Finding Purpose part1

Finding Purpose part1

A Story by Olafash
"

When John goes looking for purpose, he steps on some toes and faces some challenges unique to the third world country. Would he find purpose or would his challenges break him?

"
John was a twenty years old boy ( he prefered man though) who was at a point of great confusion. He was in the university for the first semester of his first year in a department he did not know much about and did not even plan to get into.
John, before getting into department of computer technology wanted to be a political scientist. He loved everything that had to do with the people and their governments. He was a lover of people, he loved sharing in the feelings and emotions of anyone that came his way. But the department of computer technology was a mistake, a big mistake for john. He had been encouraged by his fathers friend to sit for a GCE fielding all science subjects just so he could get into the department of technology, which he said was "where the money was". John had obeyed the words of an elderly and wise man as is expected of a good child In an African community. Moreover John had next to no option, his choice course, political science seemed more and more difficult to get evimmediatele had tried for four years and john was tired. On one occasion he had missed admission to corruption, on another he had missed the admissions cutoff mark by just one mark and the school didn't consider him brilliant enough to give him a chance. It was all these abnormalities amongst others that had fueled johns hunger for a political science degree to understand all there is about the government and ultimately to become Nigeria's president.
John was faced with a reality of comuputer technology, one semester in and he didn't know what he was doing here and he didn't know how to get out. In Nigeria, getting out of a university was as hard, if not harder than getting in. There was ones parents to explain to ( john's middle-class parents were going to have nothing of such, after about four years of seeking admission. They wouldn't let him throw it away. ), and even john knew how hard it was to get back in. John didn't know what to do, he was in the most unhappy moment of his life, he knew it was going to last for five and half more years and he needed an escape badly.
John started praying and thinking deeply. He needed to make a change but C.Tech as his department was commonly called was not the way for him. So one morning, john got up, went to the market with his electronics to sell off. He needed the money to run far away, to find his purpose ( he survived on connecting with people and not computers, he survived on natural adventures and not man made ) he needed an escape and he needed money. At the end of the day, john had half a million naira from the sale of almost everything he had but for a few clothes and shoes for his adventure.
John left campus and set off on a journey, a journey to find his purpose.
He decided to travel out of the city, visit other cultures, take a year to clear his head and then when the time was right, he would come and try being a political scientist again.
He left for Johannesburg a day after his twenty first birthday and has planned, he had told no one. John arrived at the boys hostel in the university of Johannesburg early enough to meet his friends before they set out for the library. John's friends, ian and Fred, were from the same city as himself, they had gone to the same primary and secondary schools back home and were lucky to have their parents send them abroad to study after considering how hard it was to get into a Nigerian university and how corruption above all other evils was what made it hard.
Ian and Fred had to cancel their visit to the library that day. They wanted to spend sometime with their friend, talk to him and try understanding his decision which he had shared over the phone. John while answering their numerous questions summaried his purpose in South Africa has : he wanted to clear his head in a place far from home and see if he could find something he would love other than political science which seemed too big a dream for him. He spent a better part of his first week checking out classes, departments and faculties in the university, he made time to check their computer technology department and it still didn't make sense to him. After visiting every department, only the social sciences appealed to him. John decided that during his stay in south Africa he would go to the political science department and make himself happy ( which was why he left home anyway ). John called home and explained his decision and the steps he had taken. His father was displeased and he showed it perfectly. He phoned the parents of ian and Fred and demanded that they have their kids throw john out of their hostel or he will call school authority and have it done the hard way. John's mother was not happy either but respected her sons decision. she believed that in life, the point was to be happy above all other things, and that was all she wanted for john.
John had to leave ian and Fred to save them the trouble his father was planning to put them through.

Part 2 of this story in a bit ( or upon request )

© 2016 Olafash


Author's Note

Olafash
Kindly ignore grammar and punctuation problems. I hope you enjoy the story, kindly let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on October 11, 2016
Last Updated on October 11, 2016
Tags: life, struggle, hustle, Africa, motivation, inspiration, education

Author

Olafash
Olafash

Lagos, South west, Nigeria



About
I am thinker by nature. I imagine alot of different things which influnce the way i write. I naturally hate following the status quo which makes me think and write out of the norm. more..

Writing
First time First time

A Story by Olafash


The unusual The unusual

A Story by Olafash