Welcome To New York

Welcome To New York

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I was reminiscing just the other day


while having coffee all alone and lord it took me away....







As most of you know I love Europe very much. I just feel I fit in there a bit more...


I've been to more places out of the country than in my country.


As a small town Wisconsin girl I have a confession to make:


There is one place in America that I love as much as I love Europe.


SHOCKER I know!


Pick your jaw off the floor, read on, and come along with me to see a colorful flashback.




Back to a first glance feeling on New York Time



Iconic New York, beautiful skyline + Taylor Swift lyrics!



There is one thing I know for sure.


I owe it to that city.


NYC gave me an epiphany.


You know those whiny girls who are constantly like: "What is life? Who am I really? What do I stand for?"


I was once that whiny girl...and New York seized and then ceased my whining because I found myself and learned who I was as a person. 


On this day, 2 years ago, I stepped out into that magnificent city for the very first time.


I was on a trip with my college. My friend Amber and ex boyfriend were with me.


I can't describe New York's beauty all that well, because it is more of a feeling in your heart, than what you see with your eyes.


Perhaps it was more magical because I do not live in a big city.


Here's what I can tell you:


The rush of constant beeping yellow taxis annoy a lot of people, but I loved it.


The skyscrapers seem to whisper to you that the saying: "The Sky is the limit"  isn't actually true because you can go even further. There is no limit. Especially in New York.


New York carries hope.


You can feel the ghosts of it's triumphant past floating around everywhere.


It carries such an enormous boatload of heartbreaking and humble history.


It is the niche for all dreamers.


The lights that glow in Times Square at night seem to be having a contest to see who can outshine each other.


The people! The people in New York are great. There's something about being in a flood of wonderstruck eyes who share your awe...and as for the residents, they know exactly how you feel. They share the love at the end of the day.




Welcome To New York, Taylor Swift



Love. The lyrics above are so true.


I was more in love with the city than my own boyfriend at the time. (Actually to be brutally honest I've never been in genuine true love with anyone other than a child named Cashton.)


That fact made me come to a realization that the relationship I was in needed to be over.


It all started when he used some slurs in a subway station.


I was mortified because The Big Apple is literally the place where everyone, who more than anything, wants to be accepted flees to.


I won't stand for anyone who EVER under any circumstances, puts down another human being so low. I just won't have it.


I grew up a Broadway baby. I've been lucky enough to be in a family who embraces the arts...and after seeing my first Broadway show, we went out to eat at the place where all the Broadway performers go.


It's the place where anyone who knows anything about Broadway dines and basks in what they just witnessed under stage lights.


He complained about the menu, how small the food was, and how expensive it was.


By the end of the trip I didn't have very many fans.


As it turned out most small town people find out they would rather live in a small town.


My friend ended up sick of the city, and I found my ex telling me who I was as a person wasn't who I was or who I used to be...when really all along it's exactly who I was.


To this day I'm sure he still thinks New York is some kind of villain who "changed" me.


Once you find yourself...do not hide away. Even if people don't like who you are.


Especially if you were brave, stood up for people, and were vocal about it for the first time.


I still laugh to myself at how afraid most of my fellow travelers were.


They were afraid to walk around at night on Times Square.


They were scared of riding in a taxi and were intimated and fearful of people who were of a different race or color.


Sad right?


I'm happy I was raised in a cultured family.


The city may have been far too big for my friends...and the lights may have blinded everyone..


but they never blinded me and never will.


Thank you for having my back New York.


Thank you for showing me how to be brave.


Most of all..thank you for introducing me to myself.


For allowing and making my voice to be heard.







That city truly does make you feel like you could do anything at all.



































Welcome To New York - Taylor Swift

© 2016 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow! New York City should be a wonderful place and it is in your heart of hearts. The photos are very beautiful again. As you know Europe is different, two worlds, Europe and America;the old and the new world.

A really beautiful travel along the time. It's too late in Madrid , it's raining...I am going to go to sleep..will NYC a dream?.

- Jesus

(One of the photos(20's or 30's) is very famous in Europe. When in a store I saw it for first time a long time ago I was shocked.)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

wow! New York City should be a wonderful place and it is in your heart of hearts. The photos are very beautiful again. As you know Europe is different, two worlds, Europe and America;the old and the new world.

A really beautiful travel along the time. It's too late in Madrid , it's raining...I am going to go to sleep..will NYC a dream?.

- Jesus

(One of the photos(20's or 30's) is very famous in Europe. When in a store I saw it for first time a long time ago I was shocked.)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 25, 2015
Last Updated on September 30, 2016