Ex-Sponge

Ex-Sponge

A Poem by Richard
"

I wrote this about a few months ago it was a double edged sword ... about my ex girlfriend and as I realize now, perhaps, a metaphor for my past and changing life

"

I went from the cupboard to the pantry in one swift move. I envy the broom and it’s thankless efforts. He makes it look easy. I suspect my father was of stick-and-hair ancestry but I can’t be sure..


I was an ex-sponge, but a happy one as far as I know. I could soak up the spills from the careless shoe, or eat the mildew left in the hall corner. Of course, I had to compete with a German Praying Mantis named Dolores. She liked to complain about her aching legs. She had 3,001 children afterall. O, how I miss those days. Sunshine pouring into my worn yellow holes and abrasions. The sound of the rain like a crying purple ghost with a megaphone.. a ghost with a story.. a story that went untold until now. Of course, I won’t share it with you here, not now, not in my position. If I was of rank, somewhere higher up in the appliance hierarchy, perhaps. Then, but only maybe. I imagine that this particular purple ghost, Charles Hendrick, sensitive as he is, having lost his ghost-friend; wouldn’t appreciate such leakage. As I tend to leak, the ex-sponge I am, things could get messy. No, I wasn’t meant for indiscretion. I had a clean record. I was meant to scrape by day after day, dish after dish.
It was my time. Into the drain I go to travel first class through the pipes and systems of the great unknown. Soon I would squeeze my middle and pop up into a new home where seashells lined the walls and Australian Shepherds roamed protectively. I would be replaced by the automatic dish-washer (Appliance of the future) .. I would be forced into obscurity, not necessarily needed but not necessarily forgotten. I would sit and brown. I was a happy sponge and those WERE exciting days �" but I knew my time would come.

© 2013 Richard


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on May 14, 2013
Last Updated on May 14, 2013

Author

Richard
Richard

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada



Writing
birthmark birthmark

A Poem by Richard