Heroes

Heroes

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I’ve got some dirt on my shoes

 My words can come out as a pistol and I’m no good at aiming, but I can aim it at you.

 I’ve got edges that scratch and sometimes I don’t have a filter


but I’m so tired of eating all of my misspoken words.

 

 

Stooped down and out you’ve got me begging for thread


To sew this hole up that you ripped in my head.


Hold it out and try to hide it

 


But my tracks are better



“If you know what’s good for you, just try and keep quiet.” I told myself as we visited my sister for Easter.

I was doing so well! Keeping to myself and being quite peaceful and happy.

Then in a blink of an eye those usual nasty words of hers came out in such a casually cruel way.

We were laughing about a recent Facebook post I had about a woman named Lydia. My sister went on to tell me that she and her friend (a family friend) sometimes will refer to me as a character from a book named Lydia.

Lydia Bennet from Pride and Prejudice.

This character does not make good decisions, is boy crazy, is a total airhead, and is a drain on her family.

 

I can still hear my sisters words. “Like you, she is an airhead and doesn’t make good decisions.”

 She quoted Lydia.


"See? Doesn't that sound just like Kathryn?" She asked my parents.

It didn't. I would never say anything like what she just quoted.

Someone got my sister a sign that says “I’m not bossy, I’m just a b***h” for Christmas. LOL

 

My older sister. The girl I looked up to, literally thinks I’m an airhead who doesn’t make good decisions.


I'd like to know these bad decisions I've made.


I’ve always been boy crazy I’ll give her that…but what is so bad about it? It has always seemed like a negative thing.

 I thought about Taylor Swift. She gets garbage for writing about boys all the time, while people like Bruno Mars get praised for writing about women. Interesting how this works.


I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me.

 

I have two choices.

1: Take my sisters ugly road block words, and let them bring me down..

2: Shake it off.

 

I’m thinkin I’ll take #2!

I sometimes may not have a filter…and I might be insulting…(I really don't mean to be!)

 

In the end nobody is perfect.


I'm probably too late now, but I hope to change how my sister views me. I want to be looked at as a girl who has overcome obstacles and chases her dreams. I want to be praised not torn down. I don't want to be thought of as a fool.


I’m going to show her.

I'll show them.

One day I'll do something tremendous and everyone will be so surprised.

They'll never even see me coming.

 


 

Drop me in the ocean?

I’ll swim!


Throw me in with the lions?

I’ll roar!


 

Of course I’m disappointed that my own sister just basically admitted she talks behind my back but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

 

Furry, anger, disappointment, and underestimation.

 

It’s the perfect formula for success.

 


 

One thing I noticed about Lydia’s character is:

She is also  bold, fearless, and untamed.

 

I like those words a bit better.

 

There aren’t very many of us out there like that.

The wild animal kind of people.


We could be heroes.

 Ever notice that the kind, good hearted people are the ones who get burned the most and the hardest?


We are the ones who:

Get taken advantage of

Used

Laughed at

and are misunderstood.


For those of you out there who are my kind, I want you to know we are heroes. We make the world a brighter place. Keep your light because there are many people out there who have lost their own.

We might as well band together...and if we do..perhaps we'll show them how bright we really are.

We go hideaway in daylight
We go undercover, wait out the sun
Got a secret side in plain sight
Where the streets are empty that's where we run


Everyday people do everyday things
but I can't be one of them
I know you hear me now
We are a different kind
We can do anything




We could be Heroes

#Superheroes #lyrics by #theScript


Scorpio strength, never underestimate it . .

© 2015 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on April 6, 2015
Last Updated on April 6, 2015