Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here?

A Story by Nicky Sarti
"

Trying my hand at a short piece of work for a challenge via my writing group ~ EMCWG Not brilliant, first draft type of thing; ideas etc are most welcome etc x

"

“So where do we go from here?” He asked, voice as soft and quiet as the moment felt for him.
“I don’t know... I just don’t know.” She replied, lightly chewing on her bottom lip; just as she always did when she was unsure. The only thing to shatter their silence was the sound of Lucky, his three-legged black dog from being left outside far too long.


“I’m no polygamist Lexie!” His words breaking the silent atmosphere both felt, sighing as he slowly stood and headed for the bedroom door. 
“Yeah, and I didn’t plan on being wife number four either!” She snapped, not meaning her words but aware they came out colder than she expected them to.

“So I was just some guy then Lexie, it was all lies and bullshit?” He snapped back, an anger he’d not felt before; flashing through his veins. 


“I’m just another councillor for you to bed hey?” His final words not meant, he knew she was anything butthat kind of girl; but his anger was now awakened. 
“So that IS what I am to you then Peter?” She said, fighting back the tears in her voice and eyes. The man she knew and loved would never had said something so cruel and hurtful.
“One mistake, not even MY doing; and you think like the rest of them ~ that YOU can have me!” Even though her voice was quiet, her anger was not; it seethed deep within her.


The silence was back with Peter’s deep sigh, leaving Lexie alone in the bedroom; he let Lucky back in and tried to calm his weariness. He was tired, not just though lack of sleep; but of it never being right for him. His life had, to this point; been a mess. He had been hurt far more times than he cared to mention, and had seemingly lost his will to live. Lexie was meant to be the love of his life, so why could they not act as such; why could they not just “work” together... meanwhile back in Peter’s empty bedroom Lexie slowly studied her surroundings, the silence doing all the talking. She thought of running, but in truth that was the last thing she wanted to do.


She loved Peter, she had known it from the second the pair had met; she wanted and indeed needed to fight for their relationship. Out of the corner of her eye, Lexie spotted the latest Ian McEwan book on Peter’s bedside table; it was the same copy the she was reading. Picking up the book, she opened the front page; curious as to where he had reached. The first page was clearly signed by the author, a small note of thanks and appreciation scrawled fairly neatly by the author himself. It was a surprise that both had so much in common, maybe far too much for either to just give up and fall at the first fence.


That first meeting was when he knew, he knew from that very moment that she was the one for him; he would never settle for anyone less…

To my Peter

My heart and soul belong to you, now and always.
I am yours for the rest of our lives together.

Lexie xxx

Peter re-read her card, softly smiling at how her words made his heart beat that little bit more. She was his, and he was hers; completely. So why had they stalled… and at such a tender moment too! Heading back to his bedroom, he had already made his mind up to fight; but seeing Lexie sat on the edge of the bed crying sent the bolt he needed to his brain.


“Aww, my Lexie; please don’t…” The softness in his voice was back, quickly he was by her side; knelt down beside her. 
“I can’t lose you Peter; I have already lost too much…” Lexie tried not to sob, but could not help it; her heart hurt. Without thinking, Peter gently pulled her into his warm embrace. Suddenly she tensed up, her past almost flooding back to her. But as quick as it had appeared, Peter’s soft touch and gentle words made it all go away again.


“When you are ready my love…” Peter softly whispered, laying a small tender peck upon her forehead.

“I love you Miss Lexie, always have done…” He continued, looking into her eyes so she could see the truth behind them.
“I know…” Lexie softly began, smiling gently; shifting back upon his bed and laying down as he followed suit.
“You know that I have always loved you too Peter…” She added, knowing that this was one choice she would never regret; he was always Mister Right for her.


“So…” Peter began, a faint smile upon his lips.
“So?” Lexie asked, noting that hint of a sexy smile he was famed for. Many a girl had fallen for that smile; many a heart had been one by it, now it was seemingly hers and hers alone.

“Where do we go from here?” He knew it was teasing slightly, but he knew she would forgive him that one.

“Ask me in the morning!” Her tongue-in-cheek reply being delivered with much the same sexiness he had done mere moments ago, her eyes almost dancing to the same tune his had been. One raised eyebrow was all it took from him, she knew she had him as she leant over him; turning out the lamp beside them… as her near naked form hovered above Peter, Lexie’s smile said it all as the lights finally went out.

© 2013 Nicky Sarti


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi Nicky

Beautifully drawn. I was there with them right from the beginning. Characterful, descriptively powerful, and so in your face. Even had some jokes (three-legged dog; Ian McEwan!!!). And some lovely ironic - or even, deliciously sarcastic - touches.
I would have paid a little more attention to punctuation and, for me, not written in large blue font (I find that difficult to read - I felt I was being shouted at a bit) and then included variations (underlinings, capitals &c). But, hey, minor quibbles about a totally engrossing read. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nicky Sarti

11 Years Ago

hanks kindly, it does need some tweaking; but shall come back to it when I get the chance!
Nicky Sarti

11 Years Ago

That should have said "THANKS!!!!"



Reviews

Hi Nicky

Beautifully drawn. I was there with them right from the beginning. Characterful, descriptively powerful, and so in your face. Even had some jokes (three-legged dog; Ian McEwan!!!). And some lovely ironic - or even, deliciously sarcastic - touches.
I would have paid a little more attention to punctuation and, for me, not written in large blue font (I find that difficult to read - I felt I was being shouted at a bit) and then included variations (underlinings, capitals &c). But, hey, minor quibbles about a totally engrossing read. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nicky Sarti

11 Years Ago

hanks kindly, it does need some tweaking; but shall come back to it when I get the chance!
Nicky Sarti

11 Years Ago

That should have said "THANKS!!!!"

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Added on February 7, 2013
Last Updated on February 7, 2013

Author

Nicky Sarti
Nicky Sarti

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom



About
ZOMGosh... How long has it been since I posted on here?!? What am I like? I am so sorry guys! So... I am still here (just about) I am still trying to keep my hand in when it comes to writing etc. .. more..

Writing