Street Rat

Street Rat

A Chapter by Nykira

Chapter 1- Street Rat

 

The loud music, the bright lights, the chatter of the people all around, are mixed in with the screams that rang through the air, the smell of blood that always hung around never seeming to leave, it left a mark, one that couldn’t be removed.


La Nuit Noire the hottest nightclub on this side of the state. The one place that everyone wants to go to, and when you do, you will always come out wanting to go back in for more or so I’ve heard. I can’t understand how people can keep coming back to that place. But then again no one understands me. I don’t even understand myself. I have nothing to live for. No one even notices I exist. I’m just some little street rat that hides in the alley at the back of the nightclub. It’s stupid I know, but when life gives you lemons you make lemon aid.


I’ve been back here for most of my life, eight years to be exact and still counting, anything before the day I came here is blank. I don’t remember my family or even the comforts of a home. My name is lost to me; I don’t even think I have one. The one thing I do remember is being told to run, I was scared but I ran, I ran till I couldn’t run any more. I was eight I know that, it’s all a blur, a faded memory. That will be lost over time. I feel like I’m nothing. A figment of someone’s imagination but then who would think up someone likes me. A nobody. A street rat who has nothing to her name and all that’s left is the will to live on.


I shivered as the cold breeze brushed up against my skin. The breeze gets colder as it moves up to winter. It makes it harder to sleep. Not that it’s not hard enough to sleep in a place like this.


Shrugging off the coldness of the air, I reached over grabbing the ragged blanket next to me. Bringing it slowly up and around me. It’s not very warm, but it does the job and that’s all I care about.


I leaned against the wall, looking up above me. One thing I love about this place is that it has the best view of the stars. There like beacons of light in the darkness. And no matter how dark and gloomy it gets down here. They will still shine bright to guild the way. Giving us hope in the darkest of times. Well that’s what I recon anyway.


Smiling to my self I closed my eyes, listening to all the noise of the night. My mind wandering, my body relaxed as the load music started to drift away.

 

* * * * *

 

“Artie…” I opened my eyes, as I heard the sound of a woman’s voice. Shifting to a seated position, I glance around the alley. No women in sight. I shifted back up against the wall, relaxing and closing my eyes again.


“Artie you said you smelled food down here…. Artie!!” I jumped as her whiny voice and slim body came into view. Her whiskey blond hair swaying behind her, as she did a flick turn to face the entrance of the alley, I felt my heart start to race as I scurried quickly up against the dumpster.


“Artie…” “Shut up Tiffany, you’re scaring the food.” His voice thundered down the alley scaring me stiff. Why couldn’t I disappear?


“Oh me scare the food away? I don’t think so if there is any food down here, you’re the one that would of scared it away.” The female voice snapped. “Just shut up Tiffany.”  With that she giggled.


I slowed my breathing down as the footsteps patted down the ally. “See Artie nothing here!” I jumped, whacking the dumpster. “S**t” I murmured under my breath. Did they hear?


I flicked my head to the side; they stood there like statues. Looking down at me curled up against the dumpster. The woman’s smile grew wide as she stared at me. In a swift movement she giggled and hugged the brood man next to her. His face-stayed plain showing no emotion as she hugged him tighter and said you were right over and over again.


He glanced over at her like she was nothing to this man just a bug on his windshield. With his right hand he pulled her off of him, looking at her he murmured “shut up Tiffany” then pushing her to the side and knelling down in front of me.


“Don’t be scared,” he said softly wiping a tear that had run down my face. “I’m Artie, do you have a name?” he looked at me pleadingly.

“Who cares about her f*****g name she’s just fo….” “Shut the f**k up Tiffany” Artie snapped at her.


He looked at me again “do you?” he asked softly, I starred at him, and then flicked my eyes over to Tiffany who was standing arms crossed up against the wall. She looked upset maybe even angry that Artie had told her off.

“I-I-I do-on’t h-have a na-name” I stuttered looking back at Artie who was now smiling down at me.


“She doesn’t even have a name. The stupid f*****g girl. Now can we kill her I’m bored” Tiffany whined getting up of the wall and putting a slender hand on Artie’s shoulder. He growled at her. She jumped pulling her hand back, as her eyes widened in surprise. “What the f**k did I do?” she growled

“Everything. Now f**k off” he yelled.


“I knew it” she grumbled placing her hands on her hips. “I knew it, you-you’re going to change her, aren’t you, f*****g prick, you planed this from the start didn’t you?”


“Go away Tiffany, you’re not needed any more.” He told her calmly.

“F**k you Artie” she yelled.


My body was slammed up against the wall, but my mind was still not there yet.  The coldness of the hands that were wrapped around me, felt safe even tho I wasn’t, the noise of crashing metal. I wanted to block my ears. But I couldn’t move under the weight. The cold hands pulling me closer. The rush of cold air as it hit my skin, as the person holding me moved, turning so I could see Tiffany standing there, her eyes wide, her hair wildly hanging around her. Her silvery dress was making her skin look pale and lifeless. I grab hold of Artie’s shirt as he tightens his grip around me.


“F**k you, f**k you both” she growled kicking the heap of metal in the corner. Then she was gone.


I sighed. Letting go of his shirt as he placed me down up, against the wall. His eyes soften around the edges, as he tucked one of my mattered curls behind my ear.


“Are you okay?” he said softly. I couldn’t answer. My voice lost somewhere in the distance. I just shook my head. “I’m sorry, I should never have brought her.” He muttered sitting down. “If I could take this life away from you, give you a new one, would you let me?” I looked at him, his brown hair that hung messily around his face, and the deep dark eyes that softened round the edges. His brood figure, slumped down against the wall next to me. It didn’t look or feel right.


“I-I don’t know, I’ve never know anything dif-ferent then this.” I told him softly. “Would you like to know?” he asked. I opened my mouth to answer but nothing came out. What was I meant to say to him? There was nothing to say so I just nodded. 


His face turned sorrowful as he looked at me. “Do you trust me enough to close your eyes, while I’m here?” I just stared at him. Well I guess he did protect me but then he did cause the trouble in the first place. What have I to lose? I nodded closing my eyes slowly.


“I’m sorry” he said. I screamed.



© 2010 Nykira


Author's Note

Nykira
I'm sorry for how long the chapter is but i hope ya'll like it. Thank you for reading. also don't hold back on the comments if there's anything wrong with it tell me please.

Also there are a couple of french words so here's there meanings:
Evelien- life
La Nuit Noire- the dark night


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'd like to know what happened to her. Great start, but the arguement with tiffany and artie should a little more detailed, just a tad.


Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
1 Review
Added on May 8, 2010
Last Updated on May 8, 2010
Tags: Street Rat, evelein. nykira, Artie, Tiffany, La Nuit Noire


Author

Nykira
Nykira

Australia



About
I'm Nykira, but ya'll can call me Nyki for short. I love my reading, ask me to read something i will and tell you my thoughts about it. I like to write stories for fun, but i always though they whe.. more..

Writing
Evelien Evelien

A Book by Nykira