Someday

Someday

A Poem by Paul Bell

He remembered the conversation like it was yesterday.

He was seven years old, standing on the cliff edge with his mum looking out to the Atlantic Ocean.

Someday I’m going to jump off this ledge into the sea he told her.

But not today mum the sun is shining.

Thirty years later he was stood at the same spot

A multi millionaire, the boy had done good.

The world was a good place to be in.

He heard his mothers voice. You have to be strong.

He knew that.

But the seven-year-old boy was always stronger.

He could never fight against him.

Someday had arrived.

© 2020 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

others saw him as strong, he achieved much fame and fortune...but that left something missing in his life...
and he was haunted by that 7 year old self. I wonder if Sexton was write.."suicides wait in the cupboard" for us to use them...there is an inevitability...
a haunting piece of poetry, Paul.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Spot on, Jacob. Success can never be stronger than the voice that calls you home.


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Reviews

Paul Bell,
how much we go ahead in life and achieve our goals as success, we always miss those golden days of love, care, affection and togetherness.
thanks for sharing

Posted 4 Years Ago


I think it would make a great short story if you expanded on the parts. It's depressing sure, but sounds beautiful nonetheless. I don't know what it is about the ocean that makes all of us think of jumping into the vastness. Maybe it's how tranquil the waters are, they're sure to carry away our memories forever, and wipe those slates clean.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Funny how the sea does that, just invites you in like some long-lost friend.
others saw him as strong, he achieved much fame and fortune...but that left something missing in his life...
and he was haunted by that 7 year old self. I wonder if Sexton was write.."suicides wait in the cupboard" for us to use them...there is an inevitability...
a haunting piece of poetry, Paul.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Spot on, Jacob. Success can never be stronger than the voice that calls you home.
paul, i prefer to think positive.... the boy seeing a lot of other rock jumpers having fun jumping straight into the waves before climbing up the cliff again for another fun leap. also the cliff may not have been too high. so years later the successful man now wants to have some boyhood fun.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

The sea never asks questions, it takes all who jump in. Why I stay on dry land.
Sad truth for many who "hustle". After all, that's what the system expects you to do. Find shame in resting and pride in exhausting yourself. Liked this one, short and powerful.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

Some just want to go, no matter what.
Paul, this poem ripped my heart out. Yet, it speaks to the truth about “success” and money. Though a cliche, it’s true... Money can’t buy happiness. It seems a “golden parachute” couldn’t save him. And, it makes me ask, what happened to this boy at seven or before? I’ve been told we never know the pain that drives such dire action unless we’ve felt it. It’s sad his pain not only endured but trapped him. (I’d like you to tell me he jumped with a parachute.. maybe he was a base jumper, but I don’t think that’s how this ends). A moving poem, Paul.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Paul Bell

4 Years Ago

No parachute, no money worries. Just kept his promise. I'm told this happens a lot with driven peopl.. read more
R.E. Ray

4 Years Ago

I think you’re right. For such driven people, they can never find enough success to ease the pain.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
6 Reviews
Added on February 2, 2020
Last Updated on February 2, 2020

Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell