Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Orahemae December

In the chill of the night, there was a hollow scream of despair, pain, and sorrow. The town around it burst into flames as the short, bulky black creatures of the night, with their red hair and burning red eyes, blew onto it. Amongst the fire and chaos, a single man walked, as if he were oblivious to the pain around him, following the maddened crowd. The man was wearing a long, black cloak to hide his tall features as he seemed to repeal the fire. The once majestic buildings that towered over the village not fell to ashes behind the mysterious figure, no longer engulfed in flames as if he had put them out.

The dark man suddenly stopped while the crowd continued to flee the village looking for a safe refuge. He was standing in front of the woman who had made the frightened cry. She had fallen in the mists of the crowd and was now shielding he two children from the flames and the horrid figure. With tears in her eyes and a quiver in her voice, she said. "Please, spare my children. I am only a maid in the mayor’s house. What is it that you want from me?"

The man gave a slight chuckle that sent chills through her entire body. Then, stooping down to where he was eye level with the maid, answered her with a cool voice, “I want nothing with you."

The maid's last hope disappeared as the trapped felling and loneliness consumed her. With what courage she could find she whispered her response knowing that he would hear even over the noise of the fading crowd.

"Then why don't you go and leave this town in peace?"

“My work here is not yet finished," he answered with slight amusement, knowing too well that he had no intention of leaving the town.

"What will it take for you to be finished? What do I have to do to insure my family's safety?'

"What I need," the man said seizing her youngest child, her only daughter, and the child she had almost lost not a year ago, and threw her backwards finishing his statement, "is information."

Quickly reaching for her girl in reaction the, terrified woman cried, "Ask your questions and I will answer them the best I can just please leave my children alone!"

The man slowly pulled off his hood showing most of his finished features. He looked like normal working man, dark tan, scared hands, and tough skin, but something was certainly different. He had pointed ears and a lean graceful figure. This man was an elf. Even among the elves this man was odd. He looked as if he had just been thawed. He had short, spiky, blue hair and his lips were white and frost-bitten. His eyes were his strangest feature of all. They were pure white and raced like blizzards. The woman now knew why the air felt so cold while the fire inched closer.

The elvin men now looked straight into her terified eyes. Behind him, many horrifying explosion went off one after another. Then he asked one simple question. “Where is the Third Hour?

 

 



© 2009 Orahemae December


Author's Note

Orahemae December
if find anywhere that isn't in enough detail or seems to be confusing please tell me. this is the first time I've tried to write a book so I'm a little new at this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the beautiful imagery within this story. You have done a great job in develping the plot so far. The notion of The Third Hour has sparked curiosity in me. I look forward to reading more and finding out more about it and this mysterious elf, along with the woman and her children. I was immediately drawn into this story by the first line, in that's what every good writer and piece of writing does and should do. You seem to know what you are doing in terms of capturing the interest of your readers. The only thing I would suggest is that you have a little more confidence in yourself. Trust your instincts when doing any kind of writing. For some one who has never written a book until now, you do a very nice job in plot development. I love where this story is going. The flow is beautiful and the prose reads so beautifully like music.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 17, 2008
Last Updated on March 30, 2009


Author

Orahemae December
Orahemae December

Adamsville, TN



About
Hey guys. I'm Liz and im 18 years old. let me tell you though, things dont change much. I have a lil brother who really gets on my nerves. i love to read other people's work, especially poetry. so s.. more..

Writing