Something to Remember

Something to Remember

A Chapter by Onnedhiel
"

Kiwarumi flees from harm - then must deal with Qithak's immature behaviour.

"

Thank all the goodness of the world that I’m able to stand here right now, wind whipping my jet-black hair into my face and nipping the back of my neck. Thank Rui that I can gaze down at the houses, deftly carved out of hard red clay. And thank Qithak that my hands are still attached to my arms, at least for the moment.

But perhaps not for long.

I can hear loud voices behind me now.

That’s not good.

I quickly drop over the rough granite rock and run for the village, seeking cover in a dark alleyway.

Speaking of Qithak, where is he? The moron was supposed to be watching my back. At the moment, that’s probably all he is doing - watching.

I will slice his eyeballs out if he doesn’t get down here right now.

I’m cut off from my thoughts by a shrill scream. The priority here is probably saving my life, not ending Qi’s, so I dodge a cart of fruits and a very confused old man and duck into the narrow space between two houses.

If I’m lucky, like in the stories, they’ll race right by.

Go figure.

I’m not.

A large man spots me and points, yelling something in a strange, garbled language. The small parade of puffin, red-faced gentlemen waving their arms wildly follow his gaze and sprint after me. I run straight through the alley and turn left -- only to collide with someone and fall on my backside.

I scowl and glare up, expecting to see a fat washerwoman or a cocky soldier.

The reality is so much worse.

Two slanted eyes like sapphires cast their sharp gaze down at my face.

“Uh… Rumi?”

“Qithak! Not now! C’mon!” I scramble ungracefully to my feet, grab his acorn-brown hand, and run.

“What’s going on?” he asks me as we rush down a back street, feet pounding against hot vermillion pavement.

“Really not the time.”

“But, after I took down the guy in green, what happened?”

“This,” I glance over my shoulder at the mess of sweaty skin and flying aprons following us.

“Oh.”

He waits a moment before adding, “Is what you have really that important?”

They seem to think so, yes.”

“It must be, if you’ve got the old farmer chasing you.”

“Shir? I didn’t think he could walk, let alone run.”

Qithak chuckles, and that’s the last sound either of us makes for a long time.

Well, not a very long time. I may be a thief, but I don’t exactly have superhuman agility. I like to think that I do, but honestly, I fall a little below average on the athletic-ness scale.

So after a while, I’m panting and clutching my stomach. “I’m gonna choke. How much longer?”

You’re the one escaping, not me.”

“I think they’d be okay with catching you instead.”

“Well, sure, you would.”

“Just answer the damn question. Please.” I elbow him.

“Well, fine. Uh…” He checks over his shoulder. “We should be good now.”

“Thank Rui.” I puff and slow to a walk.

“So, what now?

“We go home.”

“And eat dinner?”

“Do you have dinner?” I eye him suspiciously.

“Nope.”

“Well, no, then.”

“Wait, you don’t have dinner?”

“Do I look like someone whose sole purpose is to fetch Qithak his dinner?”

He stops to look at me, taking in the loose brown pants and tan blouse; small black bag at one side of my waist and silver dagger hanging on my right; sharp, sarcastic green eyes; and messy black ponytail. ”Will you stab me if I say yes?”

“Probably.”

“Then, no?”

The ‘stabbing’ remark reminds me of my earlier thoughts. “Where were you when I was running?”

“Oh. Uh…”

“I’m waiting…”

Qithak sighs. “Fine. So, after you took the, uh, whatever you took, that guy came at you, right?”

“Following you.”

“So he had a knife, and I was sorta holding him back and, um… There was a clothing malfunction.”

“Not following you.”

“Well, uh, he cut me.” Qi pantomimes a blade cutting across his chest.

“Are you ok?” I ask, not at all sounding concerned.

“I’m fine. It wasn’t deep.”

“Then how did that delay you?”

“He, um, cut my shirt.”

“Get to the damn point already.”

“Ihadtogostealashirt.”

I disguised the loud laugh coming as a very, very suspicious sounding cough. “So, as a tough, ahem, man, you felt the need to keep your, uh, clothing in top quality?”

“Shut up.” His face is bright red.

“That’s what you’re saying?”

“That’s not at all-“

“Ha!” I clap my hands gleefully. “This, now, is something to remember! This is prime blackmail material!”

“Real mature, Rumi,” he remarks drily.

“Right. Sorry.” I can’t resist sneaking a giggle from under my hand. “So that was why there was a tailor after us?” He nods. “I thought that was strange. I wouldn’t have thought the tailor likes food that much.”

“Oh, he woul-- Wait, you stole food?”

“Fruit.” I crack a smile at Qithak’s eager expression.

“Give!” He reaches for the burlap sack I’ve been covertly carrying since the town square, but I hold it out of his reach.

“Please?” He catches my chin in his soft brown palm, trying a different strategy, and opens his blue eyes wide.

“You don’t look like a puppy,” I read his thoughts, “so let go.” He obeys, and I brush a lock of unruly alabaster hair out of his eyes.

“I’m hungry,” he whines.

“Not until we get home.”

“But-“

“Oh, just shut up and act like a man. You’re two years older than I am, and you act like you’re two years old.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“And two year olds don’t eat fruits.”

“I’ll do whatever you say! I just want something to eat!”

I grin evilly. I can use that to my advantage.

=#=-=#=-=#=

“Nooooo!”

“You said anything.”

“Anything but that, I meant!”

“Well, you didn’t say it.” I scoff at Qithak’s desperate expression.

“I assumed I didn’t have to!”

“You did.”

“That’s not fair!”

“Is too.”

Qithak glares at me. “Well, if I starve to death, will you tell me what the sleazy douchebag told you?”

“He’s not a sleazy douchebag, and no.”

“Then I may as well eat.” He reaches across me to take the sack and pulls out an apple.

“An apple? Really?”

I look at him, puzzled. “Really what? Of course, an apple.”

Qi sighs and pulls out something else.

“A pear.”

“Ye-“

“An orange?!”

No one will ever understand why he’s like this about things, and there’s no use arguing with him.

“And a kiwi.”

He sits back down and bites into the apple.

“You hurt the fruits’ collective feeling, you know.”

“A kiwi for my Kiwa.” He ignores my comment, tossing me the fuzzy fruit, and I set it down gently.

“Make it last. I don’t plan on doing that again anytime soon.”

“I do.”

“You hardly did anything!” I protest.

“I know.” My comment earns nothing more than a satisfied smile from him.

“You are so immature.” Qi nods knowingly, and the conversation lapses into silence.



© 2011 Onnedhiel


Author's Note

Onnedhiel
There may be too much dialogue. Please excuse any silly parts, this is currently a mess. I'll take it all down eventually and untangle it. Also, please tell me if anything confuses you - I really don't know if I actually wrote down everything I'm imagining happening. Thank you so much for even glancing at this!!! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting, great chapter :) and you know HEARTOFSTARS!! Wait.. are you Camille?

Posted 12 Years Ago


An interesting opening part, made me smile at times because things like: "You are so immature" reminds me of a friend and me. I liked it. You should continue.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011


Author

Onnedhiel
Onnedhiel

Bostonish, MA



About
I've completely abandoned this site. :) You can find me on Booksie, by the same name. Cheerio! more..

Writing