The Reunion.

The Reunion.

A Poem by Paul Bell

So, what was it that went wrong with us.

I think it was when I found out you slept with my sister.

Oh yeah, and the strange thing was, I hated your sister, she hated me, and I hated being in bed with her, how dumb was that.

Why did you disappear when I dumped you?

Mum threw me out and told me never to come back.

Your mum didn’t mess about did she.

Actually, she told me to beg you for forgiveness and to marry you, something told me that wasn’t going to happen.

So where did you go.

I took a contract a hundred miles away till the dust settled.

So how did you end up in Spain then.

I came back, but before going home I popped into the bar. Joe told me you had met someone, and you were getting engaged. I just went to the airport and the first flight was going to Barcelona, so I got on it.

You don’t do things by halves do you.

To tell you the truth, the thought of you marrying someone else did me in.

So you just bought a bar and lived happily ever after then.

I actually worked in the bar for a year, Carlos the owner was retiring, so the bar was going up for sale, so I bought it.

Do you stay with anyone?

What, do you mean do I stay with a woman.

Well, you tend to meet women.

I haven’t been in a relationship for 18 months now.

Did another girl break your heart then.

I suppose inadvertently a few girls did.

What do you mean?

I used to pretend they were you, and when that got too painful I just gave up. So I just put all my efforts into the bar and got on with life.

Your mum said you were doing alright, she had even forgiven you, though, that was on the pretext I forgave my sister too.

So how did you and mum get so close then.

Your mum stayed with me when the house was getting redecorated.

I meant to say, it looks fantastic, must have cost a fortune.

It did, but it was worth it. You weren’t the only one to start a new life you know. I got unengaged and followed my dream of being an interior designer, your mum gave me the money and I repaid her by doing the house.

I better give you the news then.

What news.

Mum left the house to you.

Right, don’t think for a minute I came here to steal what's yours, your mum had another thirty years in her, and I’ve got a house.

I know, but you were here for her, doing what I should have been doing.

I’ll sign the house back over to you, and you can plough it back into your bar. Who’s looking after the bar while you’re here

Gabriel is a part owner now, so I’ve left it in her capable hands,

Is she an ex?

No, she’s worked in the bar on and off over the years, but she’s getting married and needed a permanent job.

How did she become part owner.

It’s really hard to keep staff, so as an incentive I told her if she stayed a year I would give her part of the business. I then decided to set a sort of cooperative up for the other staff. In two months time, Marie will be with me a year, and she’ll join the board, after her, John will come on board. It’s really paid dividends.

So, your roots are firmly in Spain now.

They are, but I’ve got a huge decision coming up, and I’m really not sure what to do about it.

Well, sometimes impartial advice helps, so tell me about it.

I’ve been offered the restaurant next door to the bar, and I can definitely see the potential. Gabriel and Marie think it’s a great opportunity to expand the bar, maybe knock them both into one establishment. I can see how that makes sense, but to tell you the truth, the whole thing is a bit overwhelming.

Well, I’m with Gabriel and Marie. Sometimes the decision is made for you. Granted they’ll be obstacles, but if you break them down into little decisions, you’ll be okay. Plus, you have Gabriel and Marie and John to help out, so the burden will be shared. If it was me making the decision, I would start with a blank canvas. You know the town, so what sort of restaurant does the town want, how would you make it different from the rest of the eateries. Remember, the decor makes the establishment, so don’t skimp.

Okay then, the contract is yours, when can you start.

You’re serious, aren’t you.

Definitely, a blank canvas, that’s what you said isn’t it.

If I accept the contract, it’s strictly business, nothing more.

So, are you accepting then.

Yes, this will broaden my CV, plus, I’ve nothing on at the moment.

Okay, there’s something I need to mention to you then.

You’re not sleeping with my sister again are you.

No, it’s about the name of the bar, I named it after you, so naturally the girls will be wondering about you.

Aw, that’s nice, I did something similar, I bought a voodoo doll and named it after you. I must admit though, it's been a while since I’ve stuck a needle in it.

Ouch,

© 2021 Paul Bell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

















Your story telling is brilliant , though a bit convoluted; but it’s the pop out characters that
make this very funny and and enjoyable…. And the twist at the end where “you” the speakers start up as partners with a new restaurant.. and a clean slate…..and the bar named after “her”….there’s lots of crazy relationships here, including the mother, the house, and all the kookiness,I can’t keep them straight, except for the voodoo doll.
Great piece
Best
B.


Posted 2 Years Ago


What a reunion! Your ex and friend are a piece of work. Lots of stuff going on here.... I guess reunions are for catching up, but it seems like she has been pretty successful and you’ve been struggling, dis-engaged, decorating , need for money, ; then she sleeps with your sister, opens a bar in Barcelona, and finally you get a break; convince her sh needs a total makeover of her extension of the bar into a restaurant, and who gets the job? You do! Ha! But then you shoot it back by letting her know you named a voodoo doll after her, and she named the bar after you, so in a sense you got your little revenge back, the needle?
Great story, I missed a few details, but got most of them....
Always enjoy your stories Paul
Happy Easter! Take care
Betty



Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

The sunshine in Spain, puts you in the mood for a holiday. Pity we're not allowed to travel. Next ye.. read more
Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Next year for sure!
I've never tried that voodoo doll thingy
could be good way to practice revenge especially if your opponent outdoes you in every aspect of your being!!
Course, I haven't got to that position in life yet!!

Posted 3 Years Ago


Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Must be a woman thing, they tend to stick things in you. lol

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 23, 2021
Last Updated on March 23, 2021

Author

Paul Bell
Paul Bell

About
I like poetry and stories that tell me something. Sometimes the shortest poems hit the hardest. If I post something serious, don't worry, a funny poem will follow. Don't hesitate to tell me if my po.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Poem by Paul Bell


Full Bloom Full Bloom

A Poem by Paul Bell