Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Kakuta

Logan spoke a whispered word and the air around him changed into a gust of wind. Logan grinned up at his tutor, who smiled back in return.

 

‘Now, calm them down.’

 

Logan whispered another word but the winds only got stronger. The tutor smiled encouragement, ‘Try again.’

 

Logan tried but the winds wouldn’t calm. The tutor held up a hand to Logan and then whispered a word. The winds calmed immediately.

 

‘Sorry, Magnus.’

 

‘Reward does not come without risk. We’ll try again tomorrow.’

 

‘Wait! Can we try again now? Just once more?’

 

‘Aren’t you tired?’

 

The boy shook his head and Magnus smiled, ‘Very well. One more time.’

 

Logan hugged his tutor and began gathering his will. Logan whispered the word again and the winds changed. They began to circle around Logan. He was making the winds swirl when he heard a sound. The sound of thousands of horses charging. He released his will and the winds stopped. He went to look out of the window.

 

There, outside the City, was a plain of warriors, holding a banner Logan had never seen before. In front of all of them, stood one lone soldier draped in gold and silver finery.

 

‘Hear me, magickers of Rutbah,’ he said, ‘Your kingdom is lost to you. All your lands are in our control, under the line of Parthenai. Now, heed my words. Surrender your magic peacefully and your realm survives. Resist and we will burn down this city. You have until sunset. There will be no negotiation.’

 

Logan looked away. Magnus grabbed the ten-year-old boy and said quickly, ‘Run, Logan. I’ll take care of this. You remember the place we talked about?’ Logan nodded. ‘You will find help there. Go. Now.’ He pushed the little boy out of the room but not before placing a small crystal globe in his hands, ‘Keep this. Don’t ever lose it. It will help you.’

 

‘Magnus�"’

 

‘No time, boy. Run.’

 

Logan ran.

 

The next day, Magnus’ head was displayed on a pike outside the city wall, roasted. The city lost its glimmer. Magic was lost.



© 2010 Kakuta


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on December 22, 2010
Last Updated on December 22, 2010


Author

Kakuta
Kakuta

Australia



About
I don't know much about me so I can't really write about it here. I like finding out who I am through writing. more..

Writing
Trapped Trapped

A Story by Kakuta


Misplaced Trust Misplaced Trust

A Story by Kakuta


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kakuta