Being punished for being too good?

Being punished for being too good?

A Chapter by Pooja Bader ( Pehel )

Yashica sat on the car’s bonnet staring into infinity not realising that it was already 6 am. A little more time and the sun will rise. The sky was a rich shade of velvety orange, with a hint of red making her view fierce.
Fierce
--
One incident after another, Yashica’s heart was tainted. Her paternal grandparents were the main crusaders of it. Every child expects her grandparents to love her and protect her but not everyone is lucky.
The reason Yashica concluded was, since her father was less loved by his parents, Yashica received less love from them as grandparents. It was very well evident as her cousins born to her uncles were showered with love and pampering. Her cousins would disrespect them but the love only increased. When her grandparents had come back from a trip to Shimla, she thought they would bring something for her.
“What have you brought for me, grandpa?” Yashica asked and innocent smile forming on her lips. “Our bags were full. We could only get you chocolates.” He replied. “It’s okay.” She replied. Her grandfather than took out two chocolates from his pocket and handed them over to her.
“And where is my gift?” Asked Parinita from behind for whom her grandfather took out a beautiful shawl and handed it over to her. Parinita was her uncle’s daughter, who unlike her was beautiful, her skin was soft like a feather, fine-looking and fair, and cheeks a deep shade of red and her eyes were grey. She was no less than a doll, but despite the discrimination between the two, they loved each other like Juno’s swans. Inseparable. Looking at the dull piece of cloth which actually cost over a thousand, Parinita threw it away. Yashica was unhappy with Parinita’s behaviour but there was nothing she could do about it.
“I don’t like it, I don’t like the color.” Parinita said and went out of the room with a grumpy face. Yashicawho was observing all of it, then picked up the shawl carefully off the floor and wrapped it around her. “Can I have this, grandpa?” she asked and her grandfather nodded.
On getting his approval she was overjoyed and draped the shawl around her shoulder for at least a month later.
Desperate tries by Yashica were of no use because all she got was… fake love. Fake love feels so perfect, laced with brutality but garnered with worldly promises that would put any historical romance to shame. But for those who don’t get the pure untouched one, fake love is the flawless alternative.
**
Yashica was a blessed one. Her drawings were so flawless that it felt that at any moment the characters would jump out of it. There was something mystically good about her talent. She nurtured her talents, grew on them. She was like a creeper, ugly and unheeded but when it bore fruits like watermelon and grapes, everyone wanted to exploit her. Her magnificence was never tamed yet it was by the spites of the society.
Her cousins would come to her only because she was good at art. Whenever they would need her help in some project or the other they would rush to her and she like an angel that she was, would help them out. “Di, can you make this flower pot for me? I am trying to draw it since a long time but I cannot.” Her younger cousin Aditya said. “Okay, leave it on the desk; I’ll do it after I complete my homework.” She said.
“Oh, di. You are the best. I knew you would do it.” He said and ran off to play with his friends. And all she wished for at that time was to get such compliments every day for the rest of her life.
But it was no sooner that she realised that people came to her only because she was good at it. They didn’t love or care for her, all they did was take the aid of her qualities.
**
“Happy birthday to you…….. happy birthday to you… happy birthday happy birthday.. happy birthday to you!” everyone in her class croons and claps for Yashica. She turned 12 that day, entering the first year of her puberty. “You are looking lovely dear!” Her class teacher patted her back.
“Thank you, ma’am.” She says and sits back on her assigned seat. “It seems like she has applied some Fair and Lovely today. Someone suggest her to use it every day. At least she’ll look a little better.” The girl sitting behind her whispers into her partner’s ear. Yashica glares at them acting strong and not letting tears gather at the brink of her eyes. “What did you just say?” Yashica asked feeling adrenaline rush through her veins.
“Just that you look less ugly today.” The girl said playing a blank face. “Oh, thank you so much for the compliment. Thankfully I could catch hold of the beautician who makes you look good.” Yashica couldn’t believe that she was effective is twisting the entire plot.
“What… what did you just say?” the girl asks.
“Yes, the same one who helps you hide that acne of yours.” Yashica says with a smirk. “Oh did it feel bad? She makes you look a little less ugly too!” She adds as the bell rings indicating that school was over for the day.
Victoriously Yashica strides away out of the school campus and graciously sits in her car. For the first time ever, the naïve, little, scared yet beautiful in her own way, Yashica was elated. She was learning how to live not just survive and she was glad she finally understood was life actually is.
**
Yashica grew up to be beautiful, graceful and thoughtful like her mother, strong and focused like her father. Parents do play a very crucial role in bringing up a child but there was this one person Yashica owed her life to.

It was when she was in 10th grade that she finally she found solace in the daughter of this dainty man who looked after their house. For some reason she didn’t like him being called watchman, he was a noble man and had a heart of gold. His daughter Savita was 5 years senior to Yashica, she made her realise how beautiful she is. Savita was a down to earth person, very excellent in her studies. According to her knowledge, Savita wanted to teach special children, something Yashica was very touched on hearing.
“You know, Savita, I don’t know how win the love of my family?” Yashica said depressed and about to cry. “Oh, darling. Do not worry; I heard that you have problems in studying. I would love to tutor you.” Savita said patting Yashica’s head. And she did. Every day for an hour or so, and she improved, slowly but steadily. All Yashica wanted was someone to believe in her, to help her become a better person. Not once in the entire course did Savita lose her temper nor did she yell at Yashica. Apart from their teacher student relationship, they found friends for life in each other.
Their bond was an indissoluble, indestructible… guarded by the heavens and their pure soul.
“It’s no use, Savita. I am tired of pleasing people. Even though I scored 67% in the prelims, my family doesn’t seem pleased. It’s like my teachers prefer students who are not only intelligent but who also run behind them, bring them chocolates and roses.” Yashica sighed as she sat on the grass and picked a few in her hand. It is surprising how this came from a girl who was just 15 years old. “So stupid of them. They don’t deserve to be a teacher, do they?”
“I don’t know Savita. I am tired. I put a lot of efforts into it. Let’s just not talk about them a while.” Yashica sighed.
“Yashica stop running from reality. This is not going to help you. This is not going to help anyone. Even if I tell you that letting go is the best option, the memories will cripple you from inside. And that surely isn’t a good feeling.” Savita says.
“And you are worth a lot more than that. Do not make cards for them if they don’t value you. Do not go near them. Why give them any importance? Just because they are teachers doesn’t mean you follow them everywhere. You are a born leader and by that I mean you were born to lead not follow some non-sensible people.” Savita.
**
It was summer vacations and she was back at her mama’s place. After eating lunch, her cousins and she were relaxing in the veranda, sharing gossips and laughter. Just then her mama came running and told her that she had failed in her board exams.
“But how is it possible, mama? I have written everything properly. There is no way I can fail.” She said, completely shattered on hearing the news. “You don’t believe me Yashica? I just checked and it showed that you have failed.” He said.
“But..” her mama cut her in between before she could speak anything.
“Was there any other way you would bring disgrace to our family?” Her mama yelled at her. Yashica’s blood ran cold as she stood still unable to look into the glaring eyes of her mama. “Do you have any idea how much insult have you brought in for your parents? You’ve not only ruined your life but their too! Get away from my eyesight.” He says.
For the next two days, Yashica barely came out of her room. She would sit solving the papers over and over again and still couldn’t find where she went wrong.
She barely ate and had completely stopped talking with everyone. Two nights later, it was time for Yashica to leave for her father’s house as the next academic year was drawing near.
“Yashica… Yashicaaaaa.” Her mama called her. Surprised by his gestured she ran out and asked him what the matter was. She was still depressed about the incident that had taken place a couple nights ago.
“The news was wrong Yashica. You’ve passed. The news was wrong. You’ve got 50%. That is so great, dear. I am so proud of you! I don’t know who that person was who told me you failed, but this is amazing.” He said as he passed on the mark sheet to Yashica.
“I am sorry Yashica for saying those hateful things to you. But what I heard was true. Everyone was talking about you, dear. Please consider it and move on. You should be the pride of our family and not the jinx.” He stammered as tears welled up on the rim of his eyes.
Tears rolled down Yashica’s eyes as she looked at her report card and hugged it close to her body feeling proud that she had won over all the odds. Everyone thought Yashica wouldn’t score more than 40 but she did and that was something to be proud of!
“It’s okay, mama. I’ve decided to not let anybody affect me.” She smiles or rather smirks at him with joy.
She had managed to pass and make others around her happy. She finally understood the secret to make everyone happy and was scoring well in your exams. People do not care how your character is or the strengths of your personality; all they are concerned about is the score card that is nothing but a black and white paper. So that’s what she decided to do, if that’s what everyone expected of her.
After battling the demons such as color complexity, inequality, partiality and comparison, Yashica was a true winner. And there, right there she learned another important message of her life- to believe in herself more than anybody else.
When she was back home, at her father’s place, she was a new individual, strong and bright ready to take on the world magnanimously.
--
It is very amusing how a few incidences can make or break a person. When a person is growing there are two forces working together at the same time- one tearing the other person and the other keeping the person going on in life. But it ultimately depends on the person which force she wants to support.
--
On the first day of college, Yashica was all nervous with clammy hands and sweat broken on the forehead. It is every parent’s dream to get their daughter educated in the best possible college in town but Yashica was made of something different. Rather than depending on her super influential father, she chose a college for her which she thought was appropriate for her depending on her grades.
I hope the teachers here are not like the ones in school. But even if they are I won’t let myself be affected by them. She thought to herself. “Hey, can I sit here?” Said a girl with dove shaped eyes and a petite body breaking Yashica away from her thoughts. “Yes sure why not! Come sit.” Yashica said moving away. “I am Diya. What’s your name? The girl sitting beside her asked. “Hi Diya. I am Yashica Oberoi.” She replied.
“Yashica Oberoi as in, of the Oberoi’s?” She asked in awe. “Yes, that’s right.” Yashica replied. “It would be so amazing to be a part of such a respected family, isn’t it?” She asked and all the sour and bitter memories of her childhood were back. Blinking away the tears, she gave her a tight smile and focused her attention to the professor who had just entered in the classroom. “Hehe, that’s nothing like such. We are a normal family like yours, we fight, we argue, we eat together.” Yashica boasts.
“Welcome to college everyone! I am going to make these two years the best years of your life!” She said sweetly. The professor, Mrs. Rege was a 40 something lady who used to teach accounts. Yes, science wasn’t something Yashica wanted to venture in. During her pubertal age Yashica had turned phobic regarding science, thanks to the unstoppable remarks of her aunts and uncles.
She’d fallen in love with the calculations and logistics and only commerce could cultivate her talent. “I know well, accounts is the most feared subject. But what if I tell you that I’ll make it very easy for you? Would you’ll believe me then?” She asked. Everyone was unknown to each other. Though everyone decided to not speak anything, Yashica mouthed, “I do believe in you, ma’am.”
This was the first time in all the years that someone had replied to Mrs. Rege’s questions and in that instance, she found her first favorite student.
Days passed by and it was difficult for Yashica to cope up with studies but that didn’t shake her confidence and will power even a bit.
She was idly sitting in the college library when a peon came looking for her. “Ms. Yashica, Rege ma’am is looking for you. She is in the staff room. Please go meet her.”
Fear made its way to Yashica and her feet felt instantly heavy. “Ma’am, you called for me?” Yashica asked sounding very scared feeling the heaviness of the air around her. “How are you doing, dear? I’ve wanted to talk to you since a few days.” She said. Thank God there was no professor in the staff room, Yashica thought to herself.
“Is there any problem? I see you aren’t able to concentrate on your studies. You are a bright kid, Yashica.” Her professor told her. “Ma’am, I.. no ma’am nothing is wrong.” She stammered. “It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me. I want to help you, will that be okay with you?” she asked. But that wasn’t an issue that was not even her third world problem. It was Yashica’s miserable past of continuous name calling that troubled her. She wanted to see past those things. She wanted to get over and start new.
Mrs. Rege scribbled 10 numbers of a piece of paper and handed it over to Yashica.
Everyone she ever loved only wounded her, but this instance touched her heart. She was over the moon after receiving such warmth from her professor.
“He is amazing at it. Go to him for tuitions. He will help you a lot.” Yashica took the number feeling grateful towards her professor. This was the first time any teacher had been so concerned about her and it made her feel very good.
And so she did as Mrs. Rege said. The tuition she went too really helped her, built up her interest and there was gradual progress in her. In the two years of junior college, neither did she miss a single day of her college nor her tuitions nor that was clearly evident in her results at the end of the year. She ranked 8th among over 250 students which was a very proud thing to do!
Not only Mrs. Rege but all others were very helpful. They helped Yashica whenever she asked for help. They encouraged her to do good not only in academics but also in the extracurricular activities. Since she was good at dancing she would take part in college competitions and win them all! All her professors, from that of English to OC would encourage her to study hard and even told her to sit on the first bench so that they would help her more easily.
It’s true when people say that one performs better in a comfortable environment. Not only did her parents support her but she also had the support of her friends and professors.
“This chocolate is for you.” The English professor said, handing over a chocolate bar to Yashica. Confused by the sweet gesture, Yashica asked, “What is this for?” “This is because you’ve done so well in the exams. It’s a miracle. Always be true to your heart, always work hard and you shall flourish!”
Can you imagine how significantly good Yashica would have felt? The chocolate might not be more that Rs. 10 but this was the first time someone had acknowledged her efforts.
The human mind is messed up, cramped with a lot of thoughts that are non-existent or just made up by the neurons. But still we choose to think about it, think and rot our brains and body.
Motivation was running strong in Yashica, it was like the world was in her control.
There was massive changes seen in Yashica’s behaviour; she no longer was the scared puppy detached from the world but someone who loved doing things on her own terms.
A flower blooms only when it gets the right amount of sunlight, water and warmth. The teachers in college were like sunlight for her, her friends were her warmth and her parents were like water.
**
“Yashica was casually sitting in the parking lot waiting for Diya to come. Just then a guy from her group approached her.
“Hey, let’s go for a road trip? What say, Yashica? Everyone is coming, come with us.” He said with smile. “Road trip? I need to ask my parents. By the way, who all will be there?” Yashica asked curiously. “Me, Diya, Param, Kritika, Ritesh and Kinjal and you, if you would like to come?!” He said leaving out a short sigh. “We would like for you to come!” He adds scratching the back of his neck something which Yashica found very adorable.
Seeing him nervous, Yashica lets out a soft chuckle and says, “I’ll ring up my parents and if they say yes, count me in. But…but only if my parents agree.”
“Dad, do you mind if I ask something?”
“No, tell me what is it?” He asked.
“My friends are going for a road trip. Even I want to go, can I?”
After thinking for a few good seconds, her father agrees to let her go only if she calls him every hour to let know where they reached. “And stay away from alcohol. If you drink or anything of that sort, you’ll be grounded and that isn’t something we would like to do to you.”
“Be home by 8 pm. And do you have enough money?” He concludes.
“Thank you, dad. Thank you so much. I promise I will call you every hour. And I will try my best and be home by 7 pm. Yes, daddy I have enough money with me.” She replied and rushed to tell her friend that she is in for the road trip.
After keeping her father’s call, Yashica looked at her friend who was expectantly looking at her with nervous eyes. “He said yes!” Yashica squealed with joy and hugged her friend.
Yashica’s stomach tightened as she sat in the car with her friends. This was first time ever she was going out without her parents. She felt anxious and happy at the same time; she felt nervous and elated, the fusion of emotions was such a wonderful chemistry, it made her feel so good.
The pool was hormones were playing their part and the music started playing on the car’s stereo system, Yashica relaxed and pulled herself back into reality.
“This is the most memorable day of my life, guys. 10 years down the line I am going to miss this road trip. The villagers were so happy to make food for us and their children, oh, they are so cute. And when we splashed water over the lake, this was the first time I’d been to lake. Those innumerable photos we clicked and shouting on empty roads. It was so fun. Thank you guys.” Yashica said as she jumped off the car in front of her house. Being true to her words, she was standing in front of her house at 7 p.m. “We should go more often.” Diya chirped and got out of the car to give Yashica a goodbye hug.
There was this intense good feeling that she felt on her walk back home. It was heavenly. She met with a few villagers, their life was so simple yet they were satisfied about how it was. These memories were etched on her life forever.


© 2017 Pooja Bader ( Pehel )


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on May 23, 2017
Last Updated on May 23, 2017


Author

Pooja Bader ( Pehel )
Pooja Bader ( Pehel )

India



About
Writer / Orator / Motivator / Storyteller more..

Writing