an Unlit candle

an Unlit candle

A Poem by Ochu

There is a Buddhist saying that goes. “Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” To share happiness with another person is a great thing, but what of those of us who’s candles are not lit. Those suffering depression, overwhelming sadness, hate our-selves.  What happiness can we spread with an unlit candle?  I know many people, with depression or grief, that feel they can’t find any happiness in life.  Yet go out of there way on a nearly constant basis to bring happiness to others.  Through favors, or kindness, or simply offering help when it’s needed, even though they themselves feel hurt and deep sorrow. To these friends, these wonderful people I offer this. What magic it is, to light a candle without your own flame. To give something to others you can’t find for yourself. What compassion, what selflessness. Imagine a starving man with bread he cannot eat, the frustration, the anger that would bring. This man in pain and agony freely gives his bread to others, to feed their hunger, not watching them starve along with him. To watch others eat, to give them food while starving, while your insides burn and your mind screams. Watching with a smile at the joy you’ve brought another person. Pain and anguish making him kinder, making him more compassionate. Truly this is the best of humanity.

© 2014 Ochu


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on March 22, 2014
Last Updated on March 22, 2014
Tags: buddist, buddism, candle, poem, poerty, kindness, happiness, compassion, humanity