God Hates Us All (Part 2)

God Hates Us All (Part 2)

A Chapter by P.J. Lowry

 

      Devon followed Helen through the busy terminal, and out to the street which was even busier. Since it was a little before nine in the morning, people were on their way to work and doing so in flocks. To go against the flow would feel like trying to swim upstream in a raging river, but sometimes you had to do that to get to wherever you wanted to go. This time out Devon followed Helen as she went with the crowd until she slowed down, grabbed his arm and led him into a small shop that didn't look like much. He was expecting a cafe like environment but it was actually more of a breakfast diner, serving many things besides coffee. She led him to the back corner of the place and took a booth tossing her bag on the side where she was sitting. He could tell by how she sat down that she had parked herself here many days, but was unsure how often she had company. It was a nice place to seek comfort before a grueling day at work, so he could understand why she enjoyed coming here in the morning.

 

     A nice, middle aged woman with a cliché apron came over to their table to quickly offer them something to drink, "Coffee?" she quickly asked.

 

     "Please." Devon said with a smile, "And I'd also like a menu."

 

     "All righty." the lady responded as she left to get the coffee for the both of them. Devon noted that she didn't even need a response from Helen to know what she wanted. Chances are she only came over to the table to even ask because he was there with her. It was a sure sign that Helen was a regular and likely a very loyal customer. She could probably park herself here for hours and not hear a peek from anyone because on the time and money she dumps into this place everyday. It only took a few moments, for the lady to come back with their coffee and she left cream and sugar beside his, but hers was already made up and ready to drink, "I'll be back in a moment to take your order." and before Devon had a chance to respond she had bolted to another table.

 

     Devon quickly scanned over the menu and then looked back up at Helen who was already two sips into her java, "Not getting anything to eat?" he quietly asked.

 

     "Nope. Just here for the fuel."

 

     "I see." Devon said as he kept scanning the menu, "You're one of those people."

 

     "What kind would that be?" she asked, eager to find out what other class she fell into on this particular day.

 

     "Coffee addicts." Devon answered as he put the menu down and started to pour the sugar into his own brew, "Don't get me wrong, I like a good java in the morning but the world as I know it isn't going to fall apart without it. I have the feeling that if you went without any kind of bean like brew in the morning, you would be a very grumpy ogre."

 

     "Possibly," Helen playfully agreed, "But for the sake of mankind, I've never tested that hypothesis." she took another sip and the counter attacked, "You seem like the kind of person who enjoys something to eat before the day starts."

 

     "A well fed worker is a productive worker." Devon said as he took a sip of his own cup of caffeine fuel.

 

     "You look like a three squares a day kind of guy too." she said with a smile. He was sure she wasn't making fun of his weight, just the way he seemed dedicated to starting off with food rather than java, "But I guess we are entitled to our own beliefs, whatever they may be."

 

     "People are entitled to a belief, but I don't think one is necessary to be a decent, law bidding member of society."

 

     He was ready to get into another philosophical debate, but the start of round two was interrupted by the waitress who returned to take his order, "I'm in a hurry, I hope you made up your mind."

 

     Amused by the beside manner of the staff, he let is pass and made his order, "I'll have the mushroom-Swiss omelet, with whole wheat toast and a glass of orange juice please."

 

     "All right," the lady said as she wrote down his order, "I'll be back with that in about twenty minutes."

 

     After she left, Helen didn't hesitate to lobby over the next barrage his way, "So I guess you're a tad annoyed when someone tries to preach that this country was founded on Christian values."

 

     "Very annoyed," Devon quickly replied, but it was the understatement of the millennium, "There's evidence that suggest that at least a quarter of the founding fathers were agnostic at least, if not full blown atheists. It would explain how something like the 'separation of church and state' managed to make its way into the constitution. Many people fled Europe to get away from religious persecution, so to suggest religion was the founding force behind this nation is absurd. They all came here to get away from religion, not give it a new territory to wean off it."

 

     "So what about the freedom of religion?" Helen chipped in, not ready to fully retort just yet.

 

     "Well, that was to respect the religious feelings of the masses. People are free to practice religion, they're just not allowed to use their religion to push around others and force them to take part. And because there's more than one religion, and many different fractions within each religion, the separation was made so the government would be neutral and able to help everyone, not just the majority."

 

     "So I guess you would also be against the posting of the ten commandments in public places such as schools and courthouses?"

 

     "Well, I doubt anyone would like it if it was a quote from the Torah or the Koran. People want to be treated equally by the law, and you can't claim to be unbiased if you have one religion's law planted on the lawn or in the lobby. The issue isn't censorship of religion, but an attempt to prevent legal favoritism. Asking the government to make a special place for any faith is an act of asking for special treatment that no sect is entitled to."

 

     "So you would be for the bulldozing of all these monuments?"

 

     "Well, the practice does seem a little hypocritical." Devon said as he was beginning to hope his food would come sooner than later.

 

     "Hypocritical?" Helen repeated, a tad offended by the idea, "I really hope you got a good reason to justify that statement."

 

     Devon could sense her offense and tried to be gentle with his response, "Well, this part of the world belonged to someone else four hundred years ago. It would seem awfully hypocritical to have a sign that says 'Thou shall not steal' nailed to a piece of land that was clearly stolen from the Native American."

 

     Helen was going to respond to the statement, but the lady returned to refill both their cups and then wander off for another table to do the same there as well. Helen started to sugar her new cup when she continued, "Are there any other commandments you have a problem with?"

 

     "Well the adultery one is a tad outdated. I mean it would be more beneficial to society if it said something like thou shall not rape or molest. Intercourse conducted by two consensual adults doesn't even deserve to be on the list." Devon paused for a moment as he stole the sugar to sweeten his new cup, "You're also not allowed to covet my female slaves or my ox."

 

     "Yeah, I'll give you that one. Female slaves is a tad outdated." she was about to say something else, but Devon's breakfast arrived. It was a well made omelet made with at least three eggs, and the toast wasn't burnt but crispy. The potatoes on the side also looked pretty seasoned, and therefore reasonably edible. Helen took one look at his plate, and seemed to crack, "Can I steal a piece of toast?"

 

 



© 2008 P.J. Lowry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Like the way it moves along. I don't like too much descriptive narrative. I prefer to picture the scene myself and let the characters get on with it.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on June 16, 2008


Author

P.J. Lowry
P.J. Lowry

Hamilton , Ontario , Canada



About
Born in Ontario in 1975, P.J. has been writing fiction and poetry for over 25 years. He earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Memorial University of Newfoundland in 2002, majoring in English language .. more..

Writing
V-Day V-Day

A Poem by P.J. Lowry