Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by LoveYourself

“It’s a full moon tonight Ori! I can’t go out tonight… you know I can’t be around town too long!” I said to him.

“Okay, okay. But be sure to come back tomorrow morning bright and early. We have school.” As I turned away, I could feel his eyes on my back and his mouth slightly slack as if he was about to say something, only to sigh heavily in defeat. Orion, being my second cousin, was also cursed through our great-great-great-great-grandfather’s blood. Humans by day and blood-thirsty dogs by night. The werewolf infection, curse, whatever you wanted to call it, was a pain in the a*s. Out of both our families, only we were cursed. I being an only child had no choice and Marcus, well he was the oldest of his siblings so it was natural he got it first before his siblings. That’s just how it worked I guess in the werewolf world. Oldest born got it for sure, but even those that are born after are carriers of the infection for their children. It is rare that a girl is ever born first in a pack though, so when I came into the family, my father taught me everything he knew at a young age and prepared me for what was to come. Even through all the preparation and training, I still hate it all. Between Ori and I, he had already learned how to control the Lunar Change. I was still new to the great power I had within me. Even though it was still light outside as I walked to the car around the side of the house, I could feel the wolf inside me lurking at the edges of my humanity, trying to claw its way out more and more with each passing second. I walk to the car and open the driver side door, sliding into the seat, shutting the door as I pull my feet in. Turning the car on, the engine roars to life and the dashboard lights flicker on. I pull out of my parking spot and drive off towards the forest at the city limits. Coming to a stop light at a busy street, my paranoia kicks in and it’s as if everyone is staring. Like they all know what I have to hide deep inside of me. Just as the light for the other cars starts turning yellow, I resist the urge to look to my sides to see if anyone really is staring and just wait while the light ahead turns green. I continue driving down the road, just barely able to see the city limits a few miles ahead up the road as it begins to elevate up into the mountains. I pull off to the side of the road into a motel’s parking lot, getting out and locking my car, grabbing my backpack from the backseat, dumping out all of its content. I could care less at the binders, papers and pencils all over my backseat at the moment. As the sun begins to get lower in the west, it gets harder and harder to hold onto my human skin. I sling my empty backpack onto my shoulder, shutting the door gently, bending on my knees, hooking my keys onto the underside of the car where they can’t be seen dangling down. I look around cautiously before jogging off down the dirt road towards the trees, disappearing into the dense forest. I pull off my sweatshirt and take my belt off as I walk deeper into the trees, stuffing it into my backpack. Jumping over a fallen log, I nearly trip over an extending root, giggling at my clumsiness. I am now so far into the forest, I can’t see any lights anymore except for the very little light given off by the setting sun. I sit down on a tree stump, dropping my backpack to the forest floor beside me in the dirt. As my surroundings get harder and harder to see, the pain inside becomes more and more unbearable. I get up and start to peel off my clothing one by one, knowing it won’t serve any use much longer. I grab my close and shove them all into my backpack, looking around in the dark, straining my eyes to see. I spot a fairly large bush and walk quickly to it, pushing my stuffed backpack down into the branches and leaves. I walk only a few paces away when a great pain strikes my stomach area, crippling me, forcing me to my hands and knees. I grip my sides and try to hold it in, my heart beginning to pound against my chest as I try as hard as possible to keep my breathing under control. But at this point, nothing I do has any effect on me anymore. Holding onto what I haven’t got, I finally let myself go as a loud crack sounds off from my body. My limbs and insides twisting and turning into something new, I groan in pain, gritting my teeth to keep from screaming out loud.

“F**k my life…” I say to myself through my teeth, the last thing I manage to say in my barely human state. As soon as my silent cries and groans turn to whimpers, I know I don’t have much time before the shift is done. With the last remaining seconds I have with human eyes for the night, I look up at the clearing in the trees, gazing up at the stars and the large full moon barely clearing the tree tops now. My eyes begin fogging up, closing them tight I let out a scream with a closed mouth. The sound quickly turning from a human scream, into a wolfy growl. When I reopen my eyes, everything is clear and I can see everything around me. I stand up quickly from the ground, shaking off the dirt and leaves from my dark black pelt, my long ears flapping against the side of my head. A few yards off, I can spot a pair of eyes gazing at me through the trees ahead. It’s a wolf. Laying my ears back against my skull, I lower my head as a growl rumbles deep inside my chest, baring my teeth at this strange wolf. Being upwind, I was at a bit of a disadvantage. As the wolf stalks over towards me, I begin to realize I may have just made the wrong move.

What if it’s a guy? I could be in some deep s**t right now! I think to myself, backing up slowly, tucking my tail between my legs. As the wolf closes in on me, I can finally see it’s coat better.  Jaxxson. The son of my dad’s best friend who also has the “disease” passed through both our family’s generations. I perk my ears forward and raise my tail high again.

“Jaxx!! You a*****e! You should have at least said something to me.” I run the distance between us and spring at him, tackling him to the ground and bite down on his neck, growling playfully at him.

“Haha, nah. It’s fun to mess with you and make you look like a scared little puppy!” He wiggles around beneath me and tries pushing me off of him with all four of his paws, succeeding. I stumble off of him, shaking out my pelt.

“How long ago did you shift?” I ask.

“A few hours ago…”

“How long have you been in the area?”

“Awhile.” At that reply, I could hear the smirk even in his thoughts. I bark in a sort of wolfy chuckle, sitting down on my haunches.

“So…Lilah,” Jaxx gets up from the ground, shaking out his grey and dirty white pelt, “Wanna go hunting?”I can’t help but smile.

“Like I have anything better to do in this hellish form,” I get off my furry a*s and onto my feet, starting off towards the direction he had come from before.

“Oh stop. It ain’t that bad Lilah.”

“Whatever you say Jaxx.” Without waiting to see if he’s following, I run through the trees with a great amount of speed building beneath my feet. The faster I run, the more invisible I become, blending into the night. As I continue running across the soft forest earth, I lift up my head and let out a long singsong of a howl, letting it carry out through the trees, hopefully carrying out to the city. Maybe my family would hear my singsong cries into the night sky. All I knew is that nothing about my human life really mattered, or even occurred to me right now. I was aware of people I knew as a human, and who they were as wolves, but school, work, and nothing else mattered but this moment. Being a wolf, I just allowed myself to let my human thoughts go, allowing the true animal I was inside, to come out and play.



© 2011 LoveYourself


Author's Note

LoveYourself
Spoken words are in bold and the words exchanged while they are in their wolf forms are in italics because it is all telepathic talk. Yes, kind of like the Twilight series, but please do not compare the two. Please. -____-'
I just got this random urge to write this book out of no where when i was sitting in my Chemistry class. I wrote about half of this chapter in Chem class...though I didnt finish the classwork..I got in some deep shit for that xD ...and the nerve of the teacher!! HE almost threw my chapter paper away! D:

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow!!! I really thought this chapter was really good. I am a huge fan of the fantasy creatures. You have me hooked. :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Added on October 14, 2011
Last Updated on October 14, 2011


Author

LoveYourself
LoveYourself

Long Beach, CA



Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by LoveYourself