Circles - Chapter 7

Circles - Chapter 7

A Chapter by Oxonian

 

Chapter 7
 
 
 
“That was an excellent meal Emma,” Robert said patting his stomach contentedly.
         “I was going to try that recipe you gave me for chicken, but decided I’d let you do it the next time we go to your place,” Emma replied, a broad grin on her face.
        Matthew leapt from the chair to change the record. In the process, his slippered foot managed to kick the mug, spilling its contents over the carpet. Frisbee the cat moved speedily from his cosy resting place as the hot liquid approached.
         “Oh Matthew,” shrieked Emma angrily as a large wet patch began to appear.
         “I’m sorry luv. It were an accident,” Matthew offered weakly.
        Stella fought to prevent herself from bursting out in laughter. Robert gave her a desperate look, pleading with her to restrain herself. In the meantime the patch was growing.
        “Well don’t just stand there. Get a cloth and wipe it up!” shouted Emma.
        Matthew sped off to the kitchen and returned with a cloth. He bent down and mopped vigorously. When he had finished, he picked up the offending mug and went to refill it.
        Robert watched as he placed the mug on the floor, knelt in front of the record player and flicked through the albums.
        “Do you like Fairport Convention Robert?” Matthew asked, holding the cover aloft.
         “Never really listened to them before.”
         “Right. Listen to this and see what you think.” He removed the old disc from the turntable and placed it on the armchair, lifted the stylus, placed it at the start of the record, then turned to sit.
        As Matthew realized he had just sat on his LP and got up to remove it, his foot again caught the mug. It was too much for Stella, who laughed loudly.
         “Matthew,’” screamed Emma.
         “Sorry luv.”
        Robert finally cracked up. The combination of Matthew’s clumsiness, Emma’s state of panic and Stella’s raucous laughter proved too much. He too began laughing. He looked across at Stella. Tears were streaming from her eyes as Emma and Matthew continued their slapstick.
         “I didn’t mean it,” mumbled Matthew.
         “Just put the mug in the kitchen!” snapped Emma, her head in her hands. “Can’t you do anything right?”
        From inside the kitchen a loud crash sounded.
         “It’s alright,” Matthew started, “Just....”
        Emma was on her feet before he had a chance to complete the sentence.
         “Oh Matthew!” she scolded.
        Stella and Robert were now on the floor, rolling about in amusement. Undeterred by the distraction, Fairport Convention continued to play their happy folk music.
        Finally things were restored to order. Robert shook his head sadly at the beefy Yorkshireman.
        When they had first met, Matthew in typical Northern style, had openly offered friendship and proceeded to make Robert at home.
        Robert recalled how tense he had been on their first meeting. Like a nervous teenager meeting the parents of a young girlfriend for the first time, he’d desperately wanted to create a good impression.
        Much to his surprise, Emma had been totally different to Stella. Physically there was a resemblance that established them as sisters, but Emma was so much more conservative thanher younger sister. Emma thrived on being in charge, making decisions.
        Robert had played the role of harmless boyfriend (he smiled as he remembered the dig in the ribs he had received from Stella as she had warned him to “stop sucking up to her”, when they had first met).
        Emma had taken a shine to him, and they had soon become good friends. Now they dined together at least once a week, and Robert valued this newfound friendship greatly.
        Matthew was an accident-prone softie. A big man of oversix feet, he needed someone to take care and organise his life. Matthew would have been content to take life as it came, tackling it as best he could with a warm smile on his face; but Emma would allow him no such luxuries.
        Like Emma, he was completing a teacher-training course. She had planned out their future, and wasn’t about to let his carefree attitude hold them backShe would nag and moan when necessary, pack him off to interviews she had arranged, and took control of their finances. It was a perfect arrangement for them both.
        Emma reminded Robert of his own younger sister Fiona, who had decided at the age of thirteen exactly what she wanted in life and would let nothing get in her way. Now at- the age of twenty-four, Fiona was working in the city, apparently in a position of some importance.
         “Fancy a drink anyone?” Robert asked, returning from his thoughts.
         “Great idea,” shouted Stella leaping to her feet.
         “We can’t afford it,” Emma said.
         “Just one luv,” Matthew pleaded.
         “Don’t worry, it’s my treat. Okay Emma?” Robert offered.
        Emma pondered a while.  Matthew looked on hopefully. “Well if you don’t mind.”
         “That’s settled then. Grab your coats,” said Stella cheerfully.
        They all piled into the small mini.
         “Let’s go to The Duke,” suggested Robert.
        Emma turned round from her seat in the front and gave him a doubtful look. Resignedly, she started the engine. It would make a nice change to drink in probably the most expensive place in Oxford; she put the car into gear and pulled away. Stella had wrapped herself around Robert. 
        “They don’t do bitter there, do they?” Matthew asked.
         “‘Fraid not mate. You’ll have to drink wine, cocktails or lager like us Southerners,” Robert replied, mimicking his Yorkshire accent.
 
 
 
Joan took one final look at the three jumpers before deciding on the baggy cashmere.  It was right down Stella’s street. She simply adored loud clothes and although her recent choice of attire had seemed almost conservative, Joan knew she would love the bright blue jumper.
        She picked up the garment and walked over to the cash desk. She opened her purse, removed the American Express card and waited patiently for the cashier.
        She was sure that Stella was seeing someone new. That was the only explanation for her sudden transformation. When a person like Stella who couldn’t put together an outfit suddenly developed dress sense, then it could only mean that someone was influencing them. Joan looked forward to finding out more about this mystery man when Stella came homefor Christmas.
         “Is that all madam?” the pretty young salesgirl asked.
         “Yes thank you,” Joan replied and handed the card to her. She signed the receipt and took her bag from the smiling assistant.
        Having completed her shopping, Joan placed the bags on the back seat and fastened the seat—belt. She had done well. Only Clive and Emma’s present remained a problem.
        Emma and Matthew she corrected herself as she eased the car into first gear. She shook her head at the thought of the strange couple. Matthew was like a little boy. He relied so much on Emma. There was no doubting who the boss of that pair was. She had always thought that Emma would end up with a strong man, someone who’d take charge, yet she seemed happy with Matthew.
        Joan laughed quietly as she thought of some of the calamitous things Matthew had done. The last time he had reduced the whole family to tears when he had set the barbecue alight. Flames had narrowly missed him, as he had squirted the soda syphon furiously in an attempt to extinguish the burning steak. In the melee, he had managed to soak Emma, who in turn had launched into a scathing verbal attack on the poor unfortunate lad. Every other member of the family had been rolling about in laughter at their crazy antics.
        Joan slowed the car as she approached ‘Beechcroft’. Christmasthis year promised to be eventful with Matthew around and the prospect of Stella in a serious relationship.
        She closed the front door and kicked off her shoes.
 
 
 
Robert emptied the gin and rose from the bed to turn off the tape. With Stella away, and no racing, he’d spent a boring day watching TV and listening to music. As much as he liked music, there was a limit to how much he could listen to. To make things worse, whenever he was alone, he always seemed to play sentimental songs that only served to heighten his loneliness. They may well have been classics, but he didn’t need Al Green to keep reminding him ‘You Ought To Be With Me’. He pressed the STOP button and cut Reverend Green’s dulcet tones off before he repeated the chorus. Picking up the remote control, he pointed it at the TV and pressed the button spitefully.
        For ten minutes he watched the end of the afternoon film; yet another reminder that Christmas was the time for families. Robert wondered if anyone ever thought of single or lonely people at Christmas.
        Mercifully, the Von Trappes were now escaping to Switzerland or some other snowy haven.  Robert poured another large gin and prepared himself for the Queen’s speech. When she wished the nation a merry Christmas, he raised his glass in a toast.
         “Merry Christmas Your Majesty, family and friends,” he saidloudly, then started laughing.
        He picked up the phone and dialled the number. It was answered on the third ring.
         “Hello,” the voice said.
         “Can I speak to Stella please.”
         “It’s me you fool. Hold on, I’ll take it on the phone upstairs. Mumma and dadda are in the next room. Don’t hang up.”
        Robert took another slug of the gin while he waited.
         “Hi. It’s okay now; we can talk. I’ve missed you. Have you missed me?”
         “Why, where’ve you been?” he answered and began to chuckle asthe gin and the sound of her voice began to take effect.
         “Thank you,” Stella said managing to sound suitably hurt.
         “Of course I’ve missed you. You don’t know how much. I wish you were here now,” he confessed.
         “So do I. It’s mayhem here. Dadda’s pissed as a rat! He must have drunk four bottles of pink champagne on his own. Emma and Valerie have had an almighty row, and the boys are running riot on the BMX bikes dadda bought them. And get this; Matthewthrew up over Emma. It was hilarious.”
        Robert listened jealously as she recounted the episode.
         “I’ve been pretty busy myself,” he lied
         “Did you get many pressies? I got loads,” shesaid excitedly. Robert glanced under’ the TV. The three presents she had bought him were still wrapped neatly in their bright paper.
         “Only a couple, nothing exciting.  Jumpers and things. I thought I’d leave the ones you gave me till you get back.”
“I wish you could be here,” she said in a whisper. “Are you at your mum’s?”
         “I thought I’d phone you first, then go up there. She likes to eat dinner late at Christmas,” he lied. He had no intention of leaving the flat. The last thing he wanted was to be surrounded by noisy nephews, reminding him of Laura.
        Stella paused a while before speaking.
         “Are you alright?”
         “I’m fine. I’m having a great time. I’ve been around a couple of friends,” he lied again, “but I can’t wait until you get back tomorrow.”
         “Dadda’s dropping me off at the coach station. I’ll get the five o’clock coach.”
         “I’ll meet you at Queen’s Lane, shall I?” he asked.
         “You don’t have to    
        “I want to. I can’t wait to touch you. I couldn’t sleep last night without you beside me. I want to show you how much I love you tomorrow.”
         “Stella,” Robert heard Emma calling in the background.
         “I’ve got to go. We’re going next door for a drink. I’ll see you tomorrow. I love you.”
         “I love you too,” he answered genuinely.
         “You’d better,” she said, blew him a kiss and hung up.
        Robert held the phone to his ear and listened to the tone as he was disconnected. Taking another swig from the glass, hebanged down the receiver and turned back to the TV. Jumbled thoughts raced through his mind as he stared blankly at thescreen. For two years Christmas had been the same tortuous period of loneliness.
        When he’d been with Sharon, he had looked forward to Christmas. The delight on Laura’s face as she had been surrounded by a host of new toys and dolls, came back to him as if it were only yesterday.
        Before Laura’s birth, Christmas had only meant a long holiday, buying and receiving meaningless presents and an endless supply of food and drink. The best thing about Christmas then, had beenthe numerous race meetings on Boxing Day which always offeredhim a chance to regain the money he had spent on presents and drinks.
        Robert took another sip from the glass and lit up a f*g.
        His feelings turned to anger and resentment as he recalled Christmases when his father had been alive. Vernon had provided Christmas in a box. The presents had been given ritually as though they were some duty he was obliged to perform, not given out of love. Robert had accepted them as eagerly as any child, unwrapping them excitedly along with his brothers and sisters, yet once the paper had revealed the toy, there would always be a feeling of emptiness that he could not explain.
        Robert looked at the empty bottle of gin. He poured theremains of the bitter lemon into the glass, and sipped the acrid liquid pensively.
        Vernon had never shown him any love. A strict disciplinarian, he had seemed to take pleasure out of the many beatings he had handed Robert. Everything had been provided, new clothes, food and books as soon as they were needed. In return, Vernon made sure everyone knew who was the family breadwinner and head of the house.
        Robert had taken it for granted that all parents were like Vernon until he’d started going to the Grammar school. There he had met white boys who spoke fondly of their fathers. It had confused him at first, and he had been sure they were all lying, but when he had visited Edward’s house and found him on first name terms with his parents, he had realized that he was the one in a strange situation.
        When Vernon had died, Robert had spent the best Christmas of his childhood with Edward and his family.
        It had been such a change to be surrounded by people who cared and were not afraid to openly show affection to their children.
        When Laura had been with him, he had made sure he’d spent time with her, showed her he loved her. Robert lit another cigarette and stared dolefully at the picture of his daughter. He wondered how she was spending Christmas. Perhaps Sharon had found another man who would be showering Laura with gifts. He shuddered at the very thought.
        Stella didn’t realize just how fortunate she was to have a family that cared and loved her so much.
        Rising from the bed, he flicked through the albums. His fingers stopped automatically as he found the record. Robert placed the disc on the turntable, fetched another bottle of gin, and returned to bed. The wordsbegan as he cracked the seal of the new bottle.
        The phone rang.  Robert ignored it. It wasn’t Stella, and he didn’t want to speak to anyone but her. It kept on ringing for a couple of minutes before the caller gave up.
        The glass fell from his hand as he found temporary respite from his sorrow in a drunken sleep.
 
 
 
        “There’s no answer,” yelled Michael as he replaced the receiver. “He must be out.”
        “Okay. Set the table. We’ll have to eat without him,” Violet said sadly.
        She had been certain that Robert would have come round today. Since his first visit, he had been back a couple of times, spending a little longer each visit. She hadhoped that today of all days, he would spend with the family.
        Removing her apron, Violet donned the oven mitts and picked up the roast turkey. She glanced at the chicken she had cooked specially for Robert who detested turkey. She closed the oven door and left the kitchen.




© 2008 Oxonian


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This chapter was kind of sad. But interesting none the less. I wonder when Roberts going to meet Stella's dad Clive and how Clive is going to react. Or is Sharon and Laura are going to come back into the picture. All these questions!! lol can't wait to read more though.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
1 Review
Added on July 21, 2008


Author

Oxonian
Oxonian

London, United Kingdom



About
Been around, seen a lot and lead many different lives in my one life. I enjoy wirting and like most writers would love to be able to say I make my lving from writing - ah well one day sonny one day. .. more..

Writing
Trapped Trapped

A Poem by Oxonian