Candy Cane Shank

Candy Cane Shank

A Poem by Pen Draggin'

Sometime ago I told a friend that

safety only rests in lies,

and that the fountain of youth was no longer

elusive, we had discovered it in wealth.

He said, "You better

watch it or you'll get the Candy Cane Shank."

     A titter and slight jab.

That day we reasoned that honesty

is a concept too evolved

for humans to rationalize and considered

that perhaps religion is of the same realm.

It comes down

to understanding that everything we slaughter for,

     the faith and the unexplained,

are things that man

shouldn't attempt to contain.

The jesters will chalk it up to irony

and cackle their f*****g clown heads clean off.

The goddamn believers, welcoming it all with open arms;

     Jesus Christ.

And when we're all standing about the aisles

we can't buy bail to

we will know that we are livestock,

stuck with a shank and tasting the sweetness.

© 2010 Pen Draggin'


Author's Note

Pen Draggin'
Totally scrapped the original idea. This was so much more fluid. Only took me minutes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You're amazing. F**k you for ever saying otherwise.


Posted 14 Years Ago


This new version really explores the symbolism of the candy cane. It is fluid and has a wit about it that is both profound and sweetly biting.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


I dig it a lot. And I'm glad you're happy with it as well. Brilliant concept and true throughout.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great work!:) loved it!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


I say well done.. Candy Cane Shank ..the title was so great I had to read it and I was not disapointed at all it .. the sweet weapon is words here.


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


I said wonderful before and I meant it...it's hard for something you do not to be wonderful, but this was totally unexpected. It's beautiful my dear. It's by far, one of my favorite things you've ever written. It only took minutes because you didn't over think it. You didn't analyze it too much, and these words flew out of you with an ease only equal to your ability to captivate me. It's rhythm is musical and the content makes it not only one of your most intelligent pieces , but also one of the most important. It has umph, it has power and it's got some real balls...unadulterated passion is what you soaked it with, even if you didn't mean to. My favorite part about it is its overall tone. Considering the subject matter, the entire feel throughout is one of peace and acceptance; like, here's the brutal truth and it is ugly but it is what it is. There is not one line that I don't find to be true and honest. The word that comes to mind is noble...it's a very noble piece, like you've just performed as service or a duty...I'm rambling cause I'm tanked but you get the point...I'm in awe.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wonderful my dear, love the rhyme scheme and the verbage. I could only ask for more...you need much less help than you think. Trust me.
p.s. not enough people use the word cherub - let alone in the right way - you're so smart you make me shiver. See you soon darling.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


I dig it. And I'm glad it's finally up for me to read instead of seeing "Unpublished". That was always aggravating. Then again, I'm needy.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 7, 2009
Last Updated on April 6, 2010
Previous Versions

Author

Pen Draggin'
Pen Draggin'

Portland, OR



About
Hi! I'm Kelsey, I'm 22 years old with a passion for poetry. I write because it is innate and, quite simply, I'm pretty f*****g good at it. I love the rain. I will always belong to the Northwest. I sa.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


No. 5 No. 5

A Poem by Pen Draggin'