"congratulations"

"congratulations"

A Story by Pat Lynch
"

A trip inside a kid's mind.

"

“Congratulations.” The alcohol on the man’s breath lingered into my nose. Puzzled, I glanced at my friends, who seemed to have difficulty holding in their laughter. In the heat of the moment, I replied politely “Thank you”, and gestured my friends to follow me down the road, away from the stranger.

               

When we had traveled a safe distance, I slowed down, and turned to my friends. We all shared similar looks of confusion and curiosity. Before the words could come out of my mouth, my friend bellowed “Why?” we all shook our heads, the question was eating us alive.

                

As we continued to walk, my friends began to shake off the encounter, and change the conversation. I could tell in their eyes, they were nervous about the situation. I was quite the contrary. My eyes lit up with ideas; answers to his blunt remark. Maybe he was foreshadowing future events? What if the stranger wasn’t really a man, but a figment of our imagination? Was it God? We were walking slowly, but my heart was racing at an uneasy pace. What had seemed as just the usual summer night with my friends had turned into a gigantic brain teaser. I was shocked at my friends. How could they just let this go? Sure the man was coming out of a bar, and obviously had a few too many to drink, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was congratulating us. But what for? I clenched my fists, as if that would generate an answer.

              

  The vibrant moonlight acted as a natural clock, and signaled that it was time to go home. As we reached the beginning of my street, my friend’s face lit up brighter than the moon’s. “Hey guys, remember that guy who congratulated us?” I rolled my eyes, who wouldn’t remember? We nodded in agreement. “That catholic school down the street just won the football championship, when that guy saw us walking in front of the school, he probably assumed we went there, and were on the team!” My friends looked relieved, knowing them; they were probably assuming the worst. “Anyways, see you tomorrow!” I nodded to my friends, and began the short walk home.


 As I watched my friends gallop away with relief, I walked home reluctant, with my ideas locked up and my curiosity shattered. 

© 2013 Pat Lynch


Author's Note

Pat Lynch
Just a quick story, really looking for some input, may be a few errors, thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on February 21, 2013
Last Updated on February 21, 2013
Tags: Short Story, Story, Thinking, Curiosity, Short, Quick Read, High School, Teen

Author

Pat Lynch
Pat Lynch

NY



About
I'm a high school student who is looking at pursuing a career invlolving English in the future... just trying to get some practice, criticism is appreciated more..

Writing
Anymore. Anymore.

A Poem by Pat Lynch