Iowa

Iowa

A Poem by Chloe..Across the Universe
"

in view of the recent floods here in the USA and all across the world, blessings and peace to all affected

"
    

The rain fell gently
the town breathed a sigh of
relief-
from the hot summer sun
that beat down upon the sleepy
town in the middle of America

The rain fell relentlessly
the town inhaled -
a ragged breath
as building after building
home after home
was a - washed with rain
and muddy river waters

People were swept away
no escape
homes, cars, trucks
bicycles, tricycles
little toy boats
the water took

The corn will not pop,
Orville-
it is water logged
Iowa is a river of sadness
thoughts and prayers
wishes and wonders of-


what sleepy town is next
to you I send

May the itsy-bitsy spider climb
up the spout again

© 2011 Chloe..Across the Universe


Author's Note

Chloe..Across the Universe
With all the flooding here the tsunami the earthquake just thought of this..I wrote this when the flooding plagued Iowa a couple of years ago..
flooding and tornado damage came this year in my home state- lives were lost- homes and businesses and FEMA isn't helping! (didn't help much here when this was written)
Thanks FEMA and Obama....You can do it , yes you can but you won't... Illinois we are not ... sorry, upset about this!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I understand why you're upset. It's terrible, what weather can do...and whose fault is it? So many arguments about that one...
This definitely makes readers, or at least me, open my eyes and realize how serious things get...I was just watching Twister yesterday, and this has a similar message I think...
Very nice. I love your works :)

P.S...might I ask (since you don't accept read requests) if you could take a look at the book I'm writing? heh...It would be much appreciated, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Gentle and emotional. I loved your last line...too beautiful ;)

Nothing wrong with reacting to FEMA. My most favourite television blunder will still be that one time when a black person was commenting on hurricane Katrina (on a television network, can't remember which one now)... and said something along the lines of 'No one is helping us because George Bush doesn't like black people.'

Then...boom, suddenly you see a jazz band playing a lovely sweet song that is totally unrelated.

I'm glad to see you're a poet who is unafraid of being an activist!

Posted 13 Years Ago


you should send this to FEMA, Mr. Obama, along with your note. how can we keep letting seemingly intelligent people ruin this nation with their apparent non understanding of what is real

Posted 13 Years Ago


We are under a flash flood warning as I write this review...rains falling at the rate of 1 inch per hour. That's some heavy rain. And it looks like we'll be blessed with a little more. One thing about it, when you live on a mountain, it has to flow downhill.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is so very interesting how delicate the balance of nature is. One year the lack of rain can torment a place and the next ... the rain can come in torrents, obliterating everything in it's path. This is why I think man needs to take greater care in how we treat this earth.

Very good reminder here

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well written poem about the damage caused by nature. I felt the loss and feel like their is more to this poem than just the losses from the flooding...when reading it I was feeling the losses all over the country due to the bad economy in these recent times (I just looked at other reviews and agree with Rock and Roll Cowboy, I must have had a similar interpretation of your poem). I hope the spider is able to climb back up.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read this before the authors notes and I took it as a metaphoric example of how big business kills little business buy undercutting their prices... in a way I was right... this is so sad, I mean don't they get it that the back bone of america is the farmlands supplying our food. A remarkable piece bringing attention to a major problem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

kinda weird... psychedelic shift of imagery!
this is good!
not bad at all! still i find the strength...you can too!
be well!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

natural calamities are something which couldn't be prevented when it occurs and government and other concerned organizations don't help we really get so upset about it... a very good poem...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Floods take aways peoples, homes, dreams and lives. I myself live near a river and lucky for me have never experianced such things. A touching write!


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Floods can do terrible damage... You describe the transition from drought to flood well and end up with a somewhat forlorn hope

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

731 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 28, 2010
Last Updated on May 10, 2011

Author

Chloe..Across the Universe
Chloe..Across the Universe

Smalltown, USA, AR



About
Sometimes i feel like an alien in a strange land..can you relate? I love people and friends are just that to me , friends-if you request me as a friend it would be nice if you read something I have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


forgiveness forgiveness

A Poem by Emily B


rescue rescue

A Poem by Emily B


Contamination Contamination

A Poem by holly