Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Orin and Raven Valdis

The market place was situated in the center of town where it was within easy walking distance of most of the town. Brightly colored fabrics were usually used to catch the eye of potential customers, but with all the color it was the stands with earth toned fabric that caught the eye. Beneath the shade of the cloth awnings, vendors called out to potential customers, enticing them with their goods, whether they be good or not.

Here was where one could see fairly wide assortment of Kin. From Gusha to Kerof, to Nokia and even a stray Rarnok or two.  Each race giving off their own unique scent, some musky and others sweet, but all were equally intoxicating as they mixed together. Rose sniffed the air as a Kerof passed their musky scent enveloped her.

“Checking out the goods already?” Black Fever nudged her friend playfully in the rib, watching the Kerof saunter off.

Rose jumped, “When did you get here?”

“I’ve been here by your side since we met in town smart one.” the Nokia huffed, clearly irritated at having been so easily forgotten.

“That came out wrong. I’m sorry. I just-”

“How was that supposed to come out?” Black Fever cut her off sarcastically.

“What I meant was I thought. Well um. Okay you caught me. I was checking out the Kerofs again and forgot,” she stuttered out.

The Nokia simply giggled, shooting her friend a knowing look before she disappeared into the crowd.

“Hey wait!” Rose ran after her friend. But the Nokia was already gone, her body blending in easily with the crowd.

“S**t!” Rose cursed quietly.

The sweet scent of fruit wafted along through the crowd. On the edge of the crowd a fruit vendor was offering her produce to some potential customers.

Fresh fruit wasn’t exactly something that Rose could find easily in her mountain home. So it had been a while, and then to top it off, her taste buds reminded her of the sweet juices of her favorite fruits. Making her decision Rose went up to the fruit vendor, "Five oranges, two pairs, six bananas, and two kiwis, " she listed off, "also a case of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, please."

   "Twenty-eight pence please, " the lady responded disinterestedly.

    Handing the woman the money Rose selected her fruit and put them into her bag. Rose only had gotten four steps away from the vendor when a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her back.

   "Get off me." Rose snapped.

   "Aw babe, don't be that way," the knight from the stable reached down for a quick grope.

   "Keep your filthy hands off me you pig!" Rose yelled twisting around in his embrace so that she was facing him, "I am not some two pence w***e that you can do what you want to!"

   "How about a four pence w***e?  The dirty blond knight asked smirking.

   "I bite my thumb at you," Rose insulted, spitting in his face.

   "You dirty f*****g w***e," Darwin yelled, releasing his grip to wipe the spit from his eyes.

   Rose drew her fist back said in a sweet innocent voice, "No, I'm not," and nailed him in the face. He fell to the ground holding his nose, blood gushed all over the cobblestones.

Black Fever leaned down over him, smiling, “Sorry, hun, but today is really just not your day.”

“Where did you disappear to?” Rose asked irritated.

The Nokia hunched her shoulders like a child that was being scolded for doing something that she knew she shouldn’t have done. “I was checking out some Kerof trinkets.”

“Did you find anything?”

“Yes actually, it’s a charm that glows when your near potential danger. It’s authentic!” She beamed holding up the stone that hung from a simple leather cord. It glimmered with a pale yellow glow. Both girls looked down at the knight who had started to stand. Blood oozed slowly between his fingers.

“I think it’s time to go!” Rose grabbed her Nokian friend’s wrist and dragged her through the crowd and out of the market.

   High up in the sky the pale sun trudged its way up. Clouds drifted around it sleepily, promising rain with their full, gray bellies. People continued to scurry about their business, stopping here and there to talk or to go into a store.

Rose and Black Fever finally slowed to a stop between two town houses. The buildings stood close enough for a person to reach across and touch the wood on the other side. Laughter bubbled up and poured out for the second time that day. It was shorter lived this time.

“Alright I still have my own errands to run so I’ll see ya later, Rose.” The Nokia waved as she melted into the crowd.

“Yeah, see you later.” Rose called after her, but the other girl was already gone. Rose suddenly grinned. Oh how her fist and met nicely with the knight’s nose. Grin fading to a smirk, she tied her long red hair back in a pony tail and strutted down the alleyway. Turning the corner she came upon a group of boys beating a furry gray mass.

"Hey!" Rose yelled at them, "What are you boys doing?"

“We ain’t doin’ nothin’ that we can’t do.” The leader, a demon boy with a shock of orange hair, leered at her. The other boys voiced their agreements, closing rank behind their leader.

“Look, I really don’t have the time of day for brats like you so you better clear out before things get heated.” To add to her point, Rose closed her hand around a small ball of flame and brought it up into view.

“Is that all you really got, b***h?” Carrot top asked, a similar ball of flame forming in his own hand. His grew larger and larger in size until it was just a bit bigger than his head. Tossing it from hand to hand he smirked.

“Alright, remember though, you asked for it.” Rose gripped the ball of flame with her other hand and stretched it out. The fire took on a rope like quality, even sagging a bit in the middle. Snapping it tight, the girl whipped it around over the boys’ heads, singing their hair. Balking, the group of boys turned tail and fled, leaving carrot top to fend for himself. Despite their abandonment, he stayed and faced the other fire demon.

Bringing the fire up to his mouth the boy opened wide and swallowed it whole. Forming an ‘L’ shape with his fore finger and thumb he breathed out. A burst of flame ripped its way through the alley towards Rose. Her arms snapped up to defend her face from the blistering heat. Carrot top stepped forward, still breathing flames. After another step the flames grew more intense. He stepped forward again, the heat starting to become uncomfortable.

Rose braced herself and pushed out, casting her own wall of flame that overpowered his flame thrower. Pushing out another wall of flame, Rose knocked the boy further into the alley. His breath left his body with a rough ‘fwomp’. As he struggled to catch his breath Rose was there, wrapping her hand around his narrow neck. She applied enough pressure to pick him but not enough to do any real harm.

"What are you doing to this boy?" A rough hand grabbed Rose’s shoulder, trying to pull her away.

"Teaching him a lesson," Rose stated, ignoring the knight as she slammed the boy against the gray stone wall; making his bare feet dangle above the cobblestone path.

"I didn't do anything wrong I swear, " Carrot top choked out.

"I caught you beating something to death, you little prick," Rose snapped.

"It was a wolf. It's the law, if you find a wolf within village limits you are supposed to kill it and bring the body in for a reward!"

"He wasn't doing anything illegal so let him go and be on your way, " the knight ordered.

   With a snort Rose dropped the boy, who landed with a thud, and ran back to where the wolf lay. The wolf lay in an heap at the base of the wall. Its ash colored pelt was matted with blood and muck. Its eyes were liquid amber with darker flecks of blue and green. The wolf lifted its head and gave a loud warning growl. Rose knew better than to look into feral wolf's eyes, but did so anyway, and saw underneath the viciousness, the pain and weariness.

   "I need you to trust me," Rose whispered, "I will not hurt you. I want to help you."

   'Yea okay, ' the wolf thought and gave out another growl, 'Those boys wanted to help me also.'

   "I swear just let me help you. Then when you are better you can leave if you want.”  Rose begged.

   The wolf sighed with defeat, 'alright, ' and put his head down.

   The girl carefully picked the beast up and began to make her away back to the stable.

"Vickie!" Rose yelled, "I need your help right now, it is an emergency!"

"What’s the matter?" Vickie asked letting the stallion slow to a stop.

"It’s a wolf. A bunch of kids were beating it but I ran them off," Rose panted.

"Where is it now?" The older woman asked suspiciously.

Looking down at the ground she mumbled, “The old unused tack room."

"Why in the world would you go and do something like that?" Vickie questioned in exasperation.

"I don't know. It was a good idea at the time. I mean. . . I thought it was." Rose muttered.

"To late to take it back now. Let me go and get some things and I will be in there in a minute. I don't want to have to dig a hole so go and make sure the poor thing is still alive. Keep it awake ‘till I can get there."

“Yes ma'am. I am sorry to cause you all this trouble."

"It’s no trouble, now go and check on that wolf of yours." Vickie called over her shoulder already heading towards the tavern, “Just keep it awake."

With a brief nod of her head the girl ran back to the tack room. The room was situated towards the west end of the stable. Once upon a time the west portion, consisting of only a few box stalls and the one tack room, was the entire stable. But as the tavern grew so did the stable. It was built upon and eventually grew to be apart of the tavern itself. So now the western side was a mostly forgotten storage area.

The tack room itself was used to store sacks of oats and barley for the horses that passed through. Saddle racks were still attached to the walls, jutting out awkwardly in the narrow space. Scooting past these tricky obstacles Rose reached where she had left the wounded wolf only to find that he had moved. For a moment she panicked, a list of worst case scenarios racing through her mind. Fortunately, for many including Vickie, the girl spotted the wolf lying on a pile of empty sacks. He had dragged himself by the looks of the blood smear on the floor.

   Upon Rose’s arrival the wolf’s eyes fluttered open. His pupils dilating slowly in the dim light. A weary growl rumbled deep in his throat, sounding muffled and non-threatening behind his closed teeth. Making soothing sounds, Rose slowly approached the beast, reaching out her hand in a sort of peace gesture. With what could only be a snort the wolf looked away, irritation flashing through his eyes.

“Heh, you’re silly you know that right?” Rose touched the wolf’s head gently with her fingertips. When he didn’t respond she slowly began to stroke him.

   “Listen now do you hear

The whispers in the rain that calls to me

A thousand echoing voices that yearn to be freed from their restless slumber

The voice that I hear calls to me

Lonely and sorrowful

‘Embrace the shadows that fill your heart as they embrace you,’ it says

‘Savor the freedom as they unshackle your bonds

And slice through your chains with a blade sharp and keen

You can’t know your weapon until you hold her in your arms

A creature touched by corruption

A tool forged from fire and stone

Take it in hand and turn back time

Or simply forget and fade from this crumbling world’”

“A beautiful song,” Rose looked back to see Vickie walking towards her, “An old fire gypsy lullaby right?”

“Yes, my mother used to sing it to me when I was little and couldn’t sleep.” The wolf’s ears pricked at the sadness in the girl’s voice.

‘Fire gypsy. . .’ he looked at the other woman who still loomed over him.

“You didn’t grab very much.” Rose commented, eyeing the small basket of herbs and wraps doubtfully.

“He doesn’t need much.” Vickie knelt down and began the task of mixing the different herbs together. “Would you mind getting a rag and water bucket? I seemed to have forgotten them.”

Nodding, the girl sprang up and dashed from the room. Vickie watched her leave before turning back to the wolf. Herbs forgotten she reached out and ran her hand through the wolf’s fur. He snarled and snapped at her hand. A quick clout on the muzzle quickly changed his mind.

“If you’re going to be this much of a hassle to the girl then you’ll have me to hear from, got that? She’s not the brightest but her hearts in the right place.” Still running her hands over his pelt, Vickie noticed a darker pattern. “So that’s what you are. Well, don’t go hurting her; she’s had enough to deal with without someone making things worse.”

The wolf narrowed his eyes curiously.

“Let her find out on her own and then when she’s ready she’ll tell you.” The wolf snorted, his head falling back to the empty sacks.

Running footsteps brought their attention to the door. Rose appeared breathlessly, water sloshing from the bucket, all over her front. The girl flushed in embarrassment.

“Oops,” She sheepishly rubbed the back of her head. Vickie said nothing as she took the half empty bucket and rag from the girl. Rose watched as the woman briskly cleaned the open wounds, ignoring the wolf’s growls of pain. Moving forward Rose began to stroke the wolf’s head again. It was a small gesture but comforting nonetheless.

“Flip him.” The wolf snarled as they flipped his body over gently. His matted fur caught the burlap sack beneath him. The sack was pulled with him, cocooning him in its coarse weave. Pulling it off Vickie went back to cleaning the wolf’s wounds, ignoring his continued growling.

“Alright now I’m going to need you to hold him down.” the older woman pulled out a jar of herbal poultice.

"Will it hurt him?" Rose asked worriedly. She moved his head to lie in her lap while she used her other arm to press down gently on the base of his neck.

“It’ll sting a little.” Vickie leaned dipped her fingers in the jar and paused, “Just don’t let him bite me.”

"Okay I won't let him, " Rose turned to the wolf and said in a baby voice, “don’t bite her okay?"

'I am not going to bite her, but keep baby talkin’ me and we will find out who I might bite instead’ the wolf glared up at the girl from beneath her fore arm.

"Rose, stop that or he will bite you instead," Vickie said.

   "No he. . ." Rose met the wolf’s glare, "Okay maybe he will."

   “Ready?” Vickie didn’t wait for a response as she dabbed the mashed herbs into the cuts. The wolf tensed but made no attempt to thrash or bite.

“Good boy! You’re doing so well,” Rose murmured soothingly as she watched the other woman work.

“He’s sleeping now,” Vickie informed dusting herself off.

“What did you use?”

“To put him to sleep I used poppy seeds and kava kava. For the cuts I mixed together comfrey, calendula, and burdock. I’ll give you the poultice so that you can re-wrap him.”

Rose didn’t accept the offered jar at first, instead she simply looked at the older woman strangely. Before Vickie could say anything the girl had launched herself at the woman and wrapped her arms around Vickie’s neck.

“Thank you for everything!” Came Rose’s muffled voice as she buried her face into the woman’s shoulder.

“Hey now, there is nothing to thank me for. I was just helping out because you’re like a daughter to me. Just seeing your smiling face is enough thanks for me.” Vickie smiled, kissing the girls head affectionately. “Now come on, we have to get Gideon hooked up to the cart so you can bring your friend home.”

“Right,” With that the girl dashed from the room again.

Vickie chuckled softly.

“That girl,”

~~~

"Rose, Rose, Rose!" a young blue troll chirped running up along side the cart. Her short furred tail wagging excitedly.

“Hey, Michelle,” Rose stopped the cart and hopped down. Grabbing the girl under her arms Rose swung her up in a circle. An excited laugh escaped the girl’s mouth contradicting her tight grip on the older girl’s forearms. Rose laughed happily as she slowed down and finally stopped; letting the little girls feet touch the ground again.

“Rose, you left your bag in the alley way. I tried to bring it back but those boys took it from me and wouldn’t let me take it back to you.” Michelle looked up apologetically.

“Well, then, I’ll just have to back there and teach those mean boys a lesson now won’t I?”

“Yeah, Teach them not to mess with us girls!” Michelle exclaimed excitedly, “I’ll watch Gideon for you, Rose.”

"Thank you so much!" Rose waved running back into town.

   Michelle watched her go for a moment, waiting until the older girl was out of site before dropping her bag on the ground.

“I’m sorry, Rose, but you really are a twit.” She chided softly, “Now I just have to finish what those boys couldn’t.”

   Walking over to the cart, the troll hopped easily onto the wheel and balanced precariously while she looked the wolf over. His chest and shoulders rose and fell rhythmically as he slept.

“Too easy,” She smirked pulling out a simple dagger.



© 2011 Orin and Raven Valdis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on August 3, 2011
Last Updated on August 3, 2011