My blue eyed savior

My blue eyed savior

A Chapter by InBetweenTheLines

My blue eyed savior

 

Disclaimer: Salutations all! Chapter 2 is up. Yay. I am having a blast writing this story. Enjoy!

P.S- I do not own the Hunger Games, just my OC.

I blush and avert my gaze from Peeta’s.  He has always been looking out for me, ever since I can remember.  I remember the first time I met him.  It was not too long ago, maybe a year or two.  This particular day stands out clearly in my head, because I knew in my heart from then on that we would be friends forever.  It was in the spring, I remember because the trees were just starting to bloom, and everything seemed like it was coming back to life.  Winters in district 12 kill everything.  They are so bone chillingly cold, that people who live on the street die from being out in the cold air for so long.

  The Peacekeepers never do anything about it, or they pretend not to notice.  I bet if a person were to just drop dead in front of them, they wouldn’t care.  They are some of the cruelest, most cold hearted people I have ever seen.  I try not to get too mad at them, because I know they are just doing their job.  They get their orders directly from the Capitol, the root of all evil.  The people that live there only care about themselves and are self-absorbed airheads.  I know it is not their fault though.  Having everything you need and not having to want for anything would make even the best of people like that.

  Anyway, the whole district looks forward to springtime.  It means that the cold and unforgiving winter is over, and they can start getting their life back on track.  They still have the daily struggle of starvation and disease, but at least they don’t have to worry about dying from hypothermia just by stepping out their front door.

  The flowers that grow in district 12 are actually very beautiful, almost looking out of place in such a deteriorated district.  The aroma always fills the air with a sweet smelling perfume.  This was the smell that filled my nose as I walked home from school that day in April.  The only good thing the Capitol did for us was letting us get an education for free.  I remember I was so happy to get a 100 on a math test, and having such a light homework load.  I walked home alone like I usually do.  I had no friends because people thought I was weird.

  You see, I got very sick when I was 15 months old.  It wasn’t a normal sickness like flu or cold, it was a virus.  My parents had no idea what to do.  They were shocked and scared and probably felt pretty powerless in such a situation.  What would you do if you had no money to go to a hospital and get proper medical care, and if your child was running a 104 temperature and was close to dying right there in your arms?  I bet even the people who didn’t freak out in a hard situation would be pretty spooked.

  Finally, my parents took me to the peacekeepers with an urgent letter to President Snow to take me to the Capitol.  Thankfully, since I was so close to dying, the president took pity on me.  I was airlifted in a hovercraft to the Capitol immediately.  Basically, they told my parents, who later told me, that I had a disease called viral encephalitis.  It was a disease that attacked my brain, and the part it happened to hit was the part which controlled my motor functions.  While staying in the hospital, which I was in for 2 months, I relearned to walk, and even talk.  I worked really hard, so instead of being in a wheelchair for the rest of my life, all I have are leg braces, which I get fitted for every other year, and crutches, which I must use every day.  I’m glad that I got the medical attention I needed, but I am still angered that I had to be so close to death for him to even consider it.  Also, he didn’t even care about me.  He only did those things so that it looked as if he cared, but in reality, he wanted to look good in front of the other districts.  In reality, he is actually as cold hearted as all the other people in the Capitol.

  So, this is the current situation I am in now.  Backpack on back and crutches in hand, I was walking home.  As I was walking, a large guy who looked like one of those football players on TV came up behind me.  Then, I felt a shove and I went tumbling to the ground.  Unfortunely, I fell flat on my face, and probably had some scratches from the gravel.  I picked my head up, and am met with the sight of my books scattered all around me and my papers fluttering away in the breeze.

  The boy who pushed me took my canes out from under me.  As I try to get up, he pushes me down with the end of one of them.  He jabs it repeatedly between my shoulder blades to keep me on the ground.  I cry out in pain as he starts to kick me in the stomach over and over again.  He does it so many times, I am glad I didn’t eat anything in a while; otherwise I would have vomited all over the cold road beneath me.

  He throws the canes on the ground and after about 5 minutes of kicking me, he grabs me by the hair and pulls me up to his level.  “They should have left you to die instead of saving you. You’re just worthless and retarded.” He growls viciously.  He lets go and I fall hard on my side.  I try not to cry because I don’t want to show even more weakness.  With one last kick to the gut, he leaves me there, sobbing on the ground, feeling like crawling in a hole and dying.  I don’t even know how long I am sitting there for, but after a while I pick myself off the ground, and go to collect my things.  When all my stuff is in my backpack, I look for my crutches. 

“Are you ok?” says a quiet voice.  I look up to see a boy who is about 14 with magnificent blue eyes and hair the color of sunshine.  He has a sad smile on his face.  I try to smile back, but can’t because of a sharp pain in my stomach.  I also notice he is holding my crutches.  He must see me looking at them because he hands them to me.  I reach out to receive them, and our hands brush for a second.  I feel my face heat up and I look down at my knees.

“Thanks” I whisper. He nods, and offers his free hand to me, to help me off the ground.  I gratefully accept his offer and rise off the ground.  I wipe off my clothes and look at him.  I notice him from school and the bakery.  I have never spoken to him, or even been in the same room as him.  Before I can think even more, he starts to talk

“I am so sorry that happened to you.  I was across the road also walking home, when I saw that big jerk come up behind you and push you.  I started running towards you, but by the time I got close enough to tackle him, he was already gone.”  He then looked down, as if ashamed that he didn’t do anything. 

“It’s ok. That was actually the first time someone has even talked to me.  Usually people just ignore me or laugh at me.” I say, and bite my lip.  Unexpectedly, he pulls me into a tight hug.  I don’t move or even breathe; afraid he is going to hurt me too.  He must notice my hesitation because he quickly pulls away.

“It’s ok. I’m not going to hurt you.  I promise.” He assures me, and then smiles.  I smile back, knowing I can trust him.  He puts out his hand, and I shake it. 

“My name is Peeta.” He introduces. “What is yours?”

“Nicole Loomwood” I say, barely inaudible.

“Nice to meet you” he says.  Suddenly, he takes my hand and leads me somewhere, almost urgently.

“Where are we going?” I ask terrified.  I just met this boy and he is suddenly leading me somewhere.

“You have a black eye from when that d****e pushed you, and some nasty cuts.  We are going to my house to get you cleaned up.” He looks over his shoulder to give me a gentle and reassuring smile.  I smile, knowing I have my first real friend, and let him lead the way.

 

Chapter 2 is done! Whew, that took a while. Hope you liked it! Review please. This is based on me, so if you have any questions about which parts are real or not real, please inbox me. Until next time, which hopefully won’t be too long.         



© 2012 InBetweenTheLines


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on May 2, 2012
Last Updated on May 2, 2012
Tags: Peeta, Hunger Games, handicap