Day Two: A Look in the Mirror

Day Two: A Look in the Mirror

A Chapter by Nicole Renee

She stared into mirror, quirking her lips as her fingers moved to fix her bangs. They seemed to be spacing apart from each other lately, making Nicole rather irritated when her hair didn’t stay to make bangs that seemed together. Of course, she was extremely picky in certain ways. It wouldn’t have mattered even if there was gel in her bangs; her hair seemed to have a mind of their own.

When Nicole stopped playing with her bangs, she stared into the mirror and pondered on the thought of her hair and general appearance for the day. Two days ago, she had washed her hair, only blow drying her bangs after her shower. But Nicole didn’t feel like dealing with having to dry the rest of her hair, having to tediously straighten her hair and spray stuff that was supposed to help with straightening hair out into her hair. The job felt like it took forever to work on; and in the end, it didn’t do much at all. All it did was make the twenty year old realize that it wasn’t worth the time to fix the ends of her hair that were flipping outwards instead of being stick straight. The memory of that day made her blink a few times, lifting the ends of her hair for a moment before staring at the fading color of purple in her black hair, realizing she needed some sort of trim done to it.

Her eyes then moved all over the mirror, mostly concentrating on her natural appearance since it was the only thing really to look at, besides the light sea green wall and the cabinets in the reflection. As Nicole was blankly staring at herself, the song The Equation from the Fringe soundtrack played softly in the background of her mind. A few minutes ago, one of her favorite shows were on tv, and she always made up several characters she could play if she was ever in show after watching it. The show just had a way of pulling somebody in to make them interested in what was happening.

Letting her eyes wander around once more, Nicole thought about the tumblr challenge she had just found on and was doing, the first sentence of the narrative suddenly hatching inside her mind. A small smile went upon her light pink lips as she thought about the narrative, putting a twist to the whole thing. How it would have been later on in the narrative would have turned out to be something like this:

Nicole felt a faint sense of awareness in the bathroom, looking around to see what where she was feeling this sudden awareness. She didn’t dare move from the spot in the front of the mirror, feeling as though something was about to happen at any moment or at any second. But as she stood there, nothing seemed to out of the ordinary and nothing was out of place. Yet the sense of awareness of not gone, so Nicole to trust herself with her feelings. Suddenly, the lights flickered off and on rapidly, making the adrenaline flow through her veins. Ba-bump.Ba-bump.Ba-bump.Ba-bump. What’s going on? What’s going on here? The questions buzzed all around the place, quickly stopping as soon as the lights went back to normal. Nicole shook her head and sighed with relief, feeling a bit calmer after everything seemed to be normal when she stared at the floor. When she slowly rose her greenish hazels eyes up, her appearance smiled at her, waving at her as though they were long lost friends. A bubble formed up in Nicole’s throat, the bubble turning into a scream at the realization that she wasn’t waving or smiling at her reflection, nervously moving backwards as close as she could to the bathroom walls.

Her reflection frowned at her other self, moving her so close to the mirror, that her lips were almost touching the glass. She took a deep breath, a gust of hot air fogging up some of the mirror. When it was properly big enough, the reflection starting to write something in the foggy mirror, the words forming invisibly on Nicole’s bathroom mirror. After she was done, Nicole’s reflection stopped what she was writing, moving away to the side to let Nicole what she had written. Taking a soothing breath, the twenty year old moved defensively towards the mirror, her nerves on edge just in case anything else out of the ordinary was about to happen.  As she got to her designated spot, shock seemed to paralyze Nicole in her spot, her eyes not being able to not move away from what was written. Then she closed her eyes, picturing the words “I need your help…” flashing through her mind.

 

Nothing seemed to make sense, and nobody was going to believe Nicole about why she had screamed, especially with the flickering of lights and her odd, yet friendly reflection that was supposedly hers. Opening her eyes, Nicole shook her head and stepped out of the bathroom, turning off the lights before sitting down on the couch to watch When in Rome, hoping that the movie would make her laugh and take her mind off of her overactive imagination. 



© 2011 Nicole Renee


Author's Note

Nicole Renee
*This the narrative I thought of…and I really am going to watch When in Rome on Netflix after this is posted. Lol. :D And as always, a song inspired me to help me write this narrative as I was looking at the mirror in my bathroom.

The Equation
Soundtrack : Fringe
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KubafN0DG_A]

P.S. The Equation sounds so amazing. I love it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on February 26, 2011
Last Updated on February 26, 2011


Author

Nicole Renee
Nicole Renee

Anoka, MN



About
I usually write poetry and short stories, yet I always come up with good ideas for novels. I did have a long biography on here,but when Charlie deleted everybody's work off of here on Friday the 13th,.. more..

Writing
10 Days. 10 Days.

A Chapter by Nicole Renee