Summer 2015 Review

Summer 2015 Review

A Story by Kathryn Smith

As much as I hate to say this, summer is coming to an end. The crickets are getting louder every night. Every year, on Facebook, I like to put up a review and write about what went down in the summer. The season is my love. Summer is what makes me come alive. This summer was the blurriest yet probably most unforgettable. So read on!

 

June: Shut Up and Dance

I jumped into summer by teaching summer school. I had done it the year before and was wanted back! I had a blast. Juan and I were in charge of the song and dance group. There is honestly nothing better than dancing with a gym full of kids. I fell in love with my students and I miss them each day. 

 

Of course I'll never forget Chaddar the Chipmunk...the worst and cheapest movie that has ever been shown. It was so bad, it was good!...but what mattered most is that the kids couldnt get enough of it!

 

I spent my final days with Cashton. He will be headed to preschool this fall and graduated from my care. I took him to the village garden by my house and we got ice cream. I'll never forget the sparkle in his eyes when I told him we could have ice cream. I also introduced him to my second home; the forest. Cash has the best imagination, so having a bright eyed fellow explorer was a treat.

 

 

My lock was removed from the Love Lock bridge in Paris. Sad, but happy I had the chance to put it on the bridge.



I helped my chickas run a carnival and had the best time!

 

 

The air smelled so unbelievably sweet in June, so each night was a night with Sufjan Stevens, stars, and watching the moon.


If that's not magical I dont know what is!

 

 

June was also a rainy month. Aiden, a little red headed girl I know and love very much, dared me to dance in it. I ran out and got utterly and compeltely drenched. It was so worth it though!

 

 

My older brother Steven moved away to Brooklyn New York to work and write for a magazine, and review bands. I never got to say goodbye to him and I miss him very much! God only knows the next time we will see him is.

 


The Womens World Cup began and I cheered on Team USA in hopes we'd do well.

 

 

There were too many celebrations to count! My mothers birthday, Cashton's birthday, His sister's baptisim, and my late friend's Birthday.

 

 

I drove to her grave with my friend and we ate oreos and reminiced of all the great memories Megan left behind.

 

 

One of my favorite memories is scaring my sister! -No that doesnt sound great, but I think it was hilarious!

 

As most people know I practically live outside at night looking at the sky. One night I got locked out of my own house. I tried going around to the back door, but it was locked. The side door was locked...so I had one chance left.

 

I pounded on the front door. Nothing.


I rang the door bell over and over again feeling like a child playing ding dong ditch.


Just as I was thinking I might have to sleep in my car, I finally saw my sister coming down the stairs looking terrified.


She peered at me through the door and I reassured her it was only me. 


As it turns out, she had just finished reading a murder novel while I was pounding on the front door in the dark...

 

It was great! I learned my lesson to stick on my roof.

 

 

I hung out with my good friend Kristen and had so many laughs! She is the absoulute best!


"where are my damn nachos!"

 

 

Cashton's Uncle came to repaint our walls in the basement. I'm still struggling to accept it and see white walls. I hate that the fun mural I grew up with is gone...but at least there are pictures!

 

 

We also got new carpet and new flooring. The entire basement is a whole new world now.

 

The smell of fresh peaches took shelter in my home. I live off of those things! We just finished the last few tonight...here's to waiting another year for more.

 

 

 

The excitement grew as the world watched The USA soccer team beat Germany and head into the finals!

 

 

July: Don't Stop Believing


July is always my favorite month! It was the blurriest month but the best.

 

The fourth of July arrived and I went downtown to watch the parade with Kristen. Later I spent it alone. Everyone was busy or gone and I sat on a blanket in the park surrounded by people with their familes by myself.

 

Finally a friend joined me and we got to see Gaelic Storm perform. We even got to be in the front row (Thanks to me, for sitting there for hours)

 

My friends and I also got to meet the band afterwards and totally shouldve went out for drinks with them. After the show my voice was shot but I was on the brink of exploding into happiness. Those after show energy highs are the best!

 

The fifth of July was a steamy one thats for sure! ;) I won't go into detail, it's a secret. The fifth of July was also a victorious day.

 

The Womens USA Soccer team WON the World Cup. I was late to our city's fireworks show because I opted to stay home and watch the game.

 

A few weeks later I reunited with my best childhood friends and we demolished our ancient playground. It was seriously so bittersweet but so much fun.


After, we went out for Pizza and ice cream. One of my other favorite summer memories!

 

Plover endured many huge thunderstorms. Part of me loved it and the other part hated it.

 

One storm knocked down a tree in the forest I hike in, and it is still blocking the path. I always have to climb over it. I would move it myself but it's huge!

 

On Bastille Day, July 14th. (and Dan's Birthday) I got my drivers liscence renewed. My mom still likes to make fun of how my picture turned out. I apparently look like I am going to seduce someone and then murder them...yep! It's a great picture! haha!!

 

Got brand new shoes and started to walk 5 miles every day. It was tiring but worth it!

 

 

The 17th was a magical day. I got some mail from somoene close to my heart and had a huge campfire to celebrate my 23rd birthday. It was a sucess!

 

 

I turned 23 and ended up crying because one of my writings about my birth story was published. It's nice to be alive! :)

 

At the end of July I packed up my bags and visited my sister. It was so much fun. THIS IS MY FIGHT SONG!!! ;) HA. lol

 

Went shopping and spent waayyy too much at Victoria's Secret. (But hey in my defence I needed new stuff!) I also got a free bag. Score!

 

Met a guy who tried to impress me about soccer....(Though he asked who won the world cup!) ahha

 

I spent days at the beach by myself and swam to a seperate island. I made friends with a dog in an art gallery, and also met a nice british family!

 

The city took my breath away but I ached to see the stars again.

 

 

August: War Paint

 

August is always rough. Always.

 

 

On the bright side I got to meet my cousins new baby!

 

I saw a meteor shower and baby sat for the cutest kids ever.

 

Kristin and I went back in time and watched 101 Dalmations. (There should be a drinking game for each time the word Idiot is used!)

 

Last night I met a friends new puppy and fell in love. I also finally saw the film Avatar. It was great!

 

August has been pretty low key...which is good!

 

College begins Tuesday. It'll be nice to have somthing to think about. I'm ready for this! Let's go! #DrivenAmition

 

Over all summer mostly was a sheer happiness. A thrill of warmth. A kiss of sun and a frantic dash through the forest nearly everyday. (I literally made friends with the deer.)

 

Summer 2015 taught me to be woman. To be strong and go for what you really want. To not be afraid to stand up for what you believe in. To go after your dreams. To wish on stars. To be yourself.

 

Though I watched a lot of familiar sights change, the most important thing I learned was to embrace change.

 

Something could be waiting right around the corner. Without change you might not find it.

 

I grew up a little this year.

 

Summer 15 you were wonderful! I wont forget you.

 

Cheers. x


Your wild girl who runs through the forest


who lives for the sun


-Kathryn








 













© 2015 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on August 17, 2015
Last Updated on August 17, 2015