A Mile High

A Mile High

A Poem by Mr. Deft Diction
"

Inspired by Jay-Z's "Pray". The homie Cyntax is featuring the song on his page and it took me to this place. I hope you all enjoy

"

Blessed to be back...

blessed to be black.

Blessed to have sprouted a seed;

blessed to breathe, with the ability to leave a legacy,

in fact....

blessed that she has a smile like her mama,

and already she smiles back.

Blessed to have survived shoot-outs in East St. Lou;

blessed to be hard to the core,

so much so that I only know truth.

Blessed to still spit fire, even though they try'na ban me from the booth.

Blessed to be able to bust down a bigot

with the wittiest attire if they need proof.

Blessed to be so open-minded, I feel like my brain don't have a roof;

so as that rain crashes down,

the slight acidity helps to replenish my roots.

Blessed to have withstood the cold in some fresh Timbo boots.

Blessed that I am who I am,

whether in prison garb or a fresh, tailor-made suit.

Blessed they ain't never trapped my body,

so my mind is free, too.

Blessed to know the cost of a consequence....

blessed that I walk in these shoes.

Blessed that women know my name and real men know the same.

Blessed from the Most High in ways unfolded,

as yet to be explained.

Blessed to be an outsider but still stand on the same stage.

Blessed to be getting stronger with age;

so I hope the blessings remain.

 

Amen

© 2008 Mr. Deft Diction


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I saw your name in the notices or whatever it is and thought this dude will not disappoint me.
I like the attitude and life in this poem. I am a non-street Brit for whom East St.Lou is a place of total mystery, I won't say romance, but I would like to know if I would have more than a 1-5 pct chance of surviving there.
Again...I don't want to go to jail...but the prison-garb to tailor made suit speaks of a range of experience that is beyond me.
But, but.......... I LOVE the line so open minded, my brain don't have a roof...brilliant, it makes me smile. it is witty and intelligent in equal measure. Total respect from across the rolling Atlantic.



Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Newly born with an enchanting smile. I truly hope your valuable virtues and values transcend into your daughter.

Wish you the best of luck with her, along with your sensational writing. Great work here, it really defines the father in me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blessed to know the cost of a consequence....
blessed that I walk in these shoes.
Blessed that women know my name and real men know the same.
Blessed from the Most High in ways unfolded,
as yet to be explained.
Blessed to be an outsider but still stand on the same stage

kick-a*s poem.....sexy lines!!! it is a blessing for sure....but its sad most of us miss it... i think every god damn one should read this poem once and imprint in their minds!! awesome read....

:) Smiles,
Poetic Soul

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

man...i've missed a lot...you have a new born now...congratulations man...anyway...good write

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Designate a hook and add a verse or two more...sheeeet, you got so much potential.
Just all sorts of good lines here, the acid rain that replenishes your roots is great, the
open mind and brain with no roof is great, the out in the cold with fresh Timbo boots
is great. From experience being locked up, the only thing they can't take away is that free
mind and damn, they try to take that too. Just keep your head high and counting those
blessings cause sooner or later they're the ones left confessing.
Always a pleasure to read you my friend, keep up the good work.
I have a feeling if you hear a hot beat, you'd be the ghost writer that reaches the street.

J.P.O.et





Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOW! I was so feelin' this right here. Yeah, you are totally one of my favourite writer's.
I'm pretty certain you will be published one day, if not already.
Jay-Z is one good inspiration and I love the song Pray.

You really did a great job with this, and I sure in hell felt it from your soul and heart.

"Blessed to be an outsider but still stand on the same stage."

Brilliant.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Well expressed, the feelings are strong and spit with fire. We are today siting on a time bomb, about to explode.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

"Blessed to be so open-minded, I feel like my brain don't have a roof;
so as that rain crashes down,
the slight acidity helps to replenish my roots".
This is my favorite part.
I give you a standing ovation, this was crazy man!

Bravo!


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Missed you Peoples, especially after reading this piece. Your daughter is absolutely beautiful, and a beautiful wife, too? The world, and mic is yours. Looks like America is about to get it's first black President. Not my choice, but he is my President. Man, I hope he can pull this country together. I will follow his lead. Looking forward to more works from you. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You r blessed my brother,this is hot, (it feels like my brain dont have a roof), that is so deep

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Finally! This is a nice piece that speaks volumes and screams loudly. Lyrical Love forward this piece on and she hit it out of the park suggesting I read this. I am glad I did. Kudos to my girl. I feel the truth and the intensity with this. Thanks for expressing yourself and sharing. Don't stop.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

843 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 27, 2008

Author

Mr. Deft Diction
Mr. Deft Diction

Morrisville, NC



About
“HI, BABY! HOW ARE YOU?” KAYLEE RAN FULL SPEED INTO A CROUCHED AUNT TABITHA, KICKING A LITTLE WIND OUT OF HER AMPLE FRAME. AUNT TABITHA IS MATTHEW’S STEP-SISTER, AFTER THEIR PARENTS.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain