Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Oluwafemi

Michael sat in his room reading horn of africa, wars and conflict, a book written by Leo Troswalds. He had been reading a lot on africa since he had asked his history teacher some questions on africa and was not satisfied with the answer. 
"Sir, Is it true that African have no school" he had asked .
"erm, I am not sure about that. I have not been to afrca before" Uncle Sam had answered.
since then he had put in mind to know everything he can about Africa.
"One day I will go to Africa and build schools and turn them to the lord".
Michael, a scrawny looking boy with a head full of jet black hair and a face that gave you an impression that he couldn't hurt a fly, had always been curious about anything. He stayed indoor and read anything his hand could find.
He had been reading for some hours now . Four hours to be precise. He got up and stretched and recited a few verses from the Book Of The Prophet.
"Micheal Micheal" his mother called .
He didnt answer the first time. He knew what his mother was calling him for . Morning devotion. He hurriedly started cramming and mutterring some verses. He was supposed to know the whole Mneme chapter one by heart today, and recite to his family at the morning devotion.
But he had spent all his time reading about Africa. 
"Michael , dont make me come get you" His mother shouted.
He knew the consequence well to ignore the second time. He ran a hand through his, dusted his cloth and hurried downstairs to the sitting room. All family had gathered and were waiting for him.
The Greenwoods were like every other normal family in Saltlake and live like every other family. A house with a small lawn and a garden where they grow their own food. Micheal mother was that stereotypical traditional housewife, and michael father, Harry, was a truck driver for Bovon Agro Foods , a company that process and sell diary products and cheese in the city. In his spare time he was the overseer of his ministry, The restorative New church. 
He had gotten his call when he was 20years . Harry's Parents were Mnemons, a cult of christians that called themselves "The chosen" and pride themselves as the last of Quakers. Founded by Ludwig Mont in 1974, They had become the largest "christian" group in saltlake. Until Charles Devon came and founded the Saltlake Church. Harry's father had been the one of the Fathers -  when his father died, he more or less took the position of his father. But Harry had always been engrossed the church affairs and had given his life to Christ and the great master Ludig. He had a vision at the age of 20years . In the vision He saw the great master Ludig telling him he had been chosen and given the mandate to reformed the church and clear the path for the second coming of the great master. He said the great master had touched on the forehead and had given him the name of the new church he would later start.
He started his ministry the moment he clocked 21 years and since then had toiled with great passion to follow his vision. He had worked for another 35 years as a truck driver to finance the church.
Elder Alfred, an old frail man in his seventies had share in his vision and had been his assistant and  took as his place anytime he was absent.
A clock chimed on the wall. It was 5:30 am and Mrs greenwood began to say
"It is time of quietness and meditation, let every soul be still this hour, may the great master grant us wisdom and understanding" 
And everybody echoed "May the great master grant us wisdom and understanding"
Mr greenwood took the center and began to say "We are about to be ushered into the presence of christ and great master, If anyone has sin in his heart should leave and at once go for the redemption before joining us"
Mr greenwood eyes wandered through his children, and seemed to fixed on Lily, their lastborn who always brought in strange toys from school.
Lily had once come home with a doll and her mother had asked her about it.
"My friend Paula gave it to me" She had protested in a calm manner when her mother collected the doll from her.
"Lily I know you are young and ignorant but it is a sin to collect gifts from unbelievers. The great master doesnt like it."
"But she is a christian. She and her parents go to the saltlake church"
"Is she a quaker or Mnemon? Listen my child, The christians have been led astray. The bible has been corrupted by the Catholics, and they have rejected the teachings of the great master. We are the chosen. We are the light to the world darkness. when the time comes, the veil on their eyes will be removed. The chains and fetters of sin that the Wicked have used to ensnare them will be broken. But for now they are no different from the world and unbelievers.  Go to your room now my darling, I will do the redemption rite for you."
And Lily had slouched to her room and cried her eyes to slumber.
Her mother, after she had finished the redemption rite, had come late in the night that day to her room to console and admonish her.
"You are a special one my child. Never have the idea that the great master hates you. The great master abhors sin but doesnt hate his own children. You are one of the great master children. You are a special one my child"
"Repeat after me. I am part of the great master flock. I am a special one"
Lily echoed it and her mother sang some verses of Songs of Lord Ludwig and rocked her to sleep.
"Alright If all hearts are  pure..." Mr greenwood began
"It is time for admonition. Michael what do you have for us?"
Michael began to scratch his head, trying to remember the verses he had crammed at the last hour.
"The Lord shall come with his heralds of angels and a great trumpet sound shall announce his coming .. erm, erm"
"Michael, what have you spent most of your time on?"
Go to that corner, kneel down and carried that speaker over your head. He barked at him and pointed at the old television lying at the dining room corner.
Micheal went to the corner as his mother's eyes trailed him. His eyes looking down.


© 2023 Oluwafemi


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on April 22, 2023
Last Updated on April 22, 2023


Author

Oluwafemi
Oluwafemi

Writing
[untitled] [untitled]

A Poem by Oluwafemi


Wishing Wishing

A Poem by Oluwafemi


Living Living

A Poem by Oluwafemi