Misplaced Trust

Misplaced Trust

A Story by Kakuta

A gust of wind blew past the flags that hung upon the castle wall, making them flap violently as if to greet the visitors. The walls built of solid, impenetrable stone and the guard towers gave no sense of entrapment or security. In fact, it seemed as if the entire castle was made simply for its beauty. I placed my arm around her shoulders as a good friend would. She slowly turned her attention to me and met my eyes with her large trusting green eyes. I felt a twinge of guilt for inside those eyes I saw her trust, friendship and love. And I was going to take advantage of it all.

 

‘What is it?’ she asked softly, leaning against me ever so slightly. She rested her head on my chest and I slowly stroked her smooth, chestnut hair.

 

‘It’s a castle, dear. I thought that much would have been obvious.’ There was a hint of amusement in my voice that I didn’t feel. She looked up and gave a gentle smile that made my heart turn. I forced a smile and continued, ‘It will be our place, just us. There shall be balls and splendid dresses and all the finery you could imagine and there will be the most precious jewel of all -you.’ I leaned forward and brushed my lips against hers. She sighed blissfully, lost in the fantasy I created, ‘Would you like to look inside, Lsa?’

 

Eylsa pushed herself off me and smiled, ‘I’d like that.’

 

My heart turned cold. I felt sick at what I was about to do. I kept convincing myself, ‘She was born to this. She was raised for this. It was her fault she ran away. It’s my duty to bring her here. It’s my job. I can’t do anything about it. I can’t.’ Eylsa sensed my distraction and asked, ‘Wyl, what’s wrong?’

 

I brushed her away, ‘Nothing,’ and then continued in a softer voice, ‘I hope.’ I looked at her raw beauty, her stunning eyes and her infinite patience and sighed. All this was going to be wasted, wasted on a man who has no boundaries, a man who is notorious for his brutal, selfish ways. I looked at those startling green eyes once more and I shook my head, ‘I can’t.’

 

‘Can’t what, Wyl?’

 

‘I�"I can’t hold you in suspense any longer.’ I stammered. A pit opened in my soul and darkness enveloped any remaining honour and compassion I may have had.

 

‘Shall we go?’ Eylsa asked innocently.

                 

I shook my head, ‘No, you go first, Lsa. I’ll catch up.’  She smiled at me, those trusting eyes looking once more at me, ‘Don’t be too long. I’ll be waiting,’ were her last words to me, her last words that were spoken with innocent naivety. Then she turned and walked off into the distance. I could have saved her. I could have called her back but I just stood back and watched her walk to her own doom.

© 2010 Kakuta


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on December 22, 2010
Last Updated on December 22, 2010

Author

Kakuta
Kakuta

Australia



About
I don't know much about me so I can't really write about it here. I like finding out who I am through writing. more..

Writing
Trapped Trapped

A Story by Kakuta


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kakuta


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kakuta