vicissitudes of life part1

vicissitudes of life part1

A Story by Olafash
"

You probably have never been in a third world country and do not know the troubles and challenges faced by citizens of these countries. But when life ignores these challenges and throws its bricks....

"
Lagos state polytechnic, Department of Print Technology, Lagos, Nigeria. October, 2009.

Dare: guy I'm just glad i'm done with this department.

Segun: baba, it's just ND (National Diploma) that we have finished. On to the next one.

Chucks: Segun, I don't know how you enjoyed it and even finished with a distinction but I'm not coming back to this department. I'm glad I'm done with the ND. I would go and look for something to do.

Segun: You guys know how it goesin this country now. No first class, no life.

Chucks: Brother, even people with PHD are driving trucks. It is left for every man to pray and ask God to show him his way. I tried for four years before I could gain admission to a tertiary institution. I finally got into a polytechnic to study a course that is aged and it's curriculum has not been reviewed for decades. I struggled out of it and you expect me to continue because I will suffer if I don't? Tell me what is the use suffering in school and then getting a job that you would suffer because you won't love it. My brother job satisfaction is very very important.

Segun: My guy, i'm human and I made Distinction here. If Direct entry to the university doesn't work, I will come back for my HND ( HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA).

Dare: Bro, you are beginning to brag. If we enter the legal field, I will pass all my courses like I they are nothing. Well, I'm with chucks on this one, job satisfaction means a lot to me as well. I won't come back. It is either direct entry or I'm done with school.

TWO YEARS LATER....

Dare, Chucks and Segun agree to meet at an eatery on Ikorodu Road... Chucks and Segun are already seated when Dare walks in.

Chucks: Dare my man, suit man.

Dare: Baba, what is good now? Look at you looking like a good student.

Chucks: so I still look like a student. Brother, didn't you get the memo. Chucks is learning trade o.

Dare: it is a lie, I have been thinking all these while that you went back for your HND since you were not accepted by the university.

Chucks: My brother, I can't go back to that place. What am I looking for there. It's been tough though. This time last year I was into internet scamming but had to join my uncle to learn the art of trade. I have not been in any school since we left.

Dare: how would I have know when I lost your number and my phone and I've been very busy. I wanted to but could not contact any of our classmates and no time to come to school. I spend all my day trying to sell insurance policies. Its not been easy.

Segun: ( finally joining the party after listening to the boys and watching them go on like he wasn't there ). If I ask if you work in an insurance company, would you answer me? ( the friends laugh)

Dare: sorry fam, I did not ignore you. It's just that we will start from somewhere.

Segun: why did you not start with me and then move to chucks.

Chucks: guy do you know who I am, I'm chucks the soon to be business guru. He is only showing respect ( they all laugh )

Dare: yes, I have been working with the firm since last year when I was on industrial training and they retained me. ( facing Segun )What about you, I heard you did your industrial training in a school. I'm sure kiki was joking though.

Segun: she wasn't joking my brother. I did it in one low-class school like that. It was terrible for me. Rubbish salary and rubbish experience.

Chucks: and you went back for HND? When will you learn.

Segun: but Dare got a good job right?

Chucks: what is it with you Yoruba people and always wanting to work for someone. You people are the reason the labour force is the way it is, thinking degree's are the only way.

Dare: ( laughs ) Chucks, as painful as it is. I agree with you. We are programmed with the mindset to work for rather than to create. only very few start businesses. Very few.

Segun: Dare you would agree though that Chucks and his people would rather Import than create themselves. And this massive importation is the reason we have been having unfavorable balance of trade.

Chucks: as true as that is, it still brings the jobs you crave.

Segun: and those Yoruba's that are known as industrialists have been helping, trying to balance up the balance of trade and at the same time creating jobs. You see that we know the kind of society we want but we would never do it at the expense of our nation.

Dare: ( smiling ) both tribes have contributed immensely to the Non-oil wealth of our country but the situation right now, Mr Segun is the idea that the Yoruba's have propounded that going to a tertiary iinstitution should be the foremost source of success in life.

Segun: I think you are mixing up an institutional problem with something else. If the jobs where available getting the degrees would be a perfect idea and if getting the degree's wasn't this laborious people won't mind the idea.

Chucks: true though. It is difficult to get the degree, then it becomes difficult to get a job. Ultimately, success isn't determine by the degree but by something else I don't have a name for.

Dare: God maybe?

Chucks: yes and business.

Segun: business that doesn't involve importing. ( the friends laugh )

Dare: Sege, how are you enjoying your department, still on a distinction?

Segun: is it not our department ( laughs ). I am now on a second class upper. My hope of getting a scholarship for my masters seem very dim now.

Chucks: you better go and learn trade.

Dare: chucks, this trade thing has eaten deep into your head. I thought you wanted to become an actor?

Chucks: ( singing : when am I gonna be what I wanna be. When am I gonna see what I wanna see, time is ticking and I can't wait no more, do dreams ever come true in this part of the world )

( they have a good laugh. Had their meal, chatted for a little longer and departed after sharing contacts with Dare )


Major Daniels house, Port Harcourt, south south, Nigeria.

Sandra: As the first daughter of this house, I should be the one to go for my masters first while the others wait.

Major Daniels: Sandra, you can go now if you want to but your sister just thought about it and she really wants to go this year.

Sandra: but dad, it would be a bit embarrassing doing my masters while my sister is also doing hers. It is bad enough that we were in the michigan state university together.

Major Daniels: come on dear, it won't be bad. You are still older than her and everyone knows this. One year in London won't hurt.

Trish: ( who had been watching all along in silence ) I really did not expect that from you Sandra. You had last year to do this but you didn't mention it. Now I'm saying it and you also want it. Grow up sis.

Sandra: Dad, did you hear that.

Major Daniels: that is no way to talk to your sister Trish. Now, apologize.

Trish: sorry.

Sandra: ( smiling ) you would have to do more than that.

Trish: ( with a half smile ) sorry.

Sandra: ( picks up a throw pillow and hits Trish)

Trish: Dad!!! ( picks a throw pillow, hits her sister and then runs out of the parlour).

3 MONTHS LATER... THE GIRLS ARE LEAVING FOR LONDON THROUGH THE MURITALA MOHAMMED INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN LAGOS.

Mrs Daniels: I do not have to tell you girls to be good girls, many people are seeking this opportunity daily but God has given you freely. Be of good behavior. I had my brother in Michigan to look after you but in London we have only your father's associates and I don't trust that they would be as nice as my brother to you.

Sandra: don't worry mum, I will take care of myself and this nuisance over here ( pointing to Trish )

Mrs Daniels: don't call your sister that and go ahead and make me proud like you did in Michigan.



Drecrol Insurance Plc headquarters, Lagos, Nigeria. Same Day

Dare: you know what boss, I quit.

Man: you can't, young man. You won't survive. All you have is National Diploma certificate in print technology from the lagos state polytechnic.

Dare: look here, I sell at least ten policies every day and hundreds every week. Yet, Yet, you don't increase my pay or anything, neither have you given me a promotion. I'm still an entry level staff without job security. Is it the certificate that matters to you or my ability on the job.

Man: the certificate is a proof of your competence.

Dare: really, it is? So even if I'm the best on the job. You can't prove that I'm competent by that. That's a foul thing to say sir. You are not promoting me because I don't have a degree? I'm not going to move ahead because I do not have a degree? So it doesn't matter what I have to offer? You are going to judge me by my ability to pass exams in the four walls of school and not my ability to influence the world? I Dare Areola, quit today.

Man: there is the door, young man.

Dare: you will work for me one day soon.


To be continued...
Where would Dare go from here?

Kindly post your reviews and comments. Would love to read what you think. Thanks a lot

© 2016 Olafash


Author's Note

Olafash
Feel free to correct any error, I would absolutely welcome your reviews.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on October 11, 2016
Last Updated on October 11, 2016
Tags: life, struggles, Africa, ambitions, dreams

Author

Olafash
Olafash

Lagos, South west, Nigeria



About
I am thinker by nature. I imagine alot of different things which influnce the way i write. I naturally hate following the status quo which makes me think and write out of the norm. more..

Writing
First time First time

A Story by Olafash


The unusual The unusual

A Story by Olafash