Salute

Salute

A Story by Kathryn Smith

Ladies all across the world:

 

Listen up, we're looking for recruits!

 

Get your killer heels

sneakers

pumps

or lace up your boots

 

Representing all the Women

Salute! Salute!

 

 

Last summer, after rediscovering my love for soccer, and after the excitement of the FIFA World Cup, I decided to get a ball and play again.

 

 

My family still seems to think my sudden love for the sport is strange.


 

The reason they think I pay attention to soccer, is because of all the attractive men.


Wrong.


 

The reason why I fell in love with soccer again is because

 

a) It's a sport I can actually play. (I’m terrible with anything that involves a ball…except for soccer)

 

b) Its fun!

 

c) Its good exercise

 

d) It is something new and refreshing for me.

 

 

 

 

Feminism has been making massive waves in society lately.

 

It has been in television, music, and in books.


Many artists are making their voices heard.


They’re getting louder and louder every day.

 

Our world is changing.

 

 

Women have come a very long way…but we still have miles to go.

 

I’ve always been a free spirit and have never been afraid to be myself and show my feelings.

 

I noticed early on, anytime I gushed about liking a guy, it was frowned upon.

 

I was labeled "boy crazy" and it was a negative thing.


Women apparently aren’t supposed to be crazy about men.

 

If we are, we’re considered a serial dater, a s**t, or some kind of sleaze.

 

We must be reserved.

 

We must be mysterious.

 

If we’re in love, all we should do is bat our eye lashes and have a twinkle in our eyes.

 

But yet it’s okay for men to be crazy about women?

 

I don’t think that’s very fair.

 

I was talking about an artist named Sufjan Stevens today.

 

Someone literally thinks the only reason why I like him, is because a man I like very much, likes him too.

 

Because he introduced him to me.

 

That’s not the case.

 

I had heard Sufjan before, but didn’t have much interest.

 

I have been criticized and asked why I didn’t fall in love with him when my siblings liked his music, years ago.

 

Did it ever occur to them that maybe…just maybe I had a different taste in music?

 

That I was in a world of my own at the time?

 

That I was a bit too immature to really sit down and absorb his words and fully understand them?

 


 

Sufjan’s newest work is something I can relate to.

 

It’s about death…and back then, when my siblings listened to him, Carrie and Lowell (His most recent album) wasn’t even a glimmer in his eye yet.


The reason why I love this man so much is because his music and words are words I've been needing and looking for.

 

 It deeply saddens me that no matter how many times I speak the truth and explain myself as a woman,  I am shut down and argued with.

 

My voice is blocked and isn’t allowed out.

 

Now I've had enough. 


I am taking a stand for all the women out there who are silenced.

 

We go through a society where everyone thinks we need a man to define us.


The sole reason why we like anything at all is because it has to do with a man.

 

We must hurry up and marry.

 

Start a family.

 

Become super moms who are addicted to Pinterest.

 

Those labels are rubbish.



 

I’m also standing for the women of Brazil.

 

Brazil is currently playing in the Women’s World Cup.

 

If you’ve been watching, hardly anyone from their country has come to cheer their soccer players on.

 

They don’t have much support or encouragement but these women play anyway.

 

For women, playing soccer in Brazil is deeply frowned upon.

 

and that breaks my heart.

 

 

Don't give up ladies! 

 

Each day we are getting closer to being equal.  

 

Our voices will be heard. We will change this world. We’ll make sure of it.


No one can stop us now.

 

Women are fighters.

 

We deserve to be heard.

 

I for one, will never again let my voice be silenced.  




You think we're just pretty things


you couldn't be more wrong


can't stop a hurricane


it's time to awake






We might only have one match


but we can make an explosion




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjpa0SMOug0


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1VInw-SKc

© 2015 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Simply wonderful Ol' Chap! Simply Wonderful! I seem to recall a particularly arousing circumstance that whet my appetite when I was a young Leftenant on safari in Rhodesia hunting large game and my dear confidant Magistrate Templeton was neck deep in a rather unpleasant dish of the female natives. He was known to make aggressive advances toward the most robust and foul tempered of the lopsided natives. I was not wholly innocent in the matter as I had received numerous smotherings from the seat of the late chieftain's wife! Bully!

Sir Harold Chesterhill of Hereford
(Dictated but not read)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Magistrate Templeton

8 Years Ago

Bully! My friend Sire Chesterhill, fancy to find that the adventures we had while touring Kafiristan.. read more



Reviews

I believe the women are pretty damn good. Just a better game. More skill and speed. I enjoyed the poem and thoughts and I agree. Soccer is very cool.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Simply wonderful Ol' Chap! Simply Wonderful! I seem to recall a particularly arousing circumstance that whet my appetite when I was a young Leftenant on safari in Rhodesia hunting large game and my dear confidant Magistrate Templeton was neck deep in a rather unpleasant dish of the female natives. He was known to make aggressive advances toward the most robust and foul tempered of the lopsided natives. I was not wholly innocent in the matter as I had received numerous smotherings from the seat of the late chieftain's wife! Bully!

Sir Harold Chesterhill of Hereford
(Dictated but not read)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Magistrate Templeton

8 Years Ago

Bully! My friend Sire Chesterhill, fancy to find that the adventures we had while touring Kafiristan.. read more
a great call to all women, everywhere, to stand up and do what they love because the love it, not because it has been dictated to them by men... the movement to equality for all women has been ongoing and while there have been great strides made there are many more strides to take... and you are right, you cannot stop a hurricane, and as individuals you may only get one chance, but if you make it a great one then others after can be inspired to do more. Well-done, Kathryn!

Posted 8 Years Ago


You are right unity is strength. I cannot uderstand from Europe why people have such behavior in America about girls playing soccer (football in Europe). Why?...I cannot believe it in the 21st century.

"We must hurry up and marry.
 
Start a family.
 
Become super moms who are addicted to Pinterest..."

Are we really living in the 19th century ?...

If so there is a clear involution in society.

To be honest society is insane in my view or I am getting old before time. One way or another I would like to live alone in the mountains or in open sea.

- Jesus

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Maybe I'm from another planet but I've learned over the course of years to listen to women intently because they are at least as intelligent as I am and possess way more common sense. So keep playing soccer and maybe some day we will see you representing the American women in the world cup. You can be the next Mia Hamm or Abby Wambach. And then the whole WORLD will be listening. GOOD LUCK!!! take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


a very exciting write kathryn,funny and to the point.and yes life is un fair,but remember most of those rules was man made lol
i will check you tube later

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

433 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 23, 2015
Last Updated on June 23, 2015


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..