Scramble. Scramble. Scramble

Scramble. Scramble. Scramble

A Story by peter Charlesworth
"

It could have been >>> So easily

"

SCRAMBLE! SCAMBLE! SCRAMBLE!

12 December 2020

14:10

Time summer 1958 The Western Allies and the Russian Block countries were at a cold war with each other.

Both sides trying to outwit the other; but at the same time wary of going too far, so as the begin a new war, one form which there could be no winner, both sides would be totally annihilated.

 

The atmosphere is extremely tense, something has upset the balance> But what was it?

No-one really knows. It is possible something one leader has made about the other. I

t could explode at any time; just one more wrong word or comment, that is all it would take

It is about four hours flight    between the capitals London and Moscow

 

The costal radio monitoring stations are at Maximum BLACK ALERT   at Radar stations, listening for any wrong phrase or word.

Every word has to be recorded and reported.

They have a direct line to the Prime Minister, who in turn is connected to The White House and the President of the USA.

The RADAR stations are also at BLACK ALERT stations looking for any unusual aircraft or missile activity.

 

On RAF airfields all Bomber and Fighter stations are on standby.

Both fighters and bombers have had extensive low altitude training.

At a level to keep them out of  RADAR detection beams.

It could happen that a single aircraft could avoid detection until it was minutes away from its target.

With the English Channel being only 50 miles or so wide; and a light bomber flying at close to 360 miles per hour, it would only take the attacker eight minutes to cross the water.

 

The air crew were living in their flight offices.

Ground crew, were on standby alongside and inside the aircraft.

The aircraft were connected to mobile ground units,

Each armed only by the dreaded ultimate weapon of destruction; they had a full load of fuel, giving them 12 hours of flight time. 

On the word the ground crew would start the aircraft engines and remove the heavy power unit and all flagged air intake covers, those inside would exit.

Day followed night; night followed day, still they waited for the word. Stand Down, or GO.

Go to what?

Once that button has been pressed and everything has started, there could be no way back.

It would be total destruction; of the world.

There could be no return

 

The RED TELEPHONE rang.

As it did on all the Bomber Command stations. It was SCAMBLE.

Time for action had arrived.

Almost at the same time.

Two senior NCO's, Sergeant, and Corporal; picked up a ready prepared box containing a Very gun and red cartridges.

They went on the roof of Air Traffic Control and fired off three of the red flares.

To warn all aircraft to keep clear of the area.

The Tanoy was sounded across the airfield.

 First a wailing, air raid, sound.

Followed by the words.

"Scramble; scramble; scramble; all personnel to action stations"

 

The aircraft engines were started, the ground crew left their posts, all the removable flags were taken to one side and counted.

The air crew climbed the ladder,

Pilot and co-pilot first.

The ladder was removed, and entrance door shut and locked from inside.

The six aircraft left their stations in order - should any aircraft fail to move, then the rest would just taxi past.

 

On the clear taxiway they touched fifty miles per hour at the end they took the hairpin turn onto the runway; no waiting this time, line up and full power, lifting into the sky;

First one turning right, coming right round still climbing, round over the family living quarters, the second went Left turning over the Army Ordnance base.

The four remaining similarly alternate right and left.

They now set out for the locations in the sealed orders, each one different.

All six aircraft airborne in under four minutes.


 In Air Traffic Control the operations clerk entered the details for each aircraft on the actins board. In the Destination column sealed orders ETD ATD columns:

Destination Sealed orders. 

There should the ultimate decision be taken, it would remain for evermore, or for some passing space traveler, to read about the end of civilization as it was; and to wonder at human stupidity. 

 

The pilot of number four had warned his wife.

In the case of such a mission she should collect their children, take his car which was kept full of fuel and had food for four days and set out for his parents in the far north of Scotland.

She was warned not to speed or bring attention to herself in any way, so that she would not give any reason to be stopped and delayed on her journey.

 She must stay there as long as possible.

 

In the sky half of the aircraft climbed to forty thousand feet.

The rest went to a low level at two hundred and fifty foot.

They reached the appointed co-ordinates.

Navigator

"Change direction to (new direction)

They flew on; at the coast they turned off the navigation lights.

 

 

Meanwhile on the fighter stations they awaited the call to intercept any invaders.

"Bandit, at (Altitude and position)

The Bombers were nearing their ultimate target.

"Target dead ahead ten miles to go skip.

They had a fighter aircraft  on their tail.

The pilot held his course; if they were shot down now, they would crash close to the target and the result would be the destruction of all for miles around. 

It wouldn't matter anymore.

Bombs away skip,

The pilot climbed away from the scene; the aircraft released from the heavy load responded eagerly to his hands.

No explosion skip - was the bomb a dud?

Or hopefully a delayed action fuse

The navigator gave new instructions.        

Two hours flying later,

New directions skip.

Another two hours flying.

"Climb to Thirty thousand feet;

We are one hundred miles from home.

Radio operator you can break radio silence now.

Call up home base now forty miles to go request permission to join the flight path.

 

Air Traffic Control.   

"Altitude barometric readings etc."

"Welcome home,

Message from Bomber Command Head Quarters, Mission was a total success, bang on target,

We were the fastest to get all aircraft airborne; three minutes and forty-five seconds.

 

The ground crew now had to prepare all aircraft for another mission.

 

Wild Rose

Dec2020

 

 

© 2024 peter Charlesworth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on March 14, 2024
Last Updated on March 14, 2024

Author

peter Charlesworth
peter Charlesworth

Carlisle, N West, United Kingdom



About
Retired engineering lecturer more..

Writing