Future

Future

A Story by Willow Robertson
"

This is experimental writing. I'm trying to write from the point of view of an opposite gender. Enjoy

"

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping and the sun shining in my face. Wrong. This is 2025 people. We don’t have birds or sun. Our entire world is underground, unless you’re lucky enough to work for the government. I actually wake up to the digital sound of a long, never ending beep. I roll over and reach across the bed expecting to feel my wife still in bed. To my surprise, she wasn’t there. Groaning, I get up, slamming the snooze button on my alarm clock. I dress in the standard uniform that the government issues to everyone who is at the same job as me. A 24-year-old virtual reality tester. While this job may sound like fun, it is actually in the top 5 most dangerous jobs in the modern world. Many testers lose their minds and become lost in the computer.

I open the door to the kitchen and am greeted by the sound of my beautiful wife singing as she fills a cup with water. Silently, I walk up behind her, before wrapping my arms around her and pressing a kiss to her cheek.

“Good morning honey.” I said quietly. “How are you feeling?”

She laughs, leaning her head against mine, pressing our cheeks together.

“I'm feeling fine, love.”

I smile before releasing her from my bear hug and spinning her around to face me. She laughs before walking away from me and opening up the cabinet in the kitchen. She pulls out the two bottles we store there, one labeled Matt and the other Christie. I eat two pills before passing the bottle back to her.

“Eat up honey.” I say, before looking at the time. “Aw, crap. I’m going to be late.” Pulling open the door, I plant one last kiss on my wife’s cheek before pulling away and running out the door. One hovercraft ride later, I step out to the front of my workplace, Cyber Tronics Central. As I place my hand on the scanner, and the door opens for me, I greet my friends as I walk up to my workplace. Today, I have been chosen to test the new virtual reality game, Varik. The game is based on the planet that was found 5 years ago, with the player being one of the explorers from the lost quest of Varik.

I was chosen to be the tester. It was supposed to be some huge honor, but to be honest, I was just nervous. I stepped into my supervisor’s office, and he held up some headgear.

“Hello Matt.” He said, a huge grin on his face. “Are you ready?”

I almost answered no, but if I did this, I would get a huge pay raise. Christie needed it. Especially since we qualified to have a child.

“Of course.” I answered, hoping my smile wasn’t too fake.

I quickly attached the helmet to my head. Turning to the viewing area, I gave them thumbs up. The world began to flash around me, until I found myself on the planet Varik. I was dressed in the space suit, and as I looked, words started rolling across the screen, telling me my mission. All the words were in the right order and everything. The last sentence began to scroll across the screen, when, suddenly, static blurred the area around me. As it cleared up, I began to remember who I was. Josh Garrick, a member of the Varik team 1. I was sent to discover if there were any natives on the moon. Somehow, I already knew were a village was. I headed that direction, and as I stepped through the trees into a clearing, I caught sight of a Varik with long auburn hair. For a second, I got a flash of memory from someone else, and a name. Christie. But the moment passed. It was probably just a side effect of landing on a new planet. Smiling, I stepped forward towards the leader of the Varik’s.

“My name is Josh." I announced. “And I come in peace.”

© 2015 Willow Robertson


Author's Note

Willow Robertson
Any and all reviews are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on October 26, 2015
Last Updated on October 26, 2015

Author

Willow Robertson
Willow Robertson

Beulah, CO



About
I love writing poetry. I am bisexual and proud of it. I'm also on Wattpad, where I have my collection, A Realm of Poetry. I appreciate any and all reviews. more..

Writing
Proud Proud

A Story by Willow Robertson