It was another illusion. It must’ve happened when I tried to blink the pain out of my head.

“How far did we go?” I asked Pyro.

“Seriously? Still at the beginning of the second hallway.”

I groaned. At this rate, we would never find the Infinity Chamber.

“Whispers say the Eternity Hall is that way,” he pointed to another branch in the mega sized hallway.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Are you trying to tempt me?”

He shook his head. “You’re not the only one that’s being tempted, okay?”

“What do you want answers for?”

He ignored me.

I decided not to go in more on his personal thoughts. “We’re not going that way, then.”

“Nope. Core’s that-a-way.”

I smiled. “That’s such old english.”

We kept going on. Soon we reached the hallway without any

 more serious incidents, and walked into a new room. 

It was still the same. The bright banners, the majestic carpet that went through the whole hallway, the steps leading down from a dais, the glowing trees. Although now there were a few hedges.

The ceiling was usual. A complicated pattern of golden beams through a white ceiling, weaving an intricate design, with some spaces in between covered with clear glass panes, overlooking the night sky. Or, the black emptiness of space speckled with dots of light, if you would call it. To me, it would always be the night sky, because I belonged to earth.

I felt a little homesick, even though I hadn’t been gone for even a few hours yet. 

Or was I? It was hard to tell time in this place. And of course with the whispers in my head, all jumbled at once, it was impossible to tell the time. They were like a bunch of news reporters all talking over each other. In whispers.

Yes. These are feelings that you shouldn’t be ashamed of. You  

belong to earth, and you shall forever stay there. Go. Go back home, and greet your family in surprise. They’ll be very happy to see you, and they will tell you that letting you go on this journey was a mistake. One, big, mistake. 

How? I asked it. How would I go home?

Yes, it whispered. Go back home.

Home.

Was this all one big mistake? Was I just dreaming that finding the Infinity Chamber was possible? Was the whole concept of this situation a mistake?

Back on earth, the humans and Ants were still deep in focus in their torrential war. They were probably ripping each other to pieces, right at this very moment. 

I wanted it to stop.

Ever since I was six, I’ve wanted this to stop. And if I just get to the place I want to go, then it will. I have to destroy the Infinity Core. Nothing could fool or stop me from that.

Except for the fact that if they really were fighting right now, what would happen? Would all Ant soldiers fall to the floor with their memory erased, and the humans would slaughter them defenceless? No, I couldn’t do this. I didn’t want that to happen either. 

I remember having thoughts like that. Then, more thoughts that countered that. Like, You’ll be hated. You’ll be discri-minated. You won’t be considered a human.

Wait. That wasn’t my voice. Those were the whispers.

They’ll die. Do you really want that?

Guilt filled my stomach. No, I did not want that.

Good. Then don’t destroy the Infinity Core.

Okay, I won’t.

No, that wasn’t what I wanted. I remembered a vague memory of Pyro telling me something. 

It’ll try to take your will from you. Stop you from your mission.

Right now, I couldn’t afford letting anything stop me from my mission. I don’t care if I’ll be hated. I had to what was right.

What is wrong, they corrected me. You are wrong.

I can find the Infinity Chamber. Without friends, probably not. But I wasn’t alone. 

If my race had some kind of hive mind too, with a separate temple and core, I would’ve chose to go for that instead. I would rather destroy that one. Except we don’t have one. That’s one of our advantages. While the Ants have one mind and fight as one being, we don’t have to. We have nations. We like to be 

independent.

So I guess the Ants have the advantage in this war. They could tell each other about a coming attack when they are kilometres apart. Probably tell the whole race is there was a coming attack. But it was also a weakness, if we find their core and destroy it.

Besides, if we did have one, I probably wouldn’t like destroying that either. I’d lose my memory.

Pyro.

This whole time, I’d forgotten. Pyro would lose his memory. I’d lose my friend. My last friend. I didn’t want that either.

“Maybe we shouldn’t destroy the core,” I told him, ignoring the approving whispers. I told him this so many times, but this time I really meant it. “So many cons. You’d lose your memory. And once the military finds out that someone destroyed the core, they’d launch their nukes as fast as possible.”

He’ll be fine, a whisper told me.

“I’ll be fine,” Pyro said as if he agreed. “Well, maybe I won’t. But seriously, you have to take this risk. You can’t let anything stop you from the mission, remember?”

“I know…” I said sadly. “But it comes at such a price.”

“Then start a company and gain your profit back,” he said. “You can rebuild. You can tell the General before he launches his attacks, that you guys can teach us again. You guys can set things right. Teach us not to betray you this time.”

“But I don’t even know why that started. Why did your race break our Alliance?”

“I don’t know.”

“It’ll happen again, I know it. Humanity will face another war, and this time we’ll be weak. And this time there won’t be another hero like me to save them.”

“How do you know?” he said. “There might be. Maybe if you give the military the cure.”

“What’s so important about this stupid cure anyway? It won’t help with the war. Just stop some stupid disease that I’ve never seen.”

“It’ll help more than you realize,” Pyro said. 

“Yeah. I know. The bomb carries the disease and the cure is the only thing that can stop it.”

“Yeah,” he said unsurely. “Maybe.”

We reached the end of the hallway. Pyro told me to go right this time, and I wasn’t so confident that we were going the right way.

“Did you navigate this place perfectly the first time you came?” I asked him.

He shook his head, trying to remember. “I told you already all the details I could remember.”

“So you must’ve been lucky you made it out alive and sane, even if you didn’t remember anything at that time.”

“Not so much,” he said. “I came back to the world I remembered. A world where I’m hated by both sides.”

“It’s okay,” I assured him. “We’ll take one side. Then you’ll be a hero to the other.”

As soon as I said it, I regretted it. Pyro wasn’t going to live through this. At least, not mentally. 

Pyro winced as if in pain. “Never remind me that again.”

I silently agreed.

We walked on for what seemed like hours. At least, that was the best I could manage. Time felt weird in this place, like it didn’t count. Like the fourth dimension was shut off somehow. I didn’t know how to explain it. 

As we walked through the endless hallways, we were still 

getting attacked by the whispers. Sometimes I had to kneel down and take it in, like they started ringing. I covered my ears like I was hearing it, but somehow it’s not like that. It’s in your mind. So covering my ears wouldn’t work. 

Pyro sometimes got an illusion of his past. One time we got hungry and tired. I suggested we should sleep.

“Never sleep in the Archives,” he told me.

“Why?”

He made a confused face. “I think… I think something bad happened to me while I did that. But I couldn’t remember everything after I dozed off.”

“Perhaps that’s why you lost your memory?” I asked. “Maybe because you slept?”

“Probably,” he said. “It would make sense. Sleep is when your brain is the most active, so it would be a perfect chance for the whispers to strike and make your brain fuzzy. And I… I sort of remember now. Once I entered the Eternity Hall my thoughts cleared and I was back conscious.”

“Strange,” I said. “Maybe you were insane. Then the Hall cured you.”

He shrugged. “Sure. Anyways, we should be getting closer to the Chamber.”

“How close?” I asked him.

Not close enough. Turn back now.

“I don’t know,” he answered. “We could be on the other side of the whole moon from it, for all I could know.”

I felt numb. I hoped that wasn’t it.

But what if that was it?

“Okay,” I said. “Just keep directing. We have like, what, eight hours left?”

No. You have no time left. You have to get the cure to the 

military now.

I didn’t let it tempt me this time.

“Yeah. Eight at most. Six at the least? I can’t tell.”

I was glad that I wasn’t the only one that felt weird when thinking about time in this place.

Then, at the end of the hall, where two branches split apart, I saw a figure run around the corner. And the coat he was wearing?

It looked a lot like Jake’s coat.

“Whoa. Jake?” I yelled down the corridor. 

No answer. I decided to run after him. Pyro would be fine alone for a while, right?

I ran to the end of the hall. I turned a corner, and saw the figure just run past to another hallway.

I sprinted toward him, my shoes squeaking against the marble. My heartbeat quickened, and I had tunnel sight.

I turned another corner before Pyro grabbed me by the collar.

“Whoa!” he said. “Take it easy, Nix! We can’t get separated, remember?”

I took deep breaths. I’ve been tricked again. How was I fooled so easily? Jake was dead. 

I sighed. “I thought he was alive.”

Pyro nodded like he knew who I was talking about. “Would be great if he was. But we have other issues. That’s the right way, I think. Come on, we better hurry. The longer you stay here the more insane you become, remember? We have to get out of here. Not good for our health.”

I nodded. Not good for our mental health. But we still had to find the Chamber.

The whispers went back to what they regularly said. 

Why did you run away, young one? Why did you abandon her? Did you know that she hated you? Do you know that she hated your parents?

Tears filled my eyes as we reached the end of our hallway. It seemed like Pyro was too busy to notice, because he was crying too, like he was being reminded of past memories as well.

Do you know how much the General hates you for killing his son? Why did you let him die? It was your fault, you know. You were in the control room. So why didn’t you control the situation? Did you plan wrongly? Yes, that’s what you did. You planned wrongly.

Twice, even. Why did you let them take her? Was it a failed plan, or did you not have the power to take her back? Or perhaps you let that happen?

Did you know why it happened? Do you know how? You should know your allies better than your enemies. Do you? Maybe you should take some insight.

What was it talking about? 

Alive, it whispered. She is still alive. 

That, I couldn’t trust. May wasn’t alive. I lead myself to believe she is dead. Pyro told me his kind wouldn’t spare a single human.

She is still alive. Here.

Suddenly my head filled with mind-splitting pain. I yelled and dropped to the ground in heavy suffering, clenching my fists against my head. 

I couldn’t hear anything. Pyro must’ve been yelling, but I couldn’t hear him. It was like my senses were shut off. I only felt his arm pull me up, but that sensation was fading too. 

He helped me walk across to the end of the hall. I barely limped along as the pain got more intense and louder. I 

couldn’t seem to breathe. 

ALIVE, it yelled. SHE IS ALIVE. AND SHE IS HERE.

I must’ve yelled some more, but I couldn’t hear myself. It felt like my brain was splitting in half. Of course, that couldn’t be possible because there were no nerves on my brain, but it sure felt like it was ripping apart in two sides, and my mind was going numb.

That’s what if felt like. My head hurt so much, it went numb. My mouth went numb, so I couldn’t yell anymore. My ears were ringing. The whispers got even more intense.

I dropped out of Pyro’s hold and crashed down onto the floor. My forehead was sweating, and my eyes were clenched tightly, trying to hold in the pain, but no such luck. It seemed to get more intense. Now it felt like a creature was trying to break through my skull.

SHE IS HERE.

It was talking about the Queen. That’s what it was talking about. For some reason it wanted me to find the Queen.

I was sweating through concentration so much, the drops fell to the cold marble floor. My fists were clenched so tight, my nails felt like daggers. The pain just got more intense.

I felt Pyro helping me to get up. He dragged me around his shoulders to the end of the hallway. I couldn’t see, but I was sure we reached a new one.

YOU WILL FIND HER.

I finally gained enough strength and opened my eyes to look around the room. It was different, but the same. Only the size of the hallway was shorter. Things still glistened around the room.

Then Pyro dropped, like all of a sudden he started to hear what I did. I fell along too, and we both crashed on the ground, holding ourselves up. Pyro was trying to claw his way forward, sweat trickling down his head, while I was staying still and trying to stop the pain.

Stop! I told the whispers. They were so intense, I almost couldn’t hear my own thoughts.

SHE IS HERE. SHE IS ALIVE.

AND YOU HAVE FOUND HER.

Suddenly, it stopped. Everything stopped. Like an illusion. The ringing in my head, the intense whispers, even time itself. I saw leaves from the trees stop in midair. I saw the water’s silent ripples stop moving. I even saw the stars outside, that never stopped moving like the moon was rotating, stop completely. 

The pain stopped. The ringing stopped. Even my heart stopped beating. 

And then the whispers fade. One by one. The silence was so eerie I was scared to death for a moment, until it said one final thing to me. 

She’s here.

Because at the end of the hallway, standing on a large podium, was May.












18: The Truth 

At first, I thought it was an illusion. But somehow�"something told me that it wasn’t.

I picked myself up of the floor with all the strength I had left. Pyro didn’t stop shaking. He was still on the ground, clutching his head. He told me once, that a friend couldn’t help a friend in the Archives, so I left him on his own.

I stepped towards May.

I was scared, I’ll admit. I kept telling myself this was an illusion, and that she wasn’t really here. That couldn’t have been possible. She couldn’t have got past the security in the building by herself.

“May?” I called.

No answer. She was still, her expression blank.

“May?” I tried again. “What happened? They took you. How are you here?”

There was a deathly tense moment of silence. 

“The… the Ants,” she finally spoke, her voice a quiver. “The Ants showed me. They saved me, Nix.”

“What…” I said, my voice nervous as I crept closer, “what do you mean?”

“They showed me everything,” she said. “I know the truth. I know what we’ve done.”

“What?”

“They showed me the way.” She looked down. “They made me do things I didn’t want to do. I murdered your… your… your folks.”

I raised my eyebrows, surprised. This had to be some sort of 

test from the Archives.

“Yes,” she said, a malicious tone in her voice. “I lit your house up in flames and watched it burn.”

Oh man. Oh, no, no, no. 

Realization hit me like a painful rice sack to the face. I knew what she was talking about.

A burning house in the suburbs. Confirmed crime scene, as the victims were asleep. 

This morning. When I woke up. It was on the News and I didn’t even care or realize.

“That couldn’t be you,” I said shakily. “That�"”

“Yes!” May said. “I did that! The Ants ordered me to!”

“But why?” I said, my voice faltering. “You wouldn’t do that. They've corrupted you. This is some sort of test.” I looked around, looking for Ants or cameras. “From the Ants.”

She shook her head. “I… I chose accept the task. Because of how they treated me unfairly back then.”

But… how could that be?

Pyro was still moaning on the floor somewhere behind me. I couldn’t look back. Not after what I heard. 

“Why…”

I saw her slip out a knife from behind her. A sharp, small blade that was gripped tightly in her hand.

“They’ve ordered me to kill you too,” she said, tears in her eyes. “But… I can’t. I just… can’t.”

She dropped the knife to the floor.

“It’s not too late,” I said. “Come home with us.”

“No. I can’t do that either. They’ll kill me.”

“I won’t let that happen.”

“But…” she said, “you already did.”

I frowned and looked away. 

Why? they whispered to me. Why did you let them take her? Now she is corrupted.

Shut up, I told it.

May reached out a hand and brushed a tear off my cheek. “I can’t go back,” she said. “Not after I’ve proved my loyalty.”

I put my hand over hers on my face. “You hate the Ants. This is not you. You’re not real.”

She shook her head. “I am real. Don’t let the Archives trick you from that.”

She was real. At least, I felt that she was real. The Ants had actually let her go. I knew that they still had hearts. The Ants, the ones who started the war, the ones everybody thinks of as a cruel, killing race, let one person go. Maybe they remembered how they slaughtered everyone in her hometown six years ago. Maybe they felt sorry.

“No,” I said. “I still think this is a test. The Ants are watching, right now. You would’ve never killed my�"my parents.”

“I chose to do it, Phoenix. I was driven by pure hate, I’ll tell you that.”

“They were sorry!”

“I know,” she said guiltily. 

Phoenix. Nobody’s said that word in a very long time. 

I couldn’t believe this. Suddenly, I saw how such a big miracle it was for Jack to follow us. I finally understood his importance on this journey.

If he had stayed back home, he would’ve died.

Now I was glad for my brother. I stopped seeing him as a sneaky, misguided little child that followed me everywhere now. I was glad that he followed me.

“I hated them,” she repeated. 

I shook my head, trying my best not to believe her.

“We can run away again,” she said. “Away from everything. From this war, from this mess. Just… give up your dream of destroying the Infinity Core.”

I stepped back. “You’ve been corrupted by the Ants,” I said. “What’ve they done to you?”

“Nothing.” But as she said it, I just began to notice how pale she was. Her eyes were bloodshot.

“They gave you cordyceps,” I said, hoping that she’d proved me wrong.

But her nod confirmed it. She stared at a spot on the floor, breaking down in sobs.

I finally understood. 

It controls your mind and turns you into something like a zombie, Pyro had said. 

It’s too horrible how much I’ve researched it, how much I’ve seen what it could do to people, the scientist had told us. 

I was actually there when I saw what the disease did to him before they realized he was beyond help. It was… terrible. Never want to see something like it again in my life, May had said.

The mayor got scared. He turned our town into a bacteria-free zone. Ordered random check-ups. Doctors were busy. And the whole town shared the fear, too. And Nix, what the disease did to the man, I can’t even explain. It just... it just looks like something you can’t cure.

The disease was the one corrupting her. And the Ants infected her with it. Suddenly, I take back what I thought about how the Ants maybe still had hearts. Like they remembered the good old days. No. In the end, they still killed May. But they did it in a much more cruel way than using a bullet or a knife.

The disease made not person not them anymore. It rid them of their personality. What I was standing in front of was not May, but a corrupted version. Because the disease had already rooted its stem into her brain and was already controlling her.

And that’s why it was so scary. Especially if something like this happened to your loved ones.

I sobbed, hoping that, for once in my life, that I’d be wrong. This can’t be true.

But it was. I finally understood why May was so scared when one of her townsfolk caught the disease. Even if the person was still alive, it wasn’t them anymore. It made them not human. Just bloodthirsty crazy murderers that were driven on the most powerful hateful thoughts they carried in themselves. Animals.

And for that, May had destroyed my home. Now my brother and I were orphans. Homeless, too. Just like May, back then. But this time, we had nobody to go to. Nobody to help us. For once in my life, I felt alone. More than ever.

The vial became colder in my pocket. And then it came to me. I fished it out slowly, and popped open the cork. It smelled like new medicine, and the aroma quickly faded as it spread through the Archives.

Pyro was finally strong enough to look up and see what was happening. Before I could hand the cure to May, he yelled, “Nix! DON’T YOU DARE!”

I winced as he shouted at me. I gripped the vial tighter, until my hand turned white.

You have to, the whispers told me. Or else you can’t save her. 

I had to make a choice. If I gave the cure to May, I’d save her, but I’d never forgive myself again, knowing that I was too selfish to billions of people around the globe that needed it as much as her. They all most likely had families. Families that cared as much for each other as me and May.

Even though I so badly wanted to give it up, I slipped it back in my pocket. Then I told myself about how horrible a person I am.

No, the whispers protested. You can save her, and now you actually have a chance.

But I couldn’t. I couldn’t give up the cure, no matter how much I wanted to. I couldn’t give in to the whispers as much as I wanted to. I restrained myself. 

I could’t look at Pyro either. He would be so mad at me just for even thinking about it. I hated myself that I showed him I had a selfish side.

I knew what I had to do. She wasn’t herself. I had to kill her.

I began to reach down for the knife on the floor, but May kicked it away and it soared down the steps and slid down the hall. I cringed at how I let her know that was what I was thinking about. 

“How could you?” she said.

I didn’t know. I felt like I was being controlled by the disease too. I didn’t know why I thought of that.

Because you have to, the whispers told me. You have no choice but to kill her.

“No,” I said, shaking my head and blinking back tears. I couldn’t kill her.

Suddenly I wasn’t in the Archives anymore. I was at home.

“Thank you, for the millionth time,” Young May told me, sipping hot chocolate.

“No problem’o,” I said. It was something my dad always said. 

“Do you ever get tired of taking care of me?”

I shook my head and scowled. “No, of course not.” I said truthfully. “I’ll always be your friend.”

“Really?”

“Really. I’ll never betray you as long as I live.”

“Okay,” she said. “Me too.”

Then I was back in the present. May looked disheveled like she just had the same vision too, and felt guilty about it. But she shouldn’t be, because she had kicked the knife away. She didn’t follow the Ants because she couldn’t kill me. Because somewhere in there, was her real heart. She remembered our promises.

Pyro tried to crawl his way forward, but he winced like his legs were in pain. 

I, too, was in pain. I’d never felt this much pain and guilt in me since a long time ago. And I thought I would never get the same feeling ever again in my life. I was wrong.

“Please forgive me, May…” I said, my eyes watering. “I can’t kill you either.”

“I… I figured something out while I was their prisoner…” she said. “About your name.”

“My name?”

“Yes. Your name Phoenix… because you have wild spirit.”

“I’ve been told that. But… I don’t.”

“Maybe you don’t. But it means something.” she said. “And… when I was there the Ants also taught me everything. They showed me the truth.”

My eyes widened. “What?”

“The truth,” she said. “Why the war started. You were right, Nix. The war wasn’t their fault and we should give the cure to them.”

“But… I thought you hated them,” I said. “They killed your parents�"”

“I don’t care anymore!” she screamed, her voice choking. “They’re gone… I can’t change that.”

“So… why do you still want to give the cure?”

“Because they didn’t start the war,” she said. 

“What do you mean?”

“You heard what Jake said. We’ve done horrible things. More cruel things than whatever the Ants did. We attacked first.”

“That’s impossible,” I said. “The first attack was recorded on camera and I watched it with my own eyes.”

“It was done in secret,” she explained. “The military attacked one of their most densely populated cities with a bomb.”

“But…” I said, my voice quivering, afraid of learning the truth. Afraid of learning that we weren’t any better than the Ants. “But why?”

“Because of the disease,” she said. “The cordyceps evolved along with the Ants. You know now that it can infect us, too.” she closed her eyes and shivered. “That’s why they bombed one of their cities. To kill off most of them with the disease, to try and stop its spread.”

“That’s…” I stumbled, suddenly realizing everything now. “That’s horrible.”

Kid, do you even know why the war started? The crazy Ant had said mockingly. The words echoed in my head.

You really don’t know why the war started, do you, my boy? The scientist told me.

I’m sorry for my race’s mistakes, Pyro. Jake said.

They all knew. I couldn’t believe it. Jake, the scientist, even 

May now. And also every single Ant in the world and outside the world, including Pyro. 

I looked at him, clutching his head at the floor. “You knew this?”

He wouldn’t look up, but I suspected it wasn’t because of the pain. He said in a quiet voice, “Y-yes.”

I looked down and studied my reflection in the marble floor. I was the only one who didn’t know. Even the bodyguards knew, because Jake had told me they were some of the General’s most trusted men. They knew why the war started.

“The military thought they could hide it,” May continued, looking at my reflection too. “But we didn’t know at the time that the Ants had a hive mind. They instantly knew it was us, not them. And they also knew that we were the ones who broke the Alliance. So, you see now. The military hid the secret and told all of us that the Ants attacked us first. The Ants were accused of breaking the Alliance, and we’ve been taught that they are cruel, merciless people. But they are just as confused as we are. Because the military is the real enemy. They started the war, and they tricked everyone. All because of the disease.”

“Pyro has to clear his race’s name,” I muttered. “Because his race didn’t do it.”

“Exactly. And Jake? He deserved to die. He hid the secret from us as well, and in the end he was loyal to his father.”

I stared at her in shock. “What? How could you? He had to! And he told us in the end! How could you be glad that he died?”

“Because he still worked for his father! He never worked for us. And that’s why he felt sympathy the Ants. Because he knew the secret. He knew that they didn’t start the war, and that we are accusing them for fake faults. And he knew the reason why 

the military attacked.”

The reason why the military attacked. Once again I felt the vial grow cold in my pocket. 

Now I understood.

Everything. 

Why the vial can heal the Alliance. Because the disease is what started the breaking in the first place. If we show the cure to the Ants, we could all live in peace, and we’d never break the Alliance again. That’s why it was so important. And that’s why everybody was telling me to give it to the military, and not the Ants who needed it the most. Because the military made the mistake. They needed forgiving. And the vial was the key to that.

It was a gift. A gift to stop this madness. If I gave it to the Ants, they would use it on themselves. If I gave it to the military, they would use it as a peace offering for the past mistakes they made. It would stop the disease. And I could save the Alliance.

No more conflict. No more violence. I tried to imagine a world like that.

Yes, the whispers said to me. The vial is the top priority. Give it to the military now.

Somehow, I still knew I was wrong. Maybe because the Archive whispers were telling me that I was right. I still had to destroy the core. Even if I had the peace offering. It wouldn’t stop the war. Only fix our past mistakes and cure the disease. The Ants wouldn’t forgive us still.

The Infinity Core was the real way to stop the war, even if I didn’t want to admit it. It was the only way, too. Because the Ants were the ones provoked. We couldn’t make peace unless their memories were erased. 

“You see,” May whispered. “We were the ones who made the mistakes. The Ants are innocent. We are the ones who broke the Alliance. And now, we are the ones who are going to get ourselves extinct.”

“How… How could you say that? After your parents and hometown, after they destroyed…”

She sniffled. “It doesn’t matter anymore. We can’t hate the Ants. We’re the ones that did this to them. They would never break our Alliance, but of course, us humans would. Because our race has made so much past mistakes over the eras, and they are mostly just one person causing it. World War One, an assassination. World War Two, a dictatorship. And now, which most people call World War Three, just because of one crazy General that thought he could get away attacking one of the Ant’s most populated cities with the disease.”

She shook her head. “Don’t you see everything now?”

It took a moment for me to answer. “I… I do.”

The news I watched when I was six, it wasn’t the first attack. Why would the military lie to all of us? Was it because the General didn’t want the world to see how bad he was? Was it because he thought he was doing something right, by killing Ants?

“I know everything,” May continued. “The Ants showed me. I even know who led our first attack in the war.” 

She glared past me, at Pyro.

“What?” I said.

“Shut up,” Pyro growled. 

Yes, yes, listen to the girl.

But I wasn’t even listening. Of course, the whispers I had to listen to, but I didn’t hear what May said, so I didn’t know what they meant. 

She lost her thought into the idea though. “So, you see how cruel this world has become?”

I hesitated. “Yes.”

“We can run away,” she offered. “From all of it. We have nowhere to go to left.”

My eyes watered. “Because of you. Because of… ugh, what a horrible name.”

She gasped. “You said it was lovely!”

“Please,” I said. “I was seven. I didn’t know what I was thinking.”

“They ordered me to do it,” she pleaded. “Or else they’d kill me. Please, they’d kill me now, too. If they figured out that I threw away that knife.”

I choked more tears. “I… I can’t. Not because I don’t want to, but because they already did kill you.”

“Then hand over the vial,” she said. “Please, save me.”

I hesitated, then felt guilty about it. I shook my head. “No. I can’t. The military has to make copies of this. One isn’t going to do enough. I’ll… I’ll come back for you.”

She shook her head. “Please, you don’t have that much time.”

I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. Because I wouldn’t be curing May. I’d be curing the disease, and that was all. The real May would’ve told me to give it to the military.

But, I couldn't do that either. I had to save her too, somehow. But there was only one vial.

I barely heard Pyro’s voice on the ground. “Don’t… do it.”

I began crying silently. Because I agreed with Pyro, and that meant I wouldn’t save May. 

I remembered the exact words. Nobody will hurt you again. That’s part of the deal.

Now I thought, what deal? I’ve never kept a promise in my entire life. 

Except, I still didn’t go into the Eternity Hall. I had to keep that one.

Yes, don’t give the vial to her. The vials whispered. End her misery before she gets crazy, like the man in her hometown. 

I winced. The whispers were getting smarter. They knew that I always viewed what they said as wrong. So they were saying the opposite. It wanted me to give the vial to her. I think there was something people called it in the last era… reverse psychology.

I also knew what they meant.

End her misery.

I wiped my tears on my sleeve. It was like Pyro was talking to me, but he wasn’t.

The knife.

My only weapon I brought into the Archives, and I had to use it. 

Kill her before she infects you. The whispers were as loud as ever.

May took my hand as if she knew what I was thinking. And suddenly, I couldn’t. I forgot what I was thinking about. Instead, I remembered all the good memories we’d shared, and I just couldn’t kill her. I couldn’t. I could still hear ourselves laughing on the trip to her house. The trip before I abandoned her.

I hadn’t realized I had taken out my knife. I stared at it.

“Please don’t do this,” May said.

“Do it…” Pyro weakly said as he was still crouching on the floor, holding the sides of his head.

I couldn’t. I threw the knife to the floor, and the pointed end 

embedded itself into the marble.

I knew she killed my parents. She destroyed my house with one match. But suddenly, I believed what she said. That it wasn’t her fault. The Ants forced her to, and she was controlled by the disease. All she could think of was how much she resented them. 

And more death wasn’t going to fix it. I just couldn’t kill her. I knew her when we were children, and I just couldn’t bring myself to use that knife. The bloodstained knife. 

Then, she hugged me, and her tears poured in. “Thank you,” she whispered, her voice raspy.

The disease was getting to her. I knew I should’ve backed away so I wouldn’t catch it, but I couldn’t stand to see May like this. And Pyro told me that it infected other people when they died, because it has to sprout out of them first, to release the spores. So I was safe… for now.

“You… you have a good heart, Nixy. You are special, like Jake said. Special with those vibrant dark blue eyes. Did you know you have dark blue eyes?”

I nodded, my eyes filling with tears. My mother told me that a long time ago we didn’t have many eye colours. But we’d evolved a tiny bit�"mutated, I guess you would say, with all the pollution. Some of us can digest one hundred times more stuff than others. Some of us can see a thousand more different colours. But me, I was just born with dark blue eyes.

“I’m coming to get you!” I would yell to May as we ran around in the snow, with my flicking dark blue eyes. I bared my teeth. “I’m an ice monster!”

Then she would scream and I would chase her around the snow, around Charlie the Abominable Snowman. I would tell her I was Charlie’s brother and we would laugh.

“Do you know why I still call you Nixy?” she asked me.

I shook my head.

“Because it reminds me of the good old days,” she said. “When we were still small, and safe, and we didn’t have a care of anything in the world. Because we had loving parents that took care of us.”

They’re gone… the whispers told me.

“I wish it would go back to that.” Her own eyes began to water again. “I wish.”

I nodded. I knew she was still trying to get me to run away from everything. Run away form the impossible mission, run away from the nuclear war, and the bomb. But I had nowhere else to go to. And here, all we had was rainforest. Well, what’s left of it. I didn’t have a wild spirit to live there. I didn’t have a wild spirit at all. 

“It can still go back to that,” May said. “If you hand over the vial.”

I hesitated again. I thought about it ever so carefully. I knew I couldn’t do it. I didn’t have the guts to. Because billions of people were more important than one person.

I winced. How could I think that?

“I can’t,” I sobbed. “I can’t.”

She grabbed my other hand, now holding both of them. “Please.”

“No,” Pyro whispered.

No, the Archives told me.

No, my inner self told me. I couldn’t. I knew what I had to do.

But I didn’t have enough heart to tell her my final answer. Because it would fill me with shame.

“I have to kill you,” I forced myself to say sadly. “Before the 

disease makes you crazy. Or before the Archives do.”

She had sad eyes. A feeling of devastation washed over me.

“I have to kill you too,” she whispered. She reached behind her back pocket and pulled out a smaller knife, and it gleamed in the eerie glow of the Archives.

I was frozen. I couldn’t step back. 

She started shaking. “But… I can’t.”

Then she dropped the second knife to the floor and kicked it near her first one.

I relaxed. But at the same time, I tensed every muscle in my body. 

Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my mind. I yelled in pain and lurched my head, falling to the ground. I was too weak to see anything, but I sensed May collapsed too.

You will GIVE HER THE CURE. The whispers were like a shout now. You WILL FORGET YOUR MISSION. 

No matter what, I couldn’t lose my will to fight. I couldn’t stop myself from stopping the war, especially when I was so close. I wouldn’t let the Archives stop me. 

“No,” I muttered, with all my strength. I felt beads of sweat roll down the sides of my head.

May had a look of absolute pain. We both crouched at the ground, trying to resist the whispers. I didn’t know what they were telling her, but probably not something good.

Probably to kill me.

“Give it back!” May said to me, as I ran around the room holding her doll.

“What is it?” I asked her.

“You can’t always be curious,” she said. “Give it back!”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine.” I handed it to her.

She rubbed it against her face like it needed warmth. “It’s 

just a doll, okay?”

“A special one,” I said. “You won’t even tell me what it is.”

“I don’t have to!”

I stared at it in her hand. “Who’s it from?”

“It’s the only thing left from my parents,” she explained. “His name is Char�"you know what? I don’t need to tell you! And he’s mine!”

“Why not?” I yelled back.

Then the vision ended.

See, the whispers told me as my eyes were clenched tight. You two always hated each other. Ever since that night, and ever since you dragged May out of her house. You never agreed with each other.

Not. True. I told it. 

Kill her. End her misery.

I yelled in pain as the ringing got louder. I couldn’t do what it said. But it was like a ghost was controlling me. I shuffled towards my knife.

May was doing the same thing. She went the other direction for hers. We crawled slowly. I got close to mine. Too close, I thought, but I couldn’t even hear myself. I grabbed the hilt and clenched tightly. 

Then I picked myself up and turned. May was up too. I fought with all my will to drop my weapon, hoping she would do the same, but neither of us did.

Kill each other.

That’s when I finally put all my strength into it. I stopped my body. I was in control of me. I wouldn't let the Archives convince me into doing it. Because that’s what it was doing. The whispers didn’t control you. They only convinced you. So, somehow this was my doing. And I knew I had the power to 

stop.

Even though I froze myself, my fingers were still gripped tightly on the hilt. 

May must’ve been fighting too, because her weapon clattered onto the floor.

With my all my willpower, I dropped my knife as well.

I felt so weak. I dropped to the floor. May did too. I got up first and helped her up. I swore nobody would never hurt her again. That included me.

“I… I don’t have much time left,” May said. It sounded like her own voice this time. Not cordyceps. “H�"Here.”

She took out something from her pocket. It was a small object, wrapped in cloth and tied up with twine. An old fashioned look. She handed it to me.

I took it in my hands gingerly. 

“O�"Open it when you complete the mission,” she instructed. “Please.”

I nodded, my eyes filled with tears. “What’s going to happen to you?”

“You know very well what’s going to happen to me,” she sobbed. “Just let it happen. Kill me before I infect you.”

Pyro was closer now. He had been crawling this whole time. He was almost strong enough to get on his knees, but he fell down trying. 

“Do what she says,” Pyro said weakly.

I shivered. Something May and Pyro agreed on, considering how much they resented each other, it must’ve been really important what they were saying. 

“N�"No.” I stuttered. I didn’t have the heart to kill anybody.

“Urgh!” May clutched the sides of her head. At first I thought it was the whispers. Then I saw tiny roots sprouting out 

from her head.

“No!” I said, my hand going for my vial, but it was too late. She was screaming too loudly, and the roots seeped out from all around her body. She still had the strength to stand, but she was in terrible, terrible pain.

I stumbled backwards. I couldn’t look away. Maybe I was too curious. Maybe I thought I could still giver her the vial.

She screamed, and the roots cracked open her skull. Her eyes turned milky white, like she was possessed. It was too scary. 

The White Death. 

I cried in horror as I finally looked away. It was unbearable to watch. 

“Kill her!” Pyro yelled now, and he was almost to his feet.

I shook my head in terror. I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing. No wonder people got so scared to see their loved ones die from the disease.

I was shaking. I couldn’t. I still couldn’t. 

“You pathetic weakling,” Pyro growled. “Then I’ll do it!”

I heard a high-pitched inhale, and I’ve heard that noise many times to know what it was.

“No!” I yelled, and covered May. But Pyro saw it coming. He aimed for the roof and blasted his fire sting. It zipped through the air so fast, I almost didn’t see it. An explosion shook the Eternal Archives, and stone chunks fell from the ceiling. They were colossal sized.

I had no choice but to dive to one side. They crashed on May, who was still screaming, and buried her under a pile of massive stone blocks.

“No!” I said, but I felt my breath stop short, something sucking the air out of me.

The roof. Pyro destroyed the roof and now we were in outer space. When I realized that, I instantly felt myself freezing on the inside. 

I heard that it took about ninety seconds to die in space. Even without a suit. 

I jumped and grabbed for my knife. I didn’t know why. It felt special to me, and I couldn’t lose it.

Pyro knew what to do. He jumped at me with inhuman strength. It must’ve been the moon’s light gravity. He grabbed me by the collar and we raced for the door at the end of the podium.

My lungs almost bursted. My organs almost froze. My mind was still screaming in pain from all it had suffered from the whispers. 

But we made it. Pyro jumped through an airlock, one that was invisible, bringing me along. We stumbled and rolled on the floor, coughing and warming ourselves up by rubbing our arms. I had never felt so close to death. I had never felt the sensation of drowning without water.

And now, my tears finally poured in. I couldn’t believe what just happened. It must’ve been a dream. This wasn’t real. All this was a trick of the Archives. 

Because I had the chance to save May. But I didn’t take it. That wasn't something I would do.

I needed somebody to blame. And I had somebody.

I choked on tears as I got up and ran, wiping my tears on my sleeve.

“Nix, wait!” I heard Pyro yell behind me, but I didn't care. 

“I HATE YOU!” I yelled at him. “I HATE YOU WITH ALL MY LIFE!”

More tears came when I realized I yelled at my friend like 

that. I shouldn’t blame him. He did the right thing to do, in a twisted way. 

I would never see May again. I clutched the package she gave to me tighter in my palm.

I kept running. I didn’t care anymore. I wanted to get lost. I wanted to be driven insane. So then I wouldn’t feel all this pain and guilt.

I ran through the hallways. Pyro’s yells were getting further away. A part of me warned that I shouldn’t be going this far. But I didn’t listen to that part.

All those deaths are YOUR FAULT, the whispers told me. You are a disgrace to your kind. 

You were the one that deserved to die under all those rocks. You are the one with the faults, not the Ants, not Pyro, not even the General. You made the worst mistakes out of all of them.

I knew the whispers were right, which bothered me. When May needed me the most, I abandoned her again.

And most of all, I couldn’t believe what she had said. About how horrible the truth was. I never knew such cruelty and evil lurked in both races. I thought that the Ants felt sympathy for May and let her live, but in the end, they killed her like they killed everybody else. 

And I thought that we were the race that was suffering under 

attacks that we thought were from heartless Ants. But really, we were just as bad as them. Because we were the ones who broke the Alliance. We were the ones who started this war, and the ones who accused the Ants. 

I felt so sorry for them.

I kept running and running. The whispers were as loud as ever. Even more loud than before I had found May. I didn’t see the steps in front of me, so I tripped and stumbled. I tried to get up, but I only stumbled again. I reached the doorway. I didn’t realize it, but it was more grand and detailed than any other gates in the Archives. And they were open, with a shining blue light coming from behind them.

I pushed my way through, my eyes still on my sleeve. And then, suddenly, the whispers stopped. They went completely silent. It felt like forever since I had no whispers in my head. They were with me so long, I felt like they were a part of me now. 

But they stopped. Completely.

I looked around the room with awe and wonder.

I was standing at the mouth of a huge hallway. It was such a  colossal and bottomless chasm, there was only darkness below. Deep, black inky darkness that went all along the hallway. The room was so big, it made the Archive corridors look like dollhouse hallways. The walls were cobalt blue, as dark as midnight. Black lines were in a tech pattern on them, with blue pellets racing up and down them. 

I was on a bridge. One that stretched as far as my eye could see. It was a sky blue light bridge, that glowed with light as it went down the massive hall. It was wide, a bit wider than the light bridges in the Ant city. And at the end of the hall, which was tiny in my sight but I knew it was big if I was right up to it, was a ball of blue light, which was suspended in the air in a beam of condensed light, which started from nothing down below the abyss of the giant chamber, and went up to the ceiling into more darkness. It was a core. The heart of the Archives, and the Queen.

I knew where I was. And I couldn’t believe it. 

I had found the Infinity Chamber.

19: The Infinity Chamber

I stepped forward. 

There was absolutely no sound. The whispers stopped, like they were being blocked. The silence was so eerie, I heard that ringing noise you always hear in your ears when it’s silent.

The bridge casted a soft glow. I walked forward slowly, as if my steps needed to be silent.

I heard footsteps behind me. Pyro walked into the chamber.

“I’m sorry,” he told me. 

I looked down. I had always never stayed mad at Pyro. He was just trying to help. He was an orphan too, and nothing about this was his fault.

And now I was one too.

And still, I didn’t answer him. 

“You really don’t believe what she said about me, do you?” he asked me.

I hesitated. “I don’t even remember she said. I wasn’t listening.”

He nodded. “Lies anyway.”

He looked around the room, amazed, just like me. “You found it,” he said. “You found it, and not me.”

“I don’t know how I did it,” I said, trying to stay modest. “Come on. We have to finish the mission.”

He nodded, but his face showed guilt. “I’m sorry,” he said again.

I couldn’t answer. She was gone forever now. The Eternal Archives was her grave.

My eyes watered, but I turned so he couldn’t see. So many happy thoughts flooded my mind.

The good old days, she had told me. 

I don’t know why the Archives showed me that vision of me taking her doll. I knew it was just to make us angry at each other, but it didn’t work. That’s how I got the feeling that it was showed for something else. For a different reason. It was showed to us for something. But I didn’t know what.

I clutched the package she had given to me before the disease took over her. I stared at it. 

Open it when you complete the mission.

I tucked it in my pocket, where it would be safe for as long as I live. I would never lose it, whatever it was. 

“You ready?” Pyro asked me.

I nodded. 

Still, he had that look of guilt on him. He was hiding pain, I knew that. But what kind of pain? If I knew him, he never stayed guilty. May’s death wasn’t even his fault�"it was cordyceps. 

We began walking across the giant chamber. It was so big, it  looked like half of the moon to me. The bridge felt like I was walking on glass, but was as solid as rock.

“What happens if you fall down there?” I asked Pyro, looking down at the vast emptiness down below, being my curious self.

His eyes turned sad, and his antennas lowered. “I don’t want to find out.”

“What’s gotten to you?” I asked him. “Was it the visions you saw when you were on the ground?”

He nodded. “That, and something else.”

“What?”

He didn’t answer.

“What were the visions?” I asked him, looking ahead.

“My old life, of course. When my parents trained and taught me. When they gave me the skills I needed.”

“For what?” I asked him, studying his expression. 

Our steps echoed through the boundless chamber. It was hard to believe there was oxygen everywhere here.

“Nothing,” he said. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Just tell me!”

“I can’t,” he said. “It was something that May said.”

“What did she say?”

He went silent. We treaded on through the immense chamber. It took a few minutes to get there, or it could’ve been an hour, or a day. The Archives seemed to disorient time.

Finally, we neared the core. It was so close, I could feel its heat tingle along my skin. But yet it was still five metres away.

“Nix, I can’t hide it anymore.” Pyro said. “What May said was true.”

“What?” I asked.

He snatched my com device from my ear and dropped it to the floor. Then he raised his foot and crushed it.

“Pyro, what are you�"”

He couldn’t look at me. Instead, he stared at the remains of the com on the floor, clenching his fists. “Forgive me,” he said.

Before I could react, he lashed out with his fist and whipped my face, then pushed me with a shove so hard, I fell on the floor sliding. 

It all happened so fast, I didn’t think it was real. I grabbed my right cheek, which was stinging with terrible pain, and redrew my hand.

There was blood.

So much blood. 

I looked up at Pyro in shock. “How could you?”

My good Ant friend, struck me down. What was the meaning of this?

He finally met my eyes. “You haven’t figured it out yet, do you?”

The truth was, I haven’t.  

“I am still loyal to Her Majesty,” Pyro said. 

I was filled with a moment of shocked silence. Pyro? Why Pyro? 

How could it be Pyro?

My eyes watered. Pyro had betrayed me. This whole time, he was working for the Ants. He didn’t want me to destroy the Infinity Core. I realized that May was right all along�"you can never trust an Ant. 

That’s my problem. I hate my life. You should’ve left me in that dumpster, because that’s what I deserve. 

No. That would leave us in the dark, with no connection to the Queen. I don’t like that. 

Pyro did deserve to be left at that dumpster. He was right. He never wanted to destroy the Infinity Core. He was still loyal to the Queen. And, of course he would be. He told me that there were no such things as Ant rebellions, because they all shared one mind. 

But then I remembered all the good things he had said to me. Those couldn’t have been fake, could they?

I would give up my life to save you. I’m sure you would do the same. 

“Nix, that building in the middle of the city…” he said, and he looked straight at me. “I own it.”

The terrible truth came to me.

Ionicscon. The letter I on the building.

And then, minor things. 

Don’t listen to him, Nix. Pyro told me. Next thing he’s gonna say is that your race started the war. That’s not true. You’re a filthy liar.

Do you really believe that, Ionicscon? The crazy Ant had said. 

Then, the money he used for our equipment. It was because he now owned that company. He had tons of money.

“My father used to own the company,” Pyro told me. “And he was the one that trained me to be a spy. He trained me to be a master liar and actor. I was trained from birth to make up stories quick. Because, you see, he was the original general of the Ant army. But he became soft. He and my mother thought we could reform the Alliance, like you. I was smart enough not to trust them. So when they went off to try and do that, they got killed by the humans.”

He shook his head in disgust. “And do you know what your race did to them?”

I shook my head, afraid of learning the answer.

“They infected them with a syringe full of cordyceps,” he said. “I watched them die at the hands of the disease. It was unbearable. I never wanted to see something like that ever in my life. And so, I ran away. I went into the Archives.”

“That city is your home city,” I realized. “You don’t live near the borders at all.”

“Yes!” he exclaimed. “My father is the creator of the Archives, Nix! He was one of the first Ants ever to evolve. And he was the general that issued the order to launch our first attack.”

“The nuke,” I muttered.

“And when he died, of course I was the new general. The heir, if you would call it. Because the general can only be of my family’s blood. I did run away Nix, but I didn’t go to the borders like the story I told you. They caught me and told me I was the new Omega Achilles. Because you see, back in the old days Achilles was the general that led the Myrmidons to battle. And so, at the age of twelve, I led the attacks from there. I slaughtered your people. Most of all, I was the one that personally led the attack that destroyed May’s town.”

I was filled with horror. An Ant with so many crimes stood before me. I couldn’t bear that fact.

“Not only that,” he said. “I wasn’t lying to you when I said I wasn’t anything like a soldier. I also worked as a spy. How do you think we were always one step ahead of you? They sent me to the borders, where you found me. I figured it would be a good experiment to come along on your journey, see what you would do. And so, I warned my race, mostly my city, through the hive mind that we were coming. It’s the only reason we weren’t blasted out of the sky yet. And the only reason why it was so easy to get through the city, and into the facility.”

That’s why the crazy Ants both knew his name. It was the hive mind. He made a message, and he was also the Ant General. Everybody knew him. How could I be so foolish?

“And the phone call?” he said.

“That was no doctor.”

“No. No, it wasn’t. That was me telling the guys at the facility the plan to capture us.”

“You led us to the trap in the facility!” I growled.

“Yes, I did. I planned everything. I let Jake die. I obviously could’ve saved him easily as we planned, but I pretended that I was busy.”

“You let him die?” I said, shocked. “How could you?”

“I also made them capture May. I told them to give her the 

disease so she could suffer the same fate as my parents. But I swear, I never made them force her to kill your parents. That was a solo mission by her, because she was driven mad by the disease. I only told them to leave her in the Archives to die.”

Tears fell freely from my eyes now. I couldn’t believe what I 

was hearing. But somehow, I could. I understood everything now. Everything made sense, the way Pyro was talking about it.

“I told the whole city to go easy on you guys,” he said. “They paid me no attention because they knew I was the general pretending I was part of your group. You see how one whole Ant city can work together? You humans can never do that. Because you don’t have a hive mind.”

“Sounds like a dictatorship to me!” I said. “And not everyone followed.”

“Ah, yes. The crazy Ant on the bridge. Those are the ones who refuse to follow the plan and go rogue. He almost jeopardized the whole mission by telling you about me, but I shut him up quickly.”

He raised his arms. “I am the Omega Achilles, Nix! I am the general of the Ant nation, and the master spy. I personally led the army that destroyed May’s hometown.”

I choked on my tears on the floor. “Why?”

His eyes revealed sadness and sympathy.

“I hated myself for doing that, believe me.” he said. “I never knew she she would suffer such a cruel life after that.”

“Jake said to clear your race’s name, Rippertorias.” I told him. “Why aren’t you�"”

Don’t say that name!” he yelled. “I am not who I used to be, okay? I am not the happy, loving child I once was. My father forged me to become the person I am today. I have experienced many more cruel things than either May or you. I have killed. I have slaughtered. I was raised to mask my pain, ever since the day I gained the power to have memories!”

He had a face of absolute disgust. “I feel pity for you. And as for Jake, he didn’t know I was a general. He wanted me to go with you to help repair the Alliance, but I won’t. Because I can’t destroy the core. No Ant has ever had the will to do that. And even though the Eternal Archive whispers still affect us, it can’t change our will to destroy the core, even if it wants to. There’s a failsafe. Now, hand over the vial.”

It took me a moment to realize what he meant. That’s why he was still with me. He knew I could help him. Help him get the thing he needed. 

“Nix, believe me when I say this.” he said. “I had many chances to kill you. Many. But every time, I stopped myself. I remembered the hospitality you gave me. The courage you gave me when I told you my home was taken. The friend you became. And, I couldn’t do it.” His antennas lowered. “I just couldn’t do it.”

He looked at the shining core behind me, the warm glow it casted across the chamber.

“I needed a way to kill you without thinking it was my fault. And that’s how I agreed to venture with you to the Archives. If I just left you, I wouldn’t feel the guilt in killing you.”

“You’re�"you’re going to leave me? With no way out of the Archives?” My voice quivered.

He looked at my pocket. “Hand over the vial.”

I couldn’t do that. Not in a million years.

He kicked me. Hard. I never felt so much pain.

“I feel pity for you, Nix.” His eyes watered. “I really was your friend. I couldn’t bring myself to kill you, despite how much times I killed somebody. And even now, I know I would live with guilt for the rest of my life. I won’t even take the vial. Please.”

I don’t know what got over me. But as I looked into my former friend’s eyes, I saw that he really meant what he said.

He really didn’t want to do this.

I reached into my pocket, grabbed the vial, and held it, feeling the coldness for one last time. 

Then I opened my palm for him to take.

He grabbed it, but he didn’t keep it. He just took a small scanner out of his pocket and scanned the contents inside. 

He tossed the vial back to me. 

I felt used. Cheated. Betrayed.

I couldn’t believe that Pyro, my good Ant friend, was really a traitor all along. I just couldn’t bring myself to believe that.

All our good memories replayed in my mind. 

I remembered when we ate disgusting food at the borders. I remembered how we worked as a team to catch the crazy Ant in that city. How much we shared each other’s pasts.

I knew Pyro too well, and he knew me too. We were friends. Even when we took different sides. We fought, but in the end, we were part of one team.

But not anymore. 

You pathetic weakling, he had told me.

“I know you won’t have the heart to destroy the core,” he told me. “You don’t have the guts to wipe every single Ant’s memory living on or near this planet. Because you were always a coward!” he yelled. “You never had any courage! I know you won’t have the courage to destroy the core either. You don’t want to be responsible for erasing everything that your race taught us. And that’s how I know I can leave you here. I know you won’t destroy the core.”

I tried to get up and shove him back, but I was too weak. Most of all, my mind was starting to ache again. 

“I never want to see you again,” I said to him coldly.

“Neither do I. And I won’t. You will go insane here, and I will be the one leading my armies to your race’s demise, while we live healthy and unharmed by the disease with the cure. I did leave you with the original vial, Nix. I still pity you.”

I grunted. “But with no way out.”

“That’s your problem,” he said. “Now, goodbye Nix.”

He turned and almost left, before I said, “I thought you believed in me. It was a lie.”

“Yeah,” he said. “So what?” 

“Ripper�"Pyro,” I said, turning on my stomach, still trying to hide that I was in so much pain. Not just where he hit me. Pain on the inside. 

“I thought you were my friend.” 

He looked at the floor. “Was. And still am. I don’t have the heart to kill you, even now. As much as you don’t have the guts to destroy the Infinity Core.”

Then he turned and started walking down the bridge, leaving me alone in the Infinity Chamber.

I figured out everything now. No more secrets. 

Pyro was the one who found the Infinity Chamber. That story was also about him. He had talked to the Queen. Everything he told me, it was all about him. And most of it was a lie.

But some of it wasn’t. Like how his parents died. How he ran away. 

I was like both May and Pyro now. I was an orphan. I had ran away in my life. I watched a person die from the cordyceps. And I was abandoned, too. 

It took me about ten minutes to get over what just happened. By that time Pyro was gone. And by that time I was struggling to get on my feet, and I saw my tears fall on the floor of the light bridge.

That’s when the visions poured in. Not just of one, but many. Multiple people.

I saw my mom and dad, staring at me through a misty cloud. 

We believe in you, son. We know you can restore the peace. 

Then when I had ran away. We couldn’t find you. We… we thought you were gone for good.

“Ergh,” I said in pain, as I tried to bring myself up while my eyes were clenched tightly. 

I scrambled for my knife. I needed it to feel safe. To feel closer to the friend Pyro used to be.

I saw Pyro and I laughing as we ate the disgusting food at the borders. That was a moment in my life I’d never felt so happy. It now seemed like a cruel joke seeing it when I knew he was a traitor.

Then I saw May and I covering up Charlie with snow and laughing while we did. I couldn’t stop the tears. It was just too painful. Then I saw us standing at the door of her house, right before my parents took me in.

Thank you for helping me, Nix. she had said, her hand on my shoulder. You were a great friend. I’ll never forget you.

I couldn’t bear to watch, but I couldn’t escape either. Visions were visions, but memories were memories. 

I crawled slowly. I tried to get back on my feet, but I just couldn’t. I was in too much pain. 

I had to get to that core. That was the mission. My whole life has been leading to this, ever since I was six. 

I still crawled painfully, no matter how much I wanted to 

stop. No matter how much I wanted it all to stop.

Then I saw May and I running away from my house, me disobeying my parents. I remembered how much I cried that night, and May made me feel better. I was only ten, and I ran away, thinking I’d never have a loving family again, because all I could think of was how much they’d hate me if I ever came back, and how they would tell me to go away again.

My blade clattered on the ground every time I moved slowly with my hands. My hands were closed tightly, and I gripped the hilt of my knife ever so hard.

Oh, Pyro. Why did it have to be Pyro?

Then I saw him and I on the elevator, talking. 

You’ll never understand.

And there, I felt guilty. Because he was right. Only now I realized how much pain he really was hiding, the amount that wasn’t bearable to carry on two shoulders. I finally saw how misguided he was by the Queen from his trip to the Archives, and how more of a cruel life he lived from the rest of us. He was the one with the most pain and guilt being carried from inside us, but yet he was the base of our team. I finally realized how strong he was to do that.

He had told me he hated May because of what happened to his parents. And I understood why he would. Because the cordyceps disease was too heartbreaking to watch, and Pyro had seen it twice, to three people he knew. And he was so broken he went into the Archives and got twisted by the Queen. Her Majesty saw his pain as a chance to make him her pawn, and her little servant. Pyro was right. He lived the most cruel life than any of us. 

And now, he was also right about me. I couldn’t destroy the Infinity Core. He left knowing that I couldn’t because he was so 

confident in himself. And he was right. 

I couldn’t even think about doing that to him. I’d just make his life worse, and I’d be the cause of so many Ants’ destruction. It was unfair they came into the world, got accused into going into a nuclear war that would mean our extinction, and then would get their minds erased. And it was so sad to me because all I could think of was if my mind was erased. I would not care about my loved ones anymore. I’d forget everybody I knew. I’d forget my mission.

And then the visions poured in even harsher. The Archives was trying to strike me with guilt instead of desire.

Even though I was safe in the control room, I could still see Jake, manning the generator controls, just as he was about to die, because Pyro let that happen. I could see the worried look on his face, as lights flashed, energy sparkled, and sparks flew around the chamber. 

I knew you were somebody special. You will stop the war. Everybody believes in you. 

I couldn’t. Not now, not ever, I wouldn’t destroy the Infinity Core.

But then, I felt something nagging at the back of my mind. It wasn’t the whispers, though it was a voice. It was my own conscience. 

No, you have to. It’s your dream… it’s your mission. You have to destroy it. 

I listened to it, and it gave me newfound hope and courage. I could do this.

I painfully kept crawling, slowly making it closer to the Core. I felt the heat sizzle along my skin, its brightness ever so close. I felt the bridge tremble at this point, as if warning me not to do this. But I had to. I had to stop the war.

I gritted my teeth as it trembled more. I clutched my knife so tight my hand turned white and my nails dug into my skin, and I saw blood seeping out. But it wasn’t a cut. It was the blood from where Pyro had struck me.

Pyro.

I was filled with more visions. More happy times with our crew in the chopper, then my family, and suddenly I just couldn’t take it anymore. It was so painful, I couldn’t believe that death was worse. And right now, I felt so close to death. 

“Stop!” I said, clutching my eyes, trying to get them to see reality, instead of the Archive illusions. “STOP!”

I kept moving. I had to make it to that core. 

I crawled even more slowly, now that the visions were getting more intense. I saw Jake saving us at the borders. 

How he’d tricked the man so well, and how he told us about his gift. How he’d offered help. How he’d gave us a home.

I’m sorry about your family. Just remember, you have a friend at this border. I’ll help you, whatever you need. 

Then I saw May and I, still children, talking while my parents argued downstairs, and my brother was still crying. I remembered that terrible night too well. It was right before I ran away. 

It’s okay. You’re safe from them. Whenever I’m with you, I’ll make sure of that. I told you, remember?

I told you. 

“Ugh!” I said, trying once again to get up. I fell back down. I couldn’t do it. Not when I was broken so badly on the inside. I kept choking on my own tears.

The hand holding the knife Pyro had given me was so white, it looked like it was from a ghost. I couldn’t let go. The knife was special, and I couldn’t afford to lose it. 

Then, as if the Archives knew what I was thinking about, it showed Pyro and I waiting for Jake or May’s command, before we stole the Armadillos.

“No!” I said. 

I never want your race’s dirty shoes on us again, Pyro had told me. 

He meant it as a threat. He really resented us. He didn’t want to make peace; only his parents did. He was raised the wrong way, especially when the Queen misguided his poor confused mind, and made him the person he was today, not the person he used to be. 

Yeah, I remembered saying to him. You don’t have to worry too much. Everybody’s going to come out alive after this is over. The world will go back to the way it used to be.

The words echoed in my head, and the lines felt like they were slicing up my throat as I heard them. Not everybody came out alive. And the world wasn’t going to go back to the way it used to be, because I didn’t have the heart to destroy the Infinity Core. I didn’t have the strength. I didn’t have the courage. Somehow, I wondered if I was ever the right person for this job.

I’d kill every single Ant on the planet, and outside the planet. At least, I’d make them pretty close to death. Not only that, my race would exterminate them before I could make it out of the Archives and stop them. And then, they’d launch the bomb, and I’d be too late to stop our extinction, to stop the General from his campaign of madness. Last of all, even if we survived, I just added a huge burden to humanity’s shoulders. I had to make everyone reteach the Ants everything we’ve taught them over fifty years. And, even if that was how I imagined it to be, like how it was fifty years ago, when the world was happy, it still 

wouldn’t be the same. 

It was my dream, I knew that. That the world would go back to how it normally was, with every human having an Ant apprentice. But this time, with no more wars, because I destroyed their connection to the Queen.

Except, I couldn’t.

And if I did, we’d all die anyway, because I knew I couldn’t make it out without an Ant guiding me. I was lost, forever, and I’d go insane with memories of my painful past haunting me as the earth below me is destroyed to ruins.

The visions were as vibrant as ever. I saw so many good memories with May, I saw myself breaking down when I realized that Jake wasn’t coming out alive, and I saw Pyro and I laughing like best buds.

But now reality was broken to pieces. Pyro was a traitor all along, secretly working for the Queen. He planned both of my friends’ deaths, and he knew the secret like Jake all along. He even raided May’s hometown, and probably killed her parents himself. 

But, even after all the terrible things he did, how much pain he’d experienced, I still felt sorry for him. We used to be such good friends, and I knew that couldn’t have been fake. It wasn’t his fault his race got accused. It wasn’t his fault his parents died, and he got twisted into evil by the Queen. 

And he lied about everything. Almost everything. He lied about how he thought he wasn’t true Ant, and he didn’t know if he could lead us through the Archives to the Infinity Chamber. He was the creator’s son, and the Queen’s pawn. He knew how to navigate the Eternal Archives perfectly. 

But still, everything that he did, after all May said about how you can never trust an Ant, I still felt sorry. It wasn’t his fault. It wasn’t his fault in any of this. He was just as confused as us, and he needed to be guided in a new direction.

By someone out there. I hoped, that whoever is out there to be Pyro’s new master, he would be a nice person and finally lead Pyro to a good life.

But I couldn’t think of that. Not when I knew I couldn’t destroy the core and reset everything. Everything. Everything we accomplished in the new era. 

But then, all of a sudden, voices from the deep encouraged me. It was from the Archives. Why it was all of a sudden giving me the strength to destroy the core, I didn’t know. 

Destroy the Chamber. Save our Alliance. Jake’s voice echoed through my head.

Destroy that core! Don’t fail me! May’s words ran through my head like a metronome. 

That’s the end to that. We’re destroying it. Pyro had told me.

I was looking down at the abyss. Staring at the bottomless pit of darkness, I swore I could feel it trying to breathe in and swallow me while the bridge shook like crazy where it stood at an end where the core was. I didn’t know how it was being held up with no support, but I couldn’t afford to think about that right now. Because, for once in my life, I wasn’t going to be a weakling. I wasn’t pathetic. Pyro underestimated me. 

The Archives never, ever helps you. Pyro had said. He was wrong. 

Because I looked up.

And saw my mission.

I saw something that needed to be destroyed. I saw something that was the whole cause of this war. And I saw the Ant behind it. 

Because the Queen was the one to blame. Not Pyro, not the 

General, not anyone else. The Queen did all of this. She was the evil one.

I could almost hear my parents’ words clearly, as if they were really right behind me.

We believe in you, son.

And then, I received newfound strength.

It wasn’t as if my bones and muscles were magically rested and healed. It was nothing like that. There was just one word that echoed through my mind.

Hope.

I crawled forward. This time, I ignored the pain, no matter how much my body refused, no matter how much my mind refused. Because I knew something that I finally realized just this moment.

I had to do this. One way or another.

The visions were overwhelming me, but they were encour-aging now. I saw all the happy times in my life. When my parents took us to a nice vacation by the lake, and Jack was only one. When May and I laughed so hard one night, we almost gave away that she was in the house. So when my parents came she had to hide again, and I couldn’t hold back my smile. I once again saw Pyro and I having a good time, too. Back at the borders. And then, I heard my father’s voice telling me how my weakness was not a weakness… it was a gift. The only thing May agreed on with him.

I smiled, and my tears were now tears of joy. My blood on my hand dried up from the core’s heat as I crawled closer. I was so close, I couldn’t open my eyes, or else I felt like they would be blinded indefinitely, or singed to a crisp. 

I knew my life would never go back to the same way it was again. I had to reset. I had to restart.

And I knew the consequences, but I knew I just had to deal with them. 

I knew that by destroying this core, the world would change. Starting right when I shattered it. And I knew that by destroying it, I would erase my once good friend’s memory by doing so. 

I had to live with that. 

And now, at this moment, Pyro underestimated me.

I could hear all the voices of the people I love, or used to love. They all spoke in unison: my parents, my brother, May, Jake, Pyro; even everybody in the world. I heard all their voices, all asking one question.

Do you really want to do this?

And my answer?

I do.

And then, gripping my knife ever so tightly, I raised it.

And thrusted it towards the Infinity Core.

Just like that, I felt the world shatter. In a flash of light, it exploded in a sonic boom, and the bridge started losing its support. But before I could fall, I saw my blade shatter into a million pieces. The only gift my old friend gave me.

“No!” I cried, as finally, the bridge collapsed. It flickered, and then shut down completely, until there was absolutely no light in the vast chamber. And, I felt myself fall. 

That was it. I’ve completed my mission, and I stopped the war. But I still knew I achieved nothing, because the bomb was going to launch and cause humanity’s doom. 

But even though, I felt like I had done what I was worth for.

I fell into the abyss, and surely I knew I was going to die. Even if that ran through my mind, I didn’t care. I wasn’t the one with the cruel life. One thought ran through my mind.

I’m sorry Pyro. 










Hope is What Matters

The Epic Finale




20: The Gift

I found the Eternity Hall. 

It seemed like a dream. Like I was in an endless void. I had fallen in a majestic, vibrant hall so vast and beautiful, it sure felt like a dream. 

Because I couldn’t believe I was actually here.

And, I finally realized how Pyro found the Hall. I finally realized why it was so impossible to find. Because it was in the pit of the Infinity Chamber, and nobody would dare make themselves fall down that deep darkness. That’s how the Archives kept adventurers away from it. It didn’t have a mighty defence, or it wasn’t hidden so well in a gigantic maze. It used your will to trick you into not going to it, which is like everything the Archives did to you. 

I had fallen asleep during my fall, and I didn’t know how I got here safe and sound. I didn’t even know how this place could’ve hidden itself down here, considering how much the place glowed.

I also felt guilty. I was so determined to keep my promise to May and Pyro, and I failed them. I found it.

My suspicion about Archive logic was confirmed. And Pyro had told me the root of the idea. I still remembered him saying it. The Archives never leads you where you want to go. 

And then May’s voice: Don’t even think about going into the Eternity Hall. 

My eyes watered when I thought about them.

I was right. Well, we all were. It wasn’t my curiosity that brought me here. The Archives knew that I didn’t want to go here, so it brought me here. It knew that this was my weakness. It knew that this was my doom. 

I groaned in pain as I steadily got myself to my feet. I wished I had some sort of staff to help me, but I lost everything that I had. My friends, my home, my family; now that I was trapped leagues under the moon’s surface, and now that I was in the presence of the Eternity Hall. The one place in my life I didn’t want to go to. 

The eerie glow everywhere was so bright, it blinded my eyes. There was the same long red carpet, running on a gold path. The luminous trees, the hedges, the still water in rectangles on the ground and strange new plants with light buds sprouting out of them in sky blue vases went down the massive hall. 

I looked up. There was a ceiling now. No more windows of the view from outside. I was trapped, and I didn’t even know how it happened. 

How did I get here?

It was spooky to me. But I didn’t care. I had to keep moving, find my way out of here. The thing was, I survived. I made it. If I can just find my way out of the Archives, then I can still stop the bomb. 

Except I don’t have an Ant with me. 

I can’t make it out sane. I can’t do this. I can’t win.

The Archive whispers had stopped too. Even the visions. I also felt refreshed. Even though I was still dirty and tired, my mind was clean and new. No more faint throbbing from the whispers. And I was determined to never let them trick me as easily as they did ever again.

I felt for my thigh, but it wasn’t there. My knife. 

I felt a surge of sadness. That was my only thing that would 

make me remember him. And now he probably doesn’t remember me. 

Pyro, I hope you’re out there. And please, forgive me. 

I felt tears coming. But I kept moving. I had to make it out of here alive. Though I didn’t know how I would, but I had to.

With destroying the Infinity Core, there was a price to pay. And that price was the tool you used to destroy it. 

My knife.

I advanced through the hallway. I winced in pain as I did so, holding one of my arms. Though nothing was bloody except my hand and cheek, I was still hurt from Pyro’s kick. And I was hurting on the inside. 

But at last, it seemed like forever, I made it across the gigantic hall. It could’ve been forever, because this was the Eternity Hall.

At the end of the hall, there was a huge beam of light that was pure white, with the edges sky blue, which started at the foot of the podium and raced to the ceiling, silently humming an ancient energy vibe. Thinner ones were beside the first, which ended on thin air, which formed a triangle formation. They vibrated a hum so powerful, my bones rattled and my knees turned to jelly. There was ancient power here, and I knew it.

That was it. 

That’s why nobody’s ever found the Queen either, except for Pyro. She lived in the Eternity Hall, under the core that connected her one powerful mind with the whole race. 

She was here. And she knew all the knowledge this hall had. She knew everything. Why the stars were made, why life was created, why everything in the universe was as it is. 

Like Pyro said, science and religion worked together to 

explain how they were created, but the Queen knew why. That was the big question. Why was the universe and everything in it created? What was its purpose?

Why are we here?

Suddenly, I was six years old again. I wanted to know everything. I craved for information. I wanted to ask the Hall so badly about everything, but I knew I couldn’t. Because Jake wouldn’t want me to. My parents wouldn’t agree. Pyro would’ve stopped me. And most of all, May wouldn’t want this. She knew the terrible fate that I was to encounter if I just asked one question. After all, she made me promise.

So I resisted my curiosity. Nobody in my life knew how hard it was for me to do that.

Instead, I said to the Queen, “Hello?”

My voice, just one word, echoed throughout the whole hall and lingered for a moment or two. The silence was creeping me out. The vibe was the same tone, and I saw no Ant Queen appear from nowhere or have a dramatic explosive entrance or something like that. 

Nothing happened for the longest silent moment of my life. 

And then, the hum got louder.

After another minute or two, it finally spoke back, and I jumped back at the sudden response. 

Who dares to enter my Hall?

“I do,” I said, trying to sound confident. 

Ah, Phoenix. I know you. The boy who risked everything to stop the war between our races. The boy who lost everything in return, including the people he knew. The boy who couldn’t resist curiosity no matter how much he wanted to. Fellow Nix, would you like a question?

I clenched my fist. The tone was definitely female, all right, 

and it was an ancient hum from the core of the moon. And it was trying to tempt me to get lost into the vast expense of knowledge at her disposal. 

“With all due respect, I answer no, Your Majesty.” I told her. I wasn’t going to give in. 

Ah, yes. Respectful as always. Did you know that you have your own title you earned in your life as well, my dear?

Her voice wasn’t in my head. It definitely came from the beams of light in front of me. And it was soothing, too. It made me relax, and finally hear a real voice since the whispers. 

“No,” I told the Queen. “If I may have a title, I do not know it. But I erased the memory of an entire race. Is that not enough of a title?”

There was a silence. 

Yes, of course it is. But that is the easiest accomplishment in my days. Let me begin from the start, my dear. From the very beginning, from your very birth, I planned everything in a mere planck instant. 

My voice trembled. “What�"what do you mean, my lady?”

When you all were born, everything was set. Your futures. Your destinies. Your fates. I gave you help every step of the way. Why do you think your lovely friend Jake had his gift?

His gift? And then, suddenly I remembered. His gift to spot Ants underneath disguises.

That was a gift indeed, the Queen continued. But it was from me. I gave it to him from the very start to save you from that situation at the borders.

“You�"” I took a breath, “you gave him the gift all along just so he could save us right at that moment?”

Yes, my dear. I planned everything. I knew Rippertorias would come to me when he had no one left to go to, and nowhere else, a time for despair and misery for him. I knew your friends’ terrible fates. I knew everything that would happen, right at the start. And if you know everything that would happen, wouldn’t you call that control, hmm? So yes, I had control over everything. 

Control over everything… I repeated it in my mind. I was still trying to grasp all that she said. She planned everything? She controlled our futures? This whole thing, this whole war, it was all because of her?

I know what you may think, Nix. But please, do feel calmness in you. Sometimes wars slip out of my reach, especially when your race ticks off mine into battle. That, I cannot stop. Of course, I have the power to, but I did not because they have dishonoured my race, and for that I had to lead them into war. And of course, I had Rippertorias to do that for me.

“You had control over everything?” I said. “Then… then… then how did you let me destroy the core? Did that slip out of your reach too? How did that happen?”

A moment of silence. And then, Of course I knew that would happen. Not only that, but I helped you. What do you think gave you the courage to destroy that core?

“I�"” I paused. The Queen helped me destroy that? But why?

I knew that my race could never outshine yours. The Queen admitted. You humans really have advanced. We are only catching up. I let you destroy that core because I thought of how many were killed, how many places were destroyed. I thought about how the world would end up if this chaos wouldn’t end: destruction and desolation, across the lands, with thick, swirling clouds that covered the atmosphere, from the debris of the monstrosities you unleashed upon one another, which would suffocate us all from the lack of sun. The world can’t heal itself fast enough to sustain life after that, and all would be gone. Extinction. I knew that Ant and Man should put an end to war, before war puts an end to us. 

I’m pretty sure that was a famous quote from someone.

And I followed your thoughts, Nix. That’s how I knew how horrible this war has made people feel. I knew how you felt. How isolated and guilty you feel from the relationships between your friends. How sorry you feel for one in particular? Hmm? May. She was right.

So I decided to start over. From the very beginning. But this time, I will stop leading the Ants. They will no longer have guidance from me, as their connection to me has been lost. I know I will just end up as a goddess from a myth or mythology, but alas, I cannot stop that. 

And so I revised my plan, and made you successful in your journey. It was either that, with the war stopping, or keeping your friend alive. I could not do both. I’m sorry.

I couldn’t answer.

For what you accomplished, there is a title that even me among the celestial beings out there in the universe is hard to earn. Do you want to know what it is?

I lifted my head and looked at the beam of light. “I do.”

You are the Humant, Nix. she told me. You have brought peace from many generations of war. You are among both races. You are the reminder of what it used to be like back then. You are the harbinger of the good old days. This title means you have accomplished the impossible. Not what is thought to be impossible, but what really is impossible. 

“I didn’t accomplish anything,” I told her. “The bomb is still 

going to launch. We’re still going to go extinct.”

Or are we?

I hung my head at her question.

Do you really believe that this is the end? The end for us all? Or do you know somewhere deep down that you still have a home? A home that needs saving. A home that needs you, with an incomplete family. 

“I can’t,” I said, my eyes tearing up. “I’ve lost too much. I’m done playing your games. It’s over. It’s finished.”

The beam of light hummed soothingly like the Queen was sighing. Then maybe you need some more encouragement. Do you know my story?

I told her that I didn’t.

I was the first Ant to land on this planet, she began. I instantly knew, because I was the only one of my kind, that I was special. I felt like a god, which was something that all the people that greeted me taught me. When more of us came, I ordered them to build me a shrine somewhere off that planet that would be my home forever. The Eternal Archives. One of them was Rippertorias’s father. He designed the Archives himself, and built most of it. After that, I imbued myself with celestial power and became the god I imagined to be. I learned the secrets of the universe.

“How?” I asked her. I wanted to know so badly.

That would ruin the mystery, wouldn’t it? she mocked. I taught myself how. That’s all I can say. Whenever you try to learn something nobody’s ever done before, then you teach yourself how to do it, and then people will look up to you to teach them. And that is how knowledge is born.

I am the Dorylus Queen Driver Ant. I am the master of the universe. I know there are other celestial beings that have achieved my level out there somewhere in the cosmos, and I intend to find them. For that, I have to go into slumber. For many millennia.

“You have to go to sleep?”

You are not getting the point. The point is, I never gave up. And the next thing I knew, I evolved into an ultimate being higher than the humans or the Ants. If you know my story, then you know my way. You can’t give up in stopping the end of us all. You have to keep going.

“I… I can’t.”

I can’t give you courage this time, my dear. Because now your own free will is fighting against it. When I helped you destroy the core, that was what you wanted. But now, you are against me. How can I possibly help you gain the courage to do so if you won’t let me?

“I’m done with this,” I said. “I’m going to sit here, and rest for eternity. I’ve got nothing to lose. I’ll just let the races die down below me. They’ve never done anything for me anyway.” 

Oh, but they have. They have in the most unexpected places. Would you have found May is this never started? Or Jake? Or Pyro? Would your society today be still standing if not for the Ants? Would your dream and purpose in life be real if not for the Ants? 

You are the Humant. You must not forget. You have to save not the earth, but your race’s future. You must secure it. You must.

I sighed. 

But first, there is a reward. For you. Because you have earned the title, you get one question. One.

My eyes widened. Was she really going to offer me one?

Ask me anything, she said. Anything. I have the answers to everything.

My eyes watered. I couldn’t do it. But I would do it. If I knew that I wouldn’t hate myself after. 

I could hear the voices of everybody that loved me in my head. Don’t do it. 

“I�"” I didn’t know what to ask. There were so many things I wanted to know. About everything. 

But I knew better. There was too much knowledge in this hall that my brain couldn’t handle. 

I almost asked. Almost. 

And nobody would believe how hard it was to resist.

But I did.

I almost asked the Queen what is the meaning of life. I used to wonder when I was a kid, if we’re just all going to die, then what was the point in living? 

But I understood now. Life isn’t something you have to know why it exists. It just does, so it could be worth living. It exists so you could enjoy it. 

And I realized, that no matter how strong you are, how ready, how sturdy, no mere mortal is just ready to know the secrets of the universe. And nobody will ever be ready. The knowledge is just too great for anybody to find out. 

I may never find out everything like the Queen in my life, but I accepted that. For once in my life, I resisted my curiosity. We may never find out why someone put us here, if anyone did at all, but what we do know is that it doesn’t matter. 

It’s time to stop wondering, because we already know all that we need to know.

Instead, I knew what I needed to ask.

“How…” I began. “How do I find my way out of the Eternal Archives?”

I knew you were going to ask that, The Queen said, sounding 

disappointed. Oh well, you made the right choice. Walk through the beam of light.

I was reluctant to, but I stepped closer. 

“What will happen to you?” I asked. “Will you come home?”

She chuckled. No, my dear. This is my home. I will go into slumber until I find other celestial beings that have achieved my level of greatness. And then, together, we will advance our races. That is if the Ants ever learn how to be like humans again. I am quite fond of your race. I like you humans. I like how my Ants have become like you people. Make it happen again.

“I will,” I told her. 

There’s one more thing.

I stopped. The beam of light hummed brightly, and then I saw a shard of metal fly out of it, floating in front for me to take.

It was a tip of something. It was the tip of a knife. A bloodstained knife.

It was all I could salvage, The Queen told me. Take it, and leave happily. 

I snatched it out of the air and stared at it in my palm. It was still sharp. And it was still mine.

I sniffled back a tear. “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

It is I to thank you, Dear Nix.

“Farewell.”

Fellow Nix, I am a modern Queen. But I guess, if you want to go old fashioned, farewell. I may never see you again.

With that, I stepped through the portal, feeling confident in myself. In my mission.

Because I knew what I had to do. 

.  .  .


As soon as I walked through the portal all the pain returned and all my energy drained out. 

I felt like how I was like before I dropped into the Eternity Hall. But now I was as determined as ever. 

I looked up. There was daylight. Something told me I was in the Archives for more than a few hours. 

I was outside, clinging to the needle on top of a glass frame under me. Inside there I saw the same Ants that tried to stop us from going into the portal. They were all on the floor, sleeping. Not dead, but sleeping. And my guess was they wouldn’t remember anything when they woke up.

I clung onto the needle for dear life as wind swirled around me. I looked down. About a hundred fifty stories were between me and the ground. There was no hatch to climb into the building.

With my pain, I didn’t know if I could hold on much longer. I couldn't think of a way to get down.

Then I saw a horned lizard coming into view from around the skyscrapers. But not just any horned lizard. I was filled with joy. 

The chopper soared like it was trying to maneuver out of something. Then I realized that it must’ve been hard for them to get through here. There were giant anti-air cannons at the walls into the city which they had to dodge, and then more mass driver guns plotted on the tops of buildings for a defence. Not only that, the guards must’ve really took skill to dodge everything with all the weight the chopper held. 

I saw blaster fire come from around a corner, and the double-bladed helicopter slowed down in front of me. I saw George open the sliding door and yell over the wind, “Kid, Jump!”

I moved backwards on the little space I had, and ran. I jumped inside the chopper and through the doors as George closed it, and rolled on the carpet floor. 

That was even more exciting than the elevator shaft. I could’ve died. 

“What took you so long, kid?” George asked me. “You were in there the whole night!”

“What?” I asked him, sitting on the ground still woozy from my experience in there.

Jack was here too, and he was bouncing around excitedly. “Did you get it? Did you destroy the core?”

“Where’s the Ant?” George asked. “I think his name was… whatchamacallit.” 

The questions were barraging in all at once. I had to think first. 

“Please,” I told them, “I don’t want to talk about it. Yes, I destroyed the core. Head for the military headquarters now.”

George and Jack exchanged glances for a moment. Then George briefed me in on what happened.

“You were out the whole night,” George explained. “At dawn we decided to look for you. We had to risk going past the wall defences. It was a bit easier when all the Ants manning it were down, so the AI controlling it.”

“Yes!” Jack said. “All the Ants suddenly went sleeping! Did you do that?”

“It’s been a bumpy road through the city,” George continued. “One shot could’ve gotten us all killed. Luckily, there are no Ants manning them. Like I said, all of them, everywhere in the city, dropped to the floor. I don’t know if they’re dead or sleepin’.”
I felt the chopper lurch back and forth as John did his maneuvering thing. I felt sick in my stomach.

“Don’t worry,” George said to me. “Johnny’s the best pilot around. He can take us to HQ.”

“We better check what’s going on,” I said.

All three of us went into the crowded cockpit. 

“There you are!” John bellowed at me. “You’ve got some explainin’ to do!”

“Later,” I told him. We all watched through the windshield and saw the action. Every turret in the city were out of their pods and were now currently trying to blast us out of the sky. 

“Even with the Ants down, the defences are still on.” George said. “Hold on!”

We all grabbed onto something as the chopper turned a hard left. I heard things break back in the kitchen and living room. 

We were soaring through the city, swivelling around skyscrapers and dodging fire from the rooftops of buildings. I looked down below and saw that George was right. It was a ghost town. Everybody was asleep, and only the defences were firing at us. 

“We’re almost there!” John said as I saw the walls of the city coming into view. 

“Just a little bit more speed, Johnny.” George said as he sat on the second pilot seat. “Watch your six! Two o’clock, swerve right!” 

“I’ve got it,” John said through gritted teeth. The chopper jerked back and forth with the turret blasts scraping our sides or whooshing through thin air. I heard a couple of thumps and glass breaking behind us. I was afraid to find out what I would see when I went back there. 

The walls were just in our reach. The massive pods having colossal double cannons on them started turning in our direction. 

“Get ready!” George told his fellow comrade. 

There was a titanic boom, like a shotgun times a million. It was more of a snap though, and when it went my ears instantly popped and my brother and I both jumped. Immediately, all the windows shattered from the shockwave. Through what once was a windshield, I saw a huge bolt that soared by us, just a millimetre away from blowing us up, and a streak of air was left in its path. 

We covered ourselves from the glass shards that exploded on us. 

“Here’s another one, Johnny!” George yelled. 

The one to our left started charging up its super powerful bolt, that would surely blast us out of the sky into bits if we didn’t time this perfectly just like the last one. 

“I’m an expert, don’t worry.” John said, but he sounded unsure, which made me doubt our survival chance. 

There was a high-pitched tweet, and then it fired a colossal sonic boom as powerful as the last one, which was so strong, the world shook and a shockwave blasted out of the mouth of the cannon. 

John started moving before it even fired. It was so fast, it must’ve broken the sound barrier. I was shocked so badly, my heart was left beating fast. 

We were almost past them. They took a few seconds to recharge, so we had to make it quick.

“Almost… there!” John said as he pulled the throttle down even harder. 

Then I heard the last one that fired charging again. They

 recharged impossibly fast. 

“Faster!” George said, pushing on his own throttle and pressing a bunch of random buttons. 

“We’re not going to make it!” John told him.

“Drop!” Jack said. 

We all stared at him. “What?”

“If you can’t see where the shot is coming from because they’re behind you, then the only way is down.”

The guards looked at each other. Then George said, “The kid’s a genius. John, shut down the engine! It’s the only way to drop down fast enough!”

The propellers outside slowed down, until I felt myself being 

lifted off the ground. 

We fell. 

We went down in a nosedive so fast, I was off the floor. Before we were lifted fully I grabbed my brother, and my back thumped on the ceiling. Glass shards flew everywhere, disobeying gravity, and I shielded Jack from them. I heard another colossal boom, and a bolt streaked past above us.

John was still seat-belted into his pilot chair. As soon as he saw the bolt missed us, he started up the engine again, and the propeller spun. The three of us landed on the ground. 

“Yes!” George said, brushing off glass shards on his shoulders. “The cannons can’t turn themselves to aim down. As long as we stay below the level of their height then we’re safe. After all, they’re anti-air, not anti-ground.”

John grunted in agreement. They didn’t even care about how close we were to death, but I realized that was because this is what they’ve been training for their whole life. They learned to get used to such close risks. 

“We’re coming home, lads.” George said as we soared over 

kilometres of cleared land, and then it soon turned into rainforest. We weren’t that far inland, because I already saw the Atlantic Ocean in the distance, if it was still called that. 

We were going to the last continent not overrun or controlled by Ants. Everywhere else, every continent, even Antarctica, the Ants claimed. People there still fought back, and they still thrived in their biggest cities, but the Ants were everywhere. And with the whole of Antarctica and the space stations above, they’ve really got us surrounded. That’s why I remembered being so scared back then. 

But now the tables have turned. People were safe now. But the Ants were vulnerable. The military would attack them as soon as possible if they found out I destroyed the Infinity Core. 

That’s why I keep asking myself, what have I done?

The sun shone brightly on the horizon, coming up from its post, just like every day that occurred during even the birth of this planet. The sun always made me happy. 

I still had an arm over my brother. He still had a frightened look on his face. It was hard to think of him as a fruit, like the one Pyro threw off the helicopter when he as testing me for the Archives, because he just saved our lives.

“Will everything be okay?” he asked. “Are we going back home to mommy and daddy?”

I didn’t want to answer that. I decided to leave that hanging in the air. Because the thing was, I wasn’t done yet. I still had an oath to keep. 

I had to stop the General from firing a bomb against defenceless, innocent Ants. The Ants have never done anything wrong, only us. They never started this madness. And the bomb wouldn’t help save our Alliance with them.

Not only that, I had to give them the cure. The disease was 

still ravaging through humans and Ants, and only I had the key to stop it. No, not a key.

A gift. 

I had to give this gift to the world, before everything was too late. 

“Can you tell me about your time in the Archives?” My brother said, looking up at me.

I thought for a moment. His pleading eyes were begging me, but I shook my head. I didn’t have the heart tell him what happened to our parents. At least, I didn’t yet. Or maybe I never would. 

George looked back from his seat. “You were in there for the 

whole night, Nix. But we still have time to stop the bomb. We’ll take the day to fly there. We know the location. We’ll get there in time.”
I nodded along. The rest of the trip was a blur. Time flew by as I sat on the couch thinking over what happened. 

I lost two of my friends. The team was broken. The Myrmidons were dead. Except me, and my brother. And now, I stared at the shard still in my hand from the Eternity Hall. I would never let go of it.

I put it in my pocket, along with May’s gift to me. 

Open it when you complete the mission.

I was determined to finally keep a promise. 

We reached our home continent in no time. It felt like no time to me, but really it took most of the day. 

I saw a base come into view. Just a metal box, or a hangar. The secret military headquarters. 

“They’ll try to stop us,” George told me as we came closer.

“Why?” I asked him.

“They’re ordered to shoot anything in the sky that is not 

theirs,” John explained. “Especially this one, because the General knows we’re traveling with you in this, which is Jake’s chopper.”

“They’re not so forgiving to us, since we didn’t protect him.” George said. “Or to you. We’ll help you get in through the base so you can find the General and stop him from firing the bomb.” 

He loaded up his pistol with ammo, and cocked it once. 

“But I thought he recalled you back to HQ,” I told him. “So doesn’t that mean he’s still using you guys?”

“Obviously a trick,” George explained. “As soon as we get there, he’ll fire us. Or kill us, considering how mad driven he is right now. Mad enough to launch the end of the world.

“We have to get past the defences,” John said. “Here they come!”

Turrets sprouted from pods on the grassy hill ground, and started shooting at us. Hidden marines came from behind pine trees and began firing their guns. I heard tons of bullets pound against our hull, the crackling sounds echoing through the forest.

“There’s no way to make it safely down now,” John said. “We have to barge in. Here we go!”

Our ride swooped in close as the marines kept peppering us with their bullets. The turrets were the real problem, though. John had to swerve around them to avoid getting blown up. 

More of them poured out of the hangar. They grabbed devices from their belt, pressed a button on them, then chucked them at us. They stuck onto our hull.

Then they exploded. It damaged our hull a lot, and it rocked the chopper back and forth.

“This thing has no weapons at all?” I asked John.

“Nope!”

“Johnny, the rocket!” George yelled.

As soon as he said that I saw a marine holding a huge rocket launcher kneel down to steady his shot, and then fire. 

The missile left a trail of smoke as it sped towards us. 

“That’s a tracking missile! We can’t possibly dodge it!” John yelled.

George grabbed my brother and I by the shirts and slid open the door. With John a millisecond behind us, we jumped out of the chopper and rolled on the grass.

I was just in time to see the rocket annihilate our Phryno. It crashed into the side, and smoke curls flew in every direction. Fire spread like gas, and there was a shockwave. Shrapnel and debris flew into the wind. 

The helicopter lurched from the impact and started spinning. The blades kept rotating as the Horned Lizard fell to the ground, and they started slicing up the grass and dirt around it.  It sheared off tree leaves and pine needles, cutting through the wood like it was clay. It slid across the hill making a sliding crater, and the crash made fire spread everywhere. Finally, it exploded.

I felt something when it did. That was our home. Our real home. The one Jake gave us, the one that brought all of us together. And now it was gone. 

“Come on,” George said as he pulled us behind the trees to avoid the bullets. “Here’s the plan: We have to get Nix safely into the base. Us two will escort you in there.”

“What about me?” Jack asked all of us. 

“You have to come with us, because that’s the safest option.” John said as more bullets hit the dirt or the trunk of the trees. He tossed Jack a gun. 

“Woohoo!” he said, pretending to shoot it at us. “Finally some action!”

“It’s set on stun, don’t worry,” George told me. “We can’t kill these guys, or the General will really be mad, lads.”

“That’s unfair,” I said. “We can’t kill them but they can kill us.”

“Battle rules. Get used to it.” John said. “Now, I know these guys. They’re going to move in soon. We have to go quick. On my mark. One, two�"”

As if on cue, a marine was brave enough to venture into our cover alone. He appeared from the around the tree with his gun ready, but John was faster. He grabbed it, twisted his arm and made him yell in pain, then whacked it across his head, leaving 

behind a bloody gash.

“That’s how you do it,” he said, dropping the gun. “We have to go now.”

All three of us came out of our cover. Everybody except me was aiming a gun at someone, firing their bolts. 

The guards were expert shots. They fired before they even saw a head sprout into view, and stunned every single marine they could find before they could fire a shot at us. When any got close they quickly disarmed them first and knocked them out cold. They didn’t seem to care that blood and dirt spilled over their fancy tuxedos.

We advanced carefully through the open field. The marines had logs for cover, or those stacked rice sacks that they hide behind. They occasionally popped out and fired some bullets, but the guards quickly fired at them and knocked them out. 

We were now in the centre of the field. The most vulnerable spot. John picked up a sturdy stick from the ground, which I didn’t have any idea why. Then when a marine threw a grenade, I saw why. He whacked it in midair like a baseball bat, and it exploded in the sky. 

I couldn’t believe I was in such violence. Such danger. This is what it must’ve felt during a war with the Ants. 

I wished Pyro was here. His body armour would reflect bullets and shield us, and he would have the strength to lift their cover and throw it away. 

Except… oh yeah. He was a traitor. 

We made it carefully through the field. At the end I saw the rocket marine launch another one. 

Before I could even react, we split ways. John went with Jack and they dove for the ground. George pulled me down and we hit the dirt in the opposite direction.

It exploded far from our reach, but I was getting lots of bruises diving around everywhere. 

“Go!” John yelled from the other side, between the line of fire. “I’ll take care of him! Get Nix inside the base!”

George nodded. “Come on, lad.”

He fired a shot at the rocket marine, and he crumpled to the floor. When we entered the hangar he clicked his gun. He was out. 

“Can’t use any of these,” he said distastefully at all the weapons on the floor. “Whatever. Let’s go. They’re going to launch the bomb soon, we better hurry.”

We raced through the military base corridors, which were wide. The walls were grey concrete, and the lights flickered. Every so often the battle outside shook the building, and dust seeped form the ceiling. Pipes and rusted metal beams ran through the walls and there were crates and boxes everywhere for cover. We hid behind them every so often when more marines came to stop us. The bullets bounced of the crate, blocking us from death.

George didn’t have a gun, so he kicked the crate with all his strength, and it slid towards the end of the hallway. The marines dove out of the way, and that was George’s time to strike. He grabbed stuff he found lying everywhere to throw at them�"a wrench, a gun, anything. 

He had expert aim. It was like their heads attracted the projectiles. As soon as they were knocked out cold we moved forward. 

We rounded up at around a corner and George told me to wait.

He stayed there watching the opening of the hallway, and as soon as two marines rushed out to join the battle outside, he grabbed one and knocked the other one back with his leg. He disarmed the first and whacked it across his feet, tripping him to the ground. Then he knocked him out cold with the butt of the gun, and as the other one charged he simply sidestepped behind him and pressed a pressure point on his shoulder, and he fell to the ground. 

“Whoa,” I said, impressed. 

We moved on. We made it to a hallway where metal doors covered garages holding military jeeps and trucks. One of them even had an ant eater tank. 

Suddenly George pulled me back behind a wall as bullets rained down on the spot I was at. A second ago I would’ve been dead.

“They’re covering the entire passage, lad.” George told me, holding up an assault rifle from the floor. “I’ll clear em’. If all else fails, you have to sneak around them and go without me.”

I nodded. George turned around the corner and fired a couple of rounds, which I was sure didn’t hit anybody, just scared them off. He left me behind and snuck up around them to knock them out one by one. I peeked around the corner and watched him fight like a beast, or, more like a ghost. The marines shot blindly, and he snuck up at random corners and dragged them off one by one. 

And then, when they were all gone, he appeared beside me. 

“All clear,” he huffed. 

We came into a huge helipad. The whole base was built on a cavern. Light came from above, through a huge hole in the cavern ceiling, where horned lizards landed inside the base. There were more crates and boxes that served as good cover for us. There was a control room at the top of the whole hangar, and wires hung everywhere. Horned lizards and armadillos were neatly in rows at one end. 

Marines filed out of an open heavy green metal door, aiming and firing their rifles at us. We went down a couple of steps and ducked behind some crates. The bullets bounced off harmlessly off the metal case.

“Stay here,” George told me. 

Then a grenade appeared behind us. 

George reacted faster than a cobra. He grabbed the crate and put it in front of the grenade, then kicked it over a ledge. They both tumbled down into the deep cavern depths below. We dove into another crate for cover. 

There was more rumbling outside. Stalactites rained down with debris at our feet. Whatever was happening on the surface, I hoped that John and my brother were safe. 

George found a pistol on the floor. He reloaded it and aimed carefully at each marine’s hand. He fired a muffled shot at each of them, the weapons clattering to the ground and the marines shouting and grabbing their hand in surprise, even though none of them were injured. 

“Run,” George told me. “Go! I’ll be right behind you!”

I did as he asked. George quickly outpaced me and went for the marines as I went for the door. I heard them fighting, whacking and hitting each other, five to one, but I didn’t look back. Alarms were blaring through the whole cavern, but I didn’t know how long they have been going on. 

I raced up the steps and made it to the door. George took so long to dispatch the five marines, more were coming through the doorway. I pressed a button on a panel and closed the heavy door with a clang, as the marines behind it started pounding on it and yelling. 

George was beaten up and bloody. He had a swollen eye, a bunch of cuts, and a bunch of bruises all over his arms. He had taken off his black coat and rolled up his white sleeves. He was also tired, heaving heavily as sweat went down his face. I don’t 

know how we managed to get this far if he was so badly hurt.

“I’m fine,” he said, like he knew what I was thinking. “We have to get to the General. That’s all that matters, lad.”

He cocked his pistol and laid himself flat against the wall on the other side of the door from me. 

“Ready,” he told me. 

I opened the door. The marines came running into the scene, but were confused as they didn’t see us. One by one George went behind them and pressed a point on their shoulder, and they fell on a heap on the floor. 

“Predictable,” he said as he held his gun with two hands. “Come on.”

Through the door was a narrower hallway. Metal beam 

supporters held up the roof. There were a few of them, always in the centre of the hallway. The corridor went up a ramp, and there was another heavy green door at the end where more marines made their way in. 

George huffed. I could tell he was really tired and hurt, and he didn’t want to deal with more.

“This is the last passage to the General, lad.” he told me. “We just have to make it through. You have to help me.”

I nodded, although I didn’t see what much I could do. They filed out of the door and took their positions, kneeling and pointing their guns. 

George revealed himself from the metal beam we were hiding behind. He shot a couple of shots from his pistol, aiming at marines’ legs and making them not able to walk, while they screamed in pain. A couple of them returned fire, and George covered his face with one hand, and only a few of them made it to him. One scraped his knee, and he winced in pain. Another hit his side, and he held it as blood gushed out. 

Some marines clicked their guns, out of ammo, and brought out knives instead. Meanwhile George was outnumbered and hurt, but he still fought with all his strength. 

The first one raised his blade and sliced downwards, but George dodged to the side and uppercutted him in the jaw. He grabbed him and heaved him over, flipping him to the ground. Another came to him with a punch, but he grabbed his arm, twisted it, and threw him at more of them.

He picked up another one and turned him around, using him as a shield to prevent any more bullets to fire at him. As they charged dropping their guns, he shoved the guy he was holding to the floor and ran into the fight. 

But he wasn’t going to win. There were half a dozen of 

them, and they all worked together to bring him down. One whacked his leg, and he crumpled to one knee. Another struck him on the face. 

“Go!” he yelled to me as I stood there watching. “Leave me, lad! Stop him!”

A few marines ran in my direction, but George made sure none of them left. He yanked them by the collars and pulled them away from me. 

I ran out of there feeling broken, feeling bad that George was risking his life so I could make it to… what? Save the world? Did he really think I could convince the General? 

Too late now. Everybody was counting one me. I couldn’t let all their hard work go for nothing. 

I ran through the final hallway to the main centre of the base.  Except I was stopped short. As soon as I made it around a corner, a squadron of them were already there, along the sides of the corridor with their guns aimed at me, blocking the path that I needed to take to stop our extinction. 

These soldiers didn’t know what they were defending. If they stopped me from making it through this hallway, they were securing our future’s doom.

“Please,” I said, my eyes filling with tears. “I just need to talk to the General.”

“What makes you think we’re going to let you through, kid?” one of them said to me. “You’re trying to stop us ending this for once and for all, aren’t you? You still care about the Ants?”

“You don’t know what you’re doing,” I said. “Please, let me talk to him. He’s driven mad by the war and by his son’s death. Please�"”

“You’re the one who did that, by the way!” another one spat. 

“No!” I protested. “No! He chose his fate. Please, the bomb is going to end us all. The General doesn’t see that. He wants to kill all the Ants, but you guys must know that the war isn’t their fault.”

“He knows,” one of them whispered to the rest of the group. “How does he know?”

“Shut up!” a woman said, which must’ve been the commander because she had a different outfit than the rest of them, with a bunch of medals pinned to it. “It doesn’t matter. Everybody knows now. It’s not a secret anymore. And the boy may be right. I’ve spoken to the General about this. He sounds confident enough to think that the disease won’t kill us all. I was a fool to trust him.”

“Yes,” I said. “I have to stop him. Please�"”

“Enough!” one of them shouted. “General’s orders are to stop anyone that wants to get through this door.”

The commander nodded her head. “I’m sorry kid, but he’s right. He told us that we have to launch it to ensure our safety against the Ants. It’s true that they didn’t do this. We did. So we have to fix our mistakes. We have to end them all.”

After that, I broke down. I couldn’t believe after all this, I would be stopped. After everything that I accomplished, I wouldn’t save us all in the end. 

I couldn’t take no for an answer. And so, I just couldn’t take it anymore. I told them my sad story. 

I told them how the war started and I was so scared. I told them how a refugee found her way into my house and I took care of her. I told them how an Ant came too, and in the end he turned out to be a traitor.

I told them about how my parents got killed because of the same person they wouldn’t take in as a child, driven mad by the disease. I told them how the General’s son made his choice and sacrificed himself to blow up our weapons supply. I told them about how we ventured into the Archives and that’s when May died and Pyro betrayed me, and then I destroyed the core that ended all Ants. 

And then I told them how I found the Eternity Hall. I told them how much I resisted my curiosity. I told them about how much pain the visions of the Archives gave me. 

And most of all, I told them what caused all that. It was because of them. The military. They did this, all because of one mistake that would end up killing us all. 

My tears flowed freely from there. And still, I pleaded. I asked them one more time to let me through.

“Please, just let me talk to the General,” I said. 

They lowered their weapons. There were looks of pity on their faces, now that they understood everything. How Jake’s deaths wasn’t my fault. How thousands of people lost their homes because of the war. How much pain I endured during it all. All because of them. They caused this. They were responsible for millions, maybe even billions of deaths. And now, they were going to cause our final extinction.

I could tell how sorry they were. How they finally understood my journey here. I even told them about how I met the Queen and how she let me destroy the core, because she also wanted the war to stop. She understood how much bloodshed was caused because of the military. And not everyone knew, but I did. I knew that they were the ones who caused all this misery and pain, and now they were going to end the world. 

They must’ve realized that by now. How evil they must’ve been seen as, by the people who really knew what was happening. How evil they were to trick everyone that the Ants started this madness, and that they were the evil ones, even though they did nothing wrong. They made everyone see them as heroes, even though they were going to destroy every living thing on this planet, including us and the Ants.

“I…” the commander said, looking at all her comrades. “I didn’t know. I didn’t know how much damage we inflicted.”

“If you just let me talk to him,” I told them, tears in my eyes, finally remembering all the misery I’ve been through. From recounting my long and painful journey to end up here, stopped by a couple of marines thinking that right was wrong. “Please. The world depends on me.”

The commander hesitated. She knew I was right. That all this was caused by them. Even her squadron were finally realizing how sad my life was, and they felt pity for me. 

They lowered their heads. Then the commander turned around and said, “Oops, we’re accidentally letting a kid get through our defences. Oh no, what are we going to do?”

I smiled, finally feeling joy. And then I ran past them and went for the doors. 

I heard a countdown inside. 

Three… two… one…

I barged in… just before the General was going to hit a large, red button.

“STOP!” I shouted at the last second.

He froze. His hand hovered over the button, which was so close to touching, alarmingly close. My heart pounded heavily. A bead of sweat trickled down my forehead.

He looked at me, and his face showed absolute rage when he recognized me. 

YOU,” he growled. 

“Please, stop.” I told him. “Take your hand off the button, please.”

“Why should I follow you, boy? You KILLED MY SON.”

“No, I didn’t.” I cried. “You know I didn’t. You know somewhere inside there, that he made his own choice. I didn’t kill him. Please, don’t press that button.”

He raised his hand like he was going to slam down on it, and I became desperate.

“NO!” I said. “Please! Your son didn’t want this! He told me before he died! He wouldn’t want you to do this.”

He raised his eyebrows and hesitated. 

“The Ants did nothing wrong,” I told him. “You know that. You know you’ve been driven by anger. That’s what fuels you in this war. Please don’t be selfish�"you know that if you press that button, you’re going to doom us all.”

I fished for the vial in my pocket. I wanted to show him. Show him that this wasn’t the way to peace. 

I found it. As cold as ever, I brought it out of my pocket.

In my hand, in my outstretched arm, was the cordyceps cure. 

I let the General take a good look at it. 

“I have the cure,” I told him. “The scientist completed it. You have a choice now. You can replicate it, and gift it to the Ants. Or you can press that button and destroy the world.”

It was still in my hand, growing heavier and colder. I pleaded with my eyes. He stared at it, deciding. 

“Your son didn’t want this,” I told him. “He knew that you started the war, like everybody else with classified allowance. That’s why he loved the Ants. He knew it wasn’t their fault in this. You have to follow him. For once in your life, listen to your son.”

Jake had once told me his father was never proud of him. I 

was here to prove that wrong. I wanted the General to finally see all the mistakes he’s done, all the crimes he committed. Most of all, the crime in killing his son by starting this war.

“You can change it all,” I told him. “With this.”

I still held up the vial in my hand.

“Generations of peace, restored. We can save every living thing with this bottle. You can destroy every living thing if you press that button. This, what I’m holding right now in my hand, is the key. It’s the gift. The gift to the world. And I’m sure you know what you need to do with it.”

I looked in his eyes, and I could tell he knew exactly what to do with it. Use it to fix his mistakes for killing the Ants because of the disease. I knew, in his eyes, he finally realized everything. How insane he was driven on anger, that he cooked up the biggest bomb he could ever build. 

And I knew, that he knew that his son wanted him not do this. He wanted him to stop this madness.

“Please,” I said, my eyes watering again. If he pressed that button, then all was lost. I thought of everyone I knew. My family, my friends, who all gave their lives to this one task. Even Pyro, who betrayed me in the end. Even though he didn’t know it, he contributed to helping me do this. 

And if the General pressed that button, then all our hard work would be lost. In fact, all of humanity’s hard work would be lost. That bomb was our extinction. All we have built, all we have done, it would crumble as we faded from the earth. All would fade, because the bomb would leave earth as a desolate planet, with no life at all.

I said my final words to him, the last ones before he would make his final decision. 

“We can reform the Alliance,” I told him.

For one scary moment, the General hesitated. His hand was still raised over the button, as scary as ever. He must’ve knew that if he pressed that he would be responsible for the end of the world. No, he already knew that. I was sure of it.

One second passed. Two. Three. 

A tingle went down my spine. I was as frozen as ever.

Then, finally, he sighed and brought down his hand. Finally, he realized how much damage he had caused for humanity, how he destroyed the bridge between the two races. How evil it was to do all that, and trick everybody that he was on our side. And then, finally, how he was going to destroy them old without even knowing it, because of how mad he was driven from the war… and his son’s death.

“You’re right, Nix.” he finally said. “I’ve been blind this whole war. All I’ve wanted was to destroy the Ants. You showed me that they weren’t the bad ones.”

I nodded. He walked over to me and took the vial from my hand gingerly, because he must’ve knew just as much as me how precious it was.

“I’ll replicate it,” he promised. “I’ll distribute it among the whole world. And I’ll destroy the bomb. And�"and I’ll organize people to start teaching the Ants everything we know again. Because they never did anything wrong. They followed everything we taught them, and we were the ones who broke the truce. I’m sorry.”

He walked over to the controls and shut down the launch system, as well as give an order on a microphones for the people to stop the launch. He also told his marines outside to stop the fighting.

Then he raised the vial in the light to study how fascinating the neon blue liquid was. 

“You have no idea who much teams of scientists I hired to make that bomb, Nix.” he told me. “The disease killed each one of them. I had to hire a new team, and I couldn’t tell them what happened to the old one. And then, finally, they created the bomb. But it was for nothing. Now I feel bad for making them give up their lives to make such a monstrosity. No more violence after this. No more bloodshed.”

He looked at me. “I see the truth now. I see how much wrong I’ve done. I’ll… I’ll do everything I can to make things right. I’ll get this cure replicated and we’ll reteach everything to the Ants. It wasn’t their fault in this. I’ll make things right.”

I nodded. 

“Everyone can help. We can reform the Alliance, and we can stop this war. We’ll do everything again… but this time from the start. From the very start when the Ants came into this world. It’ll… it’ll be like old times.”

“Yes,” I said. “We can all have an Ants apprentice.”

“We’re not going to destroy today, Nix.” he said. “We’re going to create. I need forgiveness. I think I can make things right again, with help of course. Will you help me?”

“Of course,” I said. 

“Good,” he said. “Because I have one more question for you.”

“What is it?”

“Are you ready to change the world?”

From there, I thought of everything again. I thought of my life. I thought of my parents. My brother, Jake, May, Pyro; the Myrmidons. All the good times with them. All the good memories, not the bad ones. And most of all, I thought of something I told Pyro, which seemed so long ago, something I said before we went on our first mission to catch that crazy Ant on the streets. 

One line that forever changed my life. And I said that to him. 

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” 




























Humant

June 17-55


It has been over a week since I saved the world.

The General kept his promise and started rebuilding the world. Society was rebuilt too, and the Ants finally woke up from their slumber, as the Queen went in on her own. With no leader to follow, they saw us, and we began teaching them everything again. 

Again, like fifty years ago, everybody in the world helped. One Ant apprentice for one human, or for some, two. We were now teaching them the ways of becoming the once powerful empire they used to be. 

I myself had my own Ant apprentice, called Cain. His real name was Cainacus Ytrminel, but of course, it was too complicated for us, so we named him ourselves. He’s quite fond of his new name. 

We found out every Ant’s name through their computers. Every single one in the city, I suppose. The ones living outside or in areas with no towns or cities nearby, we had to rename. 

And somewhere out there, was Pyro. I knew it. 

“You think he’s out there somewhere?” Jack asked me. He always seemed to know what I was thinking nowadays. We were sitting on a meadow, looking at our burnt and crackled down house. The authorities already took care of our parents, gave them a proper burial, stuff like that. We also had insurance for our house.

I looked at my brother. Still the same messy light brown hair, like mine and my father’s. The same midnight blue eyes we were born with. I had to break the news to him, but I couldn’t tell him that it was May who did this. The person he looked up to probably more than me. 

“Yeah,” I said, looking out at the beautiful field of grass and flowers. 

My own apprentice Cain was finishing math questions, just like how Jack used to do. He was about the same age as Jack, only taller, because he was an Ant, of course. I told Jack he wasn’t old enough to have an apprentice yet. He had to wait one more year. 

Cain was finishing them off at the bottom of the hill. He came up to us with his notebook.

“Who are you talking about?” he asked. 

“Nobody,” I told him. 

Cain was an army Ant. He could digest almost anything, because back then, army Ants ate anything in their way. Now of course, they were civilized. 

Cain had told me about all the types of Ants out there that I haven’t seen yet. The vampire ones, the weaver ones, even the honey-pot ones with storage abdomens. He had said they looked really weird, and I couldn’t agree more when he explained them to me. 

“I can’t believe it’s so hard to remember what my life was back then,” he kept saying. It broke my heart every time, because I knew why. I did this to them.

He was already fluent at our language, because that was the first thing we taught them. Yes, they even forgot how to talk and walk.

“It’s okay,” I told him. 

“You guys want to hear a legend somebody in town told me?”

“Let’s hear it,” Jack said.

“Somewhere out there, there’s this island.” he began. “That nobody’s ever found before. They say it could be at the south pole, or in the middle of the ocean, or at the bottom of the sea. But the special thing about this island, was the thing it held. Do you guys know?”

Jack’s eyes widened. He and Cain were quickly friends as soon as we met him, and he usually liked his stories. “What?”

“The last ant,” he said. “The only one that didn’t evolve yet. Nobody’s ever found the island, and if they did, they wouldn’t find one measly little thing hiding somewhere in the grass anyway.”

“So…” Jack said. “Go on.”

“That’s it.”

“What?” Jack complained. “That’s barely a legend at all.”

Cain laughed. “Yeah. It’s just nice to wonder if there’re any of them still left out there. Anyways, I’m supposed to go to school.”

There was that too. The Ants went to school during the days, and their masters taught them with any free time they had. 

“But it’s almost nighttime,” I told him.

“I already told you!” Cain said. “They try to teach us as much as they can. So that means even staying up all night.”

“Don’t stay up too late,” I told him. “You’re only eight.”

“Yes, master.” he said. I smiled. He knew I liked the sound of that. “Now, off I go!”

He ran off as my brother and I still stared at out burned down house.

Jack went back to pestering me with his questions. “So, what 

about the disease?”

I stared at him. “What about it?”

“Will it come back?”

I chuckled and ruffled his hair. “No, Jack. The military is duplicating it, making as much as they can. We can get them anywhere. We’re safe from that.”

He sighed. “I’m so happy that the war is over.”

“Me too,” I told him.

The General kept his promise for that too. He replicated the cure and is now giving it to the people who need it. We also have the formula, so if we ever run out, we can always make more. 

We sat in a moment of silence as we stared down below at all the happy people and Ants having a festival down below our town. 

“Do you know what day it is?” I asked him.

He shook his head. “No.”

“The anniversary of the Ants,” I told him. 

“Oh.” He said it like he should’ve known that. 

Then we saw fireworks fly into the air, even though it wasn’t dark yet. The people at the parade were cheering and having the time of their lives, while me and my brother sat at the top of the hill staring at our former home. 

I sighed and replayed my adventures in my head. Even if it tuned out to be a success saving the Ants and the Alliance, and the world, I still felt an aching feeling in my stomach. I missed my parents, and my friends. The ones who died bravely in this fight. 

For one, I resisted the Eternity Hall. I finally overcame my curiosity. But the visions the Archives showed me, I still couldn’t forget those. I wanted to forget my time in there just 

like how Pyro did. 

And I still couldn’t get the picture of May dying from the disease out of my head. It still haunted me, to this day. I still have nightmares about it. 

And then, the team. The Myrmidons. We were dead. We were all split apart. By a choice, by a trap, or by a betrayal. All acts of treachery. Even Jake’s, because Pyro let him die. In the beginning, I thought our bonds with each other would never come loose. But in the end, they did, and I never knew the pain we’ve all been hiding from each other this whole time. We hid them from each other for so long. Even me. We were never close. 

And May, I still longed for her.

Most of all, I longed for Pyro. He was my best friend, and after all he was a traitor. I remembered what he said to me long ago. 

You’ll never understand. 

But I do. I finally, after all this, I do. I understand how hard his life was, how much pain he was hiding, how twisted he was by the Queen. In the end, all he wanted was for his parents to be back, but now his memory was erased, and now he would never know them ever again. 

It should’ve been a favour. Erasing all the pain he was holding clean from his mind. But I still felt guilty, because he didn’t deserve that. Even if he was misguided by the Queen, nobody deserved a life as bad as that. I still miss him, even after all the terrible things he’d done, including destroying May’s town. It wasn’t his fault. None of this was.

And, I figured out my name. What May told me, I realized what she was trying to say. I liked the wild. I had a wild spirit, because I like going out in the open. Even now, I liked how we’re in the fresh air and meadows instead of inside out house. I had the guts to run away from home. I had the courage to go on this suicidal mission. And how I realized it, might someone ask? It was because I remembered how I felt when I was stuck in my house. How trapped I felt, like someone finally caged the Phoenix. I wanted so badly to get out of there, and I did. 

Now, at this moment, I felt more alone than ever. Even with my brother. Because we had nobody to lead us, nobody to go to. We were by ourselves. We had no family, no friends, not even a lot of money. The government took care of us for a while, because they saw how I saved the world, but now we have to live our own lives. We have to take care of ourselves, and live a life with no support. 

We’re on our own, now. 

I felt inside my pocket, and found two things. First, I took out the one shard that the Queen salvaged for me, from the knife that Pyro gave me. After all that happened, I didn’t want it. I didn’t want to remember that sad memory. 

“Hey, you want something?” I told Jack.

He looked up at me. “What?”

I gave him my knife shard. Even though it was dangerous for him, I wanted him to have it. He didn’t have any idea how much guilt that one shard held inside itself.

“It’s a good luck charm,” I told him. “You can make it into a necklace and keep it with you at all times, so you won’t forget you have an amazing brother who cares for you no matter what.”

He laughed. “Okay, I’ll take it.”

And then, I took out the package May and given me. I felt a sense of pride knowing that I finally kept a promise, and  I was going to open it after I completed the mission. I actually resisted my curiosity in what it was and saved it for the end.          I untied the lacing. I unwrapped the cloth. Inside, was a wooden figure. It was so delicate, like she carved it herself. I studied it carefully. It resembled a tree. But not just any tree.

I recognized it instantly. A tag was tied to it, with the words written on it: For Nixy.

It was Charlie. The Abominable Snowman from our childhood days.

My eyes filled with tears. She still had a heart when she was turned. I put one arm around my brother and we sat on the hill, staring at the sunset.

One day, a child was born.

That child was me. 

I am the Humant.

###

© 2022 Nicolas Jao


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2 Views
Added on October 3, 2022
Last Updated on October 5, 2022

Author

Nicolas Jao
Nicolas Jao

Aurora, Ontario, Canada



About
Been avidly writing since I was six. Short stories and miscellaneous at the front, poems in the middle, novels at the end. Everything is unedited and may contain mistakes, and some things may be unfin.. more..

Writing