What We Once Were Episode 1 Scene 2

What We Once Were Episode 1 Scene 2

A Screenplay by Panda
"

The epic struggle begins when Kai and his friends, Josh, Kelly, Amy, Tori, Kate and Leon set out camping at the end of the school year. But this is the beginnin of something new. Something unnatural.

"

Episode 1, Scene 2

 

Scene Characters
Kai Dumpty
Kelly Chiner

Amy Heart
Leon O’neil

Kate Creer
Josh Racthorn
Tori Jean
Dominic Racthorn also known as Josh's Father


 

Scene Location - House Of Dominic Racthorn, Rewina Racthorn, Josh Racthorn and Ellie Racthorn. The house has been under the family name for 10 years, it is a bright orange on the outside made out of wood, with a tin roof which is rusted and covered with Dusty. Inside the house there will be two matrices on the floor in front of the Television, the house is clean and very vibrant. There is childs toys everywhere as Ellie is very young. The house has three bedrooms, one bathroom, a shed but no garage, a kitchen and a lounge room, the house is rather small and to one side if the hallways which leads to Josh’s, Ellies and the bathroom there are boxes.

It has just hit early afternoon. Kai is clean and pristine in the warm summer sun. He stands just outside the Racthorn Household just beyond the gates that let him into the vicinity. He looks pleased but slightly agitated the discomfort is obvious by the way he bites his lip. Finally deciding procrastination is no longer an option he takes a step forward. 

Voice of Kai: I find meeting new people not so bad, but when you make the first few steps into their house hold and meet the people they know (a beat) the people that in all honesty you dont really care about just so uncomfortable. Like you have no idea where you can or cant step? put your feet up on the couch? Or even swear like a sailor. Not that I swear that often I just find you are contradicted by what you can and cant do and that in itself is blood boiling annoying (a beat) and plain old awkward.

 

(In a matter of seconds Kai hesitation turns to relief when behind him Kelly stands waving excitedly. Directly to her side pulled up on the curb of the road is her mothers car. Kelly begins to remove her things from the trunk, a bag, a sleeping bag and a pillow come flying out and land on the ground at Kai's uneasy feat. He knows her mother well enough to know she is currently looking at them both through the windows of the car under her dark shades of highly priced sun glasses. Without a moment to react Kelly has launched herself into Kai's arms and wrapped her own around him in a warm and tight embrace.)

 

Kelly: Kai! (She shouts excitedly as he catches her hug and returns one with out a moment to spare)

 

Voice of Kai: Kelly Chiner, She has been one of my closest and greatest friends for as long as I can remember. Kelly has always had this amazing skill at knowing exactly how I felt by either the expression on my face or sometimes I swear its by the beating of my heart. One thing everyone needs to know about Kelly and I make sure they are well aware of is her uncanny ability act. One the stage it seems almost the whole world has stopped moving so her swift and perfectly place movements and words I know through every fibre of your body. 

 

(Kelly picks up her bags and pokes Kai in the head)


Kelly: Stop that thinking thing! If the people here are anything like Josh this'll be more comfortable then our homes combined!

 

Kai: (Smiling and laughing) Our homes aren't exactly a good thing to compare anything to. It can't get much worse than home (he smiles) Its going to be a great weekend! I’m so glad your Mum let you come!

 

Kelly: (She Smiles and watches as the car drives away, she waves as it leaves) Took some serious work though! (She laughs and they hug again and walk inside with their bags)

 

(Kai and Kelly walk inside, When they enter Tori stands up. Amy Heart and Kate Creer sit on the lounge watching TV, Josh can be seen out back through a window cleaning dirt and mulch off the trailer)

 

Tori: Well look who it is! (She points to Kelly) Welcome to the land of Awesome and way from the depths of B***h facedness! (Excitedly Kelly hugs Tori, Tori continues to mock and tease)

 

Voice of Kai: This is what I love about Kelly, she doesn’t give a rats a*s about social status or who she is seen with, most people are fussy about that I don’t understand why. Kelly is popular really popular but she chooses us a group of crazy misfits to be with for the high school break.

 

(Once Tori stops mocking Kelly Kai hugs her and goes and sits down next to Amy, Kate gets up and talks to Tori and Kelly)

 

Amy: Hey, any idea where we are going?

 

Kai: (quietly) I don’t know, I don’t even think Josh knows

 

Voice Of Kai: Amy Heart. Seven years ago I met Amy, she has been a on again off again (A beat) friend. I guess thats the best way to put it. Amy is obliviously pretty but she barely notices the attention she gets. But Amy is honest, almost so honest the at you fear the next thing to come out of her mouth is the rude interruption in front of the whole class that you have a bad smell hanging around. One time during swimming without even noticing she had said it loud enough for the whole swim group to hear she told me that my underarm hair has finally begun to grow. Of course she meant no harm but she was so clueless for her actions I could hardly be mad at her. (Leon enters the room) Leon is new to our group. He doesnt look the most comfortable. But I wonder if I look the same way?

 

Amy: (quietly) are you ok? (a beat) since last time we talked?

 

Kai: (quietly) Did you get my message?

 

Amy: (quietly) Yeah I got it, Kate caught on, kai she saw.

 

Kai: (quietly, He thinks) Has she said anything?

 

Amy: (quietly) barely (she thinks) Are you going to tell them?

 

Kai: (quietly) Why should i? Its not a big deal (a beat) least thing I need is a bunch of crazy people buzzing around my head trying to sort my problems out.

 

Amy: (she hugs him, quietly) Tell me if I can help.

 

Kai: (he stands back up) your honesty is all I need. Thanks Amy (he smiles and winks at her)

 

(Turning their attention to the deathly silence that now echo's the room a group of gossip hungry pretend to turn the attention away from the now disappointed Amy and Kai)

 

Kelly: (she hesitates for a moment) So um whats for lunch?

 

(As Kelly finishes the sentence Josh bursts through the door. A cloud of muck and dust follows him. He is slightly drenched from sweat and the grim now gathers at points where the sweat has met its end. His red ruffled hair now stained the same muck green/brown colour. Under his dark dirty face a large white grin begins to form as he notices the attention of the room is now diverted to him)

 

Josh: (proudly and almost boastful) We need to go to the shops to get some food, we can get maccas then

 

Kate: (Kate hits his arm spraying up a second cloud of the muck into the hair. She examine her hand and shakes I rigorously) You havent done it yet!

 

Tori: (Sarcastically but a sense of disappointment with it)  Obviously


Voice Of Kai: Kate Creer, not exactly the brightest in the Brady Bunch but most certainly the most lively. He love for animals far exceeds that of a normal human being. In between school and social life she trains to be a vet to save the dogs or something. She is more than serious when the time that is required but anything beyond that is Childs play for her.

 

Kelly: (Kate shrinks back down uncomfortably. Kelly looks at her and frowns slightly) What else do we need

 

Josh: Chips, Pizza (he is interrupted)

 

Amy: pizza? (She looks inquisitively)

 

Josh: you cook it on a hot plate, not hard. Anyway we also need water, soft drinks, fruit, salad some meat and a cake. Oh and marshmallows

 

Kelly: a Cake?

 

Josh: For Kai

 

Kelly: (To Kai) Why do you want a cake?

 

Kai: (he shrugs) I don’t

 

Kelly: then why are you getting it?

 

Kai: im not

 

Kelly: im confused

 

Josh: its for Kai’s Birthday

 

Kelly: (upset) Its your birthday

 

Kai: yeah?

 

Kelly: (she slaps him) why didn’t you tell me!

 

 

Voice of Kai: I don’t normal tell people about my birthday. Ive known Amy since primary school she told the group that my birthday was coming up and so was the school holidays so to celebrate that fact we decided we’d go camping. Kelly wasn’t told because she isn’t in our group that much and even though out of everyone I've known her the longest she can never remember such trivial things.

Kai: its not a big deal

 

Kelly: yes it is! You turn 17! That's massive!

 

(kai shrugs off the subject)

 

Kate: when are we going shops?

 

Josh: when I get changed

 

Amy: nah ah mister!

 

Josh: what?

 

Amy: your having a shower before we are seen with you (she points to the bath room

 

Josh: OK, OK fine. (he leaves and goes for a shower)

 

(Amy, Kelly, Tori and kate whisper among each other while kai walks over to leon)

 

Voice of Kai
Kai: As I said Leon is new, not yet use to our crazy insane partys, we arnt like normal teenagers, I mean my step mum said I hang out with misfits, so I spat in her face and named a radio show after it. And now I happily accept that I may be a misfit, its who I am (a beat) but how can I accept myself. Leon was cute all the girls loved him at first sight, it might be the large brown eyes that captivate anyone who glances. Well thats all I see. But this hasnt made him cocky or anything, he has a great personality which captivates people like flies. I like Leon, I find him easy to talk to about basic things, like sports or video games. But he isn't the person you would go have 'deep and meaningful' with.

 

Kai: (Kai shakes Leon’s hand) Hey man your quiet

 

Leon: well that's me

 

Kai: (kai laughs) well lighten up man, its Friday and your about to spend a whole weekend with us (a beat) Ok I understand if your down (kai laughs)

 

Leon: nah you guys are great, Im really looking forward to this

 

Kai: I wish we did this more often

 

(the girls stop whispering and look over to where Kai and Leon sit)

 

Kai: what are you girls up to?

 

Kelly: (defencive) nothing!

 

Voice of Kai

Kai: So obvious, but then you feel bad for thinking such a thing. They are obviously talking about getting me a birthday present, their body language says it all, along with the tone of voice and choice of words. But you feel selfish for even sujesting the fact that they are talking about getting you something. I mean who has the right to think that much about themselves? I feel horrible when I think of something like that

Kai: well if you insist 

(Amy gets up and walks to the bath room door and hits it loudly)

 

Amy: Hurry up slow poke! What are you doing in there, the rain dance or something!?

 

Kate: (whispering) I cant belive he expected for us to go shopping on the day to get the stuff

Tori: well Kai, Him and I already got some of it

Kate: So? Why not get all of it?

 

Tori: because (a beat) because you cant leave it up to us

 

Kate: whateva

 

(Amy hits the door again, on the third hit josh opens the door and she almost hits him)

 

Josh: Oi watch where you throwin that thing

 

Amy: Sorry, but did you have to take so god damn long

Tori: Hurry up boy get changed

 

(josh walks into his room to get changed. Kai and Leon stop talking and walk over to the girls and sit down with them watching the tv)

 

Josh: ok ill go get dad

 

(josh walks out side tori joins him, the crew start fighting over the remote. Half the group wants to watch cartoons the other half want to watch the horror show)

 

Kate: I want to watch spongebob!

 

Amy: yeah so, we wanna watch thriller (steals the remote and lets out a ha ha laugh)

 

Kate: OI!

 

(leon looks scared)

 

Kelly: kate just drop it

 

Kate: I cant stand scary shiz!

 

Kelly: ok fine lets vote, who wants spongebob? (Kelly and Kate put there hands up) ok and who wants Thriller? (kai and Amy put their hands up) Ok well Leon its up to you?

 

(everyone looks at leon)  

 

Leon: (Clenching his stomach) im kinda hungry

 

(they others start fighting about what to watch again, Leon decided to stay out of it)

Kelly: (Kelly laughs and pats him on the back) don’t worry we will get food soon

 

Leon: (he smiles) sweet.

(the turn to watch the group carry on Kelly joins in a few times, so does Kai but its mostly between Kate and Amy)

 

Josh: (yelling from outside) Come on guys!

 

(They all walk out of the house and pile into Joshes dads car. The land crusiser fits 6 people in the back and one passenger in the front. Tori shares a seat with Joshes little sister. Tori plays around with her while the rest of the group talk amongst themselves)

Josh’s dad: Ok seat belts up or I will kill you, get it, if you don’t wear seat belts and I crash I basicly kill you! (he laughs) Get it?

 

(everyone looks at each other and finally lets out a laughs a fake laugh)

 

Voice of Kai

Kai: see what I mean? Awkward right

© 2012 Panda


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on September 4, 2012
Last Updated on September 4, 2012

Author

Panda
Panda

Western Australia, Australia



About
Hello :D Call me Panda ;) I am 18 year old and have become a massive fan of writing! Ever since little I had the dream to get my name know, so I will share my writing with you. Please feel free to ad.. more..

Writing