Securing the CIA...

Securing the CIA...

A Story by Nicky Sarti
"

Another short(ish) story. Security guard enters a competition that is actually part of an application for joining the CIA.

"

"Gosh, I need a change of luck Mitch!" James sighed, sitting down heavily in the chair opposite his best friend. The pair had been best friends since starting at Securo over twenty years ago now, the two had failed to make the grade as cops but were employed as Security Guards by Securo; a security firm that are employed by half of Manhattan in New York City. Although not every day was the same, it was; which was the problem for both men. They were stuck in their current positions, night shifts at somewhere few wanted to be; but the money was better here than in any other place. Very few security guards would have worked here during the night, but both James and Mitch had little choice but to take the work offered to them.

 

"I know what you mean Jay, I just need something; something to give my life a jolt ya know?" Mitch replied, rubbing his weary face in the vain hope of waking himself up. The pair sighed in unison, for a moment the silence heightened their surroundings. The tiny box room was home to the communications room, if you could call it that; most of the CCTV cameras didn't work... nor did many of the computer screens in the small room. There was hardly any space for the two security guards let alone all the things they had to have in there, computers; monitors and several other things that they were told they needed to have in there.

 

Both men were clearly sick and tired, neither were very well paid and both felt like they were taken for granted; neither very happy but felt unable to change their circumstances. And then that letter dropped on their mat two days later, the letter that would change their lives; if of course they saw the potential and not view it as just another piece of junk mail. As it turns out that is just what James thought it was, junk mail to be thrown away. Mitch however chose to treat it as a new and exciting adventure, sending a message to the cell number as requested to.

 

"Man I cannot believe you did it..." James said, the shock clearly evident upon his face.

"Why not? Life is about taking chances Jay!" Mitch returned, as the pair took their normal route  from the locker room to their work station.

"It could be some freak or weirdo that meets you!" James laughed, partly in jest but also out of respect for the best friend he cared for more than he could ever admit.

"Yeah and it could end up being the best thing I ever did, I could finally get myself outta this hell hole of a dead end job!" Mitch shot back, noting how quickly James shut up. He knew that much of James' fears were because he cared, but there was part of him that knew it was jealousy; James clearly regretted passing up this chance.

"Yeah right, whatever; we'll see!" James spat back, turning his back slightly; knowing deep down where the words had come from but not willing to admit that yet.

 

After another long and boring shift Mitch got home as his wife and kids were heading out, they just had time for a hug and quick hey before he was; as usual left alone in the house. This was another thing that Mitch hated about his work, the unsociable hours; it never gave him any free time. During the years he had been working at night, Mitch had missed so much. His kids being born and growing up, his marriage had clearly suffered; and the worse thing is that he missed his own Mother's illness and funeral. For that one he had still not forgiven himself. Mitch knew that James could of course be right, but he had to take this chance; he had to make a change and make it now! 

 

Mitch had hardly got to sleep when there was a loud knock at the front door, sighing deeply he headed downstairs and answered the door.

"Mister Young?" The guy in the familiar brown uniform of the UPS courier services asked, looking the plain man over stood in front of him.

"Yeah, who wants to know?" Mitch replied, his years of service in security teaching him to always be on guard and weary of all.

"Sign here please." The guy answered as he handed over the brown package, followed by the electronic handheld device. Taking both items, Mitch glanced at them both with suspicion that had served him well over the years. Signing for the brown package, Mitch handed the handheld machine back; glancing down once more the guy from UPS was gone just as quickly as he had appeared.

 

Heading back inside Mitch was torn between opening the strange package and heading back to bed, he was tired and needed sleep before his next shift later on that evening; but of course he was curious ~ how could he not have been? He hardly ever got post, only endless bills and junk. As curiosity got the better of Mitch, he opened the package and sat upon the couch reading the contents. As least that was his plan, but half way through the covering letter Mitch found all the words just rolled into one huge mass of gobbledegook; before he had the chance to even attempt finding out what was wrong he was passing out.

 

What felt a lifetime later Mitch woke up in unfamiliar surroundings, rubbing his neck as he tried to adjust to his surroundings; struggling to understand what had happened.  All he could really tell was he was in a darkened room, the floor was cold and hard; he was on some type of mattress and that was about it.

"Sorry Mister Young for the abrupt fashion of your journey, but we had to get you here quickly..." A strange voice came from out of nowhere, causing Mitch to become acutely aware he was not alone. Within seconds Mitch was to his feet and backing into the nearby wall, his stance firm and clearly protective. Normally he would have been shouting the odds here, but instead he stayed silent; sensing there was more to this situation than he thought.

 

"Don't be alarmed Mitch..." The voice seemed to be coming from outside the room, yet it sounded closer than outside.

"We are here to help you." He continued, adding little more causing Mitch to question just what he had gotten himself into.

"What do you want in return?" Mitch finally asked, curiosity now overtaking any fear that he may have felt.

"Your help." Was the reply Mitch received, not that it told him much more though. With a million and one questions inside, Mitch took a few moments to think; noting that the voice allowed the time to think of his next actions.

"I'm listening..." Mitch finally answered, figuring that the less he said would be the best option right now.

 

As the lights became brighter Mitch could tell that he was in some sort of interview room, the type you saw in movies; where people like the CIA and FBI took people of interest. It was pretty bare, the mattress he had been sat upon; a table and two chairs. Nothing else but the door and what Mitch was sure was a two-way mirror, there was of course a hidden camera with microphone; but Mitch knew he would never find them even if he searched for them. Moments later the door opened and in walked two men dressed in identical black suits and white shirts, without saying a word one man stood by the door; the older man sat in one of the chairs. As the two continued their silence, Mitch realised he would have to have some blind faith here. Without saying another word he joined the older man in the chair opposite the desk, glancing to the man by the door that stood silently; hidden behind his dark sunglasses.

 

"CIA or FBI?" Mitch finally asked, looking to the man sat before him. He was plain looking, the only thing about him was his receding hairline; nothing else stood out about him... or for that matter, his mate stood by the door. Both men wore the same shirts, trousers and jackets; shoes and probably underwear too... hell, they even had the same type of shades!

"Both..." Came the monotone reply from the older man, who was clearly impressed with Mitch's power of deductions; he had clearly thought about this before speaking.

"... and others." The younger man stood by the door added in much the same monotone voice as he older colleague had, peaking Mitch's interest once more; not that it had waned much since he had woken up from his forced sleep.

"I am sure you are wondering why you are here..." The older man commented, searching Mitch's face for further hidden movements.

 

"You answered the mail we sent out..." He continued, noting the blank and stayed expression upon Mitch's face. With years of experience behind him, Mitch was able to show no signs of emotion on his face; something that had served him very well over the years.

"Why did you not make it as a cop?" The younger man asked, it was clearly something that was  on the mind of at least one of the men in the room.

"It was the physical I failed..." Mitch began to answer, his face still almost set in stone.

"I was told I was not fit enough." He went on, not ready to give anymore away than he needed to; more than sure that they probably knew it all anyway. And again the silence returned, both suited men looking from each other to Mitch; who never once looked away from the fixed position of his gaze.

 

"It must have felt very unfair, after all you could not have known that in a few years the problem would have gone away..." The younger man answered as if he could hear Mitch's unspoken thoughts, as Mitch's mouth twitched with a faint hint of a smile; it was the first sign of emotion that he had shown.

"We would like to make you an offer, put that matter right as it were..." The older man said, sensing the unasked question in Mitch's mind. From seemingly out of nowhere a thin beige file appeared on the table in front of Mitch, his eyes flickering to it and back to their point just to the right of the older man's shoulder.

"If you want a new challenge, all you need to do is sign up for one!" The older man offered, pushing the file closer to Mitch. Placing his hand on the file, the older man placed his pen on the table; hoping he took the hint.

 

"How long for?" Mitch asked, more than aware that this would turn out to be a 'for life' kinda decision; he had a wife and family to think about too.

"Your wife and children will be well provided for, up to and after your service with our agency..." The younger man answered as if he too could read Mitch's mind.

"And James?" Mitch's question threw the two men slightly, both aware that his friend had tossed away his own chance of working with the agency before it had been made.

"What about him?" The younger man questioned, sure he never needed to add anything more.

"He is my best friend, he deserves his chance too..." Mitch replied, his eyes moved to fix upon the older man sat opposite him; his actions and the reply he received would in turn make his own mind up as to how he answered.

 

Realising this, both men took a few moments to answer. It was clear that neither wanted to be the first to answer, both wanted the other to do this part.

"He will be taken care of too..." The older man finally said, taking the far too long enforced moment of silence; and breaking it.

"Where do I sign up..." Mitch replied quickly, smiling for the first time freely; picking the pen up and opening the file in front of him.

© 2013 Nicky Sarti


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on August 30, 2013
Last Updated on August 30, 2013

Author

Nicky Sarti
Nicky Sarti

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom



About
ZOMGosh... How long has it been since I posted on here?!? What am I like? I am so sorry guys! So... I am still here (just about) I am still trying to keep my hand in when it comes to writing etc. .. more..

Writing