Freud Undone!

Freud Undone!

A Poem by John Alexander McFadyen
"

False memory has a lot of science behind it!

"

Those old crows

are coming for us.

Monochrome memories,

distilled reductions

that fill a jar of heads

with thick treacle,

as we struggle to wade

through the mists time

has refused to etch upon

copper plate.

Loftus and Palmeresque

in nature,

they appear as sudden

apparitions.

But apparitions

can be deceptive

if fed with falsehood,

if primed with

mistakes of recall.

Yet men have been nailed

to the cross,

time and time again

by such distorted truths.

 

17/10/19


© 2019 John Alexander McFadyen


Author's Note

John Alexander McFadyen

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I heard that a memory is a memory of a memory . . . of a memory, etc. What does this science you speak of, say about our memories?
T

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

It says memories are easily distorted even soon after an event and that after many years can be most.. read more
and here on halloween ,just in time

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

A couple of weeks early but I get your drift Ron, many thank yous!
 wordman

4 Years Ago

you`re welcome
"distilled reductions
that fill a jar of heads
with thick treacle," sheesh John...is that what is happening to me noodle??? ;] strong relevant social commentary .. direct hard hitting and logical progression of thought in your lines .. i appreciate a lot in this poem ... had to look up Loftus and Palmer .. thank you for the education ... funny with all the horrible and very public trials .. they have not been publicized more .. one can only imagine how many are in prison now ... who were convicted by "false" memory ... i organized and lead our neighborhood watch and when issues come up .. they require accurate information .. color, make model, license number .. descriptions etc ... and it is not an easy thing to do .. unless one has a camera or photographic memory .. which .. after reading a bit about Loftus .. i would question ... i think this is a very worthwhile poem .. should be more widely published says i! well done .. sharp social implications and when has our omen crow ever been used without success ;) thanks for sharing! glad i did not miss is!
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Thank you 'E'. It is a;ll too easy to get caught up in the moment and let 'guilt'/social acceptance .. read more
Good and bad morph with time, our experiences and biases painting the past in different colors and shades. We see what we want to see (confirmation bias) and our minds guide us off-course, sometimes sheltering us, sometimes exposing us. And, sometimes we just need to see two sparrows, not that damned old crow. Good write, sir.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much R.E. and I agree wholeheartedly.
A compelling poem, John. I had to look up Loftus and Palmer--wasn't familiar with those names, but the study on altered memory was fascinating to learn about. I can definitely get behind the idea that not only suggestions but time can alter our memories. I've experienced it myself more than once where I was adamant that something had happened a certain way only to find proof that I was wrong. The human mind is so mysterious. Like a world of its own.

I really like this poem, just for its poetic merits, information aside. The crow as a symbol and the 'jar of heads' are both excellent devices used to create an atmosphere. But, your idea shines, really. And reminds of how tenuous our understanding of the landscape of the mind can be at times.

Great work here.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kindness Eilis. I do so agree with you that we are still in our infancy s.. read more
and the palms get really sore with all those nail holes....they become infected...and there are so many falsehoods flying around out there...
it's like Hitchcock's The Byrds...quite scary....
significant words here, John.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 17, 2019
Last Updated on October 18, 2019

Author

John Alexander McFadyen
John Alexander McFadyen

Brixworth, England, United Kingdom



About
Well, have a long and complicated story and started it as an autobiography on Bebo but got writer's block/memory fogging. People liked it though and kept asking for the next chapter! fools.. more..

Writing