Chapter 1 (continued)

Chapter 1 (continued)

A Chapter by browkm

Jaclyn felt her chest burn as she laid in complete darkness. Everything was so cold it was to the point of numbness. That is everything except for her chest. It was on fire like someone had set a candle inside her. At first breathing was simple, easy, but slowly as if the ceiling was collapsing on her, it became harder to take in a breath. Her senseless world swam around her in a haze. With every passing minute she was slipping away and she knew it.

She wanted to cry out in joy as she came closer to death. The cold crept along her body like ants marching, starting from her fingertips and working its way towards the fire as if wanting to end her pain. Jaclyn could only wait till it consumed her. Then she’d be free….from everything.

Then suddenly the darkness was shaken by a voice. It was strong, deep, and powerful. It shattered her peaceful world as the words were shoved in her mind.

No, no, no, no don’t die, the voice demanded in a predator like growl.

Jaclyn wondered if it was just an illusion of her abyss or was this someone trying to save her. She didn’t want a savior, she wanted and executioner. She didn’t want to live if living meant being their toy. No she’d rather stay her in her world of darkness.

The cold almost completely consumed the fire in her. The pressure on her chest was disappearing. She was almost gone, almost there to complete and utter bliss. Then there came the itching. It started at her lips, a subtle tingling sensation. It slowly became warmer until it set fire to her lips. It spread to her throat and down it expanding slowly throughout her body. The heat scorched her so badly she wanted to scream out in agony. The fire spread all the way to the tips of her toes, consuming her. Jaclyn clenched her teeth as wave after wave of pain fell on her.

Then quicker than it came, it left. Her body ached from the abuse. She was no longer numb but in agony. Then as if where heaven sent, coldness set in. It swallowed her relieving her aches. Now there was nothing in her black abyss. She couldn’t feel her body. She couldn’t hear herself breathe or hear her heart beat. Was she finally dead? Was this death?

Shallow and weak like a frail baby bird a thump radiated out into the darkness.  It was almost invisible to the eardrum, but Jaclyn could feel it. Her heart….it was beating. It continued slowly and methodically on. It had a slower pace than a human’s but faster than deaths. She was alive and she wanted to weep.

Jaclyn couldn’t remember how but she stood. She stood on her two feet, and only then did she understand how long she laid there. Her knees protested against her as she bent them. She couldn’t hear anything but the slow steady beating of her heart. It filled her ears like someone who was playing a sorrowful melody. Everything around her was black. She couldn’t see anything. She even made sure her hands where still attach by flexing her fingers and wrists.

Come back.

Jaclyn paused. Was this a trick of the mind or was there someone here? Who were they? Would they hurt her? Her heart beat speed although it just seemed to beat normal now.

Come back to use Jaclyn.

Her name echoed through the abyss. Everything seemed to stop; there was stillness to the air. Then like a rock hitting a window her blackness shattered. Suddenly she was falling, her stomach leap, her heart began to pound, and he scream was caught in her throat.

Jaclyn jolted awake. She went from stable to dizzy in less than a second. The world swayed around her making her stomach roll. She clutched her stomach and grimaced.

“Breath child.” A voice told her soothingly. It seemed miles away. Jaclyn opened her mouth to speak but instead inhaled the air. She began to pant, her surroundings settling around her.

“I’m not dead.” She whispered, the disappointment hidden as her voice cracked.

“No lass your quite the opposite.” The voice told her gently. Jaclyn looked towards the distant speaker to find her in arms reach from her.  It was an elderly lady, her face gentle and kind. Her soft blue eyes were comforting in the midst of Jaclyn’s panic. She was dressed in a soft green dress and had a shawl draped around her shoulders. Her weathered hands kneaded herbs in a porcelain bowl. The smell made its way to Jaclyn’s nose. It was repulsive.

“What is that?” Jaclyn asked in a croak.

The woman smiled, “It herbs mixed with the oils of rosemary. This is what called you back.”

“From where?” Although Jaclyn was half afraid of what the answer might be.

“A place between life and death, a limbo of sorts where nothing is something and something is nothing. A place like that no girl as pretty as you should visit again.” The crone explained.

Limbo; the word bounced around her head making it ache. Jaclyn grimaced as she held her head with her hands.

“I thought I was dead.” She murmured.

The crone crackled something shrill and strained, “Oh lassie you were. You were dead as a bonefish for three nights. Had to keep my eye on you all the while less you wake alone and try something stupid.”

Three nights, she thought. Jaclyn looked down at herself she was still dressed in that retched dress and mask. The fabric was torn where the bullet had wounded her. the skin beneath the mask was sticky and stale from sweat. She removed it and rubbed her nose and beneath her eyes yet Jaclyn still felt gross.

“You’ll be able to freshen yourself up soon enough dearie.” The woman assured her as she sat her bowl aside.

“Who are you?” Jaclyn asked.

The crone smiled gently, “I’m Liza a friend of Polarus.”

Somehow that wasn’t really as comforting as Jaclyn hopped. She scanned the room. It was dim with little light that came from the bay window. Jaclyn herself lay on a four poster canopy bed made with silk sheets and a tawny red fur blanket. To her right was a closed door and abstract pictures. To her left was an archway that led into a separate room. It, as far as she could tell, was filled with a sofa, chairs, and a fireplace. This defiantly was not her bedroom, and she had the slightest suspicion it wasn’t her cousins house either.

Panic began to settle in as she realized she was in an unfamiliar place. Where was Lindsey? And where in hells name was she?”

“Wh�"where am I?” she asked her voice a little clearer than before.

“Now child don’t be getting hysterical on me. The last thing I want to do is bap you on your noggin.” Liza warned.

Jaclyn clenched her fists and repeated, “Where am I?”

“Station Street off of Paton road, you know the Calpis estate?” Liza replied slowly as she watched Jaclyn closely.

Calpis that sounded familiar. Why was the name so familiar?

“Where’s my cousin?” Jaclyn asked longing for some familiarity.

“Oh you mean the lass with the red hair?” Liza asked, “She’s safe and sound in her house. We’ll send word that you’re alright.”

Somehow that didn’t comfort her but made her wearier. She was now in a stranger’s house alone. This was not going to go well at all. She could feel it.

A pain struck her in her stomach sending her doubling over. Jaclyn wrapped her arms around herself and began to grinded her teeth.

“My stomach…” Jaclyn hissed.

Liza frowned, “Oh dear you’re hungry.”

“Hungry?” Jaclyn gasped as she gripped tighter. Another shot of pain radiated through her gut making her huddle father into the fetal position.

“Lass you’ve been dead for three nights and no matter how talented they are the dead can’t eat.” Liza told her as she headed in the other room. Jaclyn whimpered as she held back the tears. It was like her stomach was folding in on itself.

The door from the other room slammed open. Through her burry vision she saw Liza enter the room and was followed by a tall man. The man held a bottle in his hand.

“Polarus, the bottle.” Liza ordered as she took the bottle from him. Jaclyn let out a halfhearted shriek which faded into a whimper.

“Here lassie drink this.” She told her as she raised the bottle to Jaclyn’s lips.

Jaclyn took a big gulp of the liquid, it tasted salty and bitter. Her throat constricted and her stomach lurched painfully. Red liquid was spat out on the bed. Jaclyn dropped the bottle and steadied herself with one hand as she silently cried although no tears fell.

Polarus watch as the young woman cradled herself on his bed. Her brown hair hung around her like a veil. She was hungry. Without blood her body was actually decaying as she lived. It was a slow process one that could take centuries. At first it hurt, but then after a week or so her nerves would shut down and she wouldn’t be able to feel anything. He could remember this action being done to others around him, their screams still rung in his ears.

“Why did she spit it out?” he asked his eyes on the blood. It was such a waist; it came from a girl in Denmark, a very delicious girl.

“Lad, a vampire in that much hunger does not just simply spat blood. No they drink until the bottle’s dry and then bit for more.” Liza remarked with a shadow of a smile.

Polarus watched as the young girl started the punch the mattress while barring her teeth, her fangs obvious.  The girl was starting to amuse him. Most vampires would attack anything around them by now, but she, she seemed to fight for control over it. He wondered what the motivation was behind it. Why did she fight the instinct to survive?

“Why didn’t she? If anything she should be going after you right now.” He thought aloud as he shifted his gaze to Liza.

Liza smiled soft and gentle, “She’s a Starling, Polarus. I’d be more worried for you.”

Polarus stared blankly at the woman, “Why?”

Liza smiled, “Because she has to feed from the one who turned her.”

For the first time in centuries Polarus’s jaw became slack. A vampire feeding from another vampire was common enough but to feed from one to survive…it was unheard of. Vampires cannot have too much blood from other of their kind without poisoning themselves. It had to deal with the fact that something in their genetic makeup turned the blood they took from humans into a disease, a disease that enabled them to turn humans, one that could kill his kind.

“But she’s a vampire.” He protested.

Lisa shook her head with a small smirk, “No, she’s a Starling. The last of their line and if she dies, Polarus, you will to but by their hands.”

Polarus stepped back in shock his, jaw set in defense. His muscles coiled ready to fight he was a caged lion ready to pounce. He felt like a human again, cornered and trapped. He felt almost helpless.

“Lad she’s dying, she needs you.” Lisa warned as she grabbed his arm and led him over to the withering woman.

Polarus sat next to the woman as she rocked herself trying to fold herself into a ball. He hesitated; no one had feed from him since his turning. He remembered fangs sinking into his flesh searing him in blinding pain. The type that leaves you numb afterwards. He swore he wouldn’t fall prey to anyone like that ever again. He didn’t like feel weak and helpless like a babe. He was coven master more powerful than anyone of his fledglings or another vampire for that matter. He was the oldest, and age meant power.

“Polarus,” Liza warned as the women checked on her own cries.

“What’s her name?” he asked starting to reach to brush her hair away from her face, then stopped short. It was like he was afraid of her, afraid of the pain that could fallow.

“Jaclyn,” Liza answered.

“What?” Jaclyn answered her voice in agony.

“Jaclyn I need you to look at me.” Polarus told her as he cupped her chin and raised her gaze. Jaclyn looked up at the man, Polarus, who was watching her intently with gentle pastel green eyes. The man took her hand and laid it on his wrist. Jaclyn’s eyes fluttered from him to his wrist. There was the slightest pulse beneath her palm. It radiated throughout her body making her heart mock it and her stomach scream louder. Her mouth began to water and her fangs ache with hunger. Polarus used his nail to slit his wrist. The crimson blood swelled from the wound.

Jaclyn’s breath caught in her throat as the rich sent of blood filled her nostrils. She began to ache with need for him and his blood. She licked the wound gently with her tongue before she kissed it.

Those lips touch his skin and it seared him. They were so soft so gentle and supple. He wondered what they’d taste like. He felt her fangs rub against his skin. He tensed as she sank them into his flesh. But it wasn’t the agonizing pain that he had experienced before. It was a gentle prick, hardly noticeable. It was almost enjoyable as she suckled his wound, giving out whispered moans of pleasure. Polarus growled deep in his throat as desire to feed from her rose inside him. Just to have her beneath him, rocking as she suckled him would be bliss. His gum ached as his fangs threatened to spring forward. One little prick, one little bite to subdue his hunger, his desire for her. He moaned, oh it was too much.

“Enough,” Polarus barked in a strained voice. He jerked his arm out from under her, leaving her off balance. Jaclyn caught herself with one arm and looked up at him with a primitive hunger. Her lips parted and smeared with scarlet red from the blood just like the color of her eyes.

Red eyes the mark of the Guardian. A chill came over Polarus as he locked gazes with her. Those swirling red eyes held raw power, something wild and untapped that he’d only saw once before, that same unnatural gaze only with cold sinful black eyes. He watched as the red faded into an amber brow that was flecked with green.

Jaclyn felt the desire and need began to fade away. The pain in her stomach had gone and was replaced with contempt. She looked down at her red stained hands. What had she done? All she remembered was Polarus laying her hand on his wrist, the pulse echoing throughout her body. After that it was desire, hunger, and the quenching of her thirst. She looked over at Polarus who stood holding his hand over his wrist.

“What did I do?” Jaclyn asked looking to Liza whose eyes seemed to dance as they watched her.

“You fed for the first time, lass. I never thought I’d see the day when a Guardian would be born again through the eyes of death.” Liza told her.

“I fed?” Jaclyn muttered confused.

Polarus snorted, “A good deal too.”

“Fed from what?” she asked, then looked back down at her hands, “Oh my God, oh my God, I�"I drank blood.”

“Genius,” Polarus muttered bitterly.

Jaclyn shot up from the bed and stumbled against the wall with a thud rattling the pictures on the wall. “That can’t be, it can’t be. That means I’m a…I’m a…”

“Vampire?” Polarus said supplying the word.

“You,” Jaclyn pointed a trembling finger at Liza, “You said I was alive.”

Liza gave a chuckled, “No I said you were dead, but I never said you were alive.”

Jaclyn’s jaw became slack, was she nuts?

“The opposite of dead is alive!” she yelled.

Polarus smirked, “Then of course there’s the undead.”

Jaclyn snapped her head around to look at him. She fed from him. She used him as they would have used her sister. What had she done?

“You’re one of theirs?” she asked solemnly.

Polarus nodded unconcerned, “Of course.”

Jaclyn cringed. She fed from a human, something she swore she’d never do and he was completely nonchalant about it. How could he be so calm?

“I’m sorry,” she muttered, “I couldn’t seem to help it.”

But as if that matters, she though bitterly.

He shrugged, “It’s natural for you kind, correct?”

“Oh yes quit natural.” Liza agreed eagerly, “Guardian’s must feed from those who turn them or parish.”

Jaclyn paused as she straightened herself against the wall, “What?”

Polarus heard the change in her tone of voice. It went from sympathetic and sorrowful to confused and astonished. She must have realized that she could of died again. It was natural to assume such. Maybe it was the fact of being so close to death more than twice in twenty four hours. The shock had probably caught up to her.

“What did you mean from the one who turned me?” Jaclyn asked eyes full of panic.

Polarus raised an eyebrow. Had she not realized?

Liza frowned in confusion, “Polarus turned you, my dear. He saved you.”

A tear slide down Jaclyn’s cheek as she curled her lip in disgust, not only was she a vampire but she feed from on as well. She was sinking lower and lower by the minute soon she’d be scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

“You made me feed from you?” Jaclyn asked him, voice rising with every word, “You made me feed from you, you sick son of a b***h! You a godless creature a plague over the human species! You took advantage of me!”

Polarus watched as her hands trembled in clenched fists. He face was beaming red. It would be almost comical if she weren’t yelling at him.

“I didn’t make you do anything sweet cheeks. You sucked all your own.” He told her with a quirky smile.

Jaclyn’s face was inflamed with a mixture of embarrassment and rage. She wanted to hit him so badly she could think straight. She wanted to claw his smug little eyes out. Instead she let out a scream and stomped out of the room. Then she paused remembering she didn’t know her way around this place at all.

“Where’s the exit?” she demanded spinning back around.

“Who said you were leaving?” Polarus asked eyeing her as he lounged against the archway. He was truly the embodiment of prime evil and sexy.

“Well I’m not staying here. I have to go back to my cousin’s, I have to go home.”

“Think again sweet cheeks.” He said with a satisfactory smile.

Jaclyn began to grind her teeth and let out a furious hiss, “I hate you.”

Liza came up from behind Polarus, “We can’t send you home, lassie. We cannot tell what you would do to your kin. You’re dangerous to her as of now. Please reconsider and stay here until it is safe for both of you.”

After a moment of hesitation Jaclyn submitted in defeat, “Where’s my room?”

“What makes you think you have a room?” Polarus asked eyes full of a mischievous glint.

“Because I’m sure as hell ain’t sleeping in the same room as another vampire!” she hissed venom leaking from her words.

He shrugged, “Sorry lovely you’re SOL.”

Polarus watched as fire snapped in her eyes. She should die her hair red to give people warning about her short temper. Jaclyn looked as if she was ready to kill him. There was so much passion and spirit in her gazed that it intrigued him.

Liza held out her hands, “Will you children stop fighting? Jaclyn calm down. You’re not a vampire lassie.”

“But he said,”

“Polarus may be older than the dickens but that doesn’t mean he isn’t full of hot air either.” Liza spat, “You’re a Guardian, that’s a few leaps away from vampire.”

Polarus watched with a small ghost of a smile as Jaclyn gave him a poisonous glare. If looks could kill he would have been dust by now. But oddly enough all that did was urge him to keep her going. He could just imagine all that passion and fury fed into one long passionate kiss, her body pressed squarely against his and her voice breathing heavily in his ear. That would be worth every second of what she would do to him afterwards.

“I don’t understand,” she said leaning against the back of the couch, “What’s a Guardian?”

“An old race, one that many thought was extinct. But I’m really not the woman to ask, they were past legends when I was born. Now they are almost completely forgotten. I’ll take you up to the library tomorrow and the world will make a little more sense.” Liza explained as she gave a reassuring gaze. Jaclyn sighed as she rubbed her temples to ease her pounding head.

“How long?” Liza asked adjusting her shawl.

Polarus scratched his neck, “An hour or so.”

Liza furrowed her brow, “That isn’t enough time to make arrangements. She’ll be crispy by then.”

“We could always stick her in the attic.” He suggested. Liza pursed her lips and gave him a droll stare.

“I may be distraught but I can still hear you prick.” Jaclyn hissed.

Polarus tsked her, “Madam you misinterpret the meaning. I assure you the only reason for the suggestion was for the magnificent view.”

“Oh bite me.” Jaclyn muttered. Of all the vampires in the world she had to be turned by him? What did she do to deserve this punishment? Jaclyn closed her eyes, God I swear I’ll remember to feed the cat if this is all a dream.

“Gladly,” he countered with a sly grin.

Jaclyn set her jaw and clamped her hands firmly on the back of the couch. “You’re seriously going to leave me here with him!?”

Liza patted her on the shoulder, “You’ll be safer here than anywhere else right now.”

Jaclyn began to protest as Liza walked out of the room. In defeat she turned her attention back to Polarus, sizing him up. He couldn’t be taller than six three, so she could easily wear four inch heels with him. He stood relaxing against the wall arms folded over his chest in wait. He wore a tunic like shirt made of black silk and matching pajama bottoms. He was barefoot which made her feel even shorter. He watched her with light pastel green eyes as a smirk played at the edges of his lips. Stray sandy brown hairs fell from the pony tail he kept them in. truly he was a good looking demon. If he held any purpose for her it would be eye candy.

“I call the bed.” She told him.

“And what makes you think this is a democracy?” he asked stepping closer to her.

Jaclyn looked up at him while a snort, “It’s not, your butts on the couch because I said so.”

Polarus was amused by her spit fire spirit. He shifted to watch as she went back into the bedroom. She looked down at her dress and grimaced as she tugged on the material.

“There are clothes through that door over there.” He told her, “But it’ll be temporary until we can buy you new ones.”

New ones? Jaclyn thought to herself. Was there anything wrong with the ones she had? Oh, who cared? She was too tired to argue with the prick at the moment.

Polarus watched as she disappeared through the door to his closet. She was certainly spirited, he’d give her that. The color anger gave her was becoming tint to her cheeks. Her amber eyes a lit with fury had a certain appeal to them. Jaclyn had something about her that other women in his coven did not.

Sighing he grabbed a pillow from the bed and tossed it on the couch. Even though he wouldn’t feel anything while he slept he still didn’t want to regret it when he woke. Polarus lay there on his back waiting for the sun to rise when he hear Jaclyn padding across the floor. Out of curiosity he peered over the ridge of the couch.

Jaclyn rounded the bed in a pair of his green slid pajamas. The cuffs of the sleeves were rolled up to her elbows and the pants rolled so she wouldn’t trip over them. Her hair was down fanned around her in waves. She was attractive in an average sort of way, nothing overly special.  Yet Polarus couldn’t help but desire another taste from her, just one more sip of her blood.

How long had it been? He thought to himself. How long since he had a woman in his bed?

Too long seemed to be an acceptable answer. Polarus laid back trying to adjust himself around the bulge in his pants. As he lay a tingle ran up his spine. Then slowly he slipped into his death sleep.


© 2012 browkm


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on December 25, 2012
Last Updated on December 25, 2012


Author

browkm
browkm

KY



About
Well obviously I love to write and I want to grow as an author. I thought the best way to do that is to post them online. I mostly love doing creative things such as art and sculputres. I'm a gamer wh.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by browkm


Pinch Pinch

A Story by browkm