Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A Chapter by StevePeck

Jason looked out the window of the plane as they approached the ground. There were trees and fields of the greenest grass as far as he could see. He had no clue where he was, or how long he was in flight. Welcome to Dawn? Where the hell are we?


The plane bounced as it touched the runway, the brakes jerking him forward in the chair as they slowed down. Simon finished his drink and placed it on the table, the glass sliding around from the condensation. Once the plane reached a steady pace, Simon stood up and walked next to Jason. Simon grabbed his wrist as he turned the cuffs, unlocking one, and then the other. He dropped the cuffs to the ground as Jason rubbed each wrist, glad to finally be free. “Be smart, Jason,” Simon started, “Don’t throw any punches. You’re more than welcome to run away if you wish, but you’ll quickly find there’s nowhere to run. You’re a smart kid. I advise you do as you’re told.” Simon looked to the ground and touched the cuffs with his foot. “Let’s make sure you don’t need these anymore.” Simon grinned and walked to the front of the cabin, hands behind his back.


At that moment, Erik walked back into the cabin, followed by Jenna. Her makeup was running, no doubt from crying. This is all my fault. She shouldn’t be here. Jason jumped out of his chair and hugged Jenna. She hugged back just as strong, if not stronger. “Jason…what’s going on?”


“I don’t know yet.” Jason locked eyes with Erik who immediately looked to the ground. “We’re okay now.” Erik’s huge shoulders slouched as Jason held her, never wanting to let go. Despite everything that was happening, he felt safe being there with her, as if they weren’t on a plane that just landed in Dawn. Dawn? Dawn, where? Where the f**k is this? “Let’s go, you two.” Simon waved them to the front of the plane. Jason let go of Jenna, looked at her and smiled. She smiled back.


Jason followed Simon off the plane, stepping onto the stairs leading to the runway. About two hundred yards in the distance was what looked to be a factory. This building only had two stories to it and even fewer windows, but it extended for hundreds of yards each way. Where the building stopped, a large wall picked up, extending as far as Jason could see. This wall seemed to span the entire island " This is an island, right? " in both directions, and this factory looked to be the only entrance. The sky was clearer than ever, the sun rising from behind him to light up the building. This must be where Chris worked.


“Can you tell us where we are? What’s going on?”


Simon stopped and turned to look at Jason, having to shield his eyes from the bright sun. “All in due time, Jason.” He smiled and continued to walk to the building. Jason looked back to see Erik duck through the door of the plane and make his way to follow the three of them. As Jason scanned the area, he realize what Simon meant by having nowhere to run. From what he could tell, there was nothing for miles. If Chris truly was as important as Simon said he was, yet allowed Jason to walk around with one guard and no cuffs, there really must be nowhere else to go. Jason looked once more at Jenna to see her reaction, but she was staring at the ground as she walked, dragging her feet with every step.


They reached the front door of the building and Simon pulled out a card, placing it up to the door. Something inside the door clicked. Simon opened the door and led them inside.


The first room they entered was massive, yet nearly empty. The walls were stale gray, a few pictures of people strewn around the room. There was a mahogany desk in the back with nothing on it. In the center of the room on the floor was a painting as long as Jason was tall. It depicted half of a sun, the rays emanating from the center. Whether it was a rising or setting sun Jason couldn’t tell, but as he contemplated this his eyes were drawn to the bottom of the sun where something darker appeared. As they neared the painting, the dark spot seemed to be only a blemish on the otherwise perfect sunrise. Or sunset. Their footsteps echoed throughout the room as they walked.


Simon hummed as he neared a door in the back. The door silently swung open as he approached it, revealing a hallway that led straight back. Jason and Jenna stepped through, Erik following behind them. Halfway down the hallway was a door with a slit of a window, a bright light shining through. Jason glanced into the window and stopped when he looked in.


A man was lying on a gurney, covered by a sleek, white sheet. An assortment of medical equipment was attached to him, covering most of his face with a mask that Jason assumed was feeding him oxygen. The walls were a bare white, not a single picture or decoration. There was a digital clock behind the gurney, the only color in the entire room. It took a moment for Jason to realize that the clock wasn’t keeping track of the time; it was counting up. One end of the clock was into the thousands, the other side keeping track of the seconds. When Jason tried to get a closer look, Erik gently grabbed his shoulders to beckon him forward. “Keep moving.”


Jason looked over at Jenna to see if she saw the man and the eerily white room. She was looking at him, but only shrugged. “What happened to that man?” Jason asked.


Simon stopped walking and turned around. “What man?”


“The man in the room over there.” Jason turned his head and pointed to the window behind him. Right as he pointed, he felt the wind rush out of him, a severe pain at his stomach. He dropped to his knees and huddled over, gasping for air as he fell. “Jason!” he heard Jenna yell, her hand touching his back. Simon knelt down and spoke quietly to him.


“You are not here on a tour. I am not your guide.” Simon stood back up and made his way down the hallway. Erik grabbed Jason and helped him up, keeping him moving along. Jason tried to walk despite the difficulty of breathing, his vision filled with stars and flashing lights. Jenna remained silent, not wanting to throw Simon over the edge again.


Jason struggled to make it to the end of the hallway, his breathing heavy and labored. Simon reached the far door, pushing it open and letting it swing against the wall. Blue light was shining from inside the dark room, creating a silhouette around Simon. Jason thought it was due to his starry vision, but as his sight cleared he saw the light coming from computer screens in the room ahead of him. Two men were staring at their own computer screens, indifferent to the intrusion and typing away diligently.


As Simon turned to face them, the light from the hallway behind them lit up his face while the rest of his body retained its ethereal profile. He looked directly at Jason and smirked, holding his hands out to his side. “This is my life’s creation, Jason. This is what your brother ran away from.” He dropped his hands and looked at one of the computer screens. “Such beauty. Such…magnificence.”


On the screen that Simon was watching, Jason could make out the shape of a large statue of a man stepping on something. I don’t remember seeing that statue. He could see people walking by the statue, dressed in the craziest outfits. The resolution on the screen wasn’t great, but he could tell that none of the clothes anyone was wearing matched. It’s not Halloween, what the hell are those people wearing?


“Ah yes, their clothes.” Simon must have seen the confusion on Jason’s face. “That is their style of fashion. Quite different from ours, really. I don’t blame them.” Simon turned and smiled, walking toward Jason and Jenna.


“As a matter of fact,” Simon began, “most everything of theirs is different.” Everything? Who are they? And what is he talking about? Afraid to ask another question and risk being struck again, Jason remained silent.


Simon stepped closer to Jason, never looking away. “What, no more questions?” He made a quick move at Jason’s stomach. Jason cringed, awaiting the blow that seemed inevitable. After nothing happened for a few seconds, Jason slowly opened one eye, expecting to see Simon embed his fist right into his gut. Simon only chuckled, backing away.


“We've got all the time in the world for questions now. That,” Simon pointed to the screen with the statue, “that is Dawn.”



© 2013 StevePeck


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

146 Views
Added on February 18, 2013
Last Updated on April 1, 2013


Author

StevePeck
StevePeck

WI



Writing
Outline Outline

A Chapter by StevePeck