NEWS

NEWS

A Story by Patrick JL
"

"

I got to thinking about and then got to watching the U.S. national news programs. Particularly the backgrounds of these broadcasts. For those of you that don’t know.  The very crafty people can sit a person in front of a green colored background and the equally crafty mixers can paste any still or live picture onto that screen. So what the public see is a person that LOOKS like they are talking from that location.  Or it’s a real background that’s meant to boost the speaker and what they have to say.  Below you will find some of the most common background types and my comments.

Many others working hard on news stuff. The room should be as big as possible and everyone should look busy. None of them should pay any attention to the stars.

Something that can’t be described by anyone. It can just be different colors moving around. I think this is used when the mixers can’t think of anything else.

The Seattle Space Needle. It kind of speaks for itself but wants to tells the viewer that the person doing the talking is supposed to be located in Seattle. When in reality they could be sitting in a studio in Keysville, Virginia.

Flags. As many as possible! And make sure you include on that looks official but only a few would recognize.

The Live street with people that have no idea they are on camera. They could be touching themselves in “special” places and it would be on the national news for all to see.

Large sections of the U.S. flag. Most people not living under a rock know that Red, White and Blue means America. OH! And make sure it appears to be kind of waving.

The White House, the Pentagon or the Statue of Liberty or Lincoln  when the news story is “official.” Make sure it’s a good angle and if there’s a flag on a pole it’s even better.

Anything out of focus. This can also be used when the good mixer has gone fishing. Just be sure to make the shapes of many different colors. And fuzzy. And move them around slowly.

Very large words. But make them out of focus so no one can read them.

Other Cops that have nothing to do with the story at hand  but they are meant to look mean. They should scowl and  make the whole scene look official. This works when a chief of police has to make a statement but has nothing but a blank wall for a background. Or a flag.

A Lighthouse looks good. Everyone knows what they are. So if the story is about or close to the coast stick one it there. It doesn’t have to be running and in fact that would subtract from the speaker.

This is not part of the background but it’s important. -Lines of text at the bottom of the screen.-  This is important information if you can read it while it screams by. There should be (at the moment of this writing) 1  to 4 lines and it should include at least one logo of the broadcast you’re watching.

One last item. The tables. After CBS used, and is still using, a clear glass table all the other networks are switching to them. I applaud this!  No longer can a news caster put on a white shirt and tie. Slide into a proper jacket and forget his pants. We will see.

There. Perhaps you understand better all that stuff you are watching but don’t see.

© 2017 Patrick JL


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on August 16, 2017
Last Updated on August 16, 2017

Author

Patrick JL
Patrick JL

PDX, OR



About
I have been tolded I should write. Of course this was by folks, bound by civilization, to baste my ego. They insisted the cyber ether was the place to begin. This seemed as good a place as any to .. more..

Writing
NOTHING NOTHING

A Story by Patrick JL