Time

Time

A Poem by Paul Bell

I never met the woman

Never ever spoke to her

She passed by my window three times a day

Ten o’clock, three o’clock, seven o’clock

I never saw her come back

Which I always thought was strange

You walk somewhere

Surely you must walk back the same way

She didn’t look like a woman who did a circular walk

No, the times were significant

She had a purpose in life

A place she had to be

Then one day

She didn’t pass by

Ten o’clock, three o’clock, seven o’clock

I knew why

Time had moved on

I really should have asked

But it really didn’t matter

She still made that trip

Ten o’clock, three o’clock, seven o’clock

I never met the woman

Never ever spoke to her

But the times draw me still

As I watch her pass by

Watch her pass by

Watch her pass by.

© 2020 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think we have all been there. People watching and from time to time been dragged into the wonder of wanting to know more even fantasising about who people are, what they do and even what we would like to do with them! Nicely narrated poem sir.

Posted 3 Years Ago


hmmmmmmmmm beautiful sir .. that introspective moment ... so many questions ... no answers .. just the ticking of the clock ... hmmmmm how beautiful the lines of time in our lives .. parallel, right angled, convex, convoluted ;} ... best sitting still at that office desk ... watching it all go by ... I love the moment .. well done my friend ... funny .. i see an image, setting and repeating scene .. and its all in black and white ...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

There is something exciting about watching the world go by, and when people interrupt going about th.. read more
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

yes ... we are a many splendored thing eh!? :)
Beautifully expressed longing. What's mysterious, is what always draws us more and more.
Many a times, we wish to say a lot more but end up not saying a single word. Silence and Regret's go along together in life. But, no worries - we never know what be might our next muse.
Also, they way you describe the woman and her ways - simple yet enchanting.

I liked the way you mention the time's, it just paint's a picture for the reader.
"Ten o’clock, three o’clock, seven o’clock"

Enjoyed the read, Thanks for Sharing!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Yeah, the unknown always focuses you more.
What a mystery and regret to be! We always face that one situation in life where we want to say something to someone but don't due to reason unknown...and all that is left is regret...and I guess this is how we treat few people whom we should have treated better but failed to..! Superb poem!!!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Aradhana

3 Years Ago

nooo1 i don't have any! lol... in fact the best place to do self study is home coz u have mum and da.. read more
Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Lol, nothing worse than the parents hanging over you. It will be worth it in the end though.
Aradhana

3 Years Ago

yes! indeed!
We do get used to routines and more so in the past year where isolation has dominated our mindset. It's a common part of life. I just think we are more aware of the mundane nature of routine after the experiences we have gone through this year. I like the repetition at the end here. Time passes and things stay the same, and that is when it all gets away from us. Next thing, ten years have passed. Time is cunning, to say the least.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Where did all the good times go?
I blame alcohol for most of it.
A interesting poem shared my friend. The mystery woman. It would stay with me in wonder. Thank you Paul for sharing the entertaining poetry.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

I'll get round to finding out what happened to her.
Now you see her, now you don't and.. it matters. Repetition sometimes becomes the norm and the matter can slide into the mind and becomes a happy illusion.. until it doesn't. Perhaps! There's more to your words than.. it isn't wistful thinking.. it's whatever one thinks.. you've left a fine mystery. I think.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Funny how we miss other people's routines. Need to investigate.
emmajoy

3 Years Ago

Isn't for me to say you should but, perhaps you should!
she was there, then she wasn't...
just like incidents we experience in life that come and go more than once and we wonder why, given a second and third chance, we didn't act upon our instincts. Overthinking makes it so.
Unfortunately. And answers wave a permanent goodbye.
j.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

It is strange how people hold your attention when they're not there.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2020
Last Updated on July 12, 2020

Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Evoked Memory Evoked Memory

A Poem by Mark