Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by PenguinEmpiress
"

this is just the start of a new journey...

"

Prologue

 

The land was coated with frozen white snow. A blizzard. The wind howled as it pushed against the trees and bushes with strength. A frozen lake was iced over and blanketed with snow - much like dug hole with leaves spread over it. It was a frozen wasteland, an island in the middle of nowhere… This is where the meeting of the Kings took place…


         A brown and golden flag flapped violently in the wind as its ends tipped with ice. This flag embroiled with a roaring golden lion, was not of one but two. Two soldiers held these flags high above their heads as a third - not quite a soldier - rode behind them on a bay stallion: coated with a large brown and golden coat of a saddle. The third held his hood as it threatened to fly from his head and gripped the reins so slightly tighter.


         Peering into the sky, the third noticed the great stream of smoke from a far off barracks that sat way off into the distance. Of course the third could not see the barracks because of the blizzard but he followed the trail of black smoke that disappeared into the blizzard sky. He kicked the stallion slightly into a trot and pulled slightly at the reins when he had caught the two soldiers pace.


         He pulled his hood away from his face and brushed back the hair that went straight into his eyes as the cloak hood fell to his shoulders. One of the soldiers looked petrified when he had pulled off his cloak and had no idea what to do. While the other put his flag into the same hand that was holding the reins and grabbed the cloak’s hood and shoved it over the man’s head. The man surprised by this wobbled on his saddle at the sudden loss of sight. Using both hands he pulled himself up onto the saddle properly, than grabbed the hood and pushed it up enough that it just rested in his head. He grabbed the reins and puffed out a sigh.


          “Your Highness. We are in a foreign county’s land. We cannot risk exposure” said one of the Soldiers


         The King let out another sigh and thought’ you say that but there are two flags with Katharine’s symbol on them’


         Their horse’s footsteps were blown away as they advanced on the Barracks of the snowy wasteland. Closer to the place of warmth and confusion…

~

Being inside probably had never felt better to the King. It was so warm and no matter how cold it was, each time he had to step inside it just seemed to get better. His kingdom may be the closest of them all to this meeting place but he was always one of the last to arrive. ‘The others mustn’t work all that hard’ is all he thought.


         Walking down the hall of the barrack the King came to a stop outside of two large wooden doors, they were engraved with swirls of gold with golden handles and hinges. Taking notice of the large wooden table that sat just outside of the doors reach, the King saw multiple weapons varying from swords and axes to bows and arrows and a few pocket knives, there was even a hair pin. Undoing the buckles and straps of his sword and arrows the king placed them on the table, closest to the door just encase. He placed his bow on top and undid his cloak before folding it and placing it next to his weapons of choose.


         He felt a sudden chill at the removal of the cloak but didn’t let it show - even though there was no one around. Tapping the tips of his boots of the stone floor he removed some of the snow, before heading towards the large wooden doors. Grabbing the handle the King pulled one of the doors open and moved inside before the door slammed shut behind him.

~

The sudden slam of the door was brought to the attention of two other Kings and a Queen. The Queen of Luna and The King of Katharine stood - The king was crouching - by a burning fire. Clearly they had only just gotten there moments before the King of Shileen had arrived. The last King, King of Orthest sat at a rounded red wooden table that had four other seats. Each under a flag of sorts.


         Katharine’s King stood and smiled brightly at the appearance of Shileen’s King. He came over to the other and wrapped his arm around his shoulder in greeting, giving him a sort of one armed hug of some kind.


          “Rouva! It’s so good to see you! How long has it been? 2? 3? Years?” Katharine’s King greeted happily


         Katharine’s King was a middle aged man with skin that was tanned but still pale, he had a head of shoulder length blonde hair that was quite soaked from his journey. The King’s eyes were blue mixed with brown, making him unforgettable. But that was something completely different to his fighting ability.


          “5. it’s been 5. But I would of much rathered a decade before seeing any of you, though. Especially you, Maxencen” Rouva stated blankly


         Orthest’s King let out a loud hearty laugh at Rouva and said:


          “Still not cute at all I see!”


         Rouva’s cheeks just spread a tint of pink at the thought of being called cute at the age of 32 and being a man of all things.


          “Leave him be Endor. You can pick on him later” the Queen said


         Endor was a large and built man, he has huge hands and feet. His hair was red as ginger though it was mixed with greys of old age. His eyes were hazel as the nut and his body covered his tanned skin with scars.


          “I don’t even see the point of my being here” Rouva said after having come back from the embarrassment.


         The Queen moved round so that she could lean on the fire place’s stone wall, and looked at Rouva. Maxencen sighed and removed his arm from Rouva’s shoulder and leaned against one of the five chairs. Rouva moved over to the wall and like the Queen leaned against it.


         But truly Rouva couldn’t think of a reason why he was present, his Kingdom was the most lonesome and solitary of them all and wished not to be involved with the other Kingdoms. So what was the point of appearing at a court of Kings when he wished not to be involved at all?


         “You may like not to be involved Rouva. But this is something that all the Kings” The Queen Coughed” and Queens have to be a part of” Maxencen said


          “It’s not a choice of wanting but of having too” The Queen added as she pushed off the wall.


         Just as Rouva was going to interject the heavy wooden door was thrown open and slammed heavily near Rouva. He jumped slightly at the bang but regained his composure seconds after. Stepping passed the doors was a man and a woman. The man was tall and pale and wrinkled over the face and his hands. His hair was patched with greys and rich brown that was hanging down his back. His dull green eyes seemed to judge everyone as he looked them over, But Rouva seemed to bring a sick smile to his face. The woman that stood just behind the man had long raven black hair that was greying all around, but her odd hairstyle seemed to hide most of the greys. She was very pale and was wrinkled under her eyes. She seemed to look directly at the Queen that was on the other side of the room, and lifted her head just that bit higher to seem better than her.


         “Sorance, Eleanora! What a pleasure” Endor said grimly


         “Oh no King of Orthest. The pleasure is all ours” Sorance said with his sick and gruff voice


         His eyes just seemed to drift back to Rouva however, while Rouva stayed put and looked directly into his sick and dull eyes. Of course Rouva knew Sorance wasn’t looking at Rouva’s eyes but a bit further up.


         Rouva himself was a tall, tanned and handsome young man. He had platinum blonde hair that had slightly darker ends compared to his roots. His hair was tied into a short ponytail with a red ribbon though his hair still hang in his face. His blue eyes just seemed to glare at the older man. But the one who spoke first was the woman: Eleanora.


         “Oh Rouva, look how big you’ve grown” Eleanora was right in front of Rouva as she put her hands on his chest while moving closer to his neck. Rouva grabbed her wrist and glared down at her. He jerked her hand away from his neck and moved past her and towards Sorance. Sorance stood in glee as Rouva came towards him.

         “That hair of yours Rouva"“


         Sorance hand moved quick and gripped tightly at the ponytail and hair on the back of Rouva’s head. The grip forced Rouva to lift his head back and chin up. But just as Sorance had gripped Rouva’s hair, Rouva had held a sharp sliver short knife to Sorance’s neck. The knife pecked at Sorance’s neck hairs and Sorances grip on his hair held tightly.


         “You’ve gotten quite good with a knife, boy” Sorance growled


          “You touch me and I will cut your throat!” Rouva said


The Pair stayed locked like that until Maxencen and Endor pulled them apart. Rouva allowed himself to be pulled over to his seat and his knife removed. While Sorance scowled and pushed and yelled for Endor to get off of him. His wife Eleanora stood behind him as he took his seat.


         “No blood yet, Cecelia” Maxencen whispered to Cecelia


         Cecelia just looked at him and shook her head before maneuvering dress to allow herself to sit on the seat in front of Luna’s symbol " which was positioned next to Shileen and Katharine.


         Cecelia is a beautiful young woman who was known throughout the Kingdoms as the most beautiful woman to rule. Cecelia had fair pale skin, with scars crawling up her arms and back. Her rich brown hair hang down her back to her waist, it was pulled back out of her eyes but was out. Her eyes were a beautiful silvery blue of colour.  


         Next to her Rouva had his arms crossed and was glaring across at Sorance. Maxencen sat down next to her and laid his hands out palms down on the table.


         All Kings and Queen were seated as Endor took his seat between Sorance and Rouva " if it was anyone else the two would have torn them apart to get at each other. The Five Kings and Queen sat in silence as another meeting began. No one knew who to talk first. Cecelia let out a breath she didn’t realise she was holding. ‘War’ she thought ‘that’s all, than say no more’


          “War” Cecelia said simply


          “We can’t just sit here and do nothing again


         No one spoke as Sorance let out a loud cruel laugh " his wife smirking behind him. Rouva just looked disgusted as the man laughed while Cecelia just looked at the man.


         “War!? You wish to stop war!?”


         “You object? Emperor of Drakon”


         This brought Sorance’s attention. He had not been called such a title by Cecelia " no one ever called him Emperor, not since he became a mad man.


         But Sorance Questioned “And how is it you plan to stop all wars?


         “With a speech and a peace treaty? Do you expect us all to become like this one!?” Sorance holding his hand out to Rouva


         “Watch your tongue, Sorance!” Cecelia yelled


         The room fell into silence as the argument came to a sudden halt. Cecelia’s and Rouva’s chair’s scratched at the stone floors as the two stood. Cecelia’s chair had fallen in the commotion and the sound of it hitting the stone seemed to stretch on and on within the quiet.


         “You have no right! No Right at all!


         “Too comment on my way of ruling!” Rouva yelled


         He had long gone and slammed his hand on the table and was glaring crossly at Sorance, who just sat and smirked at the other King.


          “Sit down Rouva” Cecelia said


         “You expect me to sit and "“Rouva yelled


          “SIT DOWN!”


         Rouva looked at Cecelia in complaint but did not argue further. He simply pulled his chair in and did as he was told: he sat. Cecelia let out a breath and turned and picked up her chair, before taking her seat. The room once again fell into silence. It was an irritating kind of silence, the sound of nothing but the ringing in your ears, but the irritating silence was broken quite as quickly as it was created.


         “My quire has been wanting to sing their song for quite some time now. Queen Cecelia - Luna’s Cecelia” Eleanora spoke in her hateful tone


         Sorance’s feral grin sat firmly on his face as those words reached his ears. Those around the table - Rouva, Cecelia, Maxencen and Endor - had a rather grim reaction. Eleanora’s quire wasn’t truly a quire. It was an army. Their song was a battle cry and Eleanora was the one that sang it the loudest while in a deranged train of thought inside her castle. Eleanora would sing it several of hundreds of times, frightening the servants and messengers.


         Eleanora looked so deranged at that very moment as if she would sing it right then and there. Her left eye seemed to twitch and her hair fell out of her odd hairstyle " it was an unwanted sight.


          “Please M’lady Eleanora. There is no need for your - your quire to sing” Maxencen said as he stood pushing his chair back and out of the way.


         “No one wants to hear that old hag sing” Rouva muttered


         Maxencen gently grabbed Eleanora’s hand and swiftly pulled her towards his seat. She sat down as her raven hair fell out of its styling. Maxencen moved to be in between Cecelia and Rouva when she had been seated but was nearly pushed off by Rouva because he sat on the arms of his and Cecelia’s chairs.


         “Please enlighten me, King Maxencen. Why is it you wish not to hear my wife’s lovely voice sing out?” Sorance’s grin seemed to widen even more if that was even possible.


          Maxencen coughed " cleared his throat.


         “No one wants War, Sorance.”


         Eleanora had started to hum at this point.


         “War is unnecessary!” Cecelia yelled


         “It bring nothing but chaos and mourn”


         “But it brings us victory and celebration! Does it not?” Sorance’s smirk just seemed to grow


          “Yes it brings us victory, but only after a battle of death has been won” Maxencen said


         Endor and Rouva watched the argument from their seat, but there was something that caught the attention of Endor. Eleanora. She as singing the melody of her ‘war song’. It would only be a matter of time before she actually started to sing the song. And it won’t go unnoticed.


         But Cecelia and Maxencen seemed not to take notice of Eleanora’s haunted muttering but instead continued on their pointless argument that would not be won anyway. Sorance was a despicable man but he was not stupid, he was far from it. He knew how to draw out the fight in someone - expect for Rouva - and he knew how to get them on the battlefield, Endor had always hated that about the man.


         As Eleanora actually started to sing Maxencen and Cecelia started to falter in their battle of words against Sorance. They both turned to Eleanora who seemed just as many had said she was. Mad. Her nails were tapping on the table to the imaginary beat that she seemed to swing her head too. Her song was cruel and vile:


“Why destroy what man created”

Why falter when it’s so clear”

 “Glorious war”

“It’s like a blooming flower”

 “So beautiful as blood splatters”

“Why deny it?”

“When it was created by man”


         But then she went back to humming the song. It was only one part of the song but it brought horror to all of their faces " expect Sorance, who was smiling as if he couldn’t be happier.


         Sorance’s sudden loud laugh made them all jump and look back at him. He had pushed his chair back as he had stood. His large wrinkled hands lay flat on the table as he looked at them all. It was a menacing look he gave the: one of triumph. War had started.


         “I declare here and now!” He shouted “War on all of you!”


         He grinned down at their frowning faces. Rouva stood.


         “I’m not joining any war


         “If you do not want to join voluntary, then I’ll just force you too” Sorance smiled his awful smile down at Rouva. When Rouva had left the meeting later that day and arrived back at his Kingdom he had order everyone to be prepared and awake for anything, and if anything looked like an enemy:


         “Shot it”

~

         “That could have gone better” Maxencen said to Cecelia. They were the last two to left.


         After the dispute, Sorance, Emperor of the Drakon Empire at declared war on all of the Kings and Queen that said at that rounded table of ‘peace’. Endor had even a laugh and told him that he would be the first to strike the Drakon Empire and that it would be the final strike.


         Cecelia and Maxencen had not agreed so much.


         War was the last thing either of them needed nor wanted. But with Eleanora’s song of war - that simple and vile song - it meant serious war. But this new establishment was the least of King Maxencen’s worries.


         Cecelia gave Maxencen a look of ‘Really? Was that comment necessary?’ but then looked back to the door. Both Cecelia and Maxencen were both seated " Maxencen sitting in what used to be Rouva’s seat. Cecelia gave a sigh and rubbed her head as a headache approached, but then she looked to Maxencen.


          “What will you do now?”


         Maxencen looked to her. He frowned and just played with his blonde hair near his ear. His eyes pasted Cecelia and he noticed her annoyed face and glaring eyes. He let go of his hair.


         “With this war or that other matter?”


         “Which do you think?” Cecelia didn’t seem as if she was in the mood for games so Maxencen decided he wouldn’t play any.


         “Right…. King...King…. Tell me again why I can’t just left my Brother take over?”


         “Because your brother is a good for nothing two timing backstabbing monstrosity! Who, may I add, Is trying to kill you!” Cecelia was clearly angry but she still seemed to say it so blankly.


         “Right…”


         “Maxencen. Surely there’s someone who you trust that can pull it off? That isn’t your brother!?”  


         “I wish there was…” Maxencen smiled grimly


         “I don’t know how you can still trust him - even if he is you brother - after what he’s done! After all he’s lied to you about!” Cecelia complained. She had been there when he had committed is greatest sin against Maxencen.


         “It’s harder not to forgive family, Cecelia”


         “I know, but still…” She placed her hand on top of his and rubbed her thumb over it.


         “But there is someone…” Maxencen suddenly said


         “Yes?” ‘Who’ is what she wanted to say


         “I’ve actually never met him, but one of your soldier’s told me about him once”


         “One of mine?” She was confused to say the least


         “Said he was hard workin’ and quite friendly


         “Apparently he’s my nephew”


         Shocked was one of the many emotions Cecelia was feeling at that time. Cecelia knew of one of Maxencen’s nephews - She thought he only had one - and he was nothing like what he had just described.


         “Which soldier was it? Where is he from?”


         “I didn’t catch the soldier’s name but he had red hair. But he said the boy was from Cartha.”


         “Cartha… in Katharine?”


         “Said his name was Adaies Grayth”…..

 



© 2016 PenguinEmpiress


Author's Note

PenguinEmpiress
Ok this is just the prologue. It dont really like how it turned out so please give me any feedback to make it better. This is just a trial run to see how people react to it and to see what people think i need to change. so please review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

“You’re Highness. We are in a foreign county’s land. We cannot risk exposer” said one of the Soldiers --needs fixing: You're/your confusion. 'You're' is the contraction of 'you are', with an apostrophe to indicate the omitted letter.

'foreign country's land' --So where are they? Doesn't the Highness know the boundaries of his rule? If not, why not? Doesn't he know what the neighboring countries are? Again, if not, why not?

If your writing program has a spell check function USE IT! 'Exposer'= exposure

Good luck.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PenguinEmpiress

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. i really appreciate your comment. I'm not the best a spelling so i kinda suck. .. read more



Reviews

The writing is wonderful and I like the story line. But I'd like to suggest adding a little more to the descriptions of people and where they're from. I got mixed up on who was who while I read. With a bit of editing I think this will be near perfect. I do like the way you started it. Mystery and war usually make for a good beginning. I'll definitely read more of it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


PenguinEmpiress

7 Years Ago

I'll definitely get into where they're from later on in the story! I just need to get the inspiratio.. read more
MightyMouse

7 Years Ago

Yep, but that's the point. If you could write it perfect the first time, then you're perfect, and no.. read more
PenguinEmpiress

7 Years Ago

Exactly, even if you think you're perfect it's still smart to reread your work and find mistakes
excited to read more of this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


PenguinEmpiress

7 Years Ago

awesome to hear!
First of all, I remember reading a chapter from this book, probably in october,2015. I guess you are trying to combine those chapters and create a book, right?

In my opinion the prologue is too long, it should be considered as a chapter. But, what you wrote is really a great one. I like this fiction for the detailed description, this actually holds the readers' attention and the detail is perfect.

I suggest you to re-read the prologue, if you think the chapter needs major edit, you can edit it. But, the best thing is that the writing is always wonderful whether you edit it or not.

Posted 8 Years Ago


PenguinEmpiress

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I have thought before that maybe it is a little to long - but I also didn't want .. read more
“You’re Highness. We are in a foreign county’s land. We cannot risk exposer” said one of the Soldiers --needs fixing: You're/your confusion. 'You're' is the contraction of 'you are', with an apostrophe to indicate the omitted letter.

'foreign country's land' --So where are they? Doesn't the Highness know the boundaries of his rule? If not, why not? Doesn't he know what the neighboring countries are? Again, if not, why not?

If your writing program has a spell check function USE IT! 'Exposer'= exposure

Good luck.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PenguinEmpiress

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much. i really appreciate your comment. I'm not the best a spelling so i kinda suck. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2016
Last Updated on February 7, 2016
Tags: conference, Kings, Queen, past dilemma, violence


Author

PenguinEmpiress
PenguinEmpiress

QLD, Australia



About
'Do not pity yourself. If you wallow in self pity, life will be an endless nightmare' ~ Dazai Osamu I'm a loner .o./ Guess i should write something other than that, hey? :p. Ok lets see, I pers.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by PenguinEmpiress


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by PenguinEmpiress